Chapter 24

Compelled to Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Luhan’s POV

I had left the wedding for a second, going out with Kris and Tao for a smoke. We had talked about everything and they joked about my speech – Why did I even let them to read it? –, Mirae and everything else that had happened already today. Now I sat alone in an empty corridor, whining like a baby. What’s wrong with me? I’ve never been like this ever in my life. Why am I falling apart now? I looked up from my hands; they were wet, so I wiped them on my pants. I have to cheer up. Just a while longer. Back in China I’ll be able to do whatever I want... Drink away everything. I just need to hold on a little bit longer... “A few more hours.”

“L-Luhan?” I flew up on my feet, alerted at once. Mirae stood in front of me, and from what I could judge, she had done it for quite some time. I tried to control my anger, holding it back, not lashing out on her. What had she even done to deserve it anyway?

“What are you doing here?” I questioned. “Get away. Leave me alone.”

“I’ve been looking for you. It’s time for our speeches...”

“I don’t ing give a damn!” I bitterly spat at her. Mirae swallowed but then proceeded, surprising me by how confident she seemed.

“Luhan, stop. You know we have to. I’m not going back alone. Your mother is looking for you as well, soon everyone will start looking for you!” Mirae said. I glared at her angrily. It was not necessarily that she made me angry, it was the things she stood for that bothered me, annoyed me, made me rage. “I won’t tell any-”

“Don’t you ing dare!” I screamed at her. I was fast to grab onto her as she tried to get away, pulling her behind the corner, in case anyone would pass by. “You’re gonna forget this. That is what you’re going to do, the only thing. I’ve never cried in front of you, if anyone asks, got that?” I used my threatening voice; a voice most people feared. It was the only way I had made all my friends obey me, by using fear as my weapon. Mirae was no exception, not this time, not any time. Mirae did not say a word, so I took her silence as a yes and let her go. “I will hold my speech first,” I hissed at her. I grabbed her hand, taking her back up on the rooftop again. We sat down on our seats. “We better talk. No one can wonder where we’ve been or what we’ve done.”

“Mm... What do we do?”

“Giggle. Or kiss my cheek or something...” I noticed that Mirae inhaled sharply, surely not happy about my suggestion – I didn’t know why I had suggested it, either. Mirae leaned forward, not even trying to argue with me this time; she just did as I told her. Whether that was a good sign or not, I had no idea. She let out a small giggle, forced but she managed to sound somewhat genuine. Out of nowhere a cling from a glass was heard, making all turn their attention forward. It was Mirae’s mother who had stood up. Mrs Kim smiled brightly at the two of us. In the corner of my eye, I could see Mirae’s hateful glare and dejected expression. I reckoned she must have been ashamed, because I would have.

“Ahem...” Mrs Kim cleared . “It is time for the speeches. And as the bride’s mother it is my job to start off by giving a small speech on behalf of our family. I am going to start off by saying that I am a very proud mother today. Ra Hael has shown me that she has truly grown up to be a strong, smart woman, and that is all I can ask for as her mother. And to see that she has married such a fine gentleman, too, is absolutely wonderful. Han is the ideal son-in-law; loyal, smart, kind, well-mannered, in other words: a perfect son-in-law.” I shut my ears. What mother held that kind of speech when she had just forced her own daughter into marriage? And that I was kind, smart – okay, I was smart – and loyal? I almost felt... No. Luhan, stop. You’re not going to show how weak you are. Don’t. It’s a bad idea and you know what happened last time, it’s not happening again. Not again. You’re going to threat Mirae just like any other girl you’ve met. She’s not special. Forget it. It’ll end up worse than it already is. I snapped out of my thoughts when the applauds broke out in the room. I joined the clapping, smiling at Mrs Kim. After that, the next person stood up to hold their speech. I shrunk at the sight of it being my mother, mostly because I knew she would tell lies about how I had been as a child, secondly she would praise Mirae one way or another. Though what bothered me the most was that my mother not knew even half the story behind this marriage, since my father had kept it a secret from her, and so had I.

“Good evening, dear guests. I am the mother of the groom and will therefore continue with my speech now. First I will just thank Mrs Kim for those wonderfully chosen words. Secondly, I have had the privilege to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter