Safe and Sound. For now.

Th13teen

 

 

After watching the news, my tears fell. I didn't know what I was supposed to do, but I wanted to help find Jin. The Kim family must be in a difficult situation now. I wanted to call Jungkook to ask what I can do to help, but with the state of my tears, I couldn't even lift a finger. Papa and mama were not home yet. Luhan had shushed everyone after watching the news. He went to get his phone and called papa to tell him about the news. Tao and Sehun were on the verge of tears and in between panic and excitement. Kris had to hold them down on the couch so they won't have to move so much. They've been standing up and walking around and sitting down again.

 

Everyone else were silent and focusing on the TV. The oldies were paying attention to Luhan on the phone with papa. Chanyeol was rubbing my back as I sobbed in his lap. Baek patted my head as he whispered, "It's gonna be okay. It's okay..."

 

Luhan finished talking to papa and instructed us all to continue with our homework. Papa and mama were on the way home. Papa was not aware of the news since he didn't hear from Mr. Kim regarding it.

 

I couldn't go back to my homework. I just stared at the table until papa and mama arrived. The other boys tried to finish their homework but ended up just talking about the news.

 

The three honks of a car outside announced our parents' arrival. It was Kris who went out to open the gate. The househelp had already gone home for the night.

 

When our parents entered the house, papa spoke to Luhan and the other oldies about the news. There was not much details said in the news, so there was not much to tell papa.

 

Papa: What time was the news report?

Luhan: Just about thirty minutes ago, pa.

Papa: Jaejoong had not called. I wonder if he knows?

Luhan: There wasn't any citation of Mr. Kim being interviewed...only one from his sons.

Papa: Did they say who?

Luhan: No. It was probably J, pa.

Papa: Haoba.

 

And papa took out his phone, ready to call Mr. Kim. But before he did that, he asked Luhan again.

 

Papa: Luhan?

Luhan: Pa?

Papa: Is your car equipped with a security device?

Luhan: I think so.

Papa: I want you to have it checked. You too, Xiumin...Kris...Suho...Lay...

Suho: Mine has, papa.

Papa: That's good.

Xiumin: I think mine has too. I haven't really checked because I don't use it. I'm confident my car is secure wherever I park it.

Papa: You can never be sure these days. Have it checked, okay?

Xiumin: Arasseo, papa.

Lay: Mine has everything on it.

Papa: Oh. Yes. Anyway, boys, I want you to be more careful when driving. I'll call your school tomorrow and request the school board for a meeting regarding student's safety.

Mama: Do you still have time for that tomorrow? I can go if you're busy, dear.

Papa: No, Youmei. I'll cancel some appointments.

Mama: Haoba.

 

And with that, papa called Mr. Kim.

 

I eavesdropped on their conversation because papa sat on the armchair next to me. Chanyeol and Baek were still patting my back and watching the news absentmindedly. They had not returned to their homeworks at all.

 

Mr. Kim already knew what happened. I heard papa ask how he knew, and from what I deduced, Mr. Kim may have been informed by J beforehand. Of course. Papa was talking in gibberish, or that's what I thought. There were terms he was saying that I didn't understand. And it seemed to me like papa and Mr. Kim were talking about getting a personal protection team, like a bodyguard or something like that.

 

It scared me.

 

Those who needed bodyguards were VIPs. People whose lives were more important than me. People whose lives had to be protected whatever the cost.

 

And papa wanted a bodyguard for us.

 

I was scared for my life and my family.

 

"Breaking News! This just in. We have new information regarding the missing Kim Seok Jin. Our news research team has just received a call from an unknown number. The caller was later identified as Kim Seok Jin himself, saying he was somewhere north of Haidian. The call was disconnected after he told us his whereabouts. Our team is currently trying to contact the number again, in the hopes of being able to speak to the missing teen. We are still in the process of verifying if the person who called was indeed Seok Jin. Another team is now trying to contact his family. This is a new lead for the police investigation team. We will keep you updated regarding this case. It has been...what...five years since something like this has happened in Beijing."

 

Papa had to turn his head toward the TV and watch silently. He still had Mr. Kim on the phone with him. After the news, he asked Mr. Kim if he saw the update.

 

Why was Jin in Haidian? North of Haidian, to be exact.

 

How was he able to call the news station?

 

Did someone cut the phonecall so he won't be able to give out details of his whereabouts?

 

Who was next?

 

I am scared.

 

I had to curl up on the couch beside Chanyeol and Baek.

 

It was another good hour before I felt relaxed. Papa and mama had gone upstairs to change. Luhan and the oldies held a meeting at the kitchen counter. Chen had flipped all the channels to keep a close watch on the news regarding Jin. Tao had resorted to his online accounts to get more information. And obviously, Jin's disappearance was the talk of the FIS students on SNS.

 

J had posted as his status that whoever knew of his hyung's whereabouts to contact him or any of the Kims right away. Jimin and Jungkook had copied his status and said nothing more about it. Their parents must have advised them not to spend too much time online about the incident otherwise, whoever did it might get information and use it against them.

 

Chen had settled on the same news channel we were watching earlier. It was now showing a documentary program on the current state of the district's economy. He was about to change it to another channel when the familiar sound of breaking news came in.

 

"We interrupt normal programming for an update on the missing person case. Good evening. This is Kan Laizhuo for the news tonight. Kim Seok Jin has been found. Rather, he was not kidnapped, but his car was taken without his knowledge as he helped an old lady bring her groceries inside her house. Haidian police have forwarded this information based on Seok Jin's blotter affidavit. Earlier this evening, we received a call from Seok Jin from an unknown number and we have verified the number was from the old lady that he helped.

 

"As per the victim's affidavit, he had dropped by one of the malls near Haidian after school and was about to go home when he chanced upon an old lady who was waiting for the bus home. He took pity on her and offered her a ride home. The lady lived near Yihai Golf Club in north Haidian. He helped the lady carry her groceries inside her house, but when he got back, his car was no longer outside where he parked it.

 

"His phone died on him as he tried to contact home to report the incident. The old lady's family helped him contact local police and file the case. As of press time, Seok Jin is being escorted home by the Haidian police. He has also been able to contact his parents. With this development on the case, the police are still nor rulling out a kidnapping attempt, and...yes, just in...Kim Jaejoong Xiansheng had filed a case investigation regarding this matter.

 

"In lieu of this, we all know that the rich and privileged of Fengtai district will act accordingly. Expect personal security added to each household now that this has happened. We will also be expecting FSI, Seok Jin's current school, to have additional security measures going to be inmplemented.

 

"Now that Kim Seok Jin is found, there is still one more puzzle to be solved. Guess who's next? For sure, the one behind this orchestration meant business. Our local police is already on red alert for any suspicious activity like this one. We don't want another Fengtai royalty to go missing, do we?

 

"And this has been Kan Laizhou, reporting for News on FDTV. Goodnight."

 

Thank GOD!

 

I couldn't thank him enough for that.

 

Jin has not been kidnapped. He was safe.

 

Someone just wanted his car? But if they wanted his car, why did they leave it? And whoever was behind it, was a pro in carnapping.

 

What was the motive of the one behind this?

 

I was getting more scared.

 

Suho: Thank god he's safe.

Lay: Why did they leave his car somewhere in Chaoyang?

Kris: Your guess is as good as mine.

Sehun: Guess who's next?

Kai: More like, guess what's next?

Luhan: This means curfew for all is in effect.

Baek: But practice?

Luhan: It's going to be decided by the schoolboard tomorrow.

Xiumin: I bet they're going to schedule the practices and not make it way past seven.

Luhan: Or even earlier than seven.

Kris: The school bus is until six thirty.

Xiumin: So, practice ends at six.

Suho: Yeah. No more late night practices.

Kris: I guess not. Not unless there is a chaperone or something?

Luhan: Papa will call the school admin tomorrow and arrange for a school board meeting. He wants to be there, too.

Baek: We'll have to expect stricter rules when going in and out of school, I guess. No more lunch outside.

Luhan: That's just too much.

Baek: But you know how it is...

Kris: Maybe for those having lunch more than ten meters from the school gate?

Suho: The Kims must be breathing well now.

Kai: I know right. Must be hard to handle earlier.

Tao: If anyone of you goes missing, I'd probably go directly to the marines to ask for help in finding you.

Chen: If anyone of you goes missing, I'll wish you just went to the bathroom and took a bath for a really long time. Just like Sehun. And Tao. And Baek.

Kyungsoo: Anyone of you missing is not funny. Don't say anything like that. Just don't.

Sehun: Nobody will go missing, okay? You have to promise.

Luhan: I'll always be here.

Kris: Same here.

Xiumin: Aye. Xiuxiu will always be in sight.

Kyungsoo: I will use my eyes to make sure I see all of you. If it got any bigger, I'd be using it to watch over you all. And I won't go anywhere.

Me: I don't want anyone to go missing. I'd miss you. I don't mind being grounded home, as long as all of you are here.

Chanyeol: It's not a happy thought, someone missing. To be honest, I felt really bad when I heard the news earlier. I wished it would not happen to any one of us. I'll always be here.

Suho: It may be one of my greatest challenges next year. I hope I can cope with the stress and challenge, but I promise to be here when you need me.

Kai: I.... just don't go missing, okay? Let's promise each other that?

 

We all looked at each other eye to eye for a while before we went into a group hug.

 

I would never exchange my brothers for any material thing in this world. Not even a sports car. Those people who want to get our cars could have them, just not my brothers.

 

I better learn how to defend myself. Just in case.

 

Tao and Baek could teach me martial arts.

 

Oh dear.

 

My not-so-flexible limbs.

 

Fail, Xiao Yi. Fail.

 

I think the Kims would be going to martial arts classes soon, just like Tao and Baek. And I think the Mins would be enrolling too. Actually, I just hope that everyone would be alright. But I knew that I was only kidding myself.

 

"Guess who's next?"

 

And I knew everyone was not yet safe.

 

*Shudder*

 



Jin was not kidnapped. But- it didn't mean he was not supposed to be kidnapped. There still was the threat of who was next. What was going to happen? Who was it going to be next?