So Near Yet So Far

Th13teen

 

JUNGKOOK:

 

"I'm sorry I won't be able to make it today. Kris gege arrived from Japan and we're going to sort of go watch a movie with my brothers later."

 

Xiao Yi had texted. That meant I won't be going to the mall later, then. I didn't see it coming, though. But I totally understand. Family comes first. Now that she bailed out, what am I going to do today? What kind of activity I can waste my time on? I'll be left home alone today.

 

Jin hyung is going to the library today. He was going to do some research on his World History class. I think he had a reporting duty next week. He didn't have any partner or group members. I think that's how it is in this school. He's already a junior and he's expected to do projects on his own.

 

J hyung is going with his classmates to the mall. In fact, he was already preparing to go now. He won't be taking his lunch at home, either. They were watching a movie. And I was hoping I could with him, but he told me that it was an exclusive outing. Fine.

 

Jimin hyung is going with eomma to the spa. He said he wanted to experience being pampered in a Chinese spa. Eomma told him there wasn't any big difference, though. But he insisted that he wanted to come, so eomma just let him.

 

Appa was out on a business meeting. On a Saturday. It's pretty normal, though. We don't expect him to stay at home on a Saturday. It was rarely that he stayed at home even on a weekend. He might not be in the office, but he'll be out with business colleagues, meeting up with them over golf or coffee.

 

And then there's me. I didn't have anything to do today. I was really hoping Xiao Yi to come watch a movie with me. You could say that how about if I go watch it with my classmates or friends? Well, firstly, my classmates consists of Sehun, Kai and new people I just met recently. I was not really comfortable with them yet, save for Sehun and Kai who are in the skateboarding team with me. Secondly, if I asked my friends to watch a movie with me, they'd have to travel from Korea to China. Hahaha. Like I said, I haven't really made many friends here yet. I guess I should start being friendly to everyone. And the best way to do that is to learn how to master Chinese.

 

Xiao Yi could be my teacher. I know I would leard a lot quickly if she was going to be my Chinese teacher. Not that I won't learn anything if it was another teacher. But I'm just saying what I feel is true for me.

 

Anyway, I had texted her back, telling her that it was okay even if we were not going to be watching the movie. I also told her that there was still next time and that she should enjoy the day with her brothers. It was a belated birthday celebration with Kris hyung, anyway. Her gege should receive time from them and celebrate it with him. If it was Jin hyung's birthday, I would also have done the same thing. I would have celebrated it with him.

 

I think the difference with me and Xiao Yi's family is that I only have three older brothers, whereas she had twelve older brothers. And I was a boy, she was a girl. There was a big difference if the youngest is a boy between a girl. As a boy, my hyungs didn't really have to worry about me. They knew I was capable of taking care of myself. I could stay out later than usual and they would not think I'm at the risk of being mugged on the streets or....yeah. Well, I understand her older brothers are protective of her. If I was her brother, I would also be protective. I wouldn't want my little sister to be in any danger. And even if she wasn't my sister, I am....sort of...protective...over...her.

 

Uhm. It's a touchy subject. I can't go on talking about her without stopping for a few hours just to get my thoughts straight.

 

*Laughs*

 

Oh, I just saw J hyung go out of his room. He was wearing a checked flannel shirt over his sleeveless white tee and his trusty cargo shorts and Pony kicks. I have my bedroom door open, by the way. So I can see people coming and going from outside.

 

Jin, J, Jimin hyungs and my room are in the second floor of the house. There were two guest rooms on this floor too. The first floor had our parents' room, the mini library, appa's office, and entertainment room. There was also a lounge just at the landing of the floor. The ground floor had the living room, dining, kitchen, laundry, maid's quarters and a mini meeting room. The rooftop housed our swimming pool. I think appa bought this house because of that. You could hold a party on the rooftop by the pool and have barbecue and stuff. There were two stairs going up, one from the inside and the other from the outside. You didn't have to go inside the house to reach the rooftop. Jin hyung's room was by the stairs going up.

 

Anyway, here I was lying with my tummy down on my bed, and facing my open bedroom door. J hyung returned to his room, probably forgot something. Oh. Yeah. He forgot to bring his wallet. LOL.

 

Me: Hyung!

J: Oh?

Me: Can I go with you?

J: No.

Me: Okay. Bye.

J: Byebye Kookie-ya.

 

See? He just doesn't want me to go with him. I bet they are going to meet their girlfriends. Hahaha. I should try catching them at it one time. Jimin hyung and Yue are probably dating too. They've been spending time on the phone for long periods of time. Eomma had scolded him numerous times because he was using up all his mobile phone credits. I think they hit it off pretty well at the horror house. After Xiao Yi had left with Luhan hyung, I looked for Jimin hyung. I couldn't see him anywhere, but when I got back outside the horror house, he was just getting out with Yue. They were...uh...sort of...holding hands. Ahahaha. Ling Yan had gone home, they had said when I asked him. We were with Jimin hyung's classmate and he had to go home earlier too.

 

Maybe I'll just go to the mall alone. I might just watch the movie alone, too. Hmm. Okay. It will be a new experience for me, watching a movie alone, in a new country. Hmmm..hahaah. What will I watch anyway? I think J hyung and his friends are going to watch Guardians of the Galaxy. It's on three movie theaters at the mall, actually. Maybe I'll go watch the same movie. But what time did the movie start? Wait. Lemme check.

 

*Pulls laptop from under the bed and places it on top of bed*

 

Ahh...let's see. The nearest mall would be...hmm...okay...it's 9 AM now. Mall opens at exactly this hour. Aha! Movie starts at 1:30 PM, theater One. Lemme reserve my ticket. There. Scan QR code for ticket. Hmmm....Tchh..tchh...so slow. My internet is slow. Heheh. Ah there. Good. I'm a happy maknae. Yay! Hahah.

 

*Eye smiles*

 

 


 

KRIS:

 

 

*Rubs eyes*

 

Wait, what time is it? Did I really sleep three hours already? Ahhh... Just five minutes short of three hours. Geez. Fine.

 

It was lunchtime. Nobody woke me up. I was still wearing my shoes and slumped on the living room couch. I could smell lunch being served. I shifted so I could see the dining area. I saw the househelp preparing the table now. Mama Wu was instructing one of them about something. Lay and Baek were playing chess on the stairs. Suho was on the kitchen counter, watching and listening to what mama Wu was saying. Tao, Kai and Sehun were at the top of the stairs, by the first floor landing, dropping crumpled paper bombs at whoever walked under. When I sat up, I kicked Chanyeol in the process. I didn't see that he was sitting by my feet. He had his guitar and was staring into space trying to remember the chords to a song he wanted to sing. Kyungie was not in the area. Wherever he was, I knew he was happy. Why? Because nobody paid him any attention. There were no Kai or Tao or Chen who always picked on him. Yeah, yeah. I do pick on him sometimes too, but not always orz.

 

Where was Luhan and Xiumin?

 

I scanned the area. I could only see the whole living room, part of the kitchen and part of the dining. I could see the hall going to the laundry and back door. Then Luhan came right through the open front door. He was on his phone and talking fast.

 

"Dui, dui, dui... On the 27th. Shi-ah...Whole day, right. Oh? Wo bu zhidao ta... Ahhh...Hao le. Okay, this is my contact number. Yes. Okay. Xiexie, xiexie. Byebye."

 

He was making the reservations for Dobichan's birthday.

 

Luhan: Ah Kris. You are awake. Are we still going to watch a movie or...you wanna sleep?

Me: Nah, it's okay. Let's go watch.

Luhan: Hao. But we'll eat lunch here, first.

Me: Yup.

 

Luhan saw Xiao Yi went down the stairs.

 

Luhan: Xiao Yi, what's that?

Xiao Yi: It's my birthday present for Kris ge.

Luhan: Ahh...can you get mine, too?

XY: Huh?

Luhan: Please?

 

But he was chuckling. Luhan and his lame attempts at being subtle. You'll always know he was already making you his slave because he can't keep a straight face when he does that.

 

XY: Where is it?

Luhan: Hmmm...Right on top of my bookshelf by my bed.

XY: Is it in a box?

Luhan: Yes. Brown paper bag with "Zero" printed on it.

XY: Okay.

Luhan: Xiexie mei baobei.

XY: Buyong xie.

 

Little sister said you're welcome even before she's done doing what was asked of her. Luhan and Zero. OTL. He was really a fan of that clothing brand and he wanted me to try out their line of clothing for the nth time. It was a skateboard clothing line and I guess he was influenced by Tao and Chanyeol. Those two were the ones who sported Zero stuff almost all the time. Kai and Baek preferred Tony Hawk, while Sehun doesn't really mind which ones he wore as long as he felt like it. Well, Chrome Hearts were one of our staples. Ahhh, let's not get into clothing brands. Maybe you'll think 'm a show off. Hahah.

 

Right.

 

I had to take a quick shower and change before I went to eat lunch. By the time it struck 1 PM, we were ready to go to the mall. Mama Wu had preferred to stay at home. She also gave me her belated birthday present. I liked her even if she was not my biological mother. She took care of us as if we were her own. I didn't feel like a castout when she and papa were both home and we were all in one room with her own six kids with papa.

 

We were in three cars. Mine, Luhan's and Xiumin's. The maknaes were not my responsibility, so they were all in Luhan's car. LOL. Okay, I was as responsible for them as Luhan and Xiumin are. But as far as papa's rules are concerned, they were Luhan's. Xiumin had responsibility over them during school days as well.

 

Luhan had already reserved our tickets for the movie online, so we didn't have to fall in line to get our tickets. All we had to do was have the QR code scanned at the entrance. The movie was going to start in 10 minutes. We made it to the theater in time. There was a bit of traffic going here because it was a weekend and most people's destination was the mall.

 

Luhan was incharge of the tickets. Xiumin went to fall in line by the popcorn stand. Sehun, as usual, demanded for his bubbletea. He had to go with Suho to buy his tea and they got some corndogs as well. Chen saw some of his classmates while we waited for the others to return with our snacks, so he chatted with them for a bit. I made use of the free time watching over the younger kids. I had no problems with Kyungie and Xiao Yi. They behaved like angels. They just sat beside me on the bench outside the cinema entrance. Some other kids with their friends and family were lined up outside as well.

 

It was sort of a late birthday celebration for me with my brothers and sister. I was glad I had them. If I hadn't, I probably would be alone in Japan right now, since my mom was busy all the time. She was a fashion designer and she had to attend to her clients almost round the clock. She also slept late and woke up early whenever she was working on a new collection. I had witnessed it myself while growing up with her, before I decided to live with papa. I found it too stressful for her to manage her time between work and me, so I told her I decided to live with papa so her time would go easy on her. She had protested at first, saying papa was as busy as she was. But I told her that with papa, there would be other people taking care of me and I won't be left alone. So she agreed and let me live with papa after that. I only get to visit her sometimes. She was based in Japan, but at times, she had to fly to Paris or Milan or London for her fashion shows. I went with her one time, during Christmas holidays. The Christmas before I moved in with papa.

 

Anyway, here comes Xiumin with the popcorn. Oh, Sehun and Suho just appeared bringing the bubbletea and corndogs.

 

 

"Let's go?"

 

"Okay. Lu, get the QR code."

 

"It's on my phone...here, just have them scan it."

 

"It's for all of us?"

 

"Shi de."

 

"Hao de. Psssst. Zitao, where are you going?"

 

"Huh? We're going in now?"

 

"Yes, stay close. Don't wander off. Suho-yah...lead the way, juseyo."

 

"One empty row of seats, okay?"

 

"Yeah, I don't wanna sit beside a stranger."

 

"Stranger my , Zitao."

 

"Watch your mouth, Kai."

 

"Mianhaeyo, Lu ge."

 

"That's one foul, Kai. Don't make it two."

 

"I thought the rule was three fouls?"

 

"Shhhh...you're gonna get all of us in trouble."

 

"Awww...Chagiya. It's all for one and one for all. Ain't it fun?"

 

"Shut up. People are looking at you. Go faster. There are others who want to go inside as well."

 

"Save a seat for me!"

 

"Where is Xiao Yi?"

 

"I'm here!"

 

"Stay close."

 

"I'm right behind Yo oppa."

 

"Alright."

 

"Kris ge, you are blocking my view of the screen."

 

"And why are you seated there? Transfer here. All of us are here."

 

"Ooops!"

 

"Forever lost Lay hyung."

 

"I was not lost. I was merely sitting behind you guys."

 

"Sounds like lost to me."

 

"SHHHHHHHHHHHHH!"

 

"Lu ge is about to tear the place down."

 

"Wu Zhong Da!"

 

"Zipping my mouth. Hmmmm..."

 

 

We were all seated in one row. The lights dimmed and the movie started.

 

 

"I wanna pee!"

 

"OTL Sehun! Make it fast!"

 

 

 


 

JUNGKOOK:

 

 

It's a new experience, Jungkook. It doesn't matter that you are alone. You are going to watch a movie and pretend you are at home. You can watch TV alone, right? Why not a movie too?

 

I sat comfortably on one of the cinema seats and had my Coke, fries and one pounder burger. I was hungry. I didn't eat lunch so I decided to get me a one pounder burger. Yummmm...

 

 

"Kris ge, you are blocking my view of the screen."

 

"And why are you seated there? Transfer here. All of us are here."

 

"Ooops!"

 

"Forever lost Lay hyung."

 

 

The Wu's are here. I knew those voices. I searched for the owners of the voices. I saw Lay hyung getting up from four seats away from me. I was there earlier so I didn't see them when I entered the cinema. My eyes automatically searched for someone with long, straight hair from the row in front of me. When I saw her, I smiled. It was just like she hasn't bailed out on me. We were here, going to watch a movie...sort of together.

 

Shall I tell her?

 

No.

 

I'd like to just watch her from my seat without her knowing.

 

Maybe I'll tell her later.

 

The person right in front of me was Chen. To his left sat Tao, and on his right was Chanyeol. Ahemm. I really should be discreet. Not one of them should see me. What if I transferred seats? Someone might turn their heads and notice me, so no. I cannot move from where I am. I just hope no one will turn their heads and see me here.

 

But I was alone.

 

I can easily duck my head and they won't suspect it was me. They wouldn't expect me to be here alone, anyway. LOL.

 

Sehun had to go pee right when the movie was starting. I hoped he won't look in my direction.

 

Xiao Yi was seated beside Chanyeol...and to her right was Luhan. I better not make any noise. I'm just going to watch her from a distance and pretend I sat beside her.

 

That helped. I sat quietly, watching the movie. In my mind, there was Xiao Yi beside me and talking to me about the movie. But in reality, she was either talking to Chanyeol or Luhan when there was a scene in the movie that caught her attention. If I was quiet, the Wu's were not. If I was with my brothers, I knew I would not be as quiet as I was right now. I would also be expressing myself at the right moments of the film. Each explosion, a punch in the face or even just the entrance of a new character in the frame.

 

But I was alone.

 

No.

 

I was with Xiao Yi.

 

*Chuckles*

 

Ooops. I should not be making a sound.

 

Kookie watching a movie alone, sounds so lonely.

 

Kookie and Xiao Yi. Sounds so much better together, ne?

 

 

"JUNGKOOKIE-YAH!"

 

 

Oh for the galaxy's sake. J hyung had to see me. OTL. OTL.

 

 

*Gets down on the floor, grabs food and Coke, and crawls to the farthest seat*

 

 


 

Xiao Yi:

 

 

"JUNGKOOKIE-YAH!"

 

Jungkook was here?

 

I quickly turned my head and searched for him. Chanyeol and Luhan heard it too and was now scanning the crowd behind and in front of us. But we didn't see him. We saw J five rows behind us. I guess he thought he saw Jungkook that's why he shouted. He was scratching his head now. Must be disappointed because there was no Kookie. The people around him shushed him and he just made a peace sign.

 

But I kind of felt his presence. I knew he was here somewhere.

 

I couldn't sit still all throughout the movie, knowing he was somewhere in the cinema. Was he expecting to see us here that's why he came? Or was he with friends? I doubted it though. If he was, then he wouldn't disappear as quick as lightning like that. Was he seated behind us? Can he see me?

 

Xiao Yi.

 

If he was here, he'd tell you. Right?

 

Right.

 

Wrong.

 

I think I miss him.

 

 


 

J - Hoseok:

 

 

I really thought I saw Kookie sitting down there. But he suddenly disappeared. Was I just hallucinating? I should have let him come with us. Maybe that's why I see people thinking they are Jungkookie.

 

I should have let him come with us. He's probably alone at home. Eomma and Jimin would have left for the spa earlier, and Jin hyung stayed at the library. Appa won't be home until later this evening, so Kookie would have to be alone there.

 

There are no househelps today. It's their day off on Saturdays.

 

*Takes out phone and sends SMS to Jungkook*

 

 

"Jungkookie, hyung is sorry for not letting you come with us. Can you forgive hyung?"

 

 

I prolly have to buy something for him, like takeout. He'd forgive me if I bought him food, right?

 

*Phone vibrates*

 

*Checks phone*

 

"It's okay hyung. I'll be fine by myself. Thanks. :) "

 

This kid doesn't hold grudges. He forgives easily. Maybe it's his way of repaying us pampering him. He was not a spoiled brat, though. Well, only sometimes. Okay. Most of the time. But he was a really nice kid. He knew how to make you feel special and he knew just how to show how much he appreciates your effort and attention given to him. I think sometimes we take him for granted. Knowing that he'll always forgive us even if we were a bit harsh on him or something like that. I've never been harsh on him like a douchebag, though. Maybe I was just a little independent for my own sake that I tend to leave him out on stuff like this...going to the mall together or just plain having fun at home. We used to have fun by ourselves before. But Jin hyung had to grow up right away. He had to have responsibilities that we couldn't understand. So, after appa started training Jin hyung with all his business stuff and taking care of the family in his absence, me, Jimin and Jungkook had to be left behind as the kids. Jin hyung used to be the leader of our little band of misfits when we played games together.

 

"Yo, J..."

 

"Yeah? Just thinking."

 

"Oh."

 

I had spaced out.

 

Ooops.

 

So not me.

 

I don't space out. Just this once. Promise. Wanna bet? I'll use my skateboard as collateral for the bet. It's not your common deck. It's special. The deck is by Rah Akaishi. I had another deck by Zoo York, if you want. Hahaha.

 

But I swear I saw Jungkook.

 

I knew my brother even if he's 5 miles from here.

 

Where did that kid go?

 

 


 

JUNGKOOK:

 

 

Farthest seat from Xiao Yi. Farthest seat from my brother. I couldn't get any luckier today. Sheesh.

 

I almost got caught. J hyung had to text me something like that and I can't help but be guilty. He was guilty about leaving me at home and I was guilty for not telling him I was here.

 

*Takes out phone, turns on camera, points it at Xiao Yi's row, zooms in*

 

I'm sorry. I wanted to stay near, but the fates are against us. Time and space is our enemy. It's only a matter of time until the whole world will be against us.

 

What am I saying?

 

Wu Yinzi, I'm really sorry. I'll just watch you from here. Never mind the movie, I can always watch it tomorrow. Or on DVD. The reason why I invited you to watch a movie is because I just want to spend time with you. I just wish you won't turn your head right now that I'm trying to confess. If you turned your head, I don't know what I would do. Maybe I'd have to crawl again and find another empty seat where you can't see me. It's hard confessing to you, you know. I know you know that I like you, but it's hard for me to actually say it to you, so I'm using this camera...zoomed in...to tell you. I wish we both had telepathic powers, so I didn't have to go through this situation just trying to construct the right words to say to you. All we needed to do was think of what we wanted to say based on how we felt, then both of us would know what the other wanted us to know by just sending telepathic signals.

 

Why is it hard to confess?

 

Oh yeah. She is not allowed to date until she turns 17.

 

She is near, yet so far.

 

And even if there's just a few seats between us...

 

...I think I miss her.

 

 



I'm in mush mode. I've been listening to  兩個人的荒島 (Two People's Desert Island) by S.H.E. featuring Zhou Wei. It's a really nice song. It sets the JungYi feels just right. Anyway, I'm transitioning to one of my new twists of the story. IDK if it'll work, but I hope it does. xD If it doesn't, I have plan B. Hahah. xP As usual, spreading these → ♥♥♥ 吳愛你們!我愛你們!