Securing My Future?

Th13teen

 

I really wanted to have the bookshelves fall on him with all the books that were on it, mind you. That was how much I hated his guts. I stared at his closed eyes figure with an open mouth because of disbelief. Okay, I could take him not liking me, but the way he said it... Oh my god! I slammed my backpack on the couch and loudly ped the front pocket so I could take out my iPod. He opened his eyes and jerked as he felt the force my backpack made when it hit the couch. I smirked as he shook his head. He went back to leaning back and closing his eyes. I plugged in my headphones and set the music to shuffle.

 

The door opened slowly. I had learned my lesson. I didn't say anything before I knew who was it who opened the door. I held my headphones to my ear as I looked up and to the door. Jungkook's confused face appeared. He looked around when he stepped inside. He closed the door slowly and tried to understand what was going on. He saw me sitting on one end of the couch, Taeyong on the other end near the door, with my backpack in the middle.

 

What was he doing here?

 

I looked at him and he looked at me for a couple of minutes. Then his eyes fell on Taeyong again. I didn't speak, and he didn't say anything. He went to occupy one of the armchairs near the corner of the room. He had dragged his backpack as he walked over to the corner. It was weird. Not talking to him. Taeyong had opened his eyes when Jungkook came in. He looked at Jungkook like he was an intruder. When Jungkook had seated himself and leaned back on the chair, the boss' son spoke to him.

 

Taeyong: You're from Korea, right?

JK: Yes.

Taeyong: Your appa works for my appa.

JK: Yes.

Taeyong: Were you called to come too?

JK: Yes.

Taeyong: I've seen you in Japan, too.

JK: I haven't seen you anywhere. But yeah, we spent several vacations in Japan.

Taeyong: Oh? I usually spend it in the UK aside from Japan.

JK: Who's asking?

 

The air seemed like it was pure male hormones spreading. I needed to get out of the room if I could. But I knew I couldn't. If these two would start killing each other, I'd have to get out from this alive. I quickly searched for a closed circuit tv camera... I found it. Just on top of the door. Ah... So it was safe. They would have caught the crime on camera. And by the way, I was not expecting Jungkook to be so...obnoxious. I was like..what? Come again? I could sense their dislike for each other.

 

But before anyone died, the door opened again. This time, it was one of the office staff that came in. She asked us to please follow her, so we got up and gathered our stuff...well, me and Jungkook at least. Taeyong didn't have any stuff with him, except maybe his phone which was in his pocket. The lady led us into a long hall and through double doors. Then she pressed a button on a keypad just outside a door. Probably a conference room, because the doors looked like it was one of those doors you see in movies that led to a large conference room or hall. And I was not mistaken. When the door opened, she led us inside and ushered us to seats. I chose one that was near the door, but she told me to sit on the third one. She made Taeyong sit on the chair near the door and the second to Jungkook.

 

When we were seated, she told us to wait and she closed the door after her. Jungkook turned his head around to look at me.

 

JK: Do you have any idea what we are doing here?

Me: Huh?

JK: Uhm...

Me: Oh, no...I...don't.

JK: Just after you and Lay hyung left, papa called Jin hyung and he was asked to bring me here.

Me: Hmm...something's up.

JK: Yeah...

Taeyong: *clears throat*

 

He was making known his presence. I felt like he wanted to be included in the conversation but I didn't oblige. Jungkook ignored him as well. I wanted to smirk at him that moment, but Jungkook might think I was smirking at him instead of the boss' son. But if he was arrogant, I can be little Setan...as in Sehun + Satan. I was not proud of it, but if my patience is tried, I go all Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.

 

Anyway, Jungkook and I didn't exchange any more words after that. The situation seemed too good to be true. What were we doing here? Why us three? Then the door opened again and in came Mr. Soo Kui, papa and Mr. Kim. I took a deep breath. I saw Jungkook took a deep breath and dropped his gaze. Taeyong did the same.

 

Oh...getting meek in front of appa, huh? No more Mr. Arrogant if appa is around?

 

I sat up straight and placed my hands on the table, waiting for whatever was coming. The three elder men sat across us. No one sat at the head of the table. Okay. This was not a business meeting. So, what was this? Papa looked at me and it seemed like he was thinking of something. He smiled at me and I smiled at him.

 

Everything's going to be okay, right papa?

 

Mr. Soo Kui cleared his throat before he started speaking.

 

Okay. Here goes nothing...

 

Mr. SK: Good evening kids.

 

We had gotten up and bowed to the three of them in respect.

 

Mr. SK: This might come as a surprise to you because of such a short notice, but we just want the best for you. Firstly, I would like to say that I...and your parents here...except Taeyong...because you are my son, have actually discussed this for quite a long time already and just have come to a decision.

 

It felt like I was a criminal on court and he was about to read my sentence.

 

Mr. SK: Secondly, you might ask why we particulary called for you three. We originally thought of Seul Gi, my daughter, Luhan and Jin. But my daughter is...well, let's just say, she's already spoken for. I respect my daughter's decision and will not impose my authority on her by breaking her commitment to someone just so I can make that decision for her.

 

Oh god. I knew where this was going to. I started to sweat. If not for the excellent airconditioning of the room, I would have already drowned in my sweat. I could only steal a glance at Jungkook and Taeyong. They were both listening intently and nodding to every word that was said. Wait. They sort of didn't even look like they were being pressured or something. This is not fair. Can I just press pause for a while? But no, I could not. The boss had continued with what he was saying.

 

Mr. SK: And in lieu of that, I have talked to Wu Zun here *glance at papa who nodded* about considering to mutually agree to have my son, Taeyong, and Yinzi to be wedded in the future. Securing your futures and the company's, of course.

 

Like a betrothal.

 

Andwaeeeeeeeeyooooooo!

 

I turned red at that instant. My head automaticall turned my head to look at Taeyong and rolled my eyes. He was looking at me too. But instead of a smirk, he gave me a winning smile. Oh the hell... Excuse my language.

 

Mr. SK: However, it is most unfortunate that Wu Zun broke the news to me that he and Kim Jeon-won had already discussed this and agreed to have you, Yinzi be promised to Jungkook, in the future.

 

Wait. What?

 

Did I hear you right, Mr. Soo Kui?

 

I suddenly felt cold inside. Jungkook was seated beside me and I couldn't look at him. I felt his gaze on my face when the words "promised...in the future" were said. So...uhm...it was official. But wait. What were we doing here with Taeyong and his appa? If we were...if we....if we....

 

Mr. Soo Kui: The reason why we called you three is because I have a suggestion. I am not breaking the agreement between your fathers, Yinzi...Jungkook... I am merely going to suggest something.

 

He had paused. I guess he wanted to hear what we had in mind. But not one of us spoke, so he continued with the suggestion he had in mind. He turned to look at me.

 

Mr. SK: I would like you to give a chance to my son, Taeyong. My family's here until the last week of January. I'd really like to see him be with a girl from a family that I could trust. Among my associates, your papa is one of the closest friends I have and knowing him, I would not be disappointed to have you as my future daughter in law. However, taking everything into consideration and before I consider other girls for my son, could you try getting to know him and make a decision before they return to Korea?

 

I wanted to faint right there and then. I was tongue-tied. This was too much. What was happening. It seemed like the world was spinning around me. I gripped the edge of the table and closed my eyes. I couldn't look at papa. I knew he only meant what was best for me...and by that, I meant him pomising me to Jungkook. I guess out of respect, papa agreed to give the boss' son a...chance?

 

So, that meant I was given the right to choose who I wanted to be with...between them? Why wasn't I briefed about this earlier? I think I needed more than just five minutes to prepare for this. Can I say no and decide right then that I choose Jungkook? Or can I say that I don't prefer any one of them?

 

Me: Yes, I will consider it, sir.

 

What? Wait. Where did that come from? Did I just agree to that? No way!

 

Yes way.

 

Geez.

 

Die with me when I get home. I swear I would die. I wanted to bang my head on the table, but if I did, they probably would be bringing me straight to the mental hospital. Nah-uh. I ain't going anywhere.

 

Mr. SK: Thank you, Yinzi. I'll send for him to your house a few days from now. A chaperone would not be needed. It would only make the situation awkward, ne? *chuckles* Taeyong...

 

Taeyong: Appa..

Mr. SK: Be on your best behavior and be a gentleman.

Taeyong: Ne, appa. Arasseoyo.

Mr. SK: Jungkook...

JK: Seonsaengnim..

Mr. SK: Please do not take this against me. Your appa already agreed to this.

JK: Arasseoyo, seonsaengnim.

Mr. SK: Then, may the best man win.

 

May the heavens fall down on me. May the best man marry the maid of honor. Ha. Ha. Ha. Ha. Ha. Ha.

 

I literally banged my head on the table this time. I heard Jungkook let out a faint chuckle. Papa called my attention and I quickly sat up straight and bowed slightly in apology. He looked torn between being happy and being mad at me. Yeah, papa. Be happy that your Xiao Yi had agreed to this...whatever this was called. And yeah, papa. Be mad that your Xiao Yi just banged her head on the table in front of your boss....and to her...uh...future...husband.

 

 

AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

 

 

Why me?

 

 


 

The ride home with papa was silent. I couldn't say anything to him or he to me. He had the radio and tuned in to a classical music station. The music just made everything worse, actually. I couldn't relax. What happened back there meant that my future was already decided for me. I mean, it didn't really matter whoever I chose. I would end up with either Jungkook or Taeyong. Just that. Not so much thrill, right?

 

But just thinking of getting married to Jungkook was...*silent scream* Papa should have thought his daughter had gone bonkers when I banged my head on the table. But hey, can't blame me. You just don't go around calling your son to bring your daughter to your office and let your boss tell her that she was being considered to be his son's future wife and that to make her decide between his son and your father's choice of a husband for you. That's just too much to handle, right? I mean, am I even making sense? This called for drastic measures. I'm stowing away tonight and going somewhere they won't find me. Okay. I am being irrational. No, I am not going anywhere. Now I sort of feel the pressure Luhan ge was experiencing everytime papa expects something from him. Although, Luhan had not been put in this situation...yet. Actually, if Seul Gi was not committed to someone already, she and Luhan would have been there in my place.. And Jin, instead of Jungkook.

 

Why did Seul Gi have to have a boyfriend?

 

Life was unfair.

 

And fair.

 

To be honest, I should look at it as me being lucky. Here I was been considered to be the lifetime partner of the boss for his son. Even if his son was so arrogant and full of himself.

 

Grrrrr.....

 

To be with Taeyong for the rest of my life. Never. No. I just can't. Not with that asdfdashfdshaksjfhk piece of Gangnam royalty. Well, Jungkook lived in the Gangnam District in Korea before they moved here. Rich kids. I was rich, too. I think I can live without rich men.

 

Wait.

 

Papa had switched the station to a music countdown one. I tried to listen to the music they played. I looked outside. We were nearing the street where papa would make a left and on towards our house. Well, the temporary house at least.

 

As papa drove, I was thinking of ways on how I can escape to my room and stay there for the rest of my life.

 

The familiar street came into view. Then the familiar driveway. We were home. Papa honked three times. A minute later, the gate was opened and papa drove through and parked the car outside the garage. I got out of the car and pulled out my backpack from the floor. I didn't wait for papa to tell me to go inside, because I ran inside the house. Mama was waiting by the door and I hugged her tight before I hurriedly walked towards the stairs. I heard mama ask papa, as he entered the house.

 

Mama: How did she take it?

Papa: To be honest? I don't know.

Mama: You shouldn't have.

Papa: But I did.

Mama: You really had to do that?

Papa: Yes.

 

I didn't hear anymore, because I was already on my way upstairs. I met Sehun who was going down the stairs with a towel in hand. He greeted me and I just grunted and continued up. I bet he was confused of my attitude towards him. I actually didn't notice who were downstairs because I was in a hurry to escape to my room.

 

I got in my room and closed it. I threw my bag on the floor and went to hide myself under the blankets. I had to cry as well. I didn't know what to feel. But I was expected to follow what papa said. Parents know best for their children. Lu ge always followed papa and papa was proud of him. Xiumin also followed papa and he was trusted in return. Kris followed papa and in turn, papa gives him what he wants aside from his needs. Suho follows papa and papa trusts him as much as he trusts Luhan. If I followed papa, I was sure he would be proud of me and would trust me with anything. I should not disappoint papa. Even if it hurt a lot right now. Somehow, someday, everything will make sense and everything will fall right into place.

 

Beep! Beep!

 

A message. I poked my head out the covers and crawled to get my phone from my bag. When I got it, I covered myself again with the blankets and hugged a pillow. I checked the message.

 

"Are you okay?"

 

It was Jungkook.

 

My heart skipped a beat as I read his message. It was just a simple question, but I could sense his sincere concern. I stared at his message and at the sender's name for a couple of minutes before I replied.

 

"Yes. I'm okay. Sort of. Are you okay?"

 

I had to ask him too. I knew he was also in shock, just like me. Although, his shock may not be as extreme as mine.

 

"I'm okay. I wish I could do something to make it easier for you."

 

My heart was not okay. It melted. Tears were still falling and I didn't even bother to wipe it. I left my tears to fall until there were none. I wanted to say something to him to assure him I was okay and that I would be able to handle this like a grownup, but because I was thinking a long time, I fell asleep. Without eating dinner. Anyway, I already ate during the mini celebration earlier, but I felt like everything got digested and used up during the "meeting" in papa's office.

 

I didn't lock my door, so mama was able to come in and wake me up to tell me I should eat. It was almost ten in the evening and everyone was noisy outside. So, nobody knew what happened yet? I envied Kai and Chen's laughter as I heard them ran up and down the stairs with Tao's angry shouts. I could also hear Luhan getting in the middle of the commotion and telling the three to go to bed if they didn't want to sleep outside. Mama sat by my bedside and gently shook me awake.

 

Mama: Xiao Yi, qin'ai. Wake up. You should at least eat.

Me: Mmm...

Mama: You didn't come down for dinner.

Me: We...we...ate pizza...

Mama: You need to eat more than just pizza. Come down with me. I prepared food for you.

Me: Can I not eat, ma?

Mama: I know what happened today. Dear, don't think about it too much. I don't want you to put so much attention into that.

Me: But papa...his boss...

Mama: Your papa only did it in respect to his boss. But you don't have to think about it too much.

Me: What if they ask me who I chose at the end of January?

Mama: You can say you haven't decided.

Me: But...

Mama: Not having to choose between them doesn't mean you're neglecting your duty. It would only mean that you are smart in thinking more about it than decide in just two months.

Me: Papa's boss...?

Mama: Well, you can tell him that you have until the time you reach your 17th birthday to officially decide.

Me: Papa will be disappointed.

Mama: Let your papa be disappointed, then. I don't even know what made him decide on this hastily. As the only girl in the family, don't pressure yourself into thinking that you have to conform to whatever is dictated by tradition.

Me: I'm scared to disappoint papa. It would be disrespectful.

Mama: Aish...the thing that you need to think about now is to eat your dinner. Then change to your sleep clothes. And tomorrow, your classes. Do you understand me? Just take everything in little steps. Don't rush.

Me: Okay.

Mama: Hmm..Just between us girls, who do you like best? Jungkook...or...Taeyong?

Me: Mamaaa...

Mama: I could tell you like Jungkook.

Me: Ishhhh...

Mama: You blushed when I mentioned his name.

Me: This is awkward...

 

Mama laughed at me. I knew she was just making me laugh. I finally wiped my...already dried tears and got up. Mama took my hand and I went with her downstairs to have my late dinner.

 

 


 

The next day dragged on. I deliberately avoided Jungkook. I wasn't ready to face him as...my...future husband? Gaaahhhh. Even if Taeyong was being considered, it didn't erase the fact that Jungkook was my... asdhfdskfhdsjfhdfdl... Don't make me say it.

 

Instead of actually speaking to him, I held the puppy pendant hanging on a silver necklace and resting on my chest. I spoke to it as if I was talking to him. But even then, there was no voice that came out.

 

Lunch had dragged on as well. I went to eat at the farthest table in the cafeteria. I didn't even eat with my brothers. I knew they sensed something was wrong, but they haven't gotten the chance to ask me about it. I also had the feeling that the three oldies already knew what was going on. Luhan had looked at me with concerned earlier in the morning when he drove us to school. He didn't ask me about it, though. He was probably just waiting for the right time and seeing that I looked like I was avoiding it, he didn't push his luck.

 

Sehun was about to ask me if there was something wrong, but Luhan was fast and told him to secure his iPod otherwise it will fall again and will be the cause that he trips on his way out the car.

 

After classes in the afternoon, the boys had to stay for practice and rehearsals. I didn't have any projects for the week, so I didn't have to stay behind. Lay and Suho still had homeroom meeting, so I couldn't go home yet. As usual, I went to the parking lot to sit on the hood of Lay ge's car.

 

Someone was waiting for me there.

 

No. It was not Jungkook.

 

Yes. It was Taeyong.

 

With his driver and car.

 

 

Taeyong: Appa wanted me to pick you up and get you home.

Me: Does my father know?

Taeyong: You can call him if you want.

Me: Yes or no?

Taeyong: He knows.

Me: Are you sure?

Taeyong: Didn't I tell you to call him if you want?

 

The nerve. Grrrrrrr!!! So, I was expected to ride with him home? Huh? What if I didn't want to?

 

FYI, if you want to be my future husband, you have to act like a real man, not someone who had batteries inserted in the brain and a power button by the bridge of the nose. I hope you don't lose your charger...or you will forever be useless.

 

I smirked at him and stood straight. I was thinking of calling papa to verify, so my hand automatically reached for my phone. Before I dialled papa's number, Jin had come and gotten into his car, followed by Jimin, Jungkook and J who dropped their things inside the car, after Jin unlocked it, except their skateboards.

 

Awkward.

 

Taeyong: Oh, so you do skateboarding too?

JK: You talking to me?

Taeyong: No. I was talking to...your brother.

JK: Then why are you looking at me?

Taeyong: Because...I...want to.

JK: You want to look at the one who is currently officially Xiao Yi's future-

Taeyong: Ah-ah...don't-

Me: Shut up, both of you.

Taeyong: So, you coming or not?

Me: Let me call papa first. Don't talk to me like that. You forget that I don't like you.

JK: Ahemm...*chuckles*

Taeyong: Fine. Call your papa.

 

And he went inside the car. I dialled papa's number and waited for him to answer.

 

JK: You better take care of her.

Taeyong: Of course. Wait for your turn.

JK: Sure. Anyway, yeah. I do skateboarding.

Taeyong: Care to do a one on one?

JK: Deal.

 

Damn you Soo Taeyong.

 

I had confirmed from papa that Taeyong was supposed to pick me up today and bring me home. I thanked papa and hung up.

 

Taeyong. He actually spoke a bit of Chinese, by the way.

 

Jungkook and his brothers left the parking lot, with J and Jimin chuckling on the way back to the skateboarding ramp. Ugh. I bet they already know the truth. Jin had gotten out of his car and said goodbye before he went back to his homeroom meeting with Suho and Lay.

 

Taeyong was short of being a gentleman. He remained seated in the car. He didn't even open the door for me. If there was no driver, I would have opened the car door by myself. But the driver opened the door for me and waited until I got on before he closed it and climbed in the driver's seat.

 

Both of us were seated at the back. I sat as far away from Taeyong as possible. He didn't mind it, though. He told me to tell the driver where our house was, so he could bring me there. I wished for a meteor drop from the sky that very moment and hit the car....especially his side. I wouldn't mind being hurt in the process as long as he got the major impact.

 

During the ride home, all he did was sing along to whatever it was that he was listening to on his iPod. I couldn't deny it though. He knew how to sing...and rap.

 

Damn you. I should not be praising you. Yeah, yeah. You have a good singing voice and you rap really well. But I'm not impressed. No way. No, no, no. Well, yeah. You are good. But it ends there. May you be into a supermassive blackhole and never return.

 

He was singing along to Muse's Supermassive Blackhole at that precise time, thus my reference to the song. Then he suddenly pulled his headphones off and turn to face me.

 

Taeyong: I know you like me.

Me: What?
Taeyong: Kidding.

Me: You are so...annoying.

Taeyong: Thank you.

Me: Are you always this annoying?

 

He gave me a really mockingly sweet smile, before he answered with a wink at the end.

 

Taeyong: Yes, I am.

 

 

Remind me to bang his head on a wall the first chance I get. Okay?

 

 

*mentally bangs my head on an imaginary wall, instead*

 



Surprise! Not. LOL. I bet most of you already knew what was going on. If you are disappointed about something, please don't hesitate to voice out your opinions. Hahah xD Anyway, still working on that "Bullies" chapter. Taking one step at a time. I'm fiah'd up with Taeyong feels. Hahaha. xP But I'm still a JungYi shipper. Hands down. I'd like to thank 2PM's "ELECTRICITY" ♫♪ Let me touch you..and give you electricity...♪♫ This is my Taeyong feel-good song. xD It just gives the bad boy vibe that is purely Taeyong's character. Okay, enough blabber. It's time for these → ♥♥♥ 吳愛你們!我愛你們!By they way,  两个人的荒岛 by S.H.E. is my Jungkook theme. Angsty, heart-wrenching sweet song. xD