Back to School

Th13teen

 

 

The next Monday was back to school. Fengtai International School has lifted the suspension and resumed regular classes.

 

However, FIS exuded an air of weirdness.

 

Four blocks within the school area had checkpoints. All roads leading to the school were being closely monitored. FIS gates, senior campus, middle school and primary school had "MIB" stationed outside. When we entered the campus in Luhan's car, these MIB's had to inspect everything, except let us out of the car, of course.

 

Weird.

 

Anyway, the Kims and Mins have returned from Korea and Hong Kong, respectively. The Kims' bodyguard was still present. He had to drive his wards to school and picked them up in the afternoon. The school didn't allow them to stay inside the campus for longer than necessary. Yoongi's car had been recovered when Da Dong Li was found. But Mr. Min didn't allow him to drive to school yet. He had the car checked for possible bugs or trackers. He had hired a driver for the Min boys as well. I was kind of glad that papa had not resorted to that yet. Luhan, Xiumin, Kris, Suho and Lay were still allowed to drive their cars to school, but with extra caution. It was only Baek who was not allowed to drive alone. When he asked papa if he could use the Sienna for skateboard practice, papa refused. He assigned Lay to come back and pick up the boys from practice.

 

FISSkT had to have rigorous practice drills this week since they'd have their final elimination on Friday. The school had assigned a committe handling security for the students, especially for the sports team practices every after classes. These practices were closely monitored by the security committee.

 

Kris had another game Wednesday.

 

Luhan and Xiumin's soccer match had been re-scheduled from the previous Saturday to the next Saturday.

 

And speaking of Saturday, FIS administration announced that it was Family Day on Saturday. So the whole school was in a buzz from Monday to Friday. Seniors and juniors had put up booths in their campus, mostly activity booths and souvenir stuff. Middleschool and primary booths were mostly food and drinks. The school organizations also were going to hold crash courses in each area of expertise. Suho and the rest of his theater arts group were going to conduct a crash course in acting. Baek and Tao's martial arts team were going to teach basic defense workshop.

 

Usually, it would just be Luhan, Xiumin and Kris who'd assume the post as "parents" during family day, but this time, papa and mama promised they'd take part. It also looked like Kim Jaejoong and his wife would be gracing the event. Min Kyung-hoon and his doctor wife would also be attending. Mr. Min had flewn from Hong Kong, that Tuesday, back to Beijing to be with his family.

 

Thursday morning, papa announced that he would be going to Hong Kong on a one day trip with Mr. Min. The boss had asked them to work on something before they took their leave off work for the rest of the week. It looked like another family day with just Luhan and the rest of the oldies. Mama was busy with her med school and was almost always on call this week. She just came home to sleep, take a bath and change clothes, then she was off again.

 

The Min Kids were a little bummed as well, since they knew their eomma won't be able to do much activity in school for the family day because of her condition. Taehyung had said that his mom had been craving all sorts of food already. They each have been given tasks by their appa to make their mom comfortable as he went back to Hong Kong with papa. Yoongi didn't drive his car to school again. Their hired driver dropped them off school that morning and would just come back later that afternoon to pick them up.

 

The Kims had the same fate as the Mins, in the sense that Jin was not allowed to drive his car. Their driver-bodyguard dropped them off outside the school gate that morning. J, Jimin and Jungkook got out of the car and went through the gates. Jin had classes in the senior campus just like Suho and Lay.

 

The boys who had skateboard practice would have to stay for a little bit. This Friday, they would need at least three people to get in the final eliminations before the championship.

 

Anyway, because there wasn't any homework from the past week, most of the teachers just reviewed the lessons given to us from the homeschool week. Everyone was excited for the family day activities that weekend, so the teachers were lenient enough not to give us any homework for the next week either. Hehehe. However, they all assigned us tasks to do at the family day. It would serve as our project for the week.

 

Yue and I called up Ling Yan and Shanna to make sure our food stall was going to be a hit. We'd get plus points for our economics and social studies classes if we did good. Our classmates promised to help put up the booth. The other 1th grade classes had put up their own food and drink booths at the designated area of the school.

 

Thursday afternoon after class, the four of us and our classmates decide to stay for a bit to start putting up our booth. The boys in our class had been able to borrow a food stall and they had set it up near the walkway going to the field. It was a strategic place for most people would be expected to pass by here, therefore getting more customers for our stall.

 

They repainted the stall a bright green and red. Come Saturday, we'd all be taking turns manning the booth. We all agreed on selling burgers and hot buns. There was one whose family owned a food cart business, and she promised to ask her parents for some recipes and get some help from an employee. Luhan had to look for me after class, because they were already waiting for me at the parking lot. I had forgotten to tell him I'd be helping out with our booth. When he found me, he looked relieved and told me to get my things for we were going home. I went back to my locker to get my stuff and followed Luhan to the parking lot.

 

Kris would be the one waiting for the boys who had skateboard practice because he didn't have any basketball practice anymore. Their game the day before was the last one for the month. They won of course. But with just two points. Tough game, that was. He was almost about to surrender and punch one of the other team's players. LOL.

 

Papa had dismissed the three oldies from their office work. He said they had done well and need not come in anymore. The oldies were happy about it. They didn't have to skip practices because they had to go to work. Papa must have seen them struggling to balance their school work and office work. Especially now that they were preparing to go to London to set up their living quarters and their university applications. They would be leaving in a week's time. Papa had confirmed it that Thursday night when he arrived from work.

 

Papa was going to Hong Kong Friday morning with Mr. Min, and he had said he'd just be staying for a day there and will be going home that same evening. We didn't really expect him to be home on Saturday to attend the family day activities, but we hoped nevertheless.

 

Another unexpected news that evening was the boss inviting us again for dinner. Us, meaning, papa and me. But since papa was going on a Hong Kong trip, he had appointed Luhan to go with me. I wished nothing bad would happen again. That last time was a disaster. Even if it ended well with me and Taeyong, he and his appa didn't really end up resolving their issues.

 

Friday evening dinner. That meant I wouldn't be able to watch and support my brothers in their final skateboard eliminations again.

 

Bummer.

 

I just hoped that the boss won't have to invite me again during the championships. Urghhh. I really wanted to punch Mr. Soo Kui in the face. I had to save my energy for that day when I had enough courage to punch him...and papa.

 

Before going to sleep, I sent a text message to Taeyong, telling him that he needed to behave the next day. He replied to my text, saying he didn't need to follow my advice. He'd be doing whatever he wanted to do, and that was, be himself.

 

Tsk. Brat. Indeed.

 

I hesitated for a while before I sent a text to Jungkook telling him of the dinner invitation. I knew it wasn't a good idea, but it wouldn't be nice if he knew from another source again. The two had an obvious hatred of each other. I told him not because I was igniting the hate more, but because I just wanted him to know that as part of the deal with the boss, I had to go and be the nice dinner guest. I haven't decided who I'd choose between them, anyway.

 

Jungkook replied after an hour. I was already asleep that time and just placed my phone beside me on the pillow. I was startled when my phone beeped and vibrated beside my ear. He only had a short reply. "Really? Okay, then. Hope you (not him) enjoy dinner. And don't go after him in case he runs away again. Something might happen to you."

 

I just sent him a smiley face as a reply and went back to sleep.

 

 


 

The next day, Friday, everyone was in a hustle and bustle around the house. Papa had gone to the airport with Mr. Min and mama was preparing a large bag where she placed some change of clothes and her paperwork for med school. She didn't bother to scold the younger boys and me when we refused to follow Luhan's instruction.

 

Luhan: It's almost seven! Ppal-li, ppal-li! I'm not going to wait for you if you don't move your butts faster. Tao,why aren't you in your uniform yet? Sehun? Sehun? Wu Shi Xun? Ni zai nali-ah? Xiao Yi, don't put your bag on top of the table, bring it to the car instead.

 

Kris and Xiumin were silent. They let Luhan do the talking. Suho was the one showing signs of secondhand irritation. It looked like he was morphing into Luhan the second. I slowly took my bag and placed it on the floor, then finished breakfast. Tao just dawdled and stared at his hot choco, not touching it. He clearly wasn't listening to Luhan. He hadn't changed into his school uniform. He had taken a bath, yes, but was still in his tees and shorts. Sehun was missing on the breakfast table. He was still in the bathroom. Baek had just come down and sat at the table to eat. Chen was already done with breakfast and was brushing his teeth, while Chanyeol was gulping his hot choco by the sink, beside Chen. Kyungsoo and Kai were bickering, because Kai had eaten Kyungie's mango slices. The owl oppa was livid. He had saved the last three mangoes in the fridge for his breakfast today and Kai had to eat them all. We hadn't gone to do groceries yet since the kidnapping incidents, so food supply was running low. Papa had not given the go signal for the oldies to go shopping, but mama hinted that it was time someone went to go grocery shopping. It was either going to be Kris or Xiumin to do shopping, because the younger boys were not allowed to go out alone, not that they went grocery shopping alone before. Well, except Baek and Kyungsoo. Lay was in his own world, just like Tao. But unlike the panda gege, Lay was smiling to himself as he buttered his toast and hummed a song. It was like he was living in an alternate world where pain and suffering didn't exist.

 

Luhan: I can't believe you guys. But I'm not kidding, either. I'm not going to wait for you. If you're not ready by seven, I'm gonna go ahead.

 

I knew he meant us, the youngest ones. He was the one supposed to drive us to school. I also knew that he knew that we could ride with the other oldies. But we also knew that he knew that papa specifically assigned Luhan to take responsibility for the four of us; Tao, Kai, Sehun and I.

 

Sehun appeared at the breakfast table fumbling with his shirt. His school jacket draped on one arm. He had hastily buttoned his shirt that one of them was in the wrong buttonhole and he was fumbling with the others to put them in the correct holes.

 

Mama didn't wait for us to finish breakfast. She just reminded the oldies to take care and have a good day at school. She just blew a kiss as she hurried out the door.

 

Sehun: Mama's become so busy now. *sigh*

Tao: I know right.

Sehun: We aren't going to see her as much as we would like to.

Tao: Just like papa.

Sehun: So much for expecting them to be at the family day tomorrow.

Luhan: We'll get by, you know that. It's not as if it's the first time it's happened.

Sehun: But, I was hoping they'd be able to come this year.

Suho: We should understand that they are busy and they are doing their best for us.

Luhan: Exactly.

Tao: But they're always busy.

Sehun: I just hope papa won't go back on his promise about the skateboarding finals.

 

And with that, he finished his breakfast hastily. Tao ran upstairs to change to his uniform and threw his backpack from the stairs to the floor.

 

Suho: For heaven's sake! Zitao! You could have hit someone with it!

Tao: *shrugs* No one was there.

Suho: Even so.

Tao: Relax gege.

 

And he winked at Suho as he went down the stairs. He had carried his shoes downstairs and put them on after sitting down at the nearest chair. He then got up and picked up his bag from the floor and went outside. He hummed something that sounded like Michael Jackson's Black or White.

 

Suho: Did you even brush your teeth?

Tao: Yes! Upstairs!

 

I chuckled. Suho looked at me and I kept quiet. I kind of had the feeling that he would be as cranky as Luhan when it was his turn as the da ge.

 

After everyone finished breakfast and brushing our teeth, we trooped outside and waited as the oldies got in the cars and filed outside the gate. The four of us youngest kids went to ride with Luhan. Kris, Chanyeol and Baek in one car, Kyungsoo preferred to ride with Lay instead of Suho, because Chen was in Suho's car. Xiumin was alone in his car, but he led the convoy to school.

 

That morning, we had surprise quizzes on each subject. Just to test if we were listening and studied the lesson from the past days. I was glad I still remembered my lessons, because I didn't study the night before. LOL.

 

At lunchtime, I went to sit with my friends. Most of the boys had gone to sit with their friends as well, discussing their plans for the family day the next day. The skateboard team sat with each other. They had their final eliminations that evening.

 

I saw Taehyung and his Namjoon hyung laughing at something that J had said. The latter had been animatedly telling a story of some sort and since the two Mins were seated near him, they were laughing the loudest. Jimin had been turning his head every now and then to our table. He was not, I repeat, not subtly eye-flirting with Yue. My friends were poking Yue and teasing her about Jimin. Taehyung was facing us and he saw that Jimin was looking at Yue. He said something that made all the other boys turn their heads and look at us. That included Jungkook, who was beside Sehun.

 

I looked away abruptly. Ling Yan smiled a knowing smile and pointed with . I didn't dare look at where she was pointing at. I suddenly got conscious. I shifted in my seat and started picking my food with the fork. Shanna went into a dreamy state and mumbled about how handsome Sehun was. I wanted to agree with her because she was complimenting my brother, but nothing came out of my mouth. I only could just nod. Yue suddenly froze from her seat and looked ahead. Ling Yan smiled widely.

 

"Jimin is coming over."

 

*Deep breath*

 

Just Jimin?

 

I questioned her with my eyes. She winked at me. I didn't wanna turn around to check. The someone cleared his throat behind us.

 

"Mind if I join you?"

 

Yeah. That was Kim Jimin, indeed. But he said "I" only and not "we," so I was safe.

 

Safe.

 

Yeah right.

 

Ling Yan was the one who nodded and said, "Have a seat."

 

Jimin sat on one of the empty chairs, facing us. Shanna, Ling Yan and him were seated opposite us. There was still one empty seat beside me, but I guessed he wanted to see Yue face to face, so he sat opposite her.

 

Yue had to hide her face behind me and squeal a little. I could understand her nervousness. It was like that whenever Jungkook was near.

 

Jimin: How are you today?

Ling Yan: Oh, we are fine. Fine. Yes...

Jimin: That's good to hear. Yue?

Yue: Uhm...I'm good.

Jimin: Ting haoting de.

Ling Yan: Your Chinese is improving, ah.

Jimin: Xiexie le.

Shanna: I heard you went back to Korea last week.

Jimin: Yes, we did. Just a precaution that appa made.

Shanna: That was wise of your dad, actually.

Jimin: Jinjja? I mean...Zhen de?

Shanna: Hahaha. That was cool. I know "jinjja" now. And yes, really.

Jimin: How was your holiday week?

Me: Boring.

Jimin: Even with skype?

Me: Shut up.

Jimin: Hmm?

 

He was giggling. Obviously, he knew his brother's agenda. He knew I skyped with Jungkook.

 

Grrrr...

 

Ling Yan: Skype?

Jimin: Yes, skype.

Ling Yan: Xiao Yi and Jungkook?

Jimin: Bingo!

Ling Yan: How come I didn't know that?

Me: Shhhhh....

Shanna: Speaking of Jungkook...

Me: What?

Jimin: Ah, nothing. Anyway, will you watch our final eliminations later?

Me: I can't.

Jimin: Oh. Does he know?

Me: Who?

Jimin: My saengie.

Me: Yes.

Jimin: Ahhh..that's why he...was cranky. Hahaha.

 

"Who's cranky?"

 

I knew that voice.

 

Damn well.

 

And the owner of the voice sat down on the empty chair beside me.

 

I dropped my gaze and glanced at the person beside me. Yup. It was him. He had rolled up his jackey sleeves up and he put his canned soda on the table.

 

Jimin: You are cranky, Kookie.

JK: Shut up hyung. *laughs*

Ling Yan: That doesn't sound like cranky to me.

Jimin: Oh, not now. You know why?

Ling Yan: Let me guess.

Shanna: It's not hard to guess.

JK: Yeoreobun, watch our final eliminations later juseyo.

Ling Yan: I only understood watch your final eliminations.

JK: I can teach you Korean.

Ling Yan: How do you say, thank you?

JK: Kamsahamnida. Or you can say kamsa, if it's just between peers or friends.

Ling Yan: Ah. Kamsa, Jungkook-ah.

Jimin: You sound funny, Yan-yan.

Me: She's always funny.

JK: You're funny too.

Ling Yan: I see fireworks.

Me: Where?

Ling Yan: Look to your right.

 

Of course, if I looked to my right, I'd see Jungkook. I glanced at him once and faced front again. He was chuckling. He was playing with the soda can in front of him.

 

Me: Doesn't look like a firework to me.

Shanna: Mind looking one more time? I'm sure I saw it too.

Jimin: I saw it too. And I see one in front of me right now, as well.

 

Yue blushed and she dropped her gaze. I counted to five before I looked to my right again. As I turned my head, Jimin made a popping noise, some fizzles and snickered. Jungkook broke into a wide grin, chuckled and flicked a rolled tissue paper at his hyung.

 

JK: You are pabo, hyung.

Jimin: Ah, kamsa. I know you appreciate my help.

JK: Mind your own business, hyung.

Jimin: Neh? Okay.

 

And he faced Yue. He smiled and broke into a laugh. He scolded his brother when Jungkook made the same popping noise.

 

Jimin: Shut up.

JK: I'm not even noisy.

 

And he acted as if to zip his mouth. But his eyes were still teasing. Ling Yan and Shanna watched Jimin try to convince Yue to go and watch the eliminations that afternoon. Yue seemed to have lost consciousness, because she was not moving beside me. If not for her breathing, I would have sworn she had died already.

 

"Uhm...what I said on my text reply last night...uhm...you know. "

 

I turned to look at him. He was drumming his fingers on the table now. His other hand gripped the soda can. He was not looking at me, but at the table.

 

Me: Which one?

 

I played the part of the amnesia patient.

 

OTL.

 

JK: About not running after him, in case he ran away again.

Me: Oh. That.

JK: Hmm...

Me: Well...

JK: Promise me.

Me: I won't be stupid.

JK: Not enough.

Me: Haoba. Wo fashi...

JK: Hao.

 

And he brought the soda can to his mouth to drink. My eyes seemed to have followed the soda can as his lips touched it.

 

Not good, Xiao Yi.

 

But he looked so divine.

 

And then I was reminded of Taeyong's lips, too.

 

I hit my head with the heel of my palm. The others looked at me in curiousity.

 

Me: I...forgot something...

Shanna: Holy crap! We need to go! Schedules will be given for the booth tomorrow.

Me: Yeah, that's it.

Ling Yan: Uh...it's still thirty minutes more?

Shanna: It is?

Ling Yan: Yes, it is.

Me: Better early, you know.

Yue: Don't worry about it. I already told that Lam guy to put us in one schedule.

Ling Yan: You did? I love you, hun.

Yue: It's wise to think ahead.

Jimin: Very wise.

Yue: Thanks.

Jimin: Anytime.

 

A hand suddenly went to rest on my shoulder. I looked up and saw Chanyeol. The other boys had gotten up from the other table and were now crowding around us.

 

Chanyeol: Invited them all, Chimchim?

Jimin: Yeah. Except your sister.

Chanyeol: Ah, of course. She can't come later.

Ling Yan: We'll go watch and support FISSkT, oppa.

J: It's cute. Oppa, oppa.

Jimin: You're cute too, oppa.

J: Shut up ahjumma.

Namjoon: If there's an ahjumma, it's you Hoseokkie.

J: You're confident only because your name is Namja.

Namjoon: Namjoon orz, Namjoon.

J: Namja.

Baek: Shhhh.. Let's go. It's almost time for class again.

 

 


 

 

After class, I waited by the lobby for Luhan. Tao, Kyungsoo and Chen went down from their last class and waited with me. Actually, they were only there to accompany me while waiting for Luhan. They were going to watch the eliminations later. Baek, Chanyeol, Kai and Sehun had also come down and went to sit by us.

 

We sat on the bench along the hall. Some students were also there waiting for friends or siblings.

 

Jimin and Taehyung followed Tao down and waited for Jungkook, J and Namjoon. The rest of the school were either busy for the family day the next day or excited about the outcome for the final elimination of the skateboard competition.

 

Luhan arrived a few minutes later. He didn't get out his car, he just rolled the window down and gestured to me. I wished the boys the best of luck and a "Jiayou!" to all of them. They thanked me and wished me well too. Although, Chanyeol looked a bit worried. They all knew what had happened already. They just didn't tell papa and mama. I wasn't sure though if the boss had mentioned it to papa. I had hoped not. But it looked like he didn't, because papa didn't scold me about it.

 

I turned to look at Jungkook before I walked towards Luhan's car. He smiled. I smiled back and wished him luck as well. He just raised an arm and showed me his wrist wearing the bracelet I gave him. I held the puppy pendant on my neck and I guess he understood. He saw I was also wearing the bracelet he gave me.

 

Then I walked to Luhan's car. I threw my backpack at the backseat and climbed in the passenger seat.

 

Luhan: We're dropping by Elle's.

Me: Why?

Luhan: Mama asked me to pick up the dress she wants you to wear for dinner tonight.

Me: She didn't have to.

Luhan: You know mama. Just wants to make sure we are presentable.

Me: I still have dresses I haven't worn.

Luhan: But she specifically told me to have you wear it. How're your classes today?

Me: They're okay.

Luhan: Hmmm? I hear you had a quiz?

Me: Who told you?

Luhan: How did you do on that quiz?

Me: I did well. Actually, it wasn't just one subject.

Luhan: And?

Me: I passed all.

Luhan: Good. Now, I want you to promise me not to do anything stupid again, or I won't be able to cover up for you.

Me: I promise.

Luhan: It's only for an hour or two. I promised papa to take care of you while we are there.

Me: I understand, Lu ge.

Luhan: Ahh..why did papa have to travel all of a sudden?

 

 



Dinner with Taeyong's family again. And I think I could do a double update ^_^  You will meet someone important in the next chapter.