It Finally Rained!

The Last Imoogi
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sandara was excited to see what Hanyang looked like because after all, she was a country bumpkin who grew up by the East coast county of Gyeongju. Though Gyeongju had the best view of the East Ocean, of course she was curious to see the bustling and busy streets of Hanyang.

But what a let down! Kwon Jiyong hated noise and unwanted attention so he made sure to take an alternate route around the mountain. Ever since before, she's always left a window in her palanquin open for air and a good view but this time she wanted to shut it close if not for her discomfort being confined in such a small space. In no time, they made it to the bridge towards the Southern gates of the palace.

She was still in a low mood when the curtains before her were lifted, and when she looked up, Han Sanggung was there to welcome her.

"Han Sanggung!" She was somehow delighted to see a familiar face. She quickly stepped out of her palanquin and smiled at the palace lady.

"This servant greets Manim!" Han Sanggung was excited to meet her as well. When Sandara looked around, Kwon Jiyong was nowhere to be found.

Didn't they arrive at the same time? Sometimes she wondered just how fast Kwon Jiyong walks. 

Will there come a time that they'll walk together?

She sighed dejectedly. She was about to ask about her cold-hearted husband but Han Sanggung beat her to it. "His Excellency dropped by at the ancestral hall. Ma-nim should come follow and pay her respects as well."

"Oh." So Kwon Jiyong also know how to pay respect to his ancestors? She curved her lips down as if unconvinced. Still, she took her time to look around the palace on their way. It was a really vast estate and there were too many servants walking here and there. She even received a lot of cold glances despite them bowing before her. But she understood people are entitled to their own opinions. She wasn't going to live in the palace so she just shrugged it off.

No wonder, Kwon Jiyong went to a seclusion. A person as aloof as him could not survive in here. Though in a way, she was sure these maidservants wouldn't be giving him cold and mocking glances. Lovestruck and smitten were probably the best way to describe these women if it was Kwon Jiyong who passed by. Who would know just how many women had fallen on their knees to adore him?

She shook her head at the thought. What was she thinking? But somehow, she managed to raise her head up high. She became the official wife of His Excellency. Her title alone speaks weight. What's there to worry?

When they reached the Ancestral Hall, her legs were already aching. The Southern gates were too far from here! They should have taken the main ones!

But who was she to complain? And how, when she was inside a palanquin being led on by her so called husband?

"Han Sangung!" A eunuch came running towards them when they were about to enter. "Han Sangung... His Majesty said... His Majesty..."

"Say it immediately! What His Majesty???" Han Sanggung grew impatient. Why is this eunuch being so nervous?

"His Majesty ordered this servant to tell His Excellency's consort to be present at the morning assembly!"

"What? But Jeonha specifically instructed me to wait on His Excellency and Ma-nim so that they enter together? What's with the sudden changes?"

Sandara also sensed something was off. Based on the King's personality, he wouldn't ask audience from her alone. In fact, the King even entrusted her in the hands of his uncle. Also, does the King change his mind that easy? Between these two servants, she trusted Han Sanggung's words more. Sandara looked at the young eunuch and studied his face. There's a way to find out.

"Eunuch," Sandara tapped the man by his arm and in a brief moment, she went into his thoughts. A flash showed his fear for a man around his fifties. The man was wearing a red garb and has a pair of high eyebrows with frown marks on the corners of his mouth, just then, it shifted to a face so familiar to her. Kwon Jiyong? He was afraid of him as well? So does that mean this eunuch knew that what he was doing was wrong and feared Kwon Jiyong as well? Sandara let go immediately. When she opened his eyes, the eunuch was shaking as he stepped back.

"Ma-nim! It was not appropriate for you to—"

That touch. She realized she committed a mistake yet she held her head up high and regained her composure. "I just wanted to ease your nervousness. I understand it's your first time meeting me. Next time, speak clearly to me and don't dawdle."

"Forgive this servant, Ma-nim!"

Sandara nodded before smiling at Han Sanggung who was also bewildered by her actions. "Let's go," She said before glancing back at the eunuch. "We shouldn't let His Majesty wait, right?"

 

 

"His Excellency's Consort has arrived!" a eunuch announced upon her arrival and when the wide doors were pulled open, Sandara was stunned.

All the ministers and officials in their respective blue and red garbs were present while the King was seated in his high throne, looking down on his subjects! The King seemed puzzled when the eunuch outside only announced Park Sandara, what more when she stepped inside alone?

The officials all had to acknowledge though, when they saw her. Such exceptional beauty didn't even exist in Hanyang. Even their daughters paled to her beauty. The closest contender would be the Queen. 

All the while, Sandara had to take a deep breath as she clasped her hands.

Today was the first time she ever had faced tons of male nobles in her life!

She braved herself to step in and mentally cursed Kwon Jiyong for leaving her alone to deal with this, but she didn't let the chance to look at these men's faces one by one pass by. Who could that official be, she thought. As she looked at them, she couldn't help but notice that though some showed admiration on their faces, a few ones were throwing her scornful glares and disdainful scoffs, but she returned them all with a mocking smirk.

How dare you dirty old men look down on me!

With her usual grace and posture, she bowed and paid respect to the King.

"This aunt-in-law greets The King, His Majesty!"

This!

The entire room fell silent at the choice of her words. Aunt-in-law! Of course, how could they leave that very fact? This woman after all was the King's aunt-in-law!

How could anyone look down on such a rank. Even if the King is the ruler of the country, without his parents, the only left elder of the royal family would naturally be the royal uncle. But the royal uncle is now married so naturally, this aunt-in-law is an elder of the royal family, too!

The King proudly grinned, surprised yet satisfied at the same time. "This nephew greets Aunt-in-law, as well." Yi Sung replied, acknowledging her presence as part of the family.

With this, the entire assembly room roared with greetings to her. "Greetings to His Excellency's Official Consort!" They said making Sandara raise a brow as she finally saw the man in the eunuch's thoughts.

The man was standing in front at the right side meaning he was the Chief State Councilor. Kim Byung Chul, she thought. This would be him. She turned to the King once more before softly speaking, "Jeonha, what matters is this aunt-in-law needed here for?"

"This King didn't know you arrived on your own, aunt-in-law. Uncle said the two of you will be coming today,"

Some officials snorted as they shook their heads, most especially Minister Kim and Minister Lee.

Kwon Jiyong was a man who hated assemblies and meetings. He was a man who hated going inside the palace. Besides, he was a man who never paid a single glance to women. How much more accompany one?

When Kwon Jiyong told them two days ago that he'll ask his wife about the punishment, the two opposite faction heads knew this was only for a show of his power to suppress the their influence in the court. Would he really come with a woman in tow? Impossible! Knowing Kwon Jiyong, they swore to heavens the cold-hearted guy won't even spare the woman a care!

Minister Kim laughed. He understood Jiyong for so long that he knew the man will never need a woman if he wanted to tame them in the first place. Kwon Jiyong never even attacked them outright even before. And when he heard that Park Sa

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter