Chapter 14

Compelled to Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Author’s POV

“Mom, is this really a good idea?” Luhan questioned again. His mother sat in the car on the way to pick up Mirae in her house before they would go to the airport. Their plane would leave in an hour and Luhan had tried everything to make his mother change her mind all evening before and this morning. “I need to get to know her too,” he said, trying his best to sound convincing.

“Aw, Hannie. You’re going to have more than enough time together with Ra Hael later in your life. All your life in fact. I just need to see if this girl will be a good wife for you. I want what’s best for my son.” Mrs Lu caressed her son’s cheek and then closed the door in his concerned looking face. “See you in two months. Behave now. Good bye!” The car drove off and left Luhan staring after it. Mrs Lu felt in a particularly good mood this day and intended to make her future daughter-in-law feel the same as her. The car pulled up outside the Kim’s house and ready on the street stood Mirae with her suitcase.

“Good morning, Mrs Lu!” she greeted. “How are you this morning?” she asked.

“I’m very well, my dear. Oh, it seems someone wants another hug.” Mrs Lu smiled and pointed behind Mirae. Mirae turned around and saw her brother come running down from the house. She met him halfway in a tight hug.

“Promise you’ll call me and tell me how you’re doing, okay?” Jongin pulled away, taking Mirae’s cheeks between his hands.

“I promise, oppa.”

Jongin smiled. “Take care, my angel.”

“Yeah. And keep an eye on Luhan, oppa. I don’t think he’s too pleased about his mother’s decision. He might want to hurt you or Mi Song...”

“I won’t let him. If he gives me the smallest reason, I won’t hesitate on using brute force to stop him.” He could see Mirae’s concerned look and quickly added, “I’ll be on my guard. And I’ll look after your best friend for you. Have fun in China now and don’t think too much about the wedding and all that. Leave it to the adults. Try to relax and get to know Mrs Lu. Having her as an ally could come in handy once you and that idiot are married. If she likes you, he won’t be able to do anything to you.” Mirae nodded.

“That’s my plan too...”

“Good. Have a safe trip. Call me when you arrive.” He kissed her forehead and gave her another hug. “I love you, angel.”

“I love you too, oppa. I’ll call as soon as I land.” She went back to the car and jumped in next to Mrs Lu. “Bye, oppa!” She waved as the car started rolling away down the street.

“Your brother and you are close, aren’t you?” Mrs Lu said when they were halfway to the airport.

“We are, very close. He is very protective of me and he is not really fond of this marriage agreement. He would rather see himself in my place,” Mirae explained. She didn’t feel like it would hurt to tell Mrs Lu this now that it didn’t matter anyway; the wedding was happening no matter who objected. Mrs Lu nodded.

“I understand his anxious heart. But, Ra Hael, I can assure you that you are perfectly safe with me. I won’t let anything harm you while we’re away. I gave your mother my word,” Mrs Lu sincerely told Mirae who instantly felt much better.

They got to the airport and were escorted to the Lu’s private airplane. The inside was more amazing than anything Mirae could ever have imagined. She let out a faint ‘wow’, then sat down across from Mrs Lu on a big, comfortable chair. They received refreshments and the plane took off towards Beijing. A little over an hour later, Mirae felt courageous enough to start a conversation. “Weici, why did you really take me with you?” she wondered. Mrs Lu crossed her legs and tapped her chin.

“I think...” she started, “I think it will be good for both you and me. And I do want to know something about the girl who’s marrying my only son. Even though it’s an arranged marriage, I believe it’s important for us to know each other. Don’t you agree?”

“Of course. I appreciate it so much, you have no idea,” Mirae replied. There was another thing that Mirae wanted to know, but could she really ask it? She hesitated, but then asked anyway. “Mrs Lu... Why is Luhan and I staying in Korea after we have gotten married? Your family have the most money, so would it not be more...appropriate for us to move to China instead?”

“Hm, that’s a very good question, my dear. Although I don’t quite know what to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter