Overture

Th13teen

SUHO:


"Where are the others?"

 

Was Luhan's first question to me as he started to go upstairs to change his clothes. I was in the kitchen stuffing the pizza back in the fridge. I had gotten my share and was now eating it. Luhan and Xiumin's soccer friends had come along to hang out. They were not aware that Baekhyun had also invited the skateboard team over.

 

"Chen is upstairs, Kyungsoo is upstairs, Lay and Xiao Yi in the backyard." Was my reply. I sat at the kitchen counter eating my pizza. Luhan did a double take and sped down the stairs toward the back door.

 

"Xiao Yi! Get back inside. It's getting dark."

 

I rolled my eyes. It's as if little sister was out with friends at the mall or somewhere else. Luhan had to chill sometimes when it came to her. The kid was only in the backyard...and with Lay. Tsk.

 

Xiao Yi had appeared with Luhan afterwards. She had gone upstairs without any complaints, though. Luhan followed her upstairs. If I wasn't mistaken, Luhan had freaked out because the Kim and Min boys were in the backyard as well. Especially Jungkook and Taehyung. Wasn't Chanyeol there too? Baekhyun, Tao, Kai and Sehun? Tsk, tsk. Luhan had to learn to trust them that they'll keep little sister away from harm.

 

It's hard being the eldest in this family. You had to make sure everyone was accounted for. You had to make sure everyone ate breakfast, lunch and dinner. You had to make sure everyone was well taken care of. You had to monitor their school and extra-curricular activities. And aside from taking care of younger siblings, you also had to do some work for papa. Because you are expected to follow papa's steps, you had to work on projects for him. Well, wasn't that what papa was training us for? To finally take over his position in the corporate ladder?

 

It wasn't long until I get to be the mother and father of this family. Luhan, Kris and Xiumin would be going to college and I'd be left as the da ge. I'm kinda torn between being excited and dreading it. Excited in the sense that I would finally be able to experience new things. But dreading it as well, because there are just too many things I would have to be responsible for. I knew that I would be the OIC for mama and papa when my brothers and sister need a parent. Papa would still be travelling often. I could see that. Even if their boss had expanded the business to Beijing, I still could see papa going back and forth Korea and Hong Kong. And mama would already be a full-fledged doctor. Weren't doctors on call 24/7? She might just be in Beijing, but because she'd be a doctor by profession, she would probably be in the hospital or clinic most of the time. And not to forget patients calling in the middle of the night for emergencies.

 

Luhan had gone back down in his casual clothes. Before he went back to his friends whom Xiumin was entertaining, he went to check the fridge. Then he turned to look at me and asked.

 

Luhan: Where'd you get that pizza? Are there any left for us?

Me: It's on the bottom shelf of the fridge. I don't think it'll be enough for you and your friends.

Luhan: Who called for delivery?

Me: Baekhyun.

Luhan: Aha. Splurging.

Me: I wouldn't call it splurging. It's only his third purchase with his card.

Luhan: Yeah. What's for dinner?

Me: I don't know.

Luhan: Where are the househelp

Me: Laundry room and backyard.

Luhan: Backyard? What for?

Me: Baekhyun has guests?

Luhan: Ah..right. Well, can you tell them to cook bibimbap for tonight?

Me: Hao.

 

And he went back to his friends. He also picked up the phone and called pizza delivery. I had to take note that I also needed to be hospitable to guests. As the man of the house, I should show good manners and right conduct. Tsk, I really would have a lot to think about when the time comes that the three oldies would be gone. However, I would only be doing it for a year. Lay and I would be graduating after next year and will go to uni. I fear for Baekhyun. I think he should start being more responsible and be less playful. It still seemed to me like he was still testing the grounds, playing with the situation to see if he can handle it or not.

 

I went to finish my pizza slice. I only got up when I finished it up and went to wash it off with orange juice. I was glad there was a pitcher of fresh orange juice and I drank one whole glass. Kyungsoo was the one who always prepared fruity stuff in the house. May it be sliced fruit for breakfast, fruit juice concentrate, fruit cake, and fruit salad. He's the fruity kid. When the househelp returned from the backyard, I told her what Luhan requested. She then went to prepare the food. I was not sure if these guys would be staying for dinner though, so I just told her to prepare for at least all of us in the house. It sounded like she would be making food for a party.

 

I went to the back door and called for Baekhyun.

 

Me: Baek? Your team staying for dinner?

Baek: Nope.

Me: Okay. Because preparing for dinner now.

Baek: Thanks for asking though.

Me: Sure.

 

Then I went to ask Luhan who walked over to the fridge once again, to get some ice cubes for their drinks. Their pizza had arrived.

 

Me: Your lot gonna stay for dinner?

Luhan: Nah.

Me: Okay.

 

So I told the househelp to just prepare dinner for us. She was starting to get more ingredients that moment and had to return some of them back in the pantry. I smiled sheepishly. Next time, I had to ask first before deciding. I scratched my head.

 

Lay had gone inside the house with his laptop under his arm and peeking at the food that was being prepared. He sniffed and nodded. He picked a sliced beef and ate it raw. He chuckled. I guess he knew it was still raw but still ate it. He then went upstairs.

 

Chen went down the stairs a few minutes after Lay went up. I was sitting at the kitchen counter watching the cooking process. Exams were done and no more studying for the weekend. I wanted to relax. What better way than to relax in front of food? LOL. Chen was barefoot, a habit of his since he moved with us a few years ago. He liked walking with bare feet when inside the house. He'd only wear slippers after taking a bath. Tao and Sehun had followed this habit and liked to walk around barefoot.

 

Chen: Hyung, I smell bibimbap.

Me: Yes, Luhan requested it.

Chen: Can I request for bulgogi?

Me: Okay.

 

The househelp just smiled and went to get the ingredients for the bulgogi. The other one had returned from the laundry room and helped prepare the food. Chen and I sat at the kitchen counter waiting for the food to be cooked. We watched silently, like we were watching a movie. A few minutes later, Baekhyun's team decided to disperse. He led them through the side of the house, instead of passing inside. I could see them troop towards the front from the window. They were a noisy lot. Chanyeol's voice boomed over as they sang and danced their way to the front lawn. Tao had ran back inside the house and up the stairs a few minutes shortly.

 

Then I heard cars driving away from the house. Probably Baekhyun's guests on the way home. Chanyeol went inside the house first and sank on the nearest chair. There were just 3 house guests left in the house. Luhan and Xiumin's soccer buddies. The whole team did not come, just the 3 they were closest with. Baekhyun and Kai came in next and went upstairs. Sehun stayed outside. Baekhyun had said that the maknae preferred to lounge under the tree. Tao had ran back down the stairs now wearing shorts and a tee. He had his laptop in one hand and he went out the front lawn.

 

Luhan and Xiumin's lot stayed for another 30 minutes before they went home. They still had leftover pizza. Luhan went to stuff the box in the fridge. There was too much food in the fridge now. Kris' birthday cake was untouched. But it was only a matter of time until it vanished. There was no time to eat the cake this morning, because all were in a hurry to get to school for the final day of exams.

 

Mama came home just before dinner was served. She had called Luhan and told him to bring Kyungsoo to the tailor's the next day to pick up his suit that he would wear that evening. Kyungsoo would be a guest at the GHIS on Friday evening. I would be going with him and Luhan to chaperone. Papa had made sure that someone go with him to the event. I would finally meet Chagiya formally. That incident at the restaurant a few weeks back was not considered as meeting her. It was only by chance. LOL.

 

 



 

Friday morning, I woke up rather late. Luhan had knocked on our door and demanding I come with him and Kyungie to the tailor shop. I rubbed my eyes and looked around. Xiumin was nowhere to be found. Lay was also nowhere to be found. They probably had woken up and gone down for breakfast. I checked my watch, it was half past 8 AM. Man, I overslept. But it was okay. There was no school today. I stretched and told Luhan to go away.

 

Luhan: Suho-yahh.

Me: Ask someone else, Lu ge.

Luhan: You're supposed to be the one to come with us.

Me: Grrrr... I want to sleep.

Luhan: You can go back to sleep after.

 

But I wasn't able to go back to sleep after. Yeah, I got up and took a bath, got dressed and went down to eat a late breakfast. Mama had already left for her med school. Kyungsoo was already dressed and waiting in the living room, playing on his tab. Luhan sitting across him, tapping on his phone. The others were nowhere to be seen, except Chanyeol and Tao who were at the breakfast table, eating. They had woken up late as well.

 

I sat down and started to eat. Chanyeol asked if he could go down the park today, as it was free day. Tao had wanted to come with him. I told them to ask Luhan. Chanyeol just side glanced at Luhan and whispered,"Lu ge is kinda cranky."

 

I chuckled and gave him my permission. Tao insisted that I allow him as well, so when I nodded, he got up from his seat and hugged me. I sensed that something was going on, so I asked.

 

Me: Is there anything I should know?

Tao: It's today, right?

Me: What's today?

Tao: Lu ge and Hua Chen?

Me: Ohh...yeah.

Tao: We're going to the park to have a meeting.

Chanyeol: The only way he won't suspect is for us to pretend we are minding our own business.

Me: What are you going to do?

 

I was a little concerned because the kids might have been talking about violent actions against Hua Chen. I didn't want my siblings to get hurt or anything. I'm sure Luhan wouldn't want that either. Chanyeol had replied in a soft voice, so that Luhan wouldn't hear.

 

Chanyeol: Relax, hyung. We're just going to spy on them. Baekhyun feels he had to follow Lu ge and Hua Chen so we could get more information.

Me: Nosey kids.

Tao: But don't you feel sorry for Lu ge?

Me: Of course I feel sorry for him.

Chanyeol: Then just support us, hyung.

Me: Just promise me one thing.

Chanyeol/Tao: What is it?

Me: Just don't get yourselves hurt in any way.

Chan/Tao: We promise.

Me: By the way, where are the others?

Tao: Baek, Kai and Chen already went to the park.

Me: Okay. Sehun and Xiao Yi?

Chanyeol: In the backyard. But they will follow as soon as you three leave.

Me: Does mama know you guys are all out of the house?

Tao: Yes. Already asked mama's permission. Me and Chan hyung just waited last, so it wouldn't be suspicious that all of us were going out.

Me: Ah...right. Where is Xiumin hyung?

Chan: I don't know. He's probably gone out, too. When I woke up, he's no longer in the house.

Me: And Lay?

Tao: He's out the front lawn. Pretending to be busy, but as soon as you leave, he'll follow to the park.

Me: Xiumin knows you're doing this?

Chan: No.

 

Just as I suspected. Xiumin was unaware of this meeting. Because I know that once he finds out, he'll tell Luhan and the plan will have to be discarded.

 

Anyway, I finished my breakfast and got up to brush my teeth. I couldn't go out with my breath smelling like breakfast. I took out my car keys, but then again, Luhan would be driving, so we'd be taking his car. We went on our way after Luhan instructed Lay to take care of the younger kids who were left home. Baekhyun was with the others, he had said. Lay nodded his head and the three of us had gone.

 

The tailor shop where mama had ordered Kyungsoo's suit was downtown, and it took about 30 minutes for us to get there. There were a few clients inside the shop and most of them were personal assistants to celebrities. I looked around the shop touching some of the fine clothes they had on display as Luhan went with Kyungsoo for fitting. Mama had made the appointment earlier yesterday, but we had exams so she had asked the shop to move the fitting date to today. The shop owner had sort of worried that the suit won't fit Kyungie because he didn't come in for his measurements. He just had to pick the nearest size that would fit him. There was just the problem with the sleeves, it was a bit long for him. The tailor had sighed in relief because he had expected much work to be done, but he said that there was no problem. He could fix the sleeves in no time. He requested us to wait while he fixed it.

 

While we waited in the lounge of the shop, more people came in. Luhan had to duck his head one time, because he thought that one person who came in was Hua Chen. The girl looked like her alright. But it turned out she was the daughter of one of the clothing manufacturers in Beijing. She went to the YSI in Chaoyang. I recognized her from her numerous teen magazine cover appearances. She wanted to be an actress, as she had said in her interview. I read the magazine because it was lying around at home. Xiao Yi subscribed to at least three magazines, a whim that mama allowed.

 

Kyungsoo busied himself with practicing his song while we waited. He brought his earphones and plugged it in his tab. He hummed softly in one corner so as not to attract any attention from the people coming and going.

 

We looked kinda out of place in the shop, because most of the people who came in were young professionals and businessmen and women. A few of them had turned their heads at us to wonder what three teens were doing in a shop for celebrities. I heard one of them ask the shop attendant if we were teen celebrities. I heard the attendant say she didn't know and that she only knew we were there to pick up a suit for my brother. However, one client, who was eavesdropping I guess, commented that "don't you recognize Wu Zun's sons?" To which the other client replied with, "Which Wu Zun? From Soo-Kui and Associates?" Then one male attendant came to inform Luhan that the suit was done and for Kyungsoo to fit it again.

 

Attendant: Wu Xiansheng, the suit is done. Please have your brother come for the re-fitting.

Luhan: Xiexie. Let's go, Kyungie.

Me: I'll stay here.

Luhan: Hao. We'll just be a minute.

Me: Okay.

 

And they followed the attendant to the fitting rooms. I stayed behind watching the people coming and going. I pretended to read something on my phone when I saw the attendant who was talking to the client asking about us earlier. The client had asked again, "So these kids are part of the Fengtai royalties?" I stifled a laugh. Royalties. It sounded funny. But knowing papa's position in the business world, I thought Fengtai royalty fits the bill.

 

"You could say that again."

 

"Oh. I've been away from the Beijing limelight that I'm not familiar with the social circle anymore."

 

"Madame, if you must know. The Wus are hot item these past few months. Setting the trend in business and living style."

"Zhen de? How?"

"Uhm..."

 

The attendant attempted to whisper, but I still could hear it.


 

"I can only tell what I know so far. Wu Zun had purchased a resort in Thailand. A lot of Beijing's socialites are on the lookout for when he opens it for business. You know, the rich and famous always wants to be first to go and experience stuff like this."

"I should ask my assistant to watch out for that opening, then. I'd like to go to Thailand. Thanks dear."

"You're welcome, madam. It is reported that Wu Zun is reconstructing his home, too."

"I shall try and set an appointment with him soon. Maybe he can allow his kids to join my roster of young artists."

"You saw his eldest son, madam. The one accompanying the smaller brother earlier."

"Ahh.... How excellent! Maybe he could be a model for my upcoming fashion show. You know, collaboration with your boss."

"Make it happen, madam."

"I will try dear."

 

I couldn't help myself from laughing, so I pretended I was reading something funny from my phone and laughed. I felt eyes looking at me as I laughed. I pretended to ignore them, but I just couldn't. Luhan be a model for a fashion show. Daebak! It was better than him getting married to a Dong, anyway. And who was this madam, anyway? I tried to peek from over my phone. I saw a middle aged woman by the counter with a few shopping bags on her feet, her assistant standing behind her. She looked like one of the Beijing elites. What was she doing in a men's tailoring shop? Oh, yeah. I heard she had a collaboration with the shop owner for a fashion show. But I doubt papa would allow any one of us to be exposed like that. He was even hesitant to let Kyungsoo participate in this event, how much more be a fashion model.

 

But....little did he know that Kris ge had been seen in a Japanese magazine that featured his mom. I got a notification alert on my Facebook account and when I checked it, Kris had tagged us about the news. His mom had been ambush interviewed at the restaurant they had dinner in during his birthday. His mom was famous in Japan and when they saw she had someone with her, the paparazzi had gone taking pictures of them and asking questions. Kris had placed a short caption under the photos he tagged us in. He had also added in the comments that the paparazzi thought he was the young man that his mama was dating. He just laughed at it when his mom said he was on a birthday date with his son.

 

I ignored the people in the shop. Luhan and Kyungsoo were taking a little bit longer that expected. I think Luhan was making sure the suit fitted him perfectly. OTL. Instead of eavesdropping on the conversations around me, I busied myself with checking the updates on Facebook.

 

Wu Sehun is now friends with Dong Hua Chen.

 

What? Wait. Wait. I don't understand. Why? What is this?

 

I quickly searched for Sehun's number and dialled. He was not picking up. Grrrr... What is this kid thinking? Or was he even thinking?

 

Pick up, Sehun. Pick up!

 

Sehun: Hyung.

Me: What were you thinking?

Sehun: What?

Me: You and Dong Hua Chen friends on Facebook!

Sehun: Oh, she accepted already. Whoaa...cool!

Me: Wu Sehun, if Luhan knew about this, you-

Luhan: If I knew what?

Sehun: Lu ge is there? Don't tell him.

Me: Uh...It's Sehun.

Luhan: Yeah, and what do I need to know?

 

I quickly improvised.

 

Me: Sehun and the rest of the kids are out in the park. Basically, there's no one home but the househelp.

Luhan: Oh. Xiumin not home yet?

Me: I don't know. Did he go somewhere?

Luhan: Yeah. He had to go to papa's office to bring some paperwork. Papa forgot to leave it with Mr. Kim.

Me: Oh. Let me ask Sehun...Sehun..?

Sehun: I'm here.

Me: When you left the house, did Xiumin hyung already return?

Sehun: Yes. He's home.

Me: Okay, thanks. *whisper* We will talk about it later...

Sehun: Relax, gege.

Me: You better have a good reason.

Sehun: In fact, I do.

Me: You better...

Sehun: Don't tell Lu ge, okay? He doesn't check his Facebook too often, and I don't want him to check it now.

Me: Hao, hao, hao le. You kids take care.

Sehun: We're going to the Kims right now.

Me: What? Why?

Sehun: Lay ge said Jin hyung can help us.

Me: Oh dear.

 

If they were going to the Kims, it meant Xiao Yi and Jungkook's gonna see each other. And Chanyeol's there with them. Ahhhhh...I just hope there'll be no trouble.

 

Me: Sehun?

Sehun: Yes?

Me: Who's going to the Kims? All of you?

Sehun: Nope. Just me, Lay ge, Chanyeol hyung, and Baek.

Me: And the others?

Sehun: At the park. Kai, Xiao Yi, Tao and Chen hyung.

Me: Alright then. You take care. Don't make any trouble at the Kims.

Sehun: Of course.

Me: Okay. I'm ending this call now. Bye.

Sehun: Byebye.

 

I was able to breathe after the call. So, no worries then. This was what I was worried about, that's why I chose not to date yet. I know I was already of age, but the pressure and tension. What if my brothers and sister do not like the girl I'm dating? I would have a hard time trying to make them be good friends. And I pity the girl. These younger kids were a little bit possessive. Tsk, tsk. And that's why they were doing something to help Luhan get out of this make-believe relationship with Hua Chen. Blackmail and stuff. Oh dear. I cannot. I wish I was not one of the older kids.

 

Mama, can I go back inside your tummy?

 



 

Okay. First off, I remember what I wanted to say before. It's about the S4 car that Baek drives. LOL. The S4 is Suho's car. I forgot that their dad's car was the A7. Both are Audi, so I kind of mixed them up. Duibuqi. I'm thinking of doing another double update. Let's see if I can. xD 화이팅! 加油!