Chapter 4

Compelled to Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Author’s POV

“Mirae! Come back here!” Jongin shouted after his sister. He heard the door slamming shut and sighed. “Dammit,” he muttered. He took a careful look on his hand, it didn’t look too good. His knuckles were bloody and swollen around the area where Luhan’s jaw had collided with them.

“Don’t move your hand too much,” Mi Song advised, “it’ll just hurt... Where did Mirae go?”

“We got into a small discussion. She went home. Don’t worry about her... But Miso, I’m fine. Promise,” Jongin assured. Mi Song sat down next to him and took out bandages, disinfection liquid and something to clean the wound with. She carefully took Jongin’s hand in hers and began the treatment, fully focused on the wound. Jongin watched as she worked, mesmerised by how delicately she treated him and a detail that he hadn’t noticed before mesmerised him as well; Mi Song wrinkled her nose to concentrate. Jongin’s lips couldn’t stop themselves from curving up into a small smile. She looks so cute... Jongin thought, but he instantly shook his head, clearing those thoughts out of his mind. Mi Song noticed his strange behaviour and lifted her head.

“What is it, oppa? Am I hurting you?” she asked worriedly, almost letting go of his hand, letting only their fingers be in contact. Jongin lifted his head too. A blush spread across his face when he realised their eyes had met.

“No, I just... Thought about something. Don’t worry about it, continue.”

“I’m done, actually. See?” She held up his hand, smiling cutely. Jongin saw the bandage on his hand. He lowered his head in embarrassment for being unaware of it. Mi Song let go of his hand and began putting back all the things. She rolled up the bandage and put them in the medical kit. I should say something... Jongin thought.

“Thank you,” Jongin said, pausing Mi Song as she had stood up to walk to the bathroom. Jongin got up as well, keeping the eye contact between them. Mi Song smiled again.

“I’ll be right back.” She disappeared out of Jongin’s sight for a moment, leaving him to take a deep, heavy breath. What was he doing? Did he have feelings for his little sister’s best friend, feelings that were more than just friendly ones? That couldn’t possibly work out. Because of two reasons: first because of the fact that she was Mirae’s best friend and second because... Eh... I know I had it... Jongin bit his bottom lip profoundly. Maybe he couldn’t think of a second reason? The age difference wasn’t a big deal, the difference in status in the society wasn’t a problem either. Then he reminded himself. If he were to be a good brother than he’d try to convince his parents that they should marry him away, instead of Mirae. Wow, this is fun. Choosing between someone you love more than anything and sacrificing your own happiness... Jongin sighed, slumping down on the kitchen chair again. “Oppa? Is something wrong?”

“Huh? Oh, sorry, Miso. It’s nothing. Um, I should probably go.” Jongin stood up and started walking towards the door.

“Oppa, wait.” He turned around and nearly jumped back in surprise. Mi Song stood very close to him, her head hanging down as if she felt guilty or sad. “Oppa... Can I ask you a question?” The worry in her voice was evident, making Jongin frown.

“Of course, Miso,” he replied. Mi Song bit her lip, lifting her head a little.

“What am I to you?” Jongin raised a brow at her. What does she mean by that? Oh... Right...

“I’m not sure what you mean, Mi Song.” He lied, naturally. Why would he not know what she meant? He just needed more time to figure out an answer. Mi Song swallowed hard. Somewhere in his heart, Jongin wanted to tell her the truth about how he felt but he knew that he couldn’t until he’d at least tried solving his sister’s problem first. I’m sorry, Miso...

“I mean... Am I just your little sister’s best friend?” The question was like a punch in Jongin’s stomach. Mi Song’s pout was also killing him. He’d love to admit how much he liked her and that he’d love to take her out on a date. Heck, he’d even tell her all about the situation with Mirae, that way she’d have an explanation. He raised his hand, allowing it to land on her cheek. Her skin felt so soft to his palm. Mi Song’s eyes were filled with regret, he could see it.

“No, Miso. You’re not.” Her head shot up, a sparkle of hope showed in her eyes. Jongin’s stomach scrunched up. How could he be so cruel and destroy the glint of hope in Mi Song’s heart. He’d known love’s ruthless ways once, why did he do it to someone he cared for so much? “Mi Song. You’re like a little sister to me.” Her hope fell. Jongin sighed. “I’m really-”

“Is that the truth, oppa? Or are you lying to me?” Damn, she’d caught him. Now he felt even worse. Mi Song could see the guilt, she knew him very well after all. “Why would you lie to me, oppa?” She smacked his hand away, taking a step back. “Tell me the truth, oppa. Plea

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter