Happy Birthday

The Last Imoogi
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was one chilly morning when they finally reached the port of Busan. The weather was better than that in Ming though, since Busan is in the Southern part of the country. No wonder, Sandara thought. They traveled for so long that she wondered if the capital was that far from Ming and it turned out they were headed to Busan instead. She was curious though as to why they suddenly went directly here. Did Kwon Jiyong find out something was wrong? Was there a trap that awaits them in the usual route? However, none of her questions were answered. Kwon Jiyong remained indifferent all throughout the trip. Despite this, he would still help her down or guide her, but after that, he was back to being his aloof and lofty self.

"Achoo!" Sandara sneezed loudly immediately earning Kwon Jiyong's attention.

"Mama, I think your cold has gone worse! What should we do now?" Byeol asked in a very concerned tone.

Sandara coughed a bit and instructed Byeol and Hong. "Byeol-ah, Hong-ah… Find Doctor Lee. There is no one else I could trust when it comes to medicine except him."

"Forgive me, Mama. But I heard Doctor Lee went on a vacation far away." Hong retorted.

All the while, Kwon Jiyong was eavesdropping on the entire conversation. Hah! Try searching the entire Busan, and even Joseon for Lee Donghae. You will only be wasting your time! Worried about his wife whom he ignored for days, he was about to assist her to the palanquin when Ryung interrupted.

"How about me, Mama?" Ryung interrupted. "Don't you trust me?"

"Of course I trust you, Ryung-ah." Sandara patted the boy on the head. "It's just that I'm quite worried you might put me to sleep instead of curing me. Look at what you did to His Highness. Don't you dare try doing it again or I shall punish you myself."

"Yes, Mama." Ryung sadly mumbled.

"Don't worry. This is nothing. I'll be able to recover with some good herbs."

Meanwhile Kwon Jiyong was internally rejoicing. If she would only always take his side, wouldn't their married life be so peaceful and happy? However, his joy was cut short upon a sudden mention of a name.

"Mama! I remember now. Didn't  Prince Yunwei and Yunqi of Ming send you some expensive herbs as gifts? I'll check out later if there's something for colds and brew some when we arrive at our destination!" Seol loudly announced for everyone to hear, including Kwon Jiyong, who instantly turned his head to them. When did Yunwei and Yunqi's gift ever slip past his attentive eyes? Was there another encounter Sandara did not tell him about?

When he was about to ask, Sandara feigned innocence and walked past him. "Right. Brew me some of it when we arrive. I feel so cold. Let me ride on the palanquin now."

"Ye, Mama!"

"Hold on!" Kwon Jiyong stopped them. "Your lady is going to ride with me."

"But Your Highness, it's too cold!" Seol retorted as she pointed at the black stallion in the corner. However, Kwon Jiyong remained unfazed and helped Sandara up to the horse before riding behind her, as if he heard nothing. When he turned back to the entire entourage, he scowled at them with a warning.

"Make sure to arrive there before us. Or else…"

"Yes, Your Highness!" Hong and Moo Yeon who both tasted Kwon Jiyong's wrath before rushed the others to get on their feet. Kwon Jiyong threw them a cold, indifferent look before slightly kicking the horse. When they were away, Sandara couldn't help but smile and enjoy the warmth Kwon Jiyong had been transferring to her body. This is one of the advantages of marrying an imoogi. Of course Kwon Jiyong has supernatural powers!

"Still cold?" He asked out of concern but his voice remained distant.

"Better." Sandara answered.

"When did Yunwei and Yunqi send you gifts?" Kwon Jiyong suddenly asked, making Sandara grin even more. Now the interrogation has begun!

"Why?"

"Why what?"

"Why are you asking? Why are you curious?"

"I'm your husband. Should there be other reasons?"

Sandara nodded but did not further answer.

"Answer me."

"Where are we headed to?" Sandara retorted with a question.

"You'll find out later. Now answer me."

"I don't know." Sandara finally answered. "The servants only told me they were from those to Ming princes. I didn't meet them. I wanted to personally say thank you though. Too bad, you did not let me see them."

"There's no need for you to do that. I even disliked the fact that they sent gifts directly to you. How dare they overstep my authority?"

Sandara bit her lip and suppressed her laughter. Seriously? He's mad at a small incident like this?

"Also, Doctor Lee is on a vacation so he's not in Busan. I'll find a good doctor to treat you when we arrive. Your body might not be used to foreign herbs so I'll ask them to discard everything."

"They're my gifts though."

"My wealth is your wealth. Shouldn't a husband have control on his wife's belongings too?"

"That's not fair! Since when did you share your wealth with me?"

"Since I gave you the keys to my storage back at home. Didn't I give you my token too so that you can buy anything you want?"

Sandara rolled her eyes. "You didn't clarify that to me though. That your wealth is mine as well."

"Then, be well aware now."

"But it's still nice to be friends with Yunwei though. He's the third prince of a huge empire after all. At least, I can ask him if I need anything from Ming."

Sandara felt Kwon Jiyong tighten his hold on her waist. She felt him tense behind her and she instantly knew he was trying to control his rage.

"Don't ask other people if you need something. I can get you anything." Kwon Jiyong said in a low, controlled voice.

Sandara fought hard not to laugh. Oh Kwon Jiyong, must you really act this way? Sandara found this side of Kwon Jiyong adorable. He rarely shows his inner emotions and it's good that he's being obvious about it. However, she was even more surprised at his sudden outburst when she finally asked him directly.

"Your Highness… By any chance… Are you jealous?"

"Do I even have to say??? Park Sandara, you are my wife! How dare you speak of another man's name?"

"How petty!" Sandara finally burst in laughter. "So you're really jealous over small things like that? No doubt you detest Ryung so much!"

"That rat displeases me so much even if he's just sitting still. What more when he earns your favor? And at times, over me, who is your husband? How preposterous!"

Sandara's grin went even wider. However her amusement with her husband suddenly faltered when she noticed something.

"Your Highness… Isn't this the road leading to the Cherry Blossoms House?"

Kwon Jiyong did not answer this time. The rest of the short trip was filled with silence even until they reached the front gates of the wide estate.

"Open the gates!" One of the gatesmen shouted and soon the huge gates of the estate swung open revealing their servants aligned on each side of the path. Kwon Jiyong guided her down the horse and held her hand as they walked into the vast estate. At the end of the line, there was Jo Sanggung smiling lovingly at her.

"Why, you're also here, Jo Sanggung!" Sandara was about to run to her beloved servant when her view was suddenly blocked by a rainfall of fragrant flowers.

"Happy Birthday, Mama! May you be blessed with a long life of peace, health and happiness!"

Sandara had to blink twice before it all dawned upon her. When she looked back, Kwon Jiyong had his hands behind him, his eyes everywhere but at her. He looked so shy and uneasy that she laughed at him as she ran back to hug him.

"You had this all prepared?" Sandara asked, making Kwon Jiyong clear his throat.

"Didn't I say we'll go on a vacation? Isn't this the most perfec

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter