Chapter 22

Compelled to Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jongin’s POV

I sat down in the car with my father. I felt numb and stiff at the same time, as well as sad. It was Mirae’s wedding today and we were on our way to the church; me and my father since my mother, Mirae and Mi Song were there already. I clenched my fist hard under my chin while the car neared the church with great speed – it went too fast for my liking. I didn’t want to witness this wedding, I didn’t want to see Mirae’s forced smile or my mother’s faked tears. The car stopped in front of the entrance, next to another car, looking exactly like ours. Rich people and their look-alike possessions... My father got out and I followed like the good son I was. I’d promised both my parents that nothing inappropriate would leave my mouth this special day, those words would stay in my head and eventually disappear – if my parents got their will through that is. I stepped inside after my father but soon left his side to go see my sister, even though I had no idea where they had their room, so it took a while for me to find them. I knocked on the door. “Who is it?” I smiled at the voice that answered.

“It’s me,” I replied. Mi Song opened the door for me and pulled me in for a hug, burying her face in my chest. I kissed her hair. “Hi, jagi. You look beautiful, like always.”

“Thanks. You look handsome as always.” I frowned. Mi Song didn’t sound like herself, and for some reason I did not think it had something to do with what day it was, something must’ve happened.

“Miso? Did anything-” I started, Mi Song cut me off.

“Mirae had a panic attack. Your mother and she had a huge fight and yelled horrible things to each other. Your mother left and Mrs Lu has been comforting Mirae since then,” Mi Song told me. I heaved out a deep sigh and rubbed my temples.

“There are times when I truly despise my mother,” I mumbled flatly. Mi Song nodded. “I’ll go talk to Mirae.” I pecked her lips then went further inside. Mi Song showed me the door leading to the room where Mirae and Mrs Lu were. As soon as I had opened them, Mirae had rushed into my arms. I gently patted her back and her hair. “Shh, breathe, angel. I won’t let mother touch you for the rest of the day. That goes for Luhan too. I’m here, okay?”

“Please take me away from here,” Mirae cried. It felt as though she had sent spears through my chest.

“You know I can’t do that, angel. It won’t help either,” I whispered, feeling the tears threaten to fall on me too. She let me go and backed away, she was crying so much. It pained me how beautiful she would’ve looked if she hadn’t been crying and smiled instead, like she had been happy. “I’m sorry, angel.” I reached out a hand for her but she harshly rejected it.

“Oh, God. Just leave, Jongin.” Mirae grabbed a tissue to wipe her tears. “There’s no use in crying. I’m so pathetic I can’t believe it myself. Just leave. I’ll be fine.” I swallowed hard. She knew all too well how I felt about this, but the problem was not what kind of power I had. It was what kind of power our parents had. During the past weeks, I had come to an understanding that whatever our parents said, we, as their children, needed to listen to them. With respect. Even those times we did not agree with them...

“You know I love you, Mirae. But I can’t go-”

“Against our parents?” Mirae finished angrily. “You could a few months ago.”

“I didn’t mean like that,” I defended. I hoped she wouldn’t bring up Mi Song in this discussion. It was bad enough that she’d seen through my excuse. Mirae rolled her eyes. “I’m really sorry, Mirae. There’s nothing I can do.”

“You can leave. And take Mi Song with you.”

“What did I do?” Mi Song asked. I hadn’t noticed that she’d come inside the room. I glanced at her then turned back to Mirae, she had her eyes fixed on us both. Mi Song reached for my hand but I dismissed it. “Oppa?” Mi Song whispered. I didn’t mind her, I was too focused on Mirae right now.

“Please, Jongin, leave.”

“Are you mad at me?” I asked. Mirae sat down on her chair, trying to fix her makeup. “Mirae, talk to me.”

“No. It’s not you. I’ll be fine, oppa. It’s okay.” That was it. I turned around and went out, taking Mi Song out with me.

“Let her be alone. I’ll take you to your seat.” Mi Song didn’t say anything in protest, so I led her to her seat and she sat down. “Jagi?” I caressed her cheek. “I’m really sorry for the way I acted just now,” I said, using my sweetest tone. Being in a fight with her as well as Mirae would not feel great at this time. I tried to look into her eyes, but she avoided mine.

“It’s all right...” she mumbled. I could see that she was lying, so I sat down next to her.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter