Chapter 55

Compelled to Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Luhan’s POV

“I never beat her... I’ve accidently hurt her, a couple of times but I would never deliberately slap her or hit her! I wanted to before, but I couldn’t do it. I don’t know why. I just...couldn’t.” I sat with my head lowered, in shame.

“Why couldn’t you?” the policeman asked me. “Did you have someone else you hit instead? Or have you really learned it’s never right to hit anyone?”

“Everyone makes mistakes,” I muttered under my breath.

“Yes, but isn’t a mistake, Lu. That’s something you do, intentionally. I’ve got to look at the evidence and right now you’re truly driving me crazy. I won’t be the ‘good cop’ for much longer.” I put my face in my hands. The policeman doodled on his papers. I tried to avoid looking at the photos they had taken. There was one from the sight directly, where Mirae looked dead almost. I turned my head away. This is the punishment I’m receiving for all the bad deeds I’ve ever done, isn’t it? Being accused of hurting the only person in my life that matters.

“Look, I’ll tell you what I have done,” I said. The policeman looked up at me, he had an intrigued look on his face and he nodded for me to continue. “Firstly, I’ve screamed at her, countless times. Secondly, I’ve once forced her down on her back on the floor. Thirdly, I’ve pushed her onto the bed, I don’t know how many times. And then I’ve pushed her into a door by accident! That’s what I’ve done. Accuse me if you want, but I don’t think it’s fair. She’s even forgiven me and we have moved on from that! Why can’t you let it go too?”

“What did you do when you forced her down on the floor? Did you hit her? Give her a good slap across the face? Humiliate her in any way? It says here she was put in hospital after apparently falling and hitting her head quite badly. You wouldn’t happen to have anything to do with that? It also says you were the one who called an ambulance.” His stare intensified.

“I don’t remember what I did. I think I just screamed at her. Or... perhaps I threatened to... I didn’t touch her though! I swear I didn’t! And for that accident... I...” I buried my nails into my forehead. I knew I had to stay sane and calm, but it was so hard when the police kept pushing me. I was going to give up soon.

“All right, let’s take it from the start, again,” the policeman said. I sighed and leaned back in the chair. This was the eighth time I had told him everything from start to finish, although I was happy he let go of the incident where I caused Mirae to end up in the hospital. I was sure I would end up in jail if he found out about that. “We found you at the sight, alone, with your body stretched over hers. Her dress was pulled up and she was beaten.” I grimaced at the last. Beaten... “Is something coming back? Something you’ve failed to recall these past six hours? Maybe you want to confess? Come on, Lu Han... We all know you have a record and fondness for breaking the law. This would hardly surprise anyone. Why are you lying to yourself? It’s two words. Say them: ‘I confess.’ That’s it. Two small words is the only thing keeping us in this room. Say them and I’ll let you out of here.”

“And in to a cell?” I muttered. “No thanks. I’m sticking to three words: I am innocent!” The policeman cleared his throat. I unfolded my arms over my chest and bent over the table. “You really think I’m going to admit just because you tell me to?” The policeman bent over too, our faces were so close I could’ve spit him in the mouth when he breathed if I wanted to.

“I don’t know, are you?”

“No,” I hissed. “I told you, and I’ll tell you over and over until you believe me, I didn’t do it. It was two guys called Wu Kris and Huang Zitao who brought Mirae out of that club. They were going to her to get back at me. I got the call from a friend called Hyuna who goes to the same school as me and was at the club with Mirae. She told me Mirae was gone and wondered if she’d come home. I rushed to the club, heard her scream and saved her!”

“Like a prince saving his damsel in distress. How awfully romantic of you!” the police cooed. “And then you said Kris and Zitao called the police, disappeared and were never seen again. It’s perfectly believable, Lu. I am really impressed that you came up with such a clever story!”

“I didn’t do it! I swear!” I cried out. The frustration was getting to my head now. “I’m not lying! That is what happened! Why can’t you ask Mirae to tell you she saw them too?”

“Because you are a manipulative bastard who cannot be trusted! Everybody knows that! From what we know, you could’ve threatened her into saying th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter