Birthday and Tryouts

Th13teen

 

 

"Mother of a lost child...mother of a lost child wearing striped blue and white shirt and jeans, please proceed to the mall security office at the second floor."

 

I remember when Tao gege was lost at the mall. He was 6 years old. I was 4 years old that time. Of course, this story was according to my older brothers. Papa was supposed to buy Christmas gifts and decided to bring them along. Luhan, Kris and Baekhyun were with him at the mall. They were supposed to wait for papa who went to get something at the hotel adjacent to the mall. Papa had left them at the toy store because he forgot something. He was confident that Luhan, Kris and Baekhyun were able to hold on to Tao while he get his stuff.

 

We were in Hong Kong that time; our first time. I was with mama at the hotel with Sehun and Suho. It was one of those times when Kris was with us during holiday. Lay was back in Tianjin at that time. His mom had asked he stay with her for the holidays. The other boys were with their moms as well.

 

Luhan and Kris were busy looking at toy cars and forgot Tao was with them. What did you expect from 9 year olds? Anyway, imagine the look on their faces when they found Tao was no longer within eyesight. LOL. Add to that was the announcement over the mall intercom about a lost boy describing Tao's clothes. They both hurried to the security office with Baekhyun trailing behind.

 

The mall security was amused and surprised to see Luhan, Kris and Baekhyun "claiming" Tao at the office. They were not expecting older brothers just aged 9 and 7 to come get him. They were probably expecting mama or papa to show up. That moment, papa showed up at the office as well. He heard the announcement just as he entered the mall. He automatically recognized Tao being described.

 

Luhan had said that the mall staff found Tao at the second floor, by the kid's department store crying. The toy store where papa left them was at the 3rd floor. How he got to the 2nd floor was sort of a mystery to them until now because Tao couldn't remember a thing. You might say that 6 years was old enough to know not to wander off, but Tao was a different case. He was always found "exploring" by himself anywhere we went.

 

 


 

 

Anyway, back to the present, I was at the mall with Luhan and Kris ge. Grocery shopping. Actually, Baekhyun, Tao, Sehun, Soo and Lay were with us. There was a kid crying being escorted by mall security and I just remembered that story about Tao that my older brothers shared. The kids somehow looked like Tao...well, a bit... xD

 

It was a Tuesday, 5 days after Chen's birthday. It was swimming team tryout week and the next week was skateboarding tryouts for the other boys. Soccer tryouts were done by Monday and they were able to pick new members. Luhan was asked to train the next captain for he will be graduating this year. Xiumin couldn't be next captain because he was also graduating. Tryouts for the school sports team were not held at the same time. Basketball tryouts were always first, next soccer, then swimming, skateboarding, martial arts, swimming and archery. The skateboarding and archery teams were just started last school year, so the members were all kind of new. As usual, the basketball team had asked Kris ge to try out for the team, even if it would be his first and, at the same time, last.

 

Martial arts team was one thing that Tao and Baekhyun were looking forward to. Tao was automatically going to be in the team because of his teacher's recommendation. Baekhyun was already a member the last 2 years and was excited to watch the tryouts of the new hopefuls. Kai was part of the dancesport team and they hold auditions rather than tryouts. The auditions were held every other week at the Theater Arts building. Suho ge was one of the staff of the theater arts guild. He did not act, though. He was part of the "behind-the-scenes" staff. He was trying to recruit Kyungsoo to join for additional credits. Most of Kyungsoo's subjects were geared towards music, him and Chen. Chen was also thinking of joining...the dance team, much to Kai and Tao's delight. They started to and mimick his dance moves.

 

Sehun was not the sporty type...yet. At least not at the moment. He was not showing any interest in joining any sports. Although, he was fond of swimming and skateboarding. He was influenced by Tao and Kai to join the skateboarding tryouts, so he agreed. Baekhyun was sort of leader of the group when it came to stuff like this. Chanyeol was his second in command. Tao and Kai just followed whatever the 2 said. Sehun, not wanting to be left out, follows them all, too.

 

The day of the tryout was the day that one of us was turning 17. Lay was turning 17 soon.

 

Lay gege's birthday was fast approaching. Papa was scheduled to leave for Thailand again, so he wouldn't be present. Lay decided not to hold a birthday party. He had asked papa to buy him a car instead. More like what the older boys did on their 16th birthday. Papa had hinted last year that he could ask for a brand new car on his 16th provided that he aced all his tests on the first half of the term. However, he had a problem with his Economics class, and he needed extra credits to pass the subject on the first half. He had to work harder to pass, and he decided not to ask papa for the car.

 

So, I followed behind Luhan. He was leading the group to the supermarket. Kris was trying to break Tao and Sehun apart. The 2 were bickering again over some petty stuff. Sehun had kicked Tao for accidentally stepping on his foot. Tao retaliated by pushing Sehun. But when he did, Sehun stumbled towards Kris. The dragon gege got annoyed and walked between the 2. Tao kept poking Sehun by stretching his hand as far as it could go behind Kris. Sehun mumbled a lot and Kris ge pushed Tao forward to walk beside Lay and Baekhyun. Kyungsoo was on Sehun's other side making no noise, as usual.

 

I was a bit sleepy. It was after school and I was yawning all the way to the supermarket. I had wanted to just sit in the car and wait for them. But Luhan didn't want anyone left inside the car. He wanted to make sure that he sees all of us. Kris had given Luhan the grocery list and asked Soo and Lay to come. Baekhyun showed the least interest in whatever Kris was doing, but Luhan eyed him as if to say "you better pay attention or else..." so Baek followed Kris around.

 

When we got everything we wanted, we wasted no time going home. As soon as we arrived, I all but crawled out the car to the door. Chanyeol was watching TV in the living room and was startled when I sank on the couch beside him. Chen was singing at the to of his lungs...again...from the second floor. He was probably doing his homework. Kai's mom had left for Singapore on Sunday, so he was back home with us. He was doing his homework in one corner of the living room. The other oldies were nowhere to be found. They were probably somewhere in the house...their room perhaps... I didn't know. I let myself fall asleep.

 

The househelp were the ones doing the chores this time, because it was a school night. Mama was home and she was overseeing the dinner preparations. I woke up after an hour. It was almost dinner. I was glad no one bothered me and let me sleep. I sat up and picked my school bag from the floor. I had left it lying on the floor when I fell asleep. The oldies didn't bother to pick it up and put it away from where people might have tripped on it.

 

Chanyeol was stretched out on the other couch and still watching TV. Tao was sitting on the floor in front of the TV. They were watching a wrestling match this time. I wondered who was upstairs in the media room. But my curiousity was short-lived because I heard Baekhyun and Chen talking loudly.

 

Baek: Chen!!! Whatttt???? You killed me. You should have killed that ugly one.

 

Chen: Your character is as ugly as that one.

 

Baek: But you're not supposed to kill my character. Idiot.

 

Chen: Sorry.

 

Baek: I should take one more turn. You lose a turn.

 

Chen: No way!

 

Baek: Yes way!

 

Chen: No, no, no!

 

Baek: I should kick you, you know.

 

Chen: Try?

 

Baek: Don't move...orz...hold still!

 

Chen: Wha----!!! Noooo!!! Urghh... You made me kill my own character!

 

Baek: Now, we're even!

 

 

"Baekhyun! Jongdae! What is that?"

 

Mama called as she went up the stairs to check on the two. All of a sudden, they became quiet. I knew for sure that they were still going to be scolded once mama reaches them, even if they already fell silent. And true enough, a few minutes after, both of them went down with heads bowed and sat silently beside Tao on the floor. I smelled punishment. LOL. Sehun was doing his homework sitting in front of Soo and he looked at Baekhyun and Chen.

 

Sehun: Mwahahaha!

 

Baek: Shut it.

 

Sehun: Huahahuhahahauhaaahahahaaahuuuaa!

 

Baek: ...or you will be the next to get grounded.

 

Sehun: Woot! Grounded from?

 

Chen: No videogames for a week. Grrr... It's Baekhyun's fault.

 

Baek: Not mine. You started it.

 

Chen: You started it.

 

Sehun: Mamaaaa...

 

Baek: Shut up Rapunzel!

 

 

Mama didn't go down the stairs when Baek and Chen did, so when Sehun started to call out to her, Baek shot a deadly glare at Sehun and tried to shush him by calling him Rapunzel. It was one of my brothers' bullying tactics. Calling each other Disney names. I was glad I didn't have a Disney name...yet. I know it was just a matter of time until I get my own name. The oldies were the ones who had a knack thinking of outrageous names for each other. Especially Kris and Luhan.

 

The rest of the evening was categorically quiet. Well, if you define "quiet" as no bickering, then yes. The only sound you could hear was mama "lecturing" the boys and them responding appropriately. Luhan and Xiumin also talked about the soccer tryouts in one corner, with Kris occasionally butting in and teasing Luhan for showing off at the last moments of the tryouts.

 

Suho and Kai were still trying to recruit Soo to join the theater arts guild...or possibly just the school choir. But Soo was not listening. He was focused on finishing his food.

 

I ate slowly, trying to absorb everything that was being said at the table. I was also still wondering who was it that called Soo last Friday, and if that person called again. Jungkook's wink came swimming in my memory and I almost choked on my food. I quickly picked up my glass of water and drank it. I looked around after that. Everyone else was doing something; either eating or fussing over each other. No one noticed. I smiled to myself. I didn't want to get caught thinking of JK and almost choking myself because of it.

 

After dinner, I made my way to my room and got ready for bed. I took my towel and went to the bathroom to wash up and brush my teeth. The other boys who had their own bathroom were lucky. They didn't have to go out their room. But anyway, it was all good, because the slowpokes didn't have to share the bathroom on my floor.

 

 


 

 

FAST FORWARD THURSDAY THE NEXT WEEK...

 

It was Lay gege's birthday. Papa was back in Thailand and mama was in Hong Kong. The charity she was working with had asked her to attend one of their conferences. Papa called long distance from Thailand first thing in the morning to greet Lay. We were all converged in the dining room eating breakfast, before going to school.

 

Papa promised to take us all out to dinner when he got back. The Nautilus Hong Kong now had a Beijing branch and papa wanted to bring us there to celebrate Lay ge's belated birthday dinner. We were eager to try eating there.

 

Papa had bought Lay his car 2 days before he left for Thailand. He chose a black 2014 Infiniti Q50. Kris and Xiumin went with them. Lay ge was every bit as proud of his new car that he chose to drive it to school the very next day.

 

It got covered in pink and yellow sticky notes by the end of the school day. Of course. There were even primary schoolers who came by to drool and gawk at his car and blush when they saw Lay ge approach and went in his car. He went to put his school things in his car before he went to the skateboarding rink just beside the soccer field. The cool and calm Lay ge just smiled at them and said  "Hi." After that, he went on his way.

 

Because it was important that the oldies were present during the tryouts, all of them were there. And of course, since no one was to drive me home yet, I had to stay as well. Nevertheless, I wanted to watch as well. Not only were my brothers trying out for the skateboarding team, but I learned that Jungkook was going to try out as well. In fact, he and his J and Jimin hyung were going to enter. Taehyung was also there with his Namjoon hyung. They were also going to try out. My heart skipped a beat as I saw Jungkook walk towards the rink with his skateboard in one hand. He looked so...ah..how do I describe it? Droolworthy? Hmm...yeah...and a lot more. LOL.

 

I sat with Luhan and Kris ge on either side of me. My paranoid brothers. I couldn't risk getting caught blushing, so I fanned myself and tried to look at the rinks' other corner where my brothers were converged. Tao and Sehun were doing warm up stretches. Kai and Chanyeol were talking and it looked like they were practicing some sort of dance moves to go with their routine. Baekhyun was now following Tao and Sehun, stretching.

 

A group of kids were already on the rink doing their routine. There were loud cheers and jeers at the same time. Cheers for perfect landing and twists and flips. But jeers for when someone fell flat on their or face. I prayed that it didn't happen to any of my brothers. They were now practicing on one of the corners of the rink. A group of kids behind us were talking about it. I strained my ear to listen. Luhan and Kris were cheering our brothers. Of the Wu kids, Kai went first. Perfect flips and did a 360 and landed perfectly. Everyone ooh'd and aah'd and cheered. He did a top gun and air pop...and some other sorts of flips and slides. I couldn't name them all because it was not a sport that I was into. LOL. 

 

 

"I bet the Wus will all get in. Look at those muscles...."

 

"Dude, it's not all muscles that will get you in..."

 

"I know, but damn those moves. Did you see that? The Wus are gonna do a dance routine with those skateboards. Dude, so dope!"

 

"Yeah...But the Kims are cool, too. That Hoseok looks like a good one."

 

"They're the transferees, right?

 

"Uh-huh. From South Korea. And the Mins."

 

"Min? You mean Namjoon?

 

"Yeah?"

 

"Whoaaaa! I think the Wu kids have found their match, right?"

 

"They're buddies, though."

 

"If all the Wu kids and Min and Kim kids get in, we have a chance to get in the interschool championship, mind you."

 

"You haven't even seen the Min and Kim do their stuff yet?"

 

"Ahhh, you haven't but I have. Namjoon's our neighbor, ya know. I see him do tricks in their backyard. I can see it from my room."

 

"Do you think it'll be a good idea to have them in one team?"

 

"Who?"

 

"Wu, Kim and Min?"

 

"Sure. Why not?"

 

"I can sense rivalry, though."

 

"Yahhh, it's our chance to win the championship. The past year was a flop."

 

"Because we didn't have them all in the team, right?"

 

"Right."

 

"Bulletproof EXO."

 

"What?"

 

"I didn't say anything."

 

"Ohhh...the team captain announced the new team name."

 

"Zhen bang!"

 

Yep. The skateboard team captain had renamed the team to Bulletproof EXO. And as Kai finished his routine, it was Baekhyun's turn now. I crossed my fingers and prayed he finished just as smoothly as Kai did.

 


 

Double update just for you. It's kinda short, but I didn't wanna spoil the story by putting everything in. Lay's birthday is not yet over with this chapter, by the way. Just the intro to the skateboard tryouts... I'm just happy because I saw Yifan again! He updated his IG yesterday. And today, he was tagged at #KriO I'm soooooo happy. LOL. And Tao with BLACK hair again!!! OMGGGGG!!! ♥♥♥ 吴爱你们!我爱你们!(Wu Ai Nimen! Wo Ai Nimen!)