Fast Forward

Th13teen

 

Papa arrived home Monday evening. He was supposed to arrive Saturday, about the same time as Kris ge, but he had to extend for two more days. When he arrived home, he had said that his boss' family came with them. They would be staying in China for at least two months. Their children were home-schooled, so it wouldn't be a problem for them if they travelled for a long time.

 

He told us to be nice to his boss children. We were to meet them Friday for dinner. Papa said that it would be best that we all behave properly. He also said that we could take turns showing them around and making friends with them.

 

During dinner, Friday evening, all 13 of us were in our best evening wear and behavior. It was informal dinner, but nevertheless, mama made sure that we were dressed for the occasion. It was held in one of the hotels where Mr. Soo Kui's family was biletted.

 

We were already seated at the table when Jungkook and his family arrived. Oh, yeah. His appa was the one who headed the Beijing office, so naturally they'd be invited. Then Taehyung and his family arrived. His appa had come to Beijing today for the dinner. There were two other families that were already there when we arrived. I didn't know them personally, but papa had said that they were the ones who headed the sub offices in Hong Kong and Beijing. Like a direct assistant to Mr. Kim and Mr. Min.

 

Papa's boss and his family arrived shortly after everyone who was invited got settled in. There were several tables that we occupied. Other hotel guests were also there, but papa's boss reserved at least six tables that were in one corner of the hotel in-house restaurant.

 

We already knew Mrs. Soo because we had seen her for quite a number of times already. But it was our first time seeing their children. It was their children's first time going to China. Papa had said that they mostly went to the UK or Japan for vacation.

 

Mr. Soo Kui had three children. The eldest was a girl, her name was Seul Gi. She was a year older than Suho and Lay. The middle child was a boy. His name was Taeyong and he was about Tao's age. The youngest was Jeno. And he was my age.

 

Seul Gi was pretty and she was graceful in everything she did. The way she walked or even just to flip her hair was like the wind blowing gently in her direction. I kind of envied her because she was tall. She greeted everyone with a slight bow and smile. I could tell she was really nice. Luhan was eyeing her intently. I saw him glance at her a number of times. I could also see that Lay ge was interested in her.

 

If Seul Gi was nice, her brother Taeyong was the opposite. It seemed to me like he was only there because he was expected to be there. He also looked like he was forced to smile and behave properly. After greeting everyone, he sat at the cornermost chair and minded his business. He seemed aloof. I didn't like him. I narrowed my eyes as I observed him. He saw me looking at him and he smirked and nodded at me, then to my surprise, he winked at me.

 

What the...?

 

My mouth hung open and I raised my eyebrow at him. His sister sat beside him and saw him smirking. She nudged him by the shoulder and he brushed it off with his hand. His sister glared at him but he just smirked at her.

 

This guy is arrogant. Hmm...

 

Jeno was silent, but he smiled a lot. He even went to shake the hands of papa's colleagues and their wives. I was seated with my brothers and our parents were seated at the boss' table. He smiled at me when he met my eyes. In fact, he smiled at everyone. He was like his sister...nice. Not like their other brother.

 

Anyway, dinner went along fine. There were no major mishaps. After dinner, the elders allowed us kids to wander off, while they went for a nightcap at the bar. Just inside the hotel, though. I stayed in the lounge with Soo oppa and Sehun. We had bubbletea as requested by who else. Anyway, the other boys went to check out the shops inside the hotel. Most of my brothers stayed in the other couches in the lounge. I was able to talk to Seul Gi and say hi to her. She was indeed nice. She told me I looked like Luhan ge. Kris and Luhan were like hawks in spotting Jungkook's attemtps to talk to me. He and his brothers were also in the lounge just chilling. Namjoon had joined them and he was joking with J and Jimin. Jin went to sit near the grand piano where a lady was playing a Bach piece. I knew it was Bach. Kai had been playing it on loop one time during exam week when he was studying. Yoongi and Lay were talking in one corner and glancing at Seul Gi as she spoke to me.

 

Meanwhile, Soo Taeyong sat alone. He leaned casually on the couch and was nodding his head to the music.

 

I made myself focus on the other people instead of observing the arrogant guy that was the son of papa's boss. I was successful. I only had to glance at Jungkook's back as he played rock, paper, scissors with Kai. When I turned my head to look at Taeyong again, he was gone. He probably got bored and went back to their room. I shrugged and wasted the remaining minutes with staring at the ceiling and listening to the music. I just realized that Jin had replaced the girl on the piano when I straightened up to sit properly. He was indeed like Lay ge. He made magic happen on the piano at the touch of his fingers.

 

It was another hour before the dinner party adjourned. Our parents had said goodnight to the other business associates and the boss. We all got up and bade them goodnight as well as to enjoy their stay in China. Luhan had to pull Chen and Kai away from the Kims because they were having much fun playing snaps before we left.

 

Papa led the way to the hotel's parking lot. We came in two cars, the Odyssey and Sienna. I trailed behind Yo oppa as he walked slowly to the car. He was nursing a slight injury to his leg because he fell on the ground when he tried to do a "hippie jump" or jumpiong over a bar. He hit his leg on the side of the road and he had to be excused from practice for the week. His injury was almost healed, so he could walk properly again.

 

When we were all inside the car, papa made Xiumin lead the convoy. I was in the car where papa was driving. We followed Xiumin, who was driving the Sienna, out of the parking lot.

 

"WHOAAA! That guy's awesome!"

 

Sehun was looking out the window and when we turned to look at what he was referring to, we saw someone doing a switch kickflip off a stairset by the almost empty croner of the parking lot.

 

"Isn't that Soo Taeyong?"

"Mr. Soo Kui's son?"

"Shui ne? Who?"

"Taeyong-ah."

"Zhen de? Let me see..."

 

Yes, it was him. The parking lot was brightly lit and we could make out his white shirt and rolled up pants as he maneouvered his skateboard along the stairset.

 

That don't impress me much.

 

Right.

 

 


 

From the time papa arrived from Korea, he kept reminding the three oldies that by December, they were expected to do internship at the Beijing office. Papa was going to Thailand first week of December and he wanted the three to be assigned as his staff while he was away. Mama was hesitant to let the boys shoulder a big responsibility, but papa insisted that if the time was not now, when would be the time that they finally had a taste of the business world? When they were in college? After college? No, he said. The earlier they start, the better. Papa had called the school administration as a heads up and any exams or homework my brothers would have, the school send it as a take home exam or homework. Much like correspondence school for the month of December. Anyway, papa had said that the work he would be delegating the three won't be the ones that needed a degree yet. They would start at the bottom of the chain, he had said. As his staff, they would be the ones who'd look after updates and reports of the field workers and collate them for encoding.

 

Papa: I'm sure the boys would be able to do the work properly.

Mama: What if not?

Papa: Don't think like that. I have been training them for almost two years for this. It's time they put it in actuality.

Mama: It's not that I don't trust them to do a good job, but...

Papa: Trust your boys. They can do it.

Mama: *sigh* Haoba...

 

They were talking during dinner one time. We were all at the dinner table. Papa was in Beijing for the rest of November. It meant that he would be able to attend Chanyeol's party. When he learned that we planned to have his party at the paintball arena, he laughed it off and patted his chest.

 

Papa: I used to play paintball with friends back in college.

Luhan: You never told us.

Papa: You never asked.

Chan: Then...then...would you join one game?

Papa: Who? Me?

Chan: Yes.

 

He grinned widely andshowed his teeth.

 

Papa: I know that smile CanLie.

Chan: Heehee, papa.

Papa: Your friends will be there, ne?

Chan: Yes.

Papa: I would look out of place if I join...hmm...

Sehun: If you should join pa, don't with the no rules game...if you want to win.

Papa: Winning is not everything. If you enjoyed, it's enough. It's the fact that you did your best and made it happen, even if you don't end up winning.

Sehun: But isn't being successful in everything you do the thing you want us to do?

Papa: Yes, right.

Sehun: But you say...

Papa: If you failed at something, it doesn't mean you are a failure. If you did the best you can do, you have succeeded in one way. You succeeded in showing everyone what you can do and never gave up to the end.

Mama: That's true. Don't think that if you fail at something that we won't be proud of you.

Kai: What if I failed my math exam?

Papa: Have you studied?

Kai: Uhm...I'm not saying I did, pa. I just want to know what if...?

Papa: If you studied, it's okay. If not, there's a consequence.

Kai: Yikes...

Tao: So you flunked your math exam?

Kai: Andwaeeee!

Chen: I almost flunked...my statistics exam...

Kris: I passed everything.

Suho: Because you had easy questions. I bet your teachers gave you easy questions because it's your birthday. Hahahah.

Kris: Snow White, you are just jealous.

Suho: Pfffffttt...

Mama: It's okay to be jealous, but it's better to work on your weaknesses and make it your strong point.

Papa: Yes, right. All of you should remember that.

 

I mentally took note of that. If I was not the best, it didn't mean I was a failure.

 

I had to smile at that.

 

 

 


 

 

Baek had been assigned to report to papa regarding the progress of the construction of our new home. Kris had to oversee the whole thing and Baek had to pay attention to the updates and whatever Kris told him about the progress. Even if papa was in Beijing, he was still busy. Especially because his boss' family was in China. Mama had to accompany Mrs. Soo after her classes, so both her and papa came home late every night. Luhan and Xiumin had soccer practices. Suho, Kai and Chen were preparing for the pre-gala show before the holidays, so it left Lay to manage home.

 

Suho had drawn up a schedule for the whole month of December. He and the two other boys who were part of the theater arts guild had at least three shows before Christmas break. Kai had to manage his time wisely because the upcoming interschool eliminations were near. It was going to be held two days before Chanyeol's birthday.

 

With Kris playing for the basketball team this school year, Baekhyun had to do some of his tasks. He went to do the grocery one time. We were surprised to see him returning with grocery bags. He had taken Suho's car one Sunday morning and we thought he was just going for a practice drive. He usually practiced driving on weekends. He was becoming a better driver now and no longer bumping randomly at any lamp posts or mail boxes. LOL.

 

Suho: Whoaaaa! Our good boy Baixian did grocery.

Luhan: You used your card? Gongxi! Hahaha.

Suho: That's right. Don't hesitate to spend if it's for the house.

Xiumin: What spend? Ohh... Baekkie. You did grocery?

Kris: Did you buy ground beef?

Suho: What do you need it for?

Kris: I'm experimenting on making burger patties.

Luhan: You're cooking?

Kris: Yeah, why?

Luhan: Hahahaha.

Suho: Lu ge, let's give him a chance.

Kris: Yes, Mulan. At least I don't burn the kitchen. Pfffffttt...hahahaha.

Baek: Why don't you help me carry these and place them inside the pantry and fridge instead of just talking? There are more in the car...Qing. Jebal. Juseyo. Please?

Xiumin: Hahahaha...tchh...You can do it. You're no longer a little boy.

Luhan: Speaking of little boys...Snow White here is...

Suho: Oh please. Not with the "little boy" lame joke again.

 

I was on my way down the stairs that time and the oldies were lazily lounging in the living room. Luhan was lying on the couch and had one leg up the backrest of the couch. Kris was reclining on the armchair and had his foot on top of the coffee table. His other foot was stretched under the table as he hugged a throw pillow. Xiumin and Suho were sitting cross-legged on the other couch and were playing cards.

 

Lay ge was busy instructing the househelp with the food preparation with the help of Soo.

 

Lay: Uhm...no, you have to do it like this. Yes, yes...ahhh...hao...

Soo: And can you please slice this? I'll just make the whipped cream.

 

I went to the back to sit by the pool. Yo oppa's injury was better now. But he wasn't allowed to exert much effort on that leg yet, so he was still excused from practice. He was kind of irritated by the fact that he might not make it the interschool elimination rounds. He sat by the pool with Chen. They were making invitation cards for his birthday. Tao and Kai were seated not far from them and they also had stuff strewn on the tiled floor by the pool. I went to sit by them and asked if I could be of any help.

 

Chan: Sure. I actually need to make this look like a paintball splatter but somehow it looks like a balloon. Hahaha. Can you help with the other cards?

Me: Okay. So, I just draw paintball splatters over the words?

Chan: Yup.

Me: Ah. Arasseo.

Tao: Xiao Yi-ah, after you're done, give it here. We're making the envelopes.

Me: Okay.

 

Tao and Kai were cutting colored paper and shaping them into squares and folding them into triangles. I wasn't sure how it would end up looking like envelopes, but I just shrugged and let them do what they wanted. Kai was chuckling to himself after he cut a triangle and placed it on top of another larger triangle. Then he smiled.

 

Kai: It looks better this way, Tao.

Tao: Do we need to cut out letters too?

Kai: I don't think so. Hyung?

Chan: Yes?

Kai: Do we need to cut out letters?

Chan: Can you?

Chen: No need la. It's the inside that matters. Just finish your envelopes.

Kai: Okay.

 

Oh, so they were making a sort of folded-table-napkin-like envelope instead of the usual envelope where you insert the card inside. This one looked more like just a triangular card holder. Kai had stuck the smaller triangle on top of the larger one and it served as a seal.

 

My brothers were artistic, alright.

 

 


 

There was an interschool rap challenge the week before Chanyeol's birthday. He was better too and was able to join the practices. He was confident that he will make it through the eliminations. During one of their team's practice, Tao had broke the news that there was a rap challenge being held at the park near the school the next day. YSI sponsored the event and invited all the schools in the Fengtai district to join, as well as the nearby Beijing schools.

 

Tao had urged Namjoon and J to join the challenge and their team gathered school supporters to cheer for them. Tao, being the fanboy, had updated his SNS accounts that exact moment about the rap challenge. And since most students in school were internet residents (LOL), the word spread like fire. That was how I knew about it, too. I was already home by then, because Lay had gotten off early from his classes. Suho and Chen had to remain again because they were practicing for the pre-gala show.

 

The next day, almost half the school went to support them at the park. To our surprise, Yoongi had also entered the competition. Because they were not that well-versed in Chinese yet, Yoongi, Namjoon and j had executed their piece in Korean. The crowd went wild and you had to give to FISkT. They were the loudest. Tao, Chanyeol and Kai had rapped along even if they didn't know the words to it. Jimin had to dance along with Taehyung following him. Jungkook danced with them and cheered for his J hyung. LOL. Even Jin was there to support his younger brother. Lay had video recorded the battles and uploaded them the night after. All three of them, Yoongi, Namjoon and J made it to the semis. The finals had been moved to another date because it was already dark when the semis were done. There was an overwhelming response from the schools and each school who participated sent at least two or three people to compete.

 

FISkT team had been noisy even after the battles. Chanyeol expressed his awe at how Yoongi delivered his piece flawlessly. Namjoon just shook his head and playfully punched his hyung's shoulders.

 

NJ: Hyung, you never told me you're underground.

Yoongi: You never asked.

NJ: All these years I have been making music and you did not tell me you were good at this? I should have let you help me make that birthday rap, ya know.

Yoongi: I'm a busy guy, Namjoonie.

Chanyeol: Hyung, you should teach me.

Yoongi: I got swim team, saeng.

Chan: Geez. I should have picked the swimteam then...

Tao: What? Then we'd be one person short on the team?

Kai: Hyung, stay in the team. We don't want you to drown.

Tao: Ne...it's gonna be a shame if you drown in the water with your length.

Sehun: News heading...caption... "Giant drowned in a six feet deep pool."

 

Laughter.

 

You should not expect a giant to drown in a six feet deep pool, though. It would just be plain stupid. Yo oppa was almost six feet tall.

 

The FISkTeam had a small celebration after that. But I didn't want to go with them even if we were invited. I asked Lay ge to drive me home, but he told me that there would be no one else at home except me and the househelp. Luhan was at soccer practice with Xiumin and Kris his basketball drills. Suho and Chen still had practice. Kai was exempted because his part was just for the dance which had regular practices during dance classes and Tuesdays.

 

In the middle of the celebration, Lay received a call. It was papa. As he was the oldest Wu present, papa called him.

 

Lay: Papa. Celebrating Yoongi, Namjoon and J's win at semis for the interschool rap challenge...hmm...Xiao Yi? With me...here...yes...eoohh? Okay. Okay. Will do that.

 

He looked at me as he pocketed his phone after talking to papa. He seemed to be contemplating on something, because he paused for a couple of minutes before he spoke.

 

Lay: Papa asked me to bring you to his office.

Me: Me? Why?

Lay: I don't know. He just asked if you were with me and when I said yes, he wanted me to bring you there. Now.

Me: Whoa-oh...

 

Lay got up from his seat and excused himself from the table. He asked me to follow him. I didn't like what I felt. I didn't know why papa asked for me. Before I stood up, I dropped my gaze on the table. We were in a pizza shop. I slowly looked up and met Jungkook's eyes. He looked like he wanted to say something, but he just bit his lower lip and did a thumbs up. A way to say "Fighting!" I smiled a little and nodded. Then I got up and excused myself. I followed Lay ge to the car. He was already inside and had started the engine.

 

About twenty minutes later, Lay ge parked the car in front of papa's office building. His GPS was on. He knew where the building was, but he just wanted to make sure he didn't get lost. OTL. He had told the lobby attendant that he won't be long as he only needed to bring me to papa, then he'd be going. The attendant nodded and told the guard to leave his car where it was.

 

Lay ge had sent papa a text message that we had arrived and was on the way to his office. He led me to the elevators and waited for one to open. When we got inside, he pressed the floor of papa's office. When we reached the floor, he walked me towards the reception area. He spoke with the woman who was there and told her that he was bringing me as papa requested. The woman nodded and asked me to sit down first. Lay told me to behave and that he would be going ahead. I nodded, a little bit uncomfortable. I didn't know what papa needed from me.

 

When Lay left, I felt as if I was in another world where I didn't know anyone. I kept looking around and hoping to see papa walking towards me. The woman at the reception area may have noticed my uneasiness. She picked up a phone and dialled. She spoke with someone for a couple of minutes. I couldn't hear what she said because I was sitting on a couch, a few feet from her. After she replaced the receiver, she had called me and asked me to follow her.

 

I got up and heaved my backpack on one shoulder as I followed her inside. She opened a door to what looked like a small waiting room and told me I could wait for papa there. She had said that papa was still in a meeting and will be with me shortly. I thanked her and she left.

 

I sank back on the couch. The furniture in here were made of faux leather. The couch I was sitting on was long enough to accommodate at least ten people. There was a coffee table in the middle of the room and some shelves on the corner and the wall behind the couch. There was also a LED TV on the wall facing the couch. I was tempted to turn the TV on. I grabbed the remote control and was about to press the power button, when the door opened. At first, I thought it was papa, so I sort of sounded careless when I spoke.

 

"Pa...I thought you would take long. Thank god you are here."

 

But instead of papa, a pair of arrogant eyes met mine. He raised an eyebrow and smirked, before he sat down at the other end of the couch.

 

Soo Taeyong. The boss's son.

 

"You? What are you doing here?"

 

Yeah. That was me and I was a bit rude. Because I didn't like him.

 

"I don't know. Appa just called for me. This is our building, anyway. You? What are you doing here?"

 

I was dumbfounded. I had no idea what I was doing there, as well. I decided not to answer his question and say the very thing I wanted to say, instead.

 

Me: I don't like you.

Him: Same here.

 

And he gave a slight bow, smirked and reclined on the couch with his eyes closed.

 

Arrogant piece of asdfdgfgdhgfhjgfhjlfgjslkjfs! May the bookshelves fall on your face!

 

 



 

I cannot say much about this chapter because it will give away what I have planned. Huehuehue. My inspiration for this chapter is this ever cute photo of Kookie. >.<   

 As usual, spreading these → ♥♥♥ 吳愛你們!我愛你們!Thank you for subscribing and of course, your comments. They  mean a lot to me.