Summer Vacation

Th13teen

 

 

 

The first week in London was not so good for me. Especially on my birthday. I just wanted to stay in my room and sleep. Papa was in London with us on the first week. He had arranged a private dinner at one of the nearest dining places in Beckenham. Luhan had been able to convince me to go out of my room and to have dinner with him, Kris, Xiumin and papa.

 

Earlier that morning, my brothers in Beijing had called via skype to greet me. I was woken up by Kris who literally dived onto the bed. He then poked me on the sides, announcing that the boys in Beijing was on the phone wanting to greet me. I had rubbed my eyes and wiped the dried tears away. Luhan and Xiumin were out in the living room when I got up and followed Kris downstairs. Papa was asleep. The oldies didn't bother to wake him up. Luhan handed me the phone. The boys had crowded in front of the phone's camera to sing a happy birthday to me. I stifled a sob. I missed them already. They looked so happy as they sang and I could see that the usual bullies were trying to make me laugh. I gave in and smiled a little.

 

Sehun was talking in the background as the other boys were saying their birthday greetings. I couldn't make out what he was saying, but he kept on talking even if Chen's voice was louder than his. Baekhyun noticed him and clamped a hand on his mouth. Sehun attempted to bite his hand but Baek flicked his head and scolded him. I was curious what he was trying to say, so I asked him. He told me that Jungkook had sent him a text message asking if it was true that I was going to London. At the mention of Junkook's name, my heart skipped a beat. The rest of the boys fell silent. Kai cleared his throat. He smirked a little. I caught that as he was not yet on speaking terms with Jungkook. Sehun on the other hand, looked like he didn't harbor any ill feelings towards him and seemed happy that Jungkook was talking to him again. All I could say was, “Oh...I see.

 

Chanyeol cleared his throat a little loudly to change the topic when no one spoke. Lay took the phone away from Chen and started singing something. He said that it was one of his compositions and want me to hear it for my birthday so I won't feel so down. I smiled genuinely at that. The tune of the song was light and it made me feel relaxed. He grinned at me and told me not to cry anymore, because I looked like a cave person. I had to pout at that and rolled my eyes at him. He just laughed and gave the phone to Kyungie who pushed the other boys away from his way.

 

When the rest of them finished, Luhan took his phone away from me and told the boys on the other line that his phone was dying and he needed to recharge. Tao acted to kick him, but of course, he couldn't. I giggled and stuck my tongue out at Tao. He did the same to me. The other boys followed suit and Luhan snorted before pressing the “end” button. Buzz killer. I lay down on the couch and felt my eyes heavy again. I closed my eyes and hugged a pillow. Kris was sitting on one end and I used his lap as my pillow. He patted my head, leaned back, and closed his eyes to sleep as well.

 

I slept until around lunch and didn't have any appetite to eat. Luhan and Xiumin had gone out to survey the neighborhood. Papa had busied himself on his phone and laptop. His usual routine. Kris had stayed in the house reading an architecture book. It was unusual that he was focused and seriousy reading the book. But I just shrugged it off and stayed in my room. I didn't feel really well. I checked my sns accounts and saw that m friends had sent me birthday greetings. It made me feel sadder and I wiped tears as I read their messages and replied to them.

 

Sehun had said that Jungkook asked him if it was true that I was in London, and it gave me hope that he would talk to me already. I was wrong again. I checked all my sns accounts and even my phone, but no messages from him. My heart hurt again. I turned off my laptop and my phone. Luhan and Xiumin returned from their walk and called me for lunch. They had found a deli shop just around the corner and bought food. I refused, but Luhan pleaded that I eat. Papa was not going to be happy if I acted such, so I had to go out of my room and sit at the lunch table. That was when papa suggested we go out for dinner to celebrate my birthday. He had said that I still deserve to have a party even if it was just the five of us. I started to shake my head, but remembered that I was here for a reason. It was my own fault that I was here...so I nodded silently and ate my lunch.

 

Birthday dinner wasn't much, but I was grateful that I had Xiumin, Luhan and Kris with me. It was awkward with papa alone, so I was thankful that the three oldies were with me. I was officially fourteen. Luhan and Xiumin handed me brown paper wrapped boxes. They prodded me to open it after dinner. We were still in the restaurant and I felt shy because of the people around. Most of the ones in the restaurant were British people. I guess, only a few were not. We were the only Asians. The other few were Indians and Hispanic. Kris laughed when I whispered to Luhan that I was scared to open their gifts. Luhan raised his eyebrows and wondered why I was scared. I didn't actually feel scared, but that was the first thing that came to my mind and I blurted it out.

 

Xiumin: Why are you scared?

Luhan: Yeah.

Me: I mean...I'm..not scared, but...kinda...uhm

Xiumin: Nothing to be scared of. It's just a birthday gift, mei baobei.

Me: No. I don't mean scared as in scared.

Kris: I didn't wrap my gift. For sure, you won't be scared when you see it.

Luhan: What is it?

Xiumin: Yeah, what is it? I didn't see you go out to buy.

Kris: I bought it back in Beijing.

Me: Did you bing it here?

Kris: Here? As in right here?

Me: Hmm..yes...

Kris: It's back at the house.

Xiumin: You're so sly, Li Shang.

Kris: I have magic, bibbidi bobbi di boo.

Xiumin: Shut up.

Luhan: He thinks he's superior 'cause he's sly.

Xiumin: Yeah. Bean pole sly.

Me: Beanstalk gege.

Kris: Shut it or I'll not give you your gift.

Me: Is beanstalk a bad thing?

Papa: Hush now. You're gonna start bickering again.

Kris: Meiyou ah...

Luhan: Say, papa. What's your birthday gift to Xiao Yi?

Papa: It's going to be a belated birthday gift. I'm...quite busy at the moment.

Luhan: Is it something like...a dollhouse?

Xiumin: * snorts*

 

Luhan elbowed him right away, and Xiumin cleared his throat. No one snorts in front of papa, okay? Even the boys. Especially the oldies. But of course, the boys just can't help it.

 

Papa: No, not a dollhouse. Our Yinzi is fourteen. She doesn't play with dolls now, does she?

Me: No papa. I still like dolls and dollhouses, but I don't think I wanna play them anymore.

Papa: See? It's going to be a surprise, Xiao Yi.

Me: Zhende ma?

Kris: Aish. Why mine hasn't been wrapped, all of your gifts are surprises.

Luhan: Mine's not really a surprise. I just wtapped it.

Kris: It's still going to be a surprise when she opens it.

Luhan: Well, you better wrap yours when we get back to the house.

Kris: Tch...no need.

Xiumin: What did you get Xiao Yi, then?

Me: I'll just open my gifts at...the house.

Xiumin: Okay, then.

 

I realized that none of us really referred to the Beckenham house as “home.” I wasn't alone in that department. The oldies haven't gotten used to referring to it as home. Only papa had called it home the minute we arrived. Beckenham might be where we are now, but home was still in Fengtai, where the rest of th family were.

 

I was on the verge of tears again, but I held my breath to prevent myself from crying. Xiumin saw it, but he didn't say anything. He just handed me a tissue and smiled. I made a face at him and rolled my eyes. I knew he knew that I was just doing that to prevent myself from being emotional again. After all, it was my birthday. I only turn fourteen once in my life, I better get my act before the day ended.

 

When we got back tot he house, I opened y gifts. Luhan's gift was a red telephone box keychain and rather large desk clock designed like the Big Ben. He said he bought it at one of the antique shops near the deli. He also said that the shopkeeper told him that they set the clock to chime at the same time as the Big Ben. Like synchronized it or something. Xiumin grinned when I opened his gift. It was an ornate jewelry box, the size of an iPhone. There were two vintage rings inside it and I put it on immediately. One was shaped like a crown, and the other the infinity symbol. I had wanted to have vintage stuff, so I thanked him. He also added that he would bring me, to the vintage shop he bought it from, sometime. Kris had scoffed at that. He handed me his gift. It was a locket. There were two small pearls engraved on the locket. When I opened it, one side of the locket was a picture of mama and papa. The other side was a mini picture of the 13 of us. I hugged him after that. He chuckled and hugged me back.

 

I was starting to miss everyone else again.

 

 


 

 

Other than my birthday, the rest of the week went by in a gloomy blur. I was constantly checking my phone and sns accounts for updates from the boys and my friends back in Beijing. And deny it as I want, I also was hoping to see any sign of Jungkook sending me a message. I did receive belated birthday greetings from Taehyung, though. He had sent a photo of him and V with a party hat. The puppy was getting bigger now. And He had added that his eomma had given birth to their baby sister on my birthday. That was why he wasn't able to greet me on that day. They were still thinking of a name for their baby sister, he had said. Apparently, all three of them wanted different names, and their appa wanted a simple one. Their eomma hadn't decided on the name, so they nicknamed her Aein. Namjoon had said that she would be a heartbreaker when she grows up because of that name. Yoongi did't really think of it as a good name, but he was the one who kept calling her that. Taehyung said that if his eomma picked the name he wanted, their sister would thank him for that when she grows up. I asked him what name he wanted and he said, Taerin. Yoongi wanted Yumi and Namjoon wanted Beongae. Weird, he said, naming their sister after lightning. To think that he was supposed to be the alien of the family, but it was Namjoon who wanted to name their sister weirdly.

 

It was refreshing to get some news from Taehyung and it felt like he was just a few blocks from me, just like back in Fengtai.

 

After the week, papa had gone back home. He gave last minute instructions to the oldies before he got in the plane. All four of us went to the airport to see papa off.

 

The following week, Luhan and Kris went to the DMV to submit their drivers' license applications. Xiumin stayed with me and sad he'd just go the next day. Twice every week, mama and papa called to check up on us. The other boys regulary chatted with us on Skype or through our other sns accounts.

 

Baekhyun and Tao were two of the chosen ones to represent Fengtai in a martial arts competition to be held in LA, California by the end of July. Mama was going to chaperone them because papa had some business to do. The two were excited to tell the news and we ended up talking until the wee hours of the morning...London time.

 

It meant that Baek and Tao would meet our cousins in LA, just like Kai did last summer. Kai had said that he told our cousins the news and that they were excited to meet the two. It would be a three-day competition, and the two requested to stay a little longer for a bit of vacation. There wasn't any plans for a summer vacation getaway, so they convinced mama to let them stay for a few more days in LA. Mama had agreed, and papa didn't protest either. The other boys were fidgety while Baek and Tao were excitedly announcing the news. Chen and Chanyeol looked extremely giddy and were poking each other. Suho kept eyeing them as if to warn them. Lay was somewhere in the back, just relaxed, but his eyes glinted mischievously. Kyungie looked normal, though. Well, normal Kyungie would be the prim and proper one. He just smiled and patted Tao and Baek. Sehun's mouth was being clamped by Baek as he spoke. It was evident that Sehun wanted to say something again. Probably about Jungkook. Again. Sehun kept trying to pry Baek's hand away, but Tao helped in grabbing his wrists and holding him down. Sehun probably got tired of fighting the two and just sat down.

 

It was the second week of July, and in a few days, Baek and Tao would go to LA to represent Fengtai. It would be a good exposure to them, participating in international competitions. I bet that's why papa allowed them. It would also be add to the reputation of our family. Anything that was good for the family name, papa allowed. And anything that would taint the family name, papa disallowed it.

 

I felt bad for myself. I felt as if I hadn't done anything good for the family name. That's why I was here, being punished.

 

Aish.

 

I decided I should stop thinking about the things that made me sad.

 

And all of a sudden, I got a call. From the London-bred brat. Soo Taeyong.

 

Great.

 

But he didn't sound cocky when he called. He just greeted me a belated happy birthday. Apparently, he just found out we were already in London. He asked if I was busy because he'd want to come over and show me around. He lived near Croydon. There were several schools near their house, but he was enrolled in Sedgehill because his grandpa and grandma were benefactors of the school. Sedgehill, I found out later on, was supposed to have been closed about three years ago, but because of his grandparents and some other wealthy businessmen, they saved the saved the school from closing.

 

I wasn't sure if Luhan would allow me to go around the place with Taeyong, and I wasn't sure if I wanted to see him. However, I still found the courage to ask Luhan. He said okay, as long as either one of them came with us. I sent Taeyong a message telling him that it was okay, but Luhan, Kris or Xiumin would have to come with us. The brat sent a reply that he'd just call me back as soon as he decided when he'd come over.

 

He came over the next day, though. Kris went with us, since Xiumin had to go to the DMV to submit his driver's license application. Luhan had to go with him since he knew the train and bus to take to the DMV. They couldn't drive yet, since they were using their Chinese licenses. Papa had said that it was best that they wait for their British license, so they won't have any restrictions. Of course, the oldies were wise enough to heed papa's instruction.

 

Kris was all eyes on me and Taeyong as he came over. He wasn't allowed to drive yet, since he was underaged, so he came with his driver. As we drove around the place, he went on telling me about his plight with Siwon and his henchmen that day he was kidnapped. He said that he was bound and blindfolded, so he couldn't see where they were going. He just felt some bumps on the road and swayed left or right whenever the car made a turn. Siwon and his men didn't really talk about where they were. He said that Siwon talked in cryptic. It was like he had planned the whole thing for a long time. Siwon was careful in mentioning stuff to his men. Taeyong stopped for a few minutes as he relayed what happened when they arrived at the border of Beijing. Siwon had hit him three times and he fell unconsious. Taeyong had touched his jaw absentmindedly when he said that. I saw that he still had a small scar along his cheek. He had looked at me and softly said that Siwon had run a knife along that cheek and he just felt his skin sting as he was cut. It seemed to me like Siwon had tortured Taeyong while he was in his custody. Kris ge just listened and didn't give any comment. But as I glanced at him, his face got distorted as he winced when Taeyong described how Siwon had run a knife along his cheek and threatened to do the same to his other cheek.

 

Kris finally voiced out that it would be better if we talked about better things like showing us around properly, instead of reminiscing about the neurotic Siwon. He had said that he was glad that everyone was alright now and it would help in forgetting the horrible incident if we didn't talk about it. Taeyong nodded and instructed his driver to proceed to our next destination. Taeyong showed us the nearby parks and sights, as he said that we'd be discovering the other places by ourselves as time goes by. He also brought us to their house in Croydon. Kris had called Luhan to inform him that we'd be having lunch at Taeyong's. Luhan and Xiumin had said that it was okay, since they were still out and exploring East Dulwich. Taeyong had said that it wasn't far from Norwood and that the two could probably find the house if they take the A215 and detour to the A213 from where they were. Luhan scoffed and told Taeyong that they didn't drive a car, so it would be useless. Taeyong apologized and told them that they can take the bus just at the Dulwich Library stop. Xiumin had said that they were currently in the library, checking out...the place...or something. I saw Kris roll his eyes, meaning, he knew that it would have been something more than just the place. Taeyong had added that Luhan and Xiumin can ride the bus in Peckham station to Spring Lane, and it would take about forty to forty five minutes. Then it was just a five-minute walk from the station to Taeyong's house in Woodside, Croydon. The two oldies probably noted the directions before responding. We waited for the two at the Ashburton park. Taeyong's grandpa had us to be back as soon as Luhan and Xiumin arrives.

 

Taeyong's house was rather big and screamed luxury. It was rather evident even from the driveway. They didn't have a huge lawn, but the backyard was big. It was one of those British houses that had steps up the front door and had wrought iron fences in front. There wasn't much ornate columns and such, but you could guess by the size of the house and cobblestone and marble walkway, that the people who reside were well-to do. Well, who would line their walkway with marble but the rich?

 

I wouldn't go to much on describing the house because I wouldn't exactly know what's inside, since we didn't go through every room. We just mostly stayed in one of the drawing rooms after we had lunch.

 

Anyway, after our stay at Taeyong's, we went directly back to Beckenham.

 

 


 

We had a surprise the next week.

 

Luhan received a call from papa that Mama, Baek and Tao had gone to LA for their martial arts competition. They would be staying in LA for a week; three days for the competition and four days vacation. After that, papa probably gave some instructions to Luhan, for he kept on nodding his head and saying, “Yes papa...okay... I got it...” He then gave the phone to Xiumin who said the same thing. I stared at them while they were on the phone. Kris was the one in the kitchen at that time, and Luhan had to take his place as Kris was supposed to talk to papa as well. The three of them looked at each other after the call. They had the looks of confusion, but just shrugged all the same, then went on with what they were doing before the call. I sensed something fishy, and I tried asking them what papa said.

 

Kris: I don't know what you're talking about, mei baobei.

Me: But all of you looked exactly the same when papa talked to you.

Xiumin: Like what?

Me: Like...hmm...it was exactly like that time last year when papa called about going to Hong Kong.

Xiumin: What about Hong Kong?

Luhan: Yeah what about Hong Kong?

Kris: Hong Kong? What Hong Kong?

Me: Why don't you just tell me?

Kris: Tell you what?

Xiumin: Well, papa just said that we're supposed to do our grocery shopping today and make sure to stock up.

Kris: Yeah, weird. He didn't say that when he left for Beijing a few weeks ago.

Xiumin: Probably forgot.

Luhan: There's a deli shop at the corner, so no need for us to stock up so much.

Kris: But, going to the supermarket doesn't hurt, actually. And to stock up on food is always number one on my list.

Luhan: You betcha.

Me: Hmm...Can I go then?

Luhan: Go where?

Me: With you, to do grocery?

Luhan: Ah, that? Sure, you can.

Me: So, when do we go?

Xiumin: Let's go?

Luhan: Now?

Xiumin: Why not?

Me: Let's go...

Kris: Let's take the train, then take the bus back here.

Xiumin: Ahhhh...it's a hassle if we don't have our own car.

Luhan: Just one more week, anyway. We'll get our license.

Kris: That's seven more days...

Me: Mine would still be for another three years?

Luhan: Shush. Let's just go.

 

So yeah, we did our grocery shopping that day. We strolled for a while as well, before going back.

 

 

---------------------------

 

 

Two days later, around 1 AM.

 

I was still up, chatting with friends in Fengtai online. The three oldies were still probably awake, too. And in there rooms, I guessed. I heard a commotion downstairs. I quickly excused myself from my friends and tiptoed to the door. I opened it just a little bit and peeked outside. I saw Kris go out of his room to check downstairs. His room was nearest the stairs, so he would have heard the commotion as well. Luhan and Xiumin went out of their respective rooms as well and followed Kris. I made my way out the door, and followed the three down the stairs. Since Kris was the first one down, upon reaching the hall, he had stopped in his tracks and froze. Luhan and Xiumin fell behind him and pushed him away as they stood back up. I stopped just behind the three of them and tried to peek in between their tall frames.

 

Gege!”

 

I knew that voice.

 

And after I heard the voice, I heard a few more voices that crowded around the stairs.

 

Whoa! Is this our house?”

 

I don't wanna go back home.”

 

So coooooool.”

 

Gege, we left home around the same time, and arrived the same time here. It's like we haven't even left.”

 

How's this place like? Let's go to the park tomorrow, ne?”

 

Park? Where?”

 

I think we passed by a park on our way here.”

 

I think we passed by many parks on our way here.”

 

Where's Xiao Yi? Sleeping?”

 

Yeah, Xiao Yi zai na er?”

 

Dongsaeng-ya?”

 

And I saw Chanyeol's face peek from behind the three oldies who had moved aside and started to walk toward the family room.

 

My brothers were here.

 

I smiled. A genuine smile since the last time I did, which I didn't remember anymore.

 

I saw everyone of them in the hall and as I peeked at the family room, I saw their luggage on the floor, with papa reclining on one of the armchairs, and on the phone. Probably talking to mama.

 

No wonder he asked us to stock up on the food supply. They were coming to surprise us.

 

Only Mama, Baek and Tao were not present, since they were in LA. I hugged my brothers one by one and I almost cried again. Kai had said that it was papa's belated birthday present to me. They'd be spending the rest of the summer vacation in London with us. He also added that MK was against him spending his summer vacation abroad again, but when he told her that it was in London, his eomma had said yes. She was in London, apparently, and wanted to see him. Chen then chided that Kai shouldn't give out our Beckenham address to MK because she might barge in unannounced again. Kai promised that he wouldn't do that, and would just ask his mom to meet him somewhere in the mall or park.

 

Suho: Mama and the two will just follow after their vacation in LA. Tao and Baek wanted to spend some time with the cousins.

Me: How about you? Didn't you want to go there, too?

Suho: It was hard to pass on the chance fort the trip to London, Xiao Yi. And when papa told us that it would be a belated birthday gift for you, the decision wasn't hard to make.

Chen: Exactly. We wanted to see you guys.

Kai: And we wanted to hold another birthday party for you.

Kyungie: We should plan the party now, then.

Suho: After we all rest and sleep. I'm so tired.

 

He went to sit at the couch beside Sehun who had drifted off to sleep already. Lay and Xiumin were talking with each other while walking towards the kitchen. I just heard Lay say something about “London food” and that he was hungry. Luhan followed them to the kitchen. Papa finished his call and told the boys to bring their luggage up. Then he added that there should be room assignments, since there were only four rooms.

 

I'd have to share my room.

 

I didn't mind. I was happy. Really happy. Punishment hasn't been this easy, as I listened to papa giving out the room assignments. I'd be sharing the room with Sehun and Kai. Luhan's room was the largest, since it was the master's bedroom, so four people would be sharing it. The study room would be used as a bedroom for the meantime too; papa and mama's room to be exact. Papa added that he and mama won't be staying for a long time in London because of work. As soon as mama brings Baek and Tao to London, she and papa will just stay for one more day before they get back to Beijing. Suho and Lay would be in charge of them on the way back home.

 

Kris and Suho helped papa prepare the study room. The other boys heaved their luggage upstairs to their room assignments. Sehun reluctantly woke up and dragged his luggage up to my room, as Kai carried his suitcase above his head. He dumped it on the bedroom floor and went to lay down on my bed. Sehun did the same and instantly fell asleep. Kai got up though, and asked me if I was hungry. I told him that I already ate dinner a few hours ago, so I didn't feel hungry. He nodded and went downstairs himself. I knew Lay and Xiumin were cooking, because before we went upstairs, Lay had ran upstairs to dump his stuff in his room assignment and ran back down, saying that he didn't want to burn the food. Luhan was still in the kitchen, and apparently, he didn't trust Luhan to cook his food.

 

I had let Kai go down to eat. I knew most of the boys would eat since it was normal...kind of like a routine, actually, back home. It was almost 2 AM, but the boys were still awake and hungry, despite them having jetlag. Only Sehun slept through the night. He woke up the next day, and didn't care whether the other boys had fun last night, as long as he was able to sleep.

 

 

--------------------------------

 

 

Three days after, Baek and Tao announced that they each got bronze medal for their respective duels. They were excited to follow to London, but they'd be spending the next four days in LA with our cousins. Baek had already set out a schedule for the next three days. Tao had said that they shouldn't be doing much on the last day, because they were expected to fly to London around evening of that day.

 

Our cousins in LA finally met the two and they corresponded with us through our sns accounts. It was a good thing that Baek and Tao spent some time in LA, because they were able to practice their english skills. Jien gege and Kerin jie spoke Mandarin, so the two won't have any problem getting instructions. We did have english lessons in school, but the boys were just too lazy to really pay attention. They barely passed the subject when they took it. I guess aside from me, only Kyungie followed through with the advanced english classes that our school offered. Not even Suho or Luhan took those advanced classes. They relied on Kris too much when they needed to have something translated from English to Mandarin or Korean.

 

Anyway, after the week was up, mama and the two boys left LA and proceeded to London. We didn't go with papa and Luhan to the airport to pick them up, but let them experience the sights along the way. I knew that if we went to pick them up, it would be noisy in the car and that the two won't be able to enjoy the sights along the road.

 

We had arranged the furniture inside the rooms to accomodate everyone.

 

The other boys would be staying in the study room when papa and mama leave for Beijing. Two weeks before the summer vacation ends, the boys would return to Beijing. They'd have to confirm their registration for the next school year as we always did.

 

As soon as they arrived, the house began to be as noisy as when we were in Beijing. I immediately dreaded going out of my room. I knew I would be the of all jokes again. I was glad they were here, but I was also starting to get annoyed because there wasn't a day that one of them forgot to mess my hair, pinch my cheeks, carry me on his shoulder, or to pull my food away from me and eat it.

 

Yes. Even while papa was there. And even when mama was around. Especially when papa and mama left for Beijing.

 

I had wanted to protest, but I told myself that it wouldn't last, because they'd be back home when the summer vacation was over. And when that happened, I'd be left in peace. Actually, no. Because there will still be the three oldies who'd bully me from time to time. I just knew that. But for three years, there'd be nine less bullies in this house. And it was something. I'd miss them for sure, but at least for three years, I'd be sort of...in peace and quiet. LOL.

 

 

-----------------------------

 

 

Let's just say that I enjoyed the rest of my summer vacation. With the boys complete, even with the absence of mama and papa, we still enjoyed our vacation. The three oldies also had finally gotten their British licenses, so we were able to drive around. The three of them bought second-hand cars to drive around London, Luhan stating that he didn't need a brand new car, since he wouldn't be staying for good anyway. Xiumin and Kris followed suit and gotten second-hand cars as well.

 

We got another invitation from Taeyong to their home, and the boys were excited to see the house. I noticed that Sehun and Kai were the only ones who were not that excited to see Taeyong again. I had a hunch that they were both back on speaking terms with Jungkook. If they were on speaking terms with him, would it be possible that he would have sent me a message already? I could only hope.

 

I had stealthily checked my phone for any messages from him, but I didn't see anything. I had purposely avoided checking my phone these last few days, not even checking my sns accounts. I knew my friends back in Fengtai would have been worried by now, since the last time I spoke with them was when the boys arrived from Beijing. After that, I haven't checked back again.

 

I was sad when I didn't see any messages from him. I did check his sns accounts and see that he was corresponding with Sehun and Kai alright. There were posts where the three of them were conversing as if they hadn't had any issues before.

 

I think I had looked really sad because Chanyeol noticed and started walking toward me. I immediately pocketed my phone and acted cool. He still asked me if I was alright, though. I nodded and told him that I was just tired. We were only a few minutes in Taeyong's house, so it was sort of odd that I told him I was tired already. He didn't take his eyes off me by then. I tried my best to hide my sadness and acted as if I was enjoying myself.

 

As we went back home, yes, I finally admit that Beckenham was also home, I went directly upstairs to my room. Sehun and Kai shared the room with me, and I was determined to ask them about Jungkook.

 

Only Sehun went upstairs, though. Kai stayed downstairs with the other boys to play videogames. I could sense that Sehun knew I had something to ask, so instead of playing with the others, he went up to check on me.

 

Sehun: Are you alright?

Me: Yes.

Sehun: I know you are not alright.

Me: I'm okay.

Sehun: We told Jungkook you're staying here for three years.

Me: What?

Sehun: He didn't really take it well. But, it explained why he didn't speak with us for a while. He thought you were being cold to him, so he was being cold with the rest of us.

Me: So...you're friends again?

 

I couldn't tell Sehun that I stalked their online conversations.

 

Sehun: Yep.

Me: That's good.

Sehun: He's been meaning to talk to you, too.

Me: Why?

Sehun: To apologize.

Me: For what?

 

Oh...he had a lot to apologize for.

 

Sehun: I don't know. He didn't say.

Me: Hmm...

Sehun: Why? Hasn't he said anything to you?

Me: Huh? I...no, he hasn't.

Sehun: Don't tell me he also gave you the cold treatment until this time?

Me: Well...

 

I grimaced. Sehun snorted and patted my back.

 

Sehun: Ah. He'll come around, you know. Just give it a few more days, I guess. I wasn't sure that he wasn't talking to you, too. I just thought that he was only givin us the cold treatment because you didn't tell him about London, but was still in contact with you, until that time when I asked him if he knew. Kai wasn't too happy about the cold treatment, so I proactively asked him what his problem was.

Me: It's okay. I guess he had the right to feel bad about it.

Sehun: Stupid, though.

Me: I'm stupid.

Sehun: Both of you are.

Me: Aish...

Sehun: You two were so close back in Beijing. Why should you be un-close now that you're here?

Me: Shut it.

Sehun: He's your best guy friend, right?

Me: After Taehyung?

Sehun: Pfffft...I don't think so. He's first before Taehyung. Hahaha!

Me: Okay, fine.

Sehun: I know you like him, mei baobei.

 

And I couldn't respond. I just jabbed his arm and he chuckled.

 

Crap.

 

I was busted.

 

 

 


 

 

To make a long story short, the end of the summer vacation came. The boys had to go back to Beijing. Suho and Lay were incharge of the seven others. The three oldies commended them for being able to take care of the rest. Baekhyun tried so hard to act as an oldie, but he failed when he was the last one to leave the bathroom again. It was like back in Fengtai again, that day we were to leave for Hong Kong. Kris just rolled his eyes as Suho knocked on the bathroom door asking him to move faster or the plane would leave them.

 

Thankfully, they were able to make it to the airport on time. None of the boys were left behind. Suho was able to breathe easy once they had checked their luggage in and counted everyone, before going to the departure area. Xiumin, Luhan, Kris and I bade them goodbye and wished them a safe trip.

 

We didn't stay for long at the airport as soon as the boys stepped inside the check-in area. I felt sad again, but it wasn't the same kind of sadness I had when I first left for London.

 

We had gone back to Beckenham in high spirits. We were just glad that we were able to spend the summer vacation with the family, and were looking forward to the school opening.

 

I started school earlier than the oldies. They wouldn't start their classes until after a week that mine did. The three of them would be taking turns to drive me to and from school, depending on their schedule. It would be the routine, until I was comfortable enough taking the bus by myself. Sedgehill wasn't really far from our home. I wasn't too familiar with the place yet, so I'd still rely on the oldies to drive me to and from school for a little while.

 

 

----------------------------------

 

 

September first. Six days before the start of classes. Jungkook's birthday.

 

I braced myself for something. I had decided to send him a birthday greeting through his sns.

 

Beijing was eight hours ahead of London, so I was careful in making sure that I send the greeting exactly twelve midnight, Beijing time. It was four in the afternoon, London time.

 

Hi. It's been a while. Just dropping by to say happy birthday, Jungkook. Saeng-il chukhahamnida nae chin-gu ga.”

 

I re-read it a few times before I posted on his timeline. I wanted it to be as simple, yet meaningful. When I was sure that it was both, I pressed the “enter” button to post the greeting.

 

I quickly exited the sns app, scared of what his reply may be. If....he even would reply.

 

I left my phone on my bedside table and went downstairs. Luhan was vacuuming the floor in the family room and Kris was doing the laundry. Xiumin was in the kitchen, already preparing for dinner. To take my mind off my phone, I volunteered to help him. He gladly accepted my help and gave instructions.

 

I temporarily forgot about my phone as I got busy helping out. There was no househelp here, so we had to the chores on our own. I didn't complain. It was just the way life was in this part of the world.

 

Before dinner, I went upstairs to freshen up. And that's when I saw my phone on the table. I hesitated at first, but picked it up all the same. I wanted to check it so badly that it almost fell off my grip as my hands trembled.

 

There it was.

 

One notification.

 

I pressed the “view notification” option.

 

Gomawo-yo, Yinzi.”

 

 

I dropped to the bed and fanned myself.

 

He replied.

 

OMG.

 

Best birthday present ever!

 

I forgot I had to get down for dinner, and I just heard a knock on my door and Kris' head poking inside.

 

Yinzi. Dinner.”

 

 

 



 

Jungkook and Xiao Yi on speaking terms again? Yes. Right.

Papa Wu had the best birthday gift? Or Jungkook? Tell me in the comments. xD

Last one or...two chapters next. Thank you so much for staying with the Wu kids until this time. I won't make this a long note, so let me say this → ♥♥♥  吳愛你們!我愛你們!