Taeyong

Th13teen

 

"Uhm...it's kinda late...and..well, let's go to sleep. See you tomorrow. Goodnight."

 

I didn't really know how to change the topic, so I hastily said goodnight and hung up on him. I didn't even wait for him to say something. After I hung up the phone, he sent a text message wishing me goodnight. With three smiley faces. I just sent him a single smiley face. Nothing more, nothing less.

 

Awkward.

 

Monday morning was tensed. Well, for me at least. He sat on his usual seat, beside mine, when I arrived. I didn't look at him when I sat down. Taehyung who was seated behind me, moved his chair a little bit forward and cheered me up the whole period. Not that I needed cheering up, but I felt really awkward, so I gladly welcomed Taehyung's out of this world antics.

 

After class, it got more awkward when he followed me. I had to stop walking and ask him why he was following me. He muttered that I forgot to get my phone from him. I apologized and took out his phone as well. I handed it to him and he softly said his thank yous and gave mine in return.

 

Him: I didn't pry into your messages and stuff.

Me: It's okay.

Him: Uhm...mianhaeyo.

Me: No. Really. It's okay.

Him: Sure?

Me: Yes, sure.

Him: Thanks.

Me: You're welcome.

Him: Okay.

 

And he dropped his head. I started to walk away going to my next class. Then I turned around to say something. He was already walking the other way.

 

Guilty feelings.

 

Argghhhhh!

 

Me: Hey!

 

And he turned his head around.

 

Me: Wanna join us for lunch later?

Him: That'll be good. Thanks.

 

And he gave me that beautiful side smile and a thumbs up. Then he continued walking the other way. I sighed and felt bad. I felt as if I had hurt him in some way. I walked slowly to my next class and wished it was already lunch.

 

During lunch, he didn't really talk much. He only nodded and smiled when people addressed him. He gave one word answers to questions. His Jimin hyung also joined us at the table. Taehyung, Namjoon, J, Baek and Tao sat on another table. Jungkook sat on my left. He actually bought lunch for me. Chanyeol must have sensed something, so he went to sit on Jungkook's other side. That made him not speak the whole lunch time at all.

 

Kris ge had a basketball game that afternoon after school, so we promised to watch him play to support him and his team. The Kim and Min kids also promised to go and watch the game.

 

The game was held at YSI campus. We were given special passes to watch the match between our school and their school.

 

During the match, Jungkook passed a folded piece of paper to me and sort of stared at me as I read the message he wrote.

 

"I hope nothing changes with out friendship....after I told you I liked you."

 

Butterflies.

 

Birds.

 

Angels.

 

Helicopters.

 

Jetplanes.

 

All inside my stomach as I read it.

 

I took out a notepad and ripped a page off it and wrote my reply there. I didn't wanna return his note. It was mine. LOL. I made sure that the boys were not looking when I casually handed him the note. I was sitting next to him at the bleachers, by the way. I had to pass him the note from the side, so the boys won't see.

 

"Friends. :) "

 

I think that was enough for him to understand that I didn't think of his confession as something bad. I just felt awkward, that's it. He read the message and I saw him nod and smiled. I nodded at him too. He pocketed my note and stretched out his hands and pretended to have just been stretching the whole time. Chanyeol had turned his head at Jungkook and looked at him suspiciously. I had my eyes fixed out front and hoped Chanyeol didn't notice the exchange of notes earlier.

 

I was lucky, because he didn't.

 

Kris ge's team won. By just two points. But we were still happy of course. Our school's first win against the YSI basketball team in the last five years.

 

Back at home, we celebrated their win. Sohee joined us for dinner again. She was going back home Wednesday morning and we sort of gave her a going away dinner family party. Tuesday, we won't be seeing her, because she was going to prepare her stuff and she was going with Xiumin on a date in the evening.

 

Papa also had news that after his Korea trip, he'd go directly to Thailand to oversee the Phuket resort development. He was extra happy that evening, because the news program discarded the reports of papa having an affair with a mysterious woman. They showed footage of our family during our family outing at the country club with Sohee. The reporter didn't really know how Sohee was related to us because she didn't specify it in the news. She had deduced that Sohee was a family guest and left it at that. She focused more on the rumor that papa was going to open the Thailand resort just after ringing in the new year.

 

 


 

Wednesday early morning, papa and Sohee left for Korea. Xiumin and Luhan drove them to the airport. I had asked Xiumin to give Sohee a note I wrote for her. The other boys had given her notes and some little souvenirs as well. She had extended her thanks through Xiumin for welcoming her to the family.

 

Wednesday, Mr. Soo Kui arrives from Korea. He called up mama and requested for me to join his family for dinner that night. Mama could not go because of her med school schedule, so she asked Luhan to go on her behalf. The boss understood the situation and welcomed Luhan to be my companion for dinner.

 

The boss obviously wanted to know the progress between Taeyong and I.

 

The boys had skateboard eliminations that afternoon, so I was not able to watch them. I just wished them luck and went home with Luhan after he picked me up from school. He also excused himself from soccer practice that day. The boys looked sullen but wished me good luck as well. I told them that they needed more of the luck than me.

 

It was a bit early to go to the hotel where dinner would be, so I tried to calm my nerves by watching blood and gore movies.

 

Mr. Soo Kui owned the hotel, and it was where he and his family resided when they were in Beijing. The hotel had an inhouse restaurant and he had booked a private room for our dinner. Mama called Luhan before we went to the hotel and told him what was expected of him while he was there as my chaperone. Mama had said that he was expected to do as papa would, because he was the representative of both papa and mama.

 

That meant, Luhan had the right to save me in case I needed to be saved.

 

Dinner was set at six thirty. We had to be punctual, so we were at the hotel six fifteen. Luhan had taken a shorter route so we'd avoid traffic. Valet parking was great...maybe because the boss had instructed them to attend to us right away.

 

I walked behind Luhan when we stepped in the hotel. He went to the conceirge and informed them that the boss were expecting us. The lady at the front desk called for a uniformed young man to usher us to the restaurant.

 

Luhan took my hand and we walked together, behind the staff.

 

The boss and his family were already there. They stood up when they saw us arrive. We bowed slightly in respect as well. Luhan helped me to my chair and seated himself after.

 

Taeyong acted indifferently. He was his bratty self when his dad started asking him about how he was doing with getting to know me.

 

Mr. Soo Kui: Taeyong, how are you and Xiao Yi?

Taeyong: *shrugs*

 

I had to eat slowly and observed them. Luhan did the same. Mrs. Soo and Seul Gi had to take a deep breath. Jeno sank low on his chair and ate silently. I think they were expecting Taeyong to be indifferent. Like it was normal.

 

Mr. Soo Kui: Do you know what she likes...food...color?

Taeyong: Nope.

Mr. Soo Kui: Does she know-

Taeyong: No. She doesn't know anything.

Mr. Soo Kui: Then what have you been doing?

Taeyong: Just like what you said.

Mr. Soo Kui: Don't joke with me young man.

Taeyong: Sir, I'm not joking.

 

He called his dad "Sir." Did that mean he was not as close to his dad as he's supposed to?

 

Mr. Soo Kui: We have talked about this. You are supposed to be doing your part for the business. The least you can do is to get to know Wu Yinzi as you are expected to. Do you know what it would lead to if you don't do your part?

Taeyong: I know.

Mr. Soo Kui: Then why are you not taking this seriously?

Taeyong: How would you know? You're not even here the whole time and you assume I have not been doing my homework?

 

Mr. Soo Kui flared up and slammed his fist on the table. I was startled and had to put my spoon and fork down, leaned towards Luhan and cowered on my seat. Taeyong stood up and talked back.

 

As he spoke, he loosened his tie and rolled up the sleeves of his white shirt. He fidgetted with his tie until it came loose and he took it off and threw it on the floor.

 

Taeyong: Yeah. I don't know what color she likes, or what food she likes to eat. I don't really care about those, sir. I don't actually think it matters. But here's what I know. I doubt this would be in your list, because you have a whole different view on important stuff. Well, I know Wu Yinzi is someone who speaks her mind when she has the chance. Not like me. She can stand up for herself. Not like me. She also has one of the prettiest smiles that makes me want to appreciate life more. She has friends. I don't. Eversince I started to understand, I've always been told I'm perfect. But I'm not. Do you hear me? I'm. Not. Perfect! Because I'm always under strict orders. If I was perfect, I wouldn't be getting this kind of treatment from you, right?

 

Then he ran a hand through his hair in a pissed off way and, "This is bull." And he walked out of the room.

 

The boss didn't even make a move to follow him. Nor his mom. His sister attempted to stand up and follow him, but his mom held her.

 

These people don't really care, do they?

 

I stood up and ran after Taeyong.

 

I didn't think about asking Luhan's permission. Nobody from his family made any move to stop him from walking out of dinner. I felt horrible, actually. I also wanted to get out of the room because of the tension. I hoped Luhan would be able to cover for me.

 

I saw Taeyong walking towards the hotel's wide doors. I ran up to him and called him. He didn't turn his head around. He just kept walking until he was out the door and went down the steps towards the walkway and to the street.

 

The Brat was not looking where he was going. What if he'll walk directly and cross the street without looking if there was a car or bus or whatever?

 

"Hey you brat!"

 

I had to use up the last of my breath to shout at him. I guess he sensed I was dying, so he turned around. He stopped just a few steps away from the street.

 

Him: Why are you following me?

Me: Can you at least watch where you're going? You might get hit by a car!

Him: I didn't plan to commit suicide, if that's what you were thinking.

Me: Then stay away from the street.

 

I had reached him. I stopped to catch my breath. He looked at me and smirked.

 

Him: You didn't have to follow me.

Me: Your family didn't. I don't think it was nice of them not to follow you.

Him: Hah! Nobody cares what I want, anyway.

Me: I think that's because you don't actually tell them what you want?

 

He shook his head and smirked. He started walking away. I followed him. He wasn't really thinking where he was going, because he turned into a corner and looked around him.

 

Oh yeah. He was not familiar with this area. He was not from here. I walked faster and tried to fall into step with him. He stopped walking and placed both his hands on his back pocket and hung his head back.

 

Me: Do you know where you're going to?

Him: No. I just wanna get out of here.

Me: I know a place where you can go and cool yourself down.

Him: A pool?

Me: No.

Him: You said cool down...so...

Me: Don't be stupid.

Him: Yeah, yeah. Whatever. Lead the way.

 

I sighed deeply and thought of a place where the Brat could calm down and relax. I didn't really have any place in mind, but as I looked around, I remembered there was a children's park nearby.

 

But we had to cross the street to get there.

 

I had stepped onto the pedestrian lane without looking at the traffic light and was talking to him about the place when his hand had grabbed me back. A car whooshed past, missing me by a few inches.

 

Taeyong: You should be the one watching out where you're going!

 

I was still in shock. I looked at the traffic light. It was green for pedestrian. That car was in the wrong. That driver wanted to kill me.

 

Me: But it's green!

Him: It doesn't mean you don't need to look left and right first. Stupid.

 

He grabbed my arm and started walking across the street, half dragging me with him. He didn't let go of my arm until we were safely on the other side of the road.

 

Him: Now, where?

Me: Just straight ahead.

Him: You lead. No. This side, not the street side.

 

He had pulled me to the side, him being the one nearer to the street.

 

Gentleman. Huh?

 

I hope it'll last more than five seconds.

 

Surprisingly, it did. We walked silently towards the children's park. It was past seven o'clock, so there were no more children playing. I went to sit at the swing. He sat on the other swing.

 

Him: Thanks.

Me: Did I hear you right?

Him: You want me to take back my thanks?

Me: You want to?

Him: No. I mean it. Thank you.

Me: For what?

Him: For following me.

Me: It's...it's nothing.

Him: Nobody has ever done what you did.

Me: Do you know why?

Him: No.

Me: Maybe because you're such a brat.

Him: They made me what I am.

Me: But you're old enough to decide what you want to become.

Him: Easy for you to say.

 

He pushed his foot forward to swing back and forth. The swing creaked as he swung to and fro. I stared at him. He looked a little bit relaxed this time.

 

Me: Why did you walk out from dinner? You could've just told them what you wanted to say and stayed,

Him: I didn't really wanna leave. But I felt bad. I don't like this situation.

Me: You could've told your dad that you don't like it.

Him: Have you?

Me: Me what?

Him: Told your dad you don't like it...?

Me: No.

Him: So, you don't like it, too...huh...

Me: I can't do anything for now. But I decided to wait until I'm seventeen before I tell papa my decision.

Him: I've had enough of appa's constant reminders to get your attention. It's annoying.

Me: You can just stop, you know.

Him: You hate me. Yeah. I know that.

Me: Because you are a brat.

Him: I wanna do things my own way. You might hate me now, but you might like me too, in the future.

Me: So you're not giving up?

Him: Hell no! Just because I hate my father's guts, doesn't mean I give up.

Me: So...you don't really hate this...this...set up?

 

He stopped the swing and turned to face me. His eyes bore right through my soul.

 

Nice eyes.

 

Aish.

 

Stop it, Xiao Yi!

 

Him: At first yeah. I hated it.

Me: Uhm...

Him: I know I'm a brat and I wasn't expecting you to stand up against me. You earned my respect, Wu Yinzi. And you got my attention. I'm not giving up just like that. I like you.

 

I shouldn't have followed him.

 

Luhan, please get me here.

 

Now.

 

Him: But...I'm willing to wait until you're seventeen. The time when you can decide.

Me: Right.

Him: For now, I'm okay with your friendship. I hope it's not too late?

 

He had gotten up from the swing and was walking over to me. I dropped my gaze and pretended to brush something off my skirt. I saw him stand in front of me and his hand in front of my face.

 

Him: Friends?

 

I looked up at him. He was smiling. Damn. He looked so handsome when he was smiling.

 

.

 

No way.

 

Jungkook. Jungkook. Jungkook.

 

I took his hand and shook it. "Yeah. Friends."

 

He chuckled. All the brattiness gone from his eyes. Then he cleared his throat.

 

Him: I haven't finished my dinner, as you know. I'm still hungry.

Me: We can go back?

Him: Not yet.

Me: Do you have money? I forgot my purse at the hotel...

Him: I got...hmmm...I have one thousand yuan here...and some change.

Me: Ah, that's more than enough.

Him: You sure?

Me: Are you up for street food?

Him: I could try.

 

And I snorted.

 

Him: That's not very girly.

Me: I know right.

Him: Your dad must scold you for snorting.

Me: I don't snort when he's around.

Him: Your brothers don't mind?

Me: Nope.

 

I stood up and gestured for him to follow me. He held a hand out and looked at the left and right first before he let me walk out of the park and onto the sidewalk.

 

Him: Couldn't be more careful.

Me: Thanks

Him: No biggie.

 

There was a cart selling hot steamed buns and it smelled good. I looked at Taeyong and nodded when he pointed at the cart. I walked over to it first and asked the woman who was selling to give us two. Taeyong's change was actually enough for the buns and we ate it on the sidewalk.

 

He surprisingly liked it. He shushed me when I kept talking to him about the different meat filling that some buns have. He wanted to enjoy his steamed bun in silence, so I gave him that.

 

Brat is being tamed.

 

LOL.

 

Jiayou!

 

After finishing the steamed buns, he craved to eat ice cream and he asked me if I knew any ice cream shops that were still open. I laughed at him and told him that there was an ice cream shop near the hotel we passed earlier. It would still be open, because I remembered their signage saying "24/7 open."

 

We walked back towards the hotel. When the ice cream shop came into view, I pointed at it. He groaned a little and his lips when he saw the shop window where it had posters of their ice cream menu.

 

Damn.

 

Please keep your tongue inside your mouth.

 

He pushed the door open and a little bell tinkled, announcing our entrance. He was amused and he turned to look for the bell. When he saw that the bell was fixed on top of the door, he chuckled. He then walked over to the counter and started looking at the ice cream flavors he wanted to eat. I went to stand beside him.

 

Me: This...should totally cool your mind.

Him: Right.

Me: So, go ahead.

Him: What flavor you want?

Me: Uh...plain vanilla is fine.

Him: Sprinkle it with candy bits.

Me: You're the one paying anyway.

Him: Hahah. Sure.

 

Oh dear god. He laughed.

 

You should laugh more often.

 

Him: What?

Me: Huh?

Him: I thought you said something.

Me: No. No, I didn't.

 

Duh.

 

You said it out loud again.

 

For some reason, I started to think he was alright. If he would just shed off his bratty image all the way, then he'd be..

 

No.

 

I ate my ice cream in silence. He was enjoying his ice cream in silence too. Like a little kid.

 

He was no longer Brat.

 

He was now Kid.

 

The hotel was just three buildings away from the ice cream shop, not that the other buildings were large like the hotel. He didn't walk ahead this time. He walked a little slower, matching my pace. We reached the hotel and went in the double doors.

 

Luhan was waiting near the door and he ran up to me and hugged me. He had my purse on one hand and gave it to me. There were several policemen who were standing on one corner of the lobby, talking to Mr. Soo Kui and his wife.

 

Luhan had explained that when we didn't come back to the restaurant after fifteen to twenty minutes, they panicked. Luhan also added that he tried calling me, but when my phone rang from inside my purse which was on my chair, he panicked as well. The boss had called for the police to start a search party for us both.

 

Wait. What did he call the police for?

 

The deer gege closed his eyes and took a deep breath.

 

Luhan: You made me worry. I was having trouble thinking of excuses to give mama had you not returned.

Me: Duibuqi, Lu ge. Really. I'm sorry.

Luhan: Thank god you're safe.

Taeyong: She was almost hit by a car.

Luhan: What?

Me: He was kidding.

Taeyong: I might be a brat, but I'm not a liar.

Luhan: Xiao Yi!!!

Me: I'm okay. I'm okay. Really. And I'm sorry gege.

Luhan: Aaahhhh...*sigh* you're not going anywhere this whole week. And the next week.

Taeyong: Ooops!

 

Yeah.

 

Grounded.

 

Thanks, Brat.

 

Oooh yeah. He's back to Brat now.

 

"SOO TAEYONG! YOU DO NOT WALK OUT ON ME! WHERE HAVE YOU TWO BEEN??!"

 

His appa's voice boomed as he approached us near the door. The guests who were coming and going had to stop in their tracks and watch.

 

Taeyong smiled sarcastically to his dad.

 

"We went to eat steamed buns. Oh...and ice cream."

 

And he walked past his father and directly to the elevators. I saw him press a button and turned his head to look at me. Before he got in the elevator, he raised a hand and winked.

 

His appa was fuming mad but didn't follow him to the elevators. He stayed with his wife and started telling the police case was closed and that there was no need for a search party.

 

"I'm telling mama. And papa."

 

That was a threat from Luhan.

 

Somebody save me!!!

 



I have always wanted to redeem Taeyong's character exactly like in this chapter. Anyway, he's still bratty. Hahaha. So now, both Jungkook and Taeyong confessed they like Xiao Yi. I don't know what's next. xD Kidding. It's almost the Christmas holidays for the Wu kids. Thank you for those subscribed. And as always  → 사랑해요! ♥♥♥ 我愛你們!吴愛你們!