Chapter 20

Compelled to Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Mirae’s POV

“Mirae, darling? Can you hear me?” I felt a flash of throbbing pain in my head. I slowly opened my eyes and saw my mother. “Oh, thank god. You’re awake. Jongin,  Mi Song, Luhan, she’s awake.” Luhan? I tried to sit up but the pain was too great for me, so I stayed down. Don’t get Luhan here... Mother, please... I knew she didn’t hear me and just hoped Jongin would reach me first. He did.

“Mirae? Sweetheart.”

“J-Jongin...” I managed to get out. “G-Get...”

“Oh god, she’s awake. Ra Hael? My love, how are you feeling?” I grabbed Jongin’s hand in fear. Luhan took my mother’s place and took my other hand hard in his own.

“Get out,” Jongin hissed quietly at him.

“Don’t cause any trouble, brother-in-law. Your parents are right here,” Luhan hissed back. “Besides, this isn’t my doing.” I wanted to scream. How could he lie to Jongin like that when I was right here? Was he really thinking that I wouldn’t tell Jongin the truth as soon as he left? Suddenly, I realised it. Luhan was counting on that. He wanted to scare me so much that anything he did to me, I would keep to myself. Luhan looked down at me. “I’m glad you’re okay, my love. I was so worried. Please, tell me what happened.” I felt him squeeze my hand as a warning. What would I do? I could barely talk so I needed to make sure that whatever I said it were the right words. Luhan’s eyes narrowed his eyes a little.

“I f-fell...”

“Mirae, you didn’t ing fall. Tell me the-” Jongin began but was interrupted by Luhan.

“Are you saying she’s lying?” Luhan said, loud enough so that my parents would hear. I didn’t surprise me that he wanted them on his side and turn them against Jongin. I squeezed Jongin’s hand to make him look at me. I mouthed that he should shut up. He set his jaw but politely answered Luhan:

“No, I’m not. You should be more careful, Mirae.”

“I agree. We need you well for the wedding. Don’t we, Mrs Kim?” Luhan must’ve been the best kisser I’d ever met. I was probably drunk with morphine, making me unable to even think clearly. I just wanted to sleep and then get home, sleep some more and then hug Jongin. I must’ve scared him and Mi Song to death when they found me with Luhan, and in whatever state he had caused me to be. The guilt had already started to build up in me, since I knew that I’d have to lie to both of them. I shut my eyes again.

“Mirae?”

“Mm...”

Jongin sighed. “Sleep some and we’ll talk to the doctors. We’ll have you home by tomorrow at the latest, all right?” I managed a small nod before I went into deep slumber. I dreamt about how Luhan stood in front of me. He was winking at me, smirking and waved at me. And I could do nothing to harm him, while he could do whatever he pleased to me. I begged and pleaded to him, hoping it would help, hoping it would change him. But no. Nothing I did would stop him from raising his hand into the air …

When I opened my eyes again, Jongin and Luhan weren’t by my sides anymore. I sat, feeling a little better. Sleeping sure had helped and the pain wasn’t as intense as it’d been before. I could see two figures in front of me; I heard loud voices too. “Jongin?” I muttered.

“Don’t put your filthy hands on her anymore! I warn you!”

“Or what? What can you do about it? You still have to obey your parents, Jongin. Something I don’t have to do. I’m free. I have all the control I need. There’s nothing I cannot do to her, so stay out unless you want her to get hurt again. As for what happened today, you heard her. She just fell.”

“You really think I’ll believe you haven’t done anything? I’m not an idiot.”

“Well clearly you are if you can’t see the severance of this situation. Keep in mind that it’s one week left until she’s mine. There’s nothing you can do to stop this.” I saw how Jongin prepared himself to hit Luhan again. I couldn’t allow that to happen.

“Jongin! Don’t,” I shrieked. The two guys turned to me; Jongin ran up to my side.

“Mirae, please tell me the truth. What did he do to you?”

“Nothing. I fell.” I had to insist. I’m sorry, Jongin.

“Don’t lie to me, Mirae,” Jongin whispered. “I swear I’ll kill him if he’s behind this.”

“He didn’t do anything,” I continued to protest. At last, Jongin gave up. He kissed my forehead protectively.

“Love you, little sis. I can’t live without you, so try to be careful. Okay?” I nodded. “Good. The doctors said you could leave when you woke up. Wanna go home?” I nodded again. Truth be told, I felt like I was five again and Jongin wanted to be the responsible big brother that could solve any problem. It hurt that he was sad because he didn’t know how to solve this one. “I’ll take you to the bathroom so you can chan

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter