Chapter 58

Compelled to Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jongin’s POV

The fury in my parents’ faces was out of this world. I almost thought that if they had had a gun, they would shoot at something, or someone. I instantly felt like begging for Mirae’s sake, convincing them that she was blinded by love and hadn’t thought her actions through. Too bad it was pointless, because my father wouldn’t let himself be talked to right now. He faced Mr Lu, apologising for his daughter’s stupidity. Mr Lu actually apologised too, for Luhan’s behaviour. It was ironic how both fathers was at their breaking point for their children’s sake when originally, they were the cause to the whole thing. I watched as they bowed to each other, apologising once more. Then my father said something shocking, “If you want to, I am positive I could have them divorced by the end of the day.” I stared at him. After everything Mirae had been through with this marriage deal, he was going to break it?! I could not believe my own ears. Mrs Lu gasped and my mother remained stone-faced.

“I think that will be for the best. I must teach Han to respect his father first. Perhaps he was too young and foolish for this marriage, I do not know. But I have no desire to find out either. And after what he brought your daughter into, I am willing to help you set your company off to a good start so it will not crumble once our affairs are finished. Does that sound like a good deal to you?” Mr Lu said, holding out his hand to my father. I gritted my teeth. Don’t, father... Their hands linked together; I sighed inwardly, trying my best to keep my mouth shut.

“Deal. Thank you, Mr Lu. It has been a pleasure making business with you. I will make sure that Ra Hael learns discipline too. I know it has been quite an inconvenience, especially for you, Mrs Lu. I am truly sorry.” He bowed to her. I noticed that Mrs Lu was on the verge of tears. I met her eyes for a split second before she turned to my father, smiling brightly at him.

“I assure you, Mr Kim, Ra Hael has been nothing but a joy having around. She is a beautiful, smart and determined girl. She will accomplish a lot in her life. As for Han...” she paused, taking a deep breath. “He is a changed man thanks to your daughter. I am grateful to have my son back, grateful towards you.” My father nodded his head. I wanted to laugh at him because it was clear he couldn’t see the care and love Mrs Lu had for Mirae. He didn’t know about the change Luhan had made. Suddenly, I realised that my hatred for Luhan had slowly washed off of me. He is changed... I saw that in his eyes when we stood face-to-face just now. I smiled to myself. Maybe, just maybe, Mirae had found someone worthy of her heart in the end. I figured out that she must’ve seen something within him, something others couldn’t see for the same reason that I had, for example, loved Mi Song. Others had seen her as an ordinary girl while I saw a gentleness and sweetness, which I long ago concluded was rare for a girl around our age. Most girls in my school had been shallow and vacant in so many ways. Mi Song wasn’t like them. Luhan must’ve shown Mirae something that made her fall for him, notwithstanding all the rumours and the mask he put on. That’s right. Luhan isn’t an idiot, he’s just corrupted. I looked up at Mr Lu. The hardness in his face could not be mistaken; he wasn’t a good, honourable man. He had no love for his only child, like my father lacked love for Mirae and I.

“Now, we are leaving. Let us go, darling.” Mr and Mrs Lu bowed, and so did we, and then they left. My father observed them and stayed quiet until they disappeared out of sight.

“Jongin, you will have to persuade her. I’m sure you wouldn’t mind that, hm? You opposed this from the very beginning. Do whatever it takes. We’ll see you at home later. Don’t be late for dinner.” My mother gave me a severe glare as she followed behind my father. I didn’t protest, because if I kept silent I could visit my sister and have my parents’ permission. I knew what I had to do next. I went out on the street and hailed in a cab. I told the chauffeur my destination and settled by looking out the window during the ride. I wondered if Mirae and Luhan would even be at home, or if the chances were they had gone elsewhere, in case our parents would come looking for them. Doesn’t matter, I’ll wait outside their house if I have to. Arriving, I paid the chauffeur and slowly made my way up to their front door. A flashback from the last time I visited got triggered when I pushed the doorbell. I heard footsteps on the other side of the door, approaching steadily. My heart began to beat hard in my chest. Will Mirae hate me for not standing up for her? The thought barely had time to cross my mind without further brain work before the door opened up. Once again, I stood

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter