Chapter 63

Compelled to Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jongin’s POV

“Now, my son, you are a man and I am proud of you.” Those were the last words my father had said to me before I stepped onto the jet that would take me all the way to Japan. I had nearly burst out in fits of laughter after hearing those sincere, yet comical, words. He was proud of me because I had had my heart broken and therefore decided to leave the country, picking the easiest way to do so by learning about his ridiculous company? Although I kept in mind that as far as my father was concerned, I had chosen to go to Japan as an interest for his company and for a chance to prove myself worthy of being the inheritor. As well as practising my Japanese, which my mother naturally pointed out was rusty. I looked out over the clouds and could barely see the ocean stretch out underneath the airplane. I didn’t know how long it would take until I went back to Korea again, but I hoped it would be enough time for everything to be solved between Mirae and my parents. I bit my lip hard as I thought about the note I had sent to Mirae, explaining the situation in a different light than what it had actually been. A white lie, if I was to be kind to myself. I closed my eyes, remembering every word of the letter that stood for all the things I could never tell her in person, but that nonetheless had to be said.

 

Dear sister,

I am sending you this letter because what I am about to tell you is not going to be easy. If not for you to hear, then for me to say. I am on an airplane to Osaka, Japan. I am going there because after years of seeking his recognition – which I know you no longer desire – our father has entrusted me with his smaller company. It will be my job to guarantee its survival and nourish it, so that it will last many years more into the future. It will be my job to secure my own future, as I should have secured yours. I am sorry I failed, but I realise now that your future might be secured anyway. I hope that your future with Lu Han is going to be full of love, adventure and success; this regardless of where you go in life. As your brother I will say that I am proud of you. Not only because of who you already are and the things you have already accomplished in life, but also because you were stronger than me. You were braver than me. If there was a way that I could be like my little sister, then I would take that chance. And I want you to remember, as soon as you feel you have solved all the issues that are brought up against you and feel ready to go back to school for your final year of upper secondary school, that I am not what you are going to become. Despite what all your teachers say about me – either praise or condemnation – you will remember to be true to yourself: correct the mistakes you have done in the way you would do it and commend yourself for the greatness of your work. I will not have been a part of it. I have never been either. And as I am leaving you now, with regret in my heart for not saying these words to you in person, I need you to understand that no matter what happens, I will always love you. You mean more to me than I could ever begin to describe. I will not have to ask Lu Han to look after you in my place, solely because I know you can count on yourself to make the right decisions. I trust you, my dear, to follow your heart with hope and respect. Do those things you thought you could not do.

Be brave, little sister. And remember, not everything and everyone in this cruel world is out to harm you. You know that better than I. Hence, I will also remind myself of it. I will see you when I return.

Love,
Kim Jongin

 

I opened my eyes again, seeing a glass of champagne stand on the small table in front of me. I looked up and saw one of the flight attendants. He couldn’t have been much older than me, but he seemed friendly. He pointed at the glass. “A salute from your father, Mr Kim. And you looked like you could need one too. A man with as high status as you should not be crying like a child. There are people who have it ten million times worse than you, sir.” He smiled and I acknowledged his remark. I reached up a hand to wipe the tear and then took a gulp of the champagne. Yes, I do need it. I nodded my head to him and he left the room. I then rested my head on the soft pillow and tried my hardest to not feel self-pity. The man had been right: there were so many who didn’t even have enough food on the table and here I sat feeling sorry for myself when I knew I sat in a jet plane, owned several expensive suits, watches and other unnecess

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter