This Is It...

Th13teen

 

 

 

Suho's birthday was spent at the Shangri-La hotel, The Red Chamber restaurant. Suho turned 18 and was officially introduced by papa to the business world and the public. For businessmen with stature like papa, it was important to formally introduce the children who turned 18, to the public...and most especially, to the business world.

 

The day when I had to leave for London drew nearer. I had already finished packing the stuff I needed for the trip and for the rest of the three years.

 

Luhan had sent the application to my new school after I had signed it. I was expected to be there a week before the school year started. But of course, I would already be there even earlier than that. Papa made sure of that.

 

I avoided most people at the party. I didn't know how to deal with the fact that I won't be seeing most of them for three years. It was supposed to be a happy occasion since it was Suho's birthday, but I felt bad. His was the last 18th birthday I would be able to attend for three whole years. The people who'd turn 18 in three years, were Kai and Sehun. But in actuality, I really won't be seeing or celebrating their 18th. Kai's was on January and Sehun's on April. I'd still be in London by then.

 

*sighs*

 

I myself would turn 14 in London. I wouldn't be able to celebrate my birthday with my family. School would formally end on the 19th of June, and I turn 14 on the 21st. Papa had already booked the flight for London on the evening of June 19. He was that thorough. I wanted to protest and tell him that I should at least be home for my birthday before I was shipped to London, but thought the better. I didn't want him to flare up and decide that I should be forever live away from home.

 

Actually, papa was not so harsh. Luhan, Kris and Xiumin had to be in London as early as June as well. They'd have to apply for British driver's licences and might have to wait for a couple of weeks (or up to 4 weeks) before they can get it, so it was best that they're there earlier. Their current driver's licences were valid though, but only for 12 months. They'd have to apply after a year, and they were going to be in London for three years. It would be a hassle if they had to renew their licenses every 12 months. Papa had also said that it's best I go with them because I would have time to adjust to the environment before school term. Papa had a point. And I had to agree with that point.

 

I was busy contemplating my fate in one corner of the ballroom when I heard the emcee of the party call Suho to the front to give his birthday speech. I saw Luhan, Xiumin and Kris by the podium and were prodding Suho to go up front. Before his speech, it would be expected that we'd have to give him our birthday wishes. The emcee then called each one of us to go with Suho in front and excused herself for announcing the wrong part of the program.

 

"I guess, I'm rushing things. Duibuqi. We will hear the birthday wishes first, before the speech from the birthday boy."

 

I had no choice but to stand up from where I was hiding and walk towards the front. I was careful not to look around me. I was avoiding people. I was avoiding a particular set of eyes. I hurried toward Yo oppa's side and held his arm. He grinned at me, oblivious to the battle raging inside me. I weakly smiled at him.

 

Chanyeol: You ready to give your wish, mei baobei?

Me: Hmm *nods*

Chanyeol: I'll just wish him to get taller, though. Hahaha.

Me: Oppa, that's mean.

Chanyeol: I don't think so.

 

Chen had slipped past us and clapped loudly. The oldies were the ones up first, and Chen cheered them on. Chanyeol poked him in the back and when he turned, he poked Chanyeol back.

 

Chen: What?

Chanyeol: You ready for your speech?

Chen: No.

Chanyeol: Huh? Why not?

Chen: It's not compulsory to give a very long speech. I'm just going to wish him to get taller.

Chanyeol: Hey, that's exactly my wish.

Chen: Well, think of something else. I'm going up before you. Haha.

Chanyeol: Not fair.

Me: If I said that I wanted to wish him the same thing, would it still be unfair?

Chanyeol: You said it was mean.

Me: It's not a bad thing to wish for, actually.

Chen: Why not just rephrase it...kinda?

Me: Like...wish for him to add a few inches to his height?

Chanyeol: ...or grow a few centimeters?

Chen: Exactly.

Chanyeol: That's a good one.

 

I was just forcing myself to be in the spirit of fesitivity.

 

One by one, the oppas and geges gave their birthday wishes to Suho and I was last in line. Sehun handed me the microphone and I softly greeted everyone a good evening, before I gave my wish. I knew I was careful in not lettingm y eyes wander to the people in the ballroom, but I guess there was a force that was stronger than my will. My eyes fixed on someone and latched onto him like a magnet. I stuttered. Sehun patted my back. I cleared my throat and apologized.

 

I saw him smile tentatively and stared back at me.

 

Jungkook.

 

He was seated with his brothers at one of the VIP guest tables of the ballroom. Of course. His family was close to ours and his father was papa's friend and business partner. He looked so handsome in his formal suit. I couldn't get my eyes off him, even as I babbled along my wish to Suho. After my wish, I would have to hide from him. I didn't know what to tell him...or how to tell him...or I don't know anymore.

 

I hurriedly finished giving my wish to Suho and handed the mic back to Sehun. I made my way to the back to hide again. This time though, I knew he would have had followed me with his gaze. I had to find another place to hide.

 

I slipped past people on the room and walked outside. I looked for the nearest restroom and ran inside to hide. I forgot to bring my purse with me. I didn't have my phone with me. I would be reported missing again.

 

*sighs*

 

But I didn't wanna be found just yet. Until all of them got home. Especially the Kims.

 

I faced the mirror and looked at my reflection. I was used to talking to myself when in front of the mirror, but I was conscious of the other people who were in the restroom. I just stared at myself in the mirror and bit my lip.

 

What if I told him right away that I won't be in Beijing for three whole years? That I won't even be here on my 14th birthday? That I won't be coming home on holidays? Would he understand? Maybe he would. What if he'd ask me why I had to leave for three years? Should I tell him that it's my punishment for being a bad girl? Would he still like me if he knew I had been bad and caused trouble? He didn't say anything about the kidnapping incident this whole time, though. I'm a little confident that he didn't blame me for what happened to him...or to Taeyong. If he didn't blame me, then it's possible that he'd understand why I had to be in London. He knew papa was like his papa. He'd understand why I had to be punished, right? But would he accept the fact that I would be gone? So many what ifs and I didn't know the answer to each and every one of those.

 

I went inside a cubicle and lowered the toilet seat cover. I sat down and stared at the door. I was determined to stay inside until the party ended. How long would it be from now? I estimated another hour, because the wishes had been given and dinner had been served. I rested my elbows on my knees, and my chin on the heels of my palms. I tapped my cheeks as I waited for the time to pass.

 

10 minutes.

 

15 minutes.

 

20 minutes.

 

25 minutes.

 

30 minutes.

 

They should be looking for me now. I was not at the party for half an hour already. I had the perfect excuse for my absence. Since there were a lot of people at the party, and the restrooms were crowded, I had looked for another restroom.

 

I heard people coming and going the restroom and after about another 5 minutes, I stood up from the bowl and went out for a peek. I walked slowly outside the restroom toward the ballroom double doors. There were still people inside, dancing and laughing. Good for them. They weren't going to be shipped out soon. I turned to leave again to go back to my toilet hiding place.

 

Xiao Yi.

 

I stopped walking, but didn't turn around. I knew that voice. I dropped my gaze to the floor, determined to avoid his face. I didn't heard his footsteps because of the carpeted floor, but saw his black formal shoes beside mine.

 

JK: Bored?

Me: Uhm...

JK: They've started talking business in there. I got bored, so I went out.

Me: Oh.

JK: Uhm..

Me: Hmm?

JK: You look...sad.

Me: No. No, I'm fine.

 

I faked a smile and had to look at him for him to believe my lie. He grinned.

 

JK: Ah, I guess the party bored you, as well, right?

Me: Ne, you're right.

JK: Do you wanna go to the rooftop?

Me: I...don't...think it's a good idea.

JK: Come on. It'll be less boring out there.

Me: They might look for us.

JK: I have my phone with me.

Me: I don't.

JK: Uh...you left it inside?

Me: Ne.

JK: Hmm, that won't be a problem. I can tell them where we are.

Me: Papa might...not like it if I...disappear.

JK: Oh.

 

He looked crushed. I guess it was just too obvious that I was trying to get rid of him.

 

Jungkook, honestly, I wanna go with you. But I can't. I don't know how to say it, but I can't.

 

JK: I'll go ahead then.

Me: Okay.

JK: See you...

Me: Ne.

 

And he walked away slowly toward the elevators. He was still going up to the rooftop alone. He really did have moments when he wanted to be alone. But...he didn't wanna be alone, though. He asked me if I wanted to go with him up there. I just rejected him.

 

I got guilty all of a sudden and without thinking, I started following him to the elevator. He had pressed the button and the doors had opened. He stepped inside.

 

Me: Jungkook!

 

He looked up at me. He pressed the "open" button for me, and I stepped inside the cab beside him.

 

JK: Changed your mind?

Me: Yes.

JK: Don't worry. I'll send a message to Kai and Sehun that you are with me.

Me: Okay.

JK: Hmm...It's a deadspot in here. Let's wait til we're up in the rooftop.

Me: Ah, yeah. No signal in the elevator.

 

He chuckled. The elevator doors opened and closed to accommodate other hotel guests. Then we arrived at the rooftop access floor. He let me out first, then followed. He led the way to the stairs leading to the rooftop. I followed him. He pushed the door open and got out to the rooftop. He took out his phone and typed something on it.

 

JK: I sent the message to Kai and Sehun.

Me: Thanks.

JK: Jin hyung won't turn 18 until December, tonight's party is like a rehearsal for him.

Me: Oh?

JK: You know, what to expect and that sort of thing.

Me: Ahhh, yeah. He's the oldest brother and would be the first to turn 18.

JK: That's right.

Me: Papa threw a party for Luhan and Xiumin oppa, but couldn't do the same for Kris ge.

JK: Last year, right?

Me: Yup. Kris ge spent it with his mom in Japan.

JK: Cool.

Me: But, papa let him come to a business dinner with Soo Kui before. I think he formally introduced them to the business world that time.

JK: Jin hhyung was there. Appa is training him early.

Me: He's not bored?

JK: *shrugs* I don't really know. He doesn't say.

Me: Maybe he's the type to like business stuff?

JK: Maybe.

 

Silence after that. It was only broken by the sound of Jungkook's phone ringing. He answered it and looked at me while he spoke. Kai was calling him. I looked around as he spoke with my brother. I just realized that we were not the only people on the rooftop. There was part of the rooftop where there were tables and chairs. Hmm... A rooftop restaurant? How cool was that?

 

Jungkook tapped my shoulders. I turned to look at him.

 

JK: Kai said the party's almost done, we should go back.

Me: We just got here, though.

JK: I thought you didn't want them to worry looking for you?

Me: Oh...yeah...mianhae.

JK: Let's not make your papa look for you.

 

He hesitated at first, but then bit his lip and grabbed hold of my hand, before he started walking back to the door that led down to the elevators.

 

I let him lead me with his hand holding mine. If I tugged my hand away, I would hurt his feelings more than what I did earlier.

 

I still haven't told him I was going away for three years. I probably won't tell him at all.

 

He pressed the down button. I stood behind him, waiting for the elevator doors to open. I held my head down, because I didn't want him to see my worried face. The doors opened and he let me step inside first, again. I stood in the corner of the cab and fixed my stare at the elevator buttons. He reached out a hand to press the button for the floor where the ballroom was.

 

The cab slowly descended.

 

JK: Xiao Yi.

Me: Hmm?

JK: Your birthday is coming up, right?

Me: Uh..yes.

JK: Thought of a way to celebrate yet?

Me: N-not really.

JK: Hmm, how about seeing a movie with me?

Me: I...I'm not sure.

JK: Oh. Yeah. There might not be a good movie to watch. But I'll check later.

Me: Ne, maybe there won't be any good movies to watch that day. I'm not so lucky, you know.

JK: Psh. I know there'll be a good one. But, if in case there's really none, what do you wanna do on your birthday?

Me: You mean, what I really, really wanna do?

JK: Yeah.

 

He was clueless. I was desperate.

 

Me: I just really wanna be with the people who matter. I don't really mind if I don't have a party or stuff like that. I just wanna be with people I love. Stay at home? I don't mind. I'd eat whatever is served, and I won't complain. I don't really ask for anything extravagant.

JK: Ahh...that sounds cool.

 

He really was clueless.

 

Me: Yeah, that's cool. If I had my way, I'd celebrate my birthday exactly that way.

JK: Am I invited?

 

Ding!

 

The elevator doors opened. We're on our floor now. I delayed answering his question. I slowly walked out to the hall and continued walking towards the double doors of the ballroom. I was conscious of him walking behind me. He called out after me.

 

"Xiao Yi. You haven't answered my question. Am I invited?"

 

Was he asking for an indirect confession from me? I wanted to celebrate my birthday with people that matter...the people I love. And he was asking me if he was invited. Was he one of the people who matter? Yes. Was he pne of the people I love? Yes.

 

Instead of answering him, I ran inside the ballroom without looking back at him. I frantically looked for my brothers...mama...papa...

 

 

 

 


 

 

 

June 19th.

 

7 PM.

 

Xiumin, Luhan, Kris and mine's luggage were already checked in. Papa was going with us, too. He checked in his suitcase last.

 

The other boys were also with us at the airport. They were seeing us off. Mama was on her way.

 

I sat quietly on the airport bench. My stomach was churning. I was on the verge of crying. This was it. Three years in London starts today. The boys were talking animatedly with each other, pretending not to notice me. I knew for a fact that they were just making me feel better by not sulking about the situation.

 

We were scheduled to leave at 9 PM, but we were supposed to be early at the airport to avoid traffic and stuff.

 

I took out my handkerchief and covered my face with it. Tears were starting to fall. Papa was talking to Suho, giving out the usual instructions. He was the da ge of the family now. Lay and Baek were there, too. The three oldies were in their own corner of the airport bench, talking with each other. I laid my head on the headrest of the bench. Sehun and Tao sat on either side of me and placed their arms around my shoulders.

 

Tao: We'll miss you, mei baobei.

Sehun: We'll miss you a lot.

Tao: Don't forget us, okay?

Sehun: My sns accounts are always online if ever you need anything.

Tao: Xiao Yi, don't cry. Don't make me cry, too.

 

I sobbed and rested my head on Tao's shoulder. Sehun patted my head and he kept telling me not to cry. He promised to always be available online when I needed him anytime. The other boys stopped talking and saw me sobbing. They crowded around me and pulled me up for a group hug. I cried all the more.

 

Chanyeol: Mei baobei, uljima. It's just three years.

Chen: We'll visit you.

Kyungie: How? We don't have money.

Chen: We'll ask papa orz.

Kai: Just pretend that it's just one week. And then you'd be back home.

Chanyeol: You stayed for a week at grandpa Wu's, Kai. Did it feel like a year to you?

Kai: Ne, you're right.

Sehun: That's not a long time, one week.

Tao: We'll have to convince papa to visit you there, soon.

Kyungie: How?

Tao: We have the rest of summer vacation to plan.

 

I was still crying when mama arrived. She saw me with tears in my eyes and she hugged me tight. She didn't let go of me until it was time for us to board the plane.

 

This was really it.

 

I sat in between Luhan and Kris on the plane. Papa and Xiumin were seated in front of us. My eyes were puffy from crying. The flight stewardess had approached us and asked if there was anything I needed. Luhan assured her that I was okay, but to please bring a pillow and blanket, which he later gave me and told me to sleep.

 

I needed to sleep. I haven't slept the whole night last night. Today was also the last day of school and I barely made it. Before I went home, I gave my friends some little mementos that I made for them to remember me. I also placed little sticky notes inside their lockers, and some pictures of us. Ling Yan had chided that it wasn't as if we were not going to see each other again. Shanna was a bit excited. She had told me that it would be possible that she might be able to spend some time with me in London for the summer vacation. Her family would be going to Europe to visit her dad's parents. Yue was the least excited. She was the closest of my friends, and it was a silent goodbye for the two of us. She just hugged me and whispered, "Take care. Don't forget us. Come back soon." I just hugged her back and nodded.

 

I didn't have classes with Jungkook that day. I was glad of that. I didn't know whether I'd say goodbye to him or not. Eversince Suho's birthday, we haven't spoken to each other. Not that he didn't make any effort. That night, before going to sleep, he called me, but I ignored his call. I didn't exactly know how to answer his question.

 

Yes, he was one of those who mattered. And yes, he was one of those whom I love. But with him asking, "Am I invited?" what was I to say? "Yes, you are invited." But I wouldn't be celebrating my birthday in Beijing. "No, you're not invited." That would mean he's not important. I knew I had the chance to explain why I would have said no, but that was another thing I was having trouble with telling him about.

 

He had tried calling me twice, and I ignored both calls. I wished he thought that I just fell asleep. The next day, he tried to call again, but I ignored it as well. He sent me a message asking me if I was avoiding him and if he did something wrong. I didn't reply his text message.

 

Sunday, and I didn't receive any calls or text messages from him. I guessed he was giving me time to collect my thoughts and finally talk to him. I dreaded Monday, because I would see him in class. The next day, I came in late purposely. That meant I had to sit at the back, far away from him. The teacher had asked me to stay after class and explain why I was late. I have never been late for that class....

 

After English literature class, he had tried to talk to me, but since I was sitting at the back, I was able to slip out the classroom before anyone else. I hurried to my locker to get my stuff for the next class and hid in the girl's restroom. I asked Yue, who had come in after me, to check and make sure that he had gone to his next class before I went out the restroom and to my next class.

 

I had told my friends my story during lunch, somewhere in the corners of the school cafeteria. I didn't see him come in to have lunch there, though. He probably went to eat with his friends or brothers, because I didn't see Jimin or J, either.

 

I had avoided him the rest of the week like the plague. The next weeks were sort of a challenge to me. I was not supposed to be late again for literature class on Monday, so I deliberately waited for him to come in the classroom first, and for me to sit at the back of the class again. That routine went on until the last Monday of classes. I think he figured it out that I was avoiding him. He would ignore me when he went inside the classroom and went straight to one corner of the room to sit by some of his friends in class. He would drop by his locker and if he saw me there, he'd do a double take and disappear. It hurt me more than anything, to be honest. But I didn't know how to go about telling him everything. It's not everyday that you tell your best...guy...friend and...crush...that you are leaving.

 

I know. I'm stupid. But at that time, I didn't really know which way to go.

 

To add insult to injury, I noticed he had stopped talking to my brothers too. Kai and Sehun were two of his best buddies, and he had stopped hanging out with them. I heard Sehun ask Kai if Jungkook was giving him the silent trreatment during skateboard drill practice, and Kai had confirmed it.

 

Skateboard finals came and I watched it with my brothers. Papa and mama came as well. With my brothers, Sehun, Kai and Baek were the ones who advanced to the finals. Jungkook and Taehyung also advanced to the finals. It was sweet victory for our school, because Kai and Taehyung were first and second place, respectively. Jungkook had placed on the top 12 as well, and that wasn't bad, considering there were older and more experienced skaters who didn't even advance to the final 20.

 

That was when I decided to talk to him, to tell him everything. I was sure that there would be some sort of celebration after, so I prepared my speech while waiting for the boys to come out from the locker rooms. Papa had suggested we all go out for dinner and celebrate the win for the boys. Mr. Kim and Min were present as well. We were a happy group who went out for dinner, and I had my hopes up that the night would end as happy as Kai who won first place.

 

But I was wrong.

 

Papa and Mr. Min had reserved a private salon in the restaurant, and we were gathered there to eat dinner. We had Italian food for dinner at the MB Restaurant. After the food, there was a bit of chitchat here and there. I decided it was the time to talk to him. The older boys were busy chatting. Papa and the older men with mama were also having a discussion. The younger boys were freely galivanting around the room and exploring stuff. I had stood up and walked over to where Jungkook was standing. He was looking outside the window. He was probably admiring the bright lights of the city outside. When I stood next to him, he abruptly turned to look at me. When he saw it was me, he just bit his lip and walked away. I wanted to follow him and try talking, but the look in his eyes when he saw me was something I couldn't take. It was as if he saw someone he hated. My heart pounded fast and there was some sort of pain that seared through...it reached to my gut and I had to get a hold of the window frame so as not to faint. I knew I was on the verge of crying, but I tried very hard to compose myself and stared outside the window as if nothing happened. I waited for about 5 minutes before I walked back to my seat quietly. I didn't try looking at him again all night.

 

Well, it was all my fault. If I told him earlier, he wouldn't have to ignore me, and there would be no pain. If I had had the courage to tell him the truth, I would have been enjoying the celebration that night. And maybe, 3 years in London wouldn't seem too long if I knew someone was waiting for me back home. But I blew it. Big time. And I have to suffer the consequence.

 

Wu Yinzi, world's stupidest person imnida.

 

 

 


 

 

 

I didn't realize I had fallen asleep for 5 hours on the plane. When I woke up, Luhan was eating something and he offered it to me. I hesitated. He laughed. It was just chocolate. But it was shaped like leaves. I had thought that he was actually eating leaves. Pssshhhh... Deer gege.

 

With me awake, Xiumin turned around and checked to see how I was. He reached a hand to me, he had a sandwich in his hand. I took it and smiled. Papa also turned around and nodded. Kris was eating his sandwich with his earphones on. He was not minding anyone on the plane but his music and his food.

 

Somehow, the thought of having my three brothers with me in London gave me hope. It wasn't a bad thing. I would still have part of my heart intact. I still had my family with me. Although not complete, I knew that I had the other half of my heart in Beijing...with the rest of my brothers and mama.

 

I took a deep breath and tried to smile. It had been a long while since I last smiled. Since Suho's birthday, I didn't really smile. My brothers were pretty considerate of the fact that I was dreading the day that I would leave for London, so I didn't endure any bullying for the rest of the last weeks in Beijing. Yet, I didn't have the urge to smile.

 

Luhan and Kris started bullying each other. With me between them, I just sat back and enjoyed their company. Xiumin was spared from the bullying, since he was seated beside papa. I was spared too, though. I guessed the two oldies were still considerate enough not to bully me.

 

The hours passed by and I fell asleep again. Kris had nudged me awake when the plane was about to land.

 

We were in London.

 

I was miles away from home.

 

I was miles away from the people that mattered.

 

I was miles away from the people I loved.

 

Well, not all of them.

 

But still, I was miles away from the person I wanted to see.

 

The plane landed safely, and we waited to disembark. Papa led the way out. I followed him. The three oldies were behind us as we made our way out the plane....and in the airport arrival gate.

 

I stopped walking and closed my eyes to say a little prayer. Tears fell from my eyes. I stifled a sob. Luhan and Xiumin bumped on me as I had stopped abruptly.

 

Papa: We're here. Let's go get our luggage and head straight home.

 

Home.

 

Beckenham.

 

Not Fengtai.

 

Beckenham would be home for three years.

 

I hugged Xiumin as he was nearest me. He was startled, but he realized what was happening.

 

"It's going to be alright, mei baobei. We'll take care of you. Don't worry. We'll be home soon."

 

And I held on to his words like it was dear life.

 

 

 



 

Hi! Finally able to update. Mianhae. I did travel for 2 days, but after that, I got sick. I had coughs and colds. I lost my voice because of the viral infection. I just got better, actually. I'm still sniffling a bit because of my rhinitis... >~<  Anyway, please don't hate Xiao Yi or Jungkook for doing what they did on this chapter. This is going to be hard...OMG. It's the last 2 or 3 chapters after this. I think I'll make it just 2...or 3...idk help. LOL. It's hard for me to let go of this story. But as I said before, I'm working on the sequel, but the story is going to focus more on Xiao Yi and Jungkook. And to make a long A/N short, here's to you my dears → ♥♥♥  吳愛你們!我愛你們!