Chapter 71

Compelled to Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Luhan’s POV

“Mr Shen? I will take my leave now.” I looked up from my school book at Mirae who was grinning cutely. I chuckled as she skipped towards me and sat down in my lap.

“You really can’t stop calling me ‘Mr Shen’, can you? My love?” I cooed and kissed her nose. Mirae shrugged her shoulders.

“I love it too much to not do it,” she said and giggled. “But I have to leave if I’m not going to be late.” She wrapped her arms around my neck and gave me a long, gentle kiss before jumping up on her feet, our hands still intertwined tightly. “See you after school?”

“Of course. I’ll pick you up as always,” I said with a soft smile. She started backing away, trying to hold onto my hand for as long as she could. When she couldn’t hold on any longer, she made an unhappy pout. I chuckled again. “Is it always this hard for you to leave me?” I asked teasingly. Mirae nodded. “Aw, you’re too cute!” I put the book on the floor and walked over to her. I kissed her again and caressed her cheek with my thumb. “I love you.”

“Mm, I love you too. Don’t you dare be late, Mr Shen! Or Mrs Shen will be very upset.” I smiled at her playfulness and saluted.

“I promise, Mrs Shen. I will be there five minutes early! No, ten minutes! I will wait in a handsome, cool pose by the car. You’ll see me from miles away due to my exquisite good looks and bright smile!” Mirae laughed and hit her forehead.

“I’m sure I’ll notice you due to your ego.” She winked and pecked my lips. I grinned, knowing that she understood I was only playing around with her. Mirae smiled and walked out to the hallway. I glanced at the book on the floor, wrinkled my nose and then followed after my wife instead. Mirae put on her shoes and was about to grab her coat when I reached for it first. I held it up to her and put it on her. I gave her a quick back hug, a kiss on her cheek and whispered ‘I love you’ one more time. It must’ve taken another three minutes – and Mirae would surely have to run to not be late this morning too – but eventually I could close the door behind her. As I walked passed the kitchen, I saw my mother sitting by the table with a cup of tea and the newspaper in hand. I strolled in, poured up a cup of tea to myself and sat down next to her.

“Mother?” I called. She looked up at me with a curious look in her eyes.

“Yes, my dear?” Out of nowhere, anxiousness washed over me and I began to fumble with my tea cup. I couldn’t keep it still for some reason. I resolutely put it down on the table and met my mother’s eyes.

“Are you happy?” I inquired sincerely. My mother’s expression softened and a wide smile grew on her lips. I exhaled in relief.

“Yes, I am. Very happy.” She reached over the table to take my hand in hers. “Luhan, you have to stop worrying about me. I am perfectly fine. I have thought about this situation over and over and come to the conclusion that this was for the best. I am happy. I really am. In fact, I am so sure of it, I have thought about something.”

“What’s that?” My mother squeezed my hand in hers and rubbed the back of it lovingly.

“I think it would be good if you and Mirae could have this apartment to yourselves. You haven’t lived on your own properly since you got married. I know this situation is very special and that maybe we shouldn’t rush things, however I feel like my presence here makes it difficult for you to truly show affection for one another. If you catch my wink.” Her smile turned mischievous. I tilted my head to the side and raised a suspicious eyebrow.

“Mom... are you saying... you know... eh?” My mother giggled and pulled her hand away.

“Yes. And you are young so you should be able to experience it. I’m serious, Luhan! Don’t give me that look.” She laughed. I kept my nose wrinkled in dislike.

“I thought Asian parents didn’t talk about with their children? Why are you being different from other parents??” I questioned, laughing too. My mother grinned.

“I’m not the average parent, I guess. But anyway, that was not the point. The point is that I think it would be good if I could have an apartment of my own. Preferably not too far away from here so that I can visit you and cook for you whenever I feel like I don’t have much to do... What do you say about that?” I thought for a while. On the one hand I did agree with my mother: it would be really nice to just live with Mirae – and not for the reasons my mother thought of –, but then again she never got to know that part of our complicated love story. On the other hand, I liked taking care of my mother, enjoyed having her close. In the end, though, I knew I would enjoy being alone with Mirae more than having my mother near; it was the harsh truth. But I would not give her up.

“All right. I’m going to find an apartment in this very house for you! Or at least somewhere in this area. It shouldn’t be too difficult to find one that suits you. And you will keep your key to this apartment, so you can come and go whenever you feel like it. Mirae and I will pay you visits too and invite you over to dinner once in a while. Does that sound like a good deal to you, my dear mother?” I sa

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter