The Hugung

The Last Imoogi
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

When Sandara reached the familiar entrance, the sweet scent of flowers welcomed her. She carried her skirt gracefully as she walked on the stone steps before a few guards and palace lady greeted her. Han Sanggung, despite being a servant exclusive for the King was tasked to assist her the entire day. Of course Kim Jisoo, the Queen told the King about inviting their aunt-in-law today so Yi Sung naturally lent his own servant for Sandara.

As she was guided further in to the pavilion seated in the middle of the vast courtyard, Sandara was finally able to catch a glimpse of the three women. She wondered though, why one of them seemed too familiar.

"Aunt-in-law!" The Queen stood up quickly to go to her side and greet her but Sandara bowed to her politely.

"Greetings, Jungjeon Mama," she said but before she could even rise, two more voices greeted her.

"Greetings to Aunt-in-law," the two consorts chorused.

Sandara straightened up to meet the two other women but her eyes narrowed into slits when the familiar face was finally before her.

 

"Sun Hae???" Sandara said in disbelief! What a surprise! Her former fellow student in Cherry Blossoms House, was now a concubine of the King?

"Aunt-in-law, you know each other?" Kim Jisoo asked making Sandara finally laugh. "Yes, yes. We've been in the same women's institution before. It really is a surprise to see you here—" Sandara finally recalled that even concubines have specific ranks. Han Sanggung introduced them to her.

"Manim, this is Sun Sugui, and Bae Sugui. Both junior second rank concubines, Manim."

Sandara remembered hearing Bae Joohyun's name before for she was the most rumored first concubine just a two years after the King rose to the throne. There were numerous rumors about the palace then. She remembered one was that the queen and this Bae Joohyun were best friends and that Bae Joohyun was supposed to be the crown princess during the selection but since Kim Jisoo came from a powerful family, she became the final pick.

But how come she didn't hear of any news about Sun Hae being the second concubine? Sandara was still trying to absorb the fact that if the King hadn't thought of marrying her off to Kwon Jiyong, she would have ended up in the same royal harem with Sun Hae.

She silently prayed and thanked the heavens for letting her marry Kwon Jiyong instead. Just the thought of seeing Sun Hae everyday made her skin prickle in annoyance.

With a cheerful smile, she acknowledged the two concubines. "Nice to meet you, Sun Sugui, Bae Sugui..." 

"We have been looking forward to meet you, Aunt-in law," Bae Joohyun softly spoke.

"Yes, since we heard you were coming, we decided to pay respect to you as well," Sun Hae seconded.

But Sandara could just narrow her eyes at Sun Hae. Really now? She thought. How could such a wild beast suddenly act like a tamed puppy in front of her? 

This Lady Sun Hae was the only daughter of the Minister of Personnel from the Northern Faction but because of money and connections, was able to enter the Cherry Blossoms House. Back then, this woman bullied Sandara since she was just a simple country bumpkin while Sun Hae was a girl from the capital. If not for Seol and Byeol, she would have ran back home and never went back again. She learned to fight back in the end. She didn't want to worry her parents. Besides, what's there to be afraid of when Head Mistress favors her over Sun Hae obviously. 

When Kim Jisoo and Bae Joohyun were both delicate and sweet, Sun Hae looked cunning in every inch. She's pretty too, she could give that to her, but she exuded an alluring aura and appeal similar to that of a gisaeng.

Sandara decided to just play the role of an elder that she was and sat beside the Queen, the two concubines in front of them.

As tea and snacks were served, they discussed the whole afternoon about the upcoming Samjinal. They have decided to hold a Cherry Blossoms sight seeing at the countryside since the King and the others were said to be going out for a hunt. The location was yet to be finalized by the King though. That exactly is going to be over a week from today, on the third day of the third month, so immediate preparation would be needed.

Having experienced this first time, Sandara naturally felt left out sometime during the conversation. To this, she felt Sun Hae's mocking grin while the Queen would comfort her and explain things further to her. Bae Joohyun would serve her tea every now and then, while Sun Hae would purposely suggest too many things making it look like she was the the most educated person among everyone else.

Sandara was starting to get annoyed and the moment Sun Hae spoke to her directly, she almost snapped.

"Aunt-in-law, are you catching up?" Sun Hae asked before laughing timidly. "Don't worry, we understand you're having a hard time since this is your first time joining in for the preparation for a palace event."

Sandara's lips twitched in anger, her hands balled into fists, but she took a deep breath until she regained her composure. She was about to ignore Sun Hae but the latter spoke once more.

"Aunt-in-law, is uncle with His Majesty?"

Sandara shook her head. "No, he's not. He was out for business,"

"Oh..." Sun Hae feigned a pitiful expression. "It must be hard to be married with His Excellency. I heard he's a cold man. How unfortunate you had to come here without him escorting you,"

Sandara bit her inner cheeks. This girl was really testing her patience! This time, unable to control herself, she replied. "I don't want to trouble my husband anymore after being sick for days. He had to postpone his earlier appointments for the sake of taking care of this wife. If that's still being cold to you, then maybe we have different understanding of the word."

Sun Hae scoffed. Park Sandara, how dare you lie! Everyone in the Kingdom how stone cold His Excellency's heart is. "This one is just worried for you, aunt-in-law. You don't have to be shy and make up stories. We can see by the way your husband didn't even care buying you accessories," Sun Hae covered her lips and eyed her with mockery.

"Impudence! Sun Sugui, apologize immediately," Kim Jisoo scolded the woman but Sandara still had something to say.

"How about you try serving the King better? I heard His Majesty was a cold man, too. Rather than worrying over matters of another husband and wife, shouldn't you worry about your own first?" Sandara let out a dazzling smile despite her discomfort, unaware that her words hit all of the three women's heart and not just Sun Hae's in one go.

Not too long, an announcement echoed in the whole courtyard.

"Jusang Jeonha has arrived!"

Everyone elegantly stood up and shuffled aside to make way for the King but when the King arrived, he immediately went to Sandara.

"Jeonha," Sandara bowed.

"Aunt-in-law," Sandara sometimes feels awkward at this form of address to think they're only same age. "I heard there was a fire a few days back in uncle's estate. Forgive this nephew for not being able to drop by and see the issue."

Sandara shook her head. "No, it's alright.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter