Chapter 60

Compelled to Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jongin’s POV

I told the driver that I would walk my way home and added that he could take the rest of the day off as well – the latter being a measure of precaution toward my parents. I could not afford them finding out that I had both failed the mission they had assigned me, but also visited my ex-girlfriend before delivering them the upsetting news. The car took off and so did I, strolling down the street towards Mi Song’s house. I hoped she was home. The walk would take me at least forty minutes or so, which gave me plenty of time to think. I knew that last time I had tried to talk with Mi Song I had choked and bailed in the last minute. It had made the whole situation worse since Mi Song refused to believe my pitiful excuse. That evening, I had ended up in a hotel. Till this day, I couldn’t believe someone like me had been forced out of my own house, been rejected by my ex-girlfriend and then felt resigned to sleep at a hotel. I must’ve looked really alone and wretched and pathetic that evening. I vaguely recalled the receptionist, how she had flirted with me and almost begged me to take her with me upstairs. I remember awkwardly replying that I needed to get up really early for a meeting, and as she looked at my small briefcase I hurried to grab the key and flee to the nearest elevator. I wondered if Mi Song would laugh at that story, or maybe feel the love when I admitted that I thought about her all that night. I hadn’t slept at all, and still gone up at half past six to get home and change before heading to work.

It was quiet on the street, hardly any people around. The air felt fresh and full of essential oxygen, increasing my strength little by little. It wasn’t getting dark quite yet, but I could see the sun slowly setting behind the rooftops. I watched the few cars that passed me by, judging everything from the drivers behind the wheels to the registration plates. I imagined being one of those men who were going home from work after a long 8-9 hours long day. The food would just be cooked and the children had come home dirty after playing in the nearby playfield close to the house. I closed my eyes for a moment, seeing its entire interior in front of me. The white couch, the black, huge TV with all the video games scattered on the floor, the pale colours of beige that I, myself, had painted the walls in. The sweet scent of dinner made its way up my nose, and I was filled with hunger. I could hear the laughter of two children, a boy and a girl, from the big bedroom that my wife and I together had designed for them when they were born. I heard an excited yell calling: ‘Daddy!’ and proceeded into their room to greet them. They showed me the impressive drawings that they had made in school during the day and asked me to help them with their homework. I replied that I would help them after dinner and that they should go clean themselves up a bit. After all, we couldn’t have dirty children at the dinner table. They both giggled and then ran off towards the bathroom. At the same time, I heard her call my name. The delicateness and love in her voice caused my steps to quicken until I stood in the doorway. She turned around and smiled the most beautiful smile, a smile any man would have been blessed to see and experience. And to think her smile was for me, because of me: it overwhelmed me.

I opened my eyes and realised I had almost arrived to Mi Song’s house on my own, despite having my eyes closed for most of the time. Did I really know the road to her so well? I chuckled and walked on, soon seeing the house from afar. What would Mi Song think if she knew I can only imagine her being my wife, and no one else? For me, there is only her. Once I stopped in front of the white, rather big house I could feel my heart in my throat; it nearly throbbed out of anxiety. What was I honestly anxious about? Of course, what she’s going to say. The slim possibility that she’ll give me another chance to prove my love to her. My eyes wandered over the tiny garden outside the house, the flowers were soon going to fade as the whether grew colder. Not that winter would approach any time soon, but most of the flowers only blossomed for a few weeks before they died. I lay a hand on the doorbell, its metal. This doorbell was the sole thing standing between me and Mi Song. I just had to press it and my presence would be given away, my arrival would be announced. No more waiting. I must know what she feels for me. Press it... Now. I gently pushed my weight forward, the weight causing the button to slowly go in and the sound to build up.

“Sehun, stop it!” Instinctively I pulled my hand away, swinging around to spot Mi Song and Sehun coming towards the house. I just needed to see Mi Song’s arm around Sehun’s to lose all hope in my heart, resulting in a jump from the porch and down onto the grass. I took thr

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter