Mama Knows Best

Th13teen

LUHAN:

 

Monday morning. Start of exam week. *sigh* I hope I'll get through with today's exams. I didn't even study. I don't wanna study. I just pretended to read but I was not actually reading. I was merely looking at the words, but did not understand any of it. I had hoped that I would wake up with this mess just a dream. I didn't want the others to be dragged into this mess I made. I knew Kris and Xiumin were thinking of ways to help me out. They had given me some good suggestions, but I'm kinda hesitant to do what Xiumin wanted to do. He'd be risking his relationship status for me, just so papa can focus on him instead of me. Kris was more into the legalities of the issue. I was not ready to look for a lawyer who could help me. It was sort of too much, I guess. I hope this situation be under control soon. 

 

I didn't eat well during breakfast. I was still thinking of the best possible way to make this suffering go away. I was glad that the younger kids did not choose this day to act bratty. I had too much on my mind to be bothered with them. I swear, if they started acting crazy, I was going to leave them at home and go to school alone. Maybe because it was exam week that they preferred to follow all the rules at home. I was sure though that later this evening, it will be like a gladiator arena at home again. I might not be able to keep myself from grounding all of them if they misbehaved tonight. I need to study, anyway. Any noise would not be welcome. 

 

I swear, this girl was making my blood boil. How could I say that she was fine before? I mean, she looked pretty, yes. But I didn't know she could be a real witch. I had learned that she was a freshman at uni. She went to that exclusive university in Haidian. Her papa must have been able to find someone who would buy that questionable property, because I didn't hear papa complain about him trying to catch Mr. Soo Kui asking to consider the sale. Tch... I pity the one who bought that property.

 

After breakfast, the younger kids had silently lined up outside and climbed in the car without noise. They were probably reciting lessons in their heads, so they were silent. We had said goodbye to mama for the day. Tao, Kai, Sehun and Xiao Yi rode in my car. They were my regular passengers. Chanyeol and Chen decided to go with Baek. Papa had allowed Baekhyun to drive his car to school. Kris had also allowed him to use his car once in a while. But Baek chose to use papa's car. I bet he was just careful about using Kris' car, so he chose to drive papa's car. He had said that he'd  be more careful if he used it. Papa had assigned Kris to train him with his tasks. He'd have to go to the construction site alone this week...if I don't solve this problem soon. I know papa had asked me and Xiumin to go with him to check on the progress of the construction since he was not home. But I wasn't sure if papa'd allow us to take the week off from going to the site.

 

So I dropped the younger kids in the middle school campus. No grumbling or bickering either. Ah, good. It was always like this during exam week anyway. I drove to our campus and went directly to my first exam. Phones were on silent mode and kept away from the exam floor. I placed it inside my bag and in my locker. After the exam, I went to drop some stuff in my locker afterwards. I had about 10 minutes before the next exam. I checked my phone. There was a text message from mama. I opened it.

 

"Luhan, if you have not made any plans this lunch, I would like to meet with you."

 

Short and simple. Mama didn't always request to have lunch with her....alone. There was something up, I just felt it. But then again, it was a rare opportunity, so I replied that I'll go and have lunch with her. 

 

I went ahead to my next exam. I met Xiumin on the way. He had different exams from mine, since we were not taking the same subjects together. I had told him that mama asked me to have lunch with her. He had said that it was a good sign. Mama probably knew the problem at hand and she may have a solution to it. I should be thankful, he said. If she knew, I just hoped she hasn't hinted to papa that there was something wrong. I would be dead even before he sets his foot back in Chinese land.

 

I tried to focus on my exams before lunch. I needed to at least get a passing grade. Papa would be disappointed if I got a score lower than 89 per cent. I know he didn't expect me to ace any exam, but he'd like to see above average scores. Luckily for me, the subjects I had today were not the ones I was challenged in. I was sure I'd pass the tests. 

 

Lunch break. Xiumin already knew I was having lunch with mama, so he won't be expecting me to be at the cafeteria. Lay and Suho would be having lunch in the middle school campus since they had their exams there today. I went to drop my things in my locker first. I sent a text to mama that I was on my way. I didn't know where she wanted to have lunch, so I waited for her reply. When she did, I wasted no time. I still had exams in the afternoon and soccer practice. I wanted to have the team in good condition before the first interschool games happening soon.

 

Mama chose a restaurant that was near the school. It was one of those old fashioned Chinese restaurants. Most people who were there were tourists and old people. I guess mama wanted to be inconspicuous. She had an agenda. I guessed she knew about my situation, and to prevent us from getting attention, she chose this place. I parked my car outside the restaurant. Mama was already here. She used the Odyssey. I went inside and looked for her. She saw me first and waved at me. She was smiling. I love to see her smile. Mama was kind of like me in a way. Most people who knew me and mama, would say that I got most of her personality. I rather was proud of that. 

 

Mama: So, how was your exams?

Me: It was...okay, I guess.

Mama: Just okay? You passed all of them, I hope?

Me: Yes, I did.

Mama: Ah, that sounds good.

Me: Yep.

Mama: Haode. Let us order first.

Me: Okay.

Mama: I have the whole afternoon off. I'm going to the pedia later after lunch.

Me: Oh, that's good ma. You should take the day off, though. You still work even after your classes.

Mama: Don't mind me, Xiao Lu. Hmmm... Seems like it's been a long time since I called you my little deer, huh?

Me: Yes, it seems that way. I'm already old mama. I got taller too. I'm no longer a little deer.

Mama: Ah, you will always be my xiao Lu.

 

I just smiled at that. Mama had a way to make me smile despite of what I was going through. She gave me a reassuring smile. It was as if she meant to say, "It's okay Lu. Whatever it is you're experiencing. Everything will come to pass." I never doubted mama, so I nodded at her. I guess she understood the nod as me getting ready to face my problem. You didn't really have to say anything for mama to know you are undergoing something. She only had to look at you and she knew. She had placed our order and went to telling me about her day in medical school. It was only a matter of months that she would finish her degree. We'd have a lady doctor in the family. Mama would have fulfilled her dream. After 18 years, she'd finally live her dream. I admired her for not giving up. Well, if mama didn't give up, I won't give up either. I will face this problem as it should be faced.

 

Our food arrived and we started lunch. I think mama was just looking for the right chance to ask me, because as we were talking while having lunch, she was able to insert her question of how I was doing.

 

Mama: So, how are you, Lu?

Me: I'm doing okay, ma.

Mama: Do not lie to me, young man. I know you are not okay.

Me: I'm not lying ma.

Mama: I know when one of my children are undergoing some difficulties. I'm your mother, you are forgetting that.

Me: Duibuqi.

Mama: Care to tell mama what is it about?

 

And I didn't have any choice but to tell her everything that's bugging me. From the part where I was driving to pick Xiao Yi up to the part where Hua Chen wanted me to list her as her bf, so she won't tell on me. Mama listened while I tell her. She did not interrupt me as I relayed my story. I could see though that her eyes went from curious to worry. After I told her everything, she nodded at first and contemplated. I felt she was weighing the odds and evens. Then she looked at me in the eye.

 

Mama: You are brave for taking this upon yourself. But I'm quite disappointed as well.

Me: I'm sorry, mama.

Mama: But here's what I think. Don't think for one second that I don't love you, but I'd rather you have told the truth and spend the night in jail because it was the right reason, than be tied to someone like this just because you were afraid. It doesn't make you less of a man to stand up for what is right, even if it meant you have to go down. You knew your papa had firmly disapproved of you being associated with the Dongs.

Me: I messed up, ma. I have asked Kris and Xiumin what I can do to break away from this.

Mama: Since you already have said yes to her, it would seem that the right thing to do is fulfill that promise. However, let me say this. If you let this thing go on for a long time and cover up your mistake, it would land you into a bigger problem.

Me: I know. So, I should break it up right away...

Mama: Yes.

Me: What if she threatens me again to post the incident online?

Mama: Then it's called blackmail. That's grounds for a legal case.

Me: And...we can file it against her?

Mama: Yes, we can. That's what I'm afraid of, actually. If your papa finds out. He'd file the case right away. But you know perfectly well that you will still suffer the consequence.

Me: Yes, I know ma. Papa will bail me out of this situation, but once out, he'd probably ship me off to military school.

Mama: He would. Would you like that?

Me: No.

Mama: I won't tell your papa about what happened. I'll try to sway his focus away from you for the time being, while you find a way to break it up with this girl. 

Me: Ma, what if I tell the truth and say that I didn't really mean to hit her and just wanted to leave the scene already?

Mama: That could help. Did you tell her that you had meant to hit her?

Me: No.

Mama: Then you don't have anything to be afraid of. You we driving behind her and she was driving recklessly. You, however, did bump her car, but it didn't leave any damages on the vehicle nor the person. She was the one who got out of the car and started name-calling and cussing. Then you tried to leave the scene instead of retaliating, but it looked like you tried to hit her because she was in the way.... I'm not tolerating you, but both of you were wrong. If you asked me, both of you should suffer the consequence. If it comes to legalities, stick to the truth. I am behind you.

Me: *exhales loudly*

Mama: Xiao Lu, I won't let anything or anyone hurt you. Or any of you. Understand?

Me: Yes, ma.

Mama: Did you say you and her will be meeting on Friday night?

Me: Yes, Friday...

Mama: Hmmm...I'd better go then. It's only right for me to meet the girl you are "dating."

Me: Maaa...it's going to be awkward.

Mama: I'd like to see her try and blackmail you in front of me.

Me: *bites lip* Uh...

Mama: That's settled, Lu. I will go with you. Your papa won't be home until Saturday, anyway.

Me: O-okay.

Mama: Don't worry dear, mama's going to get you out of this.

Me: Xiexie mama. Feichang ganxie.

Mama: Anything for my Xiao Lu.

 

And she gave me another of her sweetest smiles. I got up to give her a hug. Indeed, mothers know best. We ate the remainder of our lunch in silence. Before I got back to school for my afternoon exams, mama asked if I really needed to practice soccer that afternoon after my exams. I had told her that the first interschool games would be in a few weeks, and we needed to practice hard for it. She had wanted to spend some time with me, go to the mall and release stress. I thought about it hard and I finally said I would come. She patted me on the back and told me she'd meet me at the mall nearest home after class. I thanked mama for the time and advice, then I went back to school for the rest of the exam on that day.

 

I texted Xiumin that I had lunch with mama and that she was going to help me get out of this mess. I also told him to cover for me during soccer practice that afternoon because I was going to unwind with mama at the mall. He had replied that I need time off anyway, and to enjoy.

 


 

I got through the rest of my exams in a good mood. Mama was a real mood booster. I couldn't thank her enough. I guess I was lucky to have her as my mother. She might not always be physically present, but when she was, she made her presence worthwile. I made a mental note to treat her out sometime. I smiled the whole time I took my exams.

 

After exams, I went to meet with the soccer team for a few minutes. I told them that I needed to be somewhere for the day, so I wa letting Xiumin be in-charge for the whole practice that afternoon. I spoke to Xiumin on the side before I left for the mall. He had breathed easy, saying that he was about to tell papa that he was dating already. I told him that he didn't have to do it for me. If he wanted to tell papa, he can just tell him anytime he felt comfortable, and not because he was saving my sorry from my own stupidity. He had nodded and smiled sheepishly. 

 

Only the three of us knew he was dating. Kris and I had found out one day when he was nowhere to be found. It was sometime after his 18th birthday. The younger kids were either wreaking havoc outside the house, or were out with friends. The three of us were left at home that day. Papa had asked us to do some work for him and didn't have time to go out for leisure. As we finished the task, Kris went to the kitchen to get some snack. I had gone down to get something to eat, too. Xiumin was not in the house...or so we thought. At the old house (the one under construction), he shared the room with Lay and Kyungie. We knocked on the door but didn't get a response. We just saw him an hour before that. But after much knocking, Kris had the brightest idea. He turned the doorknob open. It was locked, so we couldn't get in. That would mean someone was inside. I got the spare keys from the safe, and carefully unlocked the door. Guess what we found? Xiumin was online with his girl on Skype. His back was to us, so he didn't see us. However, the girl saw us behind him and pointed. He turned around and blushed on the spot. Kris and I had heard the sweetest conversation before the girl noticed us behind him. Xiumin was saying, "The next time I will go to Korea, I will take you to watch the sun set." Kris had wolf whistled and the girl noticed, at the same time she pointed. Xiumin heard Kris and turned around.

 

Xiumin explained that the girl was someone his eomma had matchmade with him. She was a student at the Seoul School of Performing Arts. She was bound to be a singer or actress some day. Then he introduced us to her. She shyly waved her hand at us and smiled. We could tell she liked Xiumin. A lot. We spent about another hour just talking to her. After that, Xiumin had said that for some reason, he felt light because he wouldn't have to hide it from us any longer. At least to the three of us. He made us promise not to tell anyone else, especially papa. He had said that he would be the one to tell papa in his own time. He was just gathering up the courage to be able to face papa and tell him that he already had a girl in his heart.

 

One thing you must know. They look alike. Xiumin and her.

 

Ahn Sohee.

 

That was her name. We called her baby Xiuxiu. She had laughed at it and said that it would be best to just call her Sohee. But we told her that for us to be discreet about their relationship, it's best that we have a code name for her, and baby Xiuxiu was not something that would give her away. She smiled and nodded then.

 

Anyway, back to the present. I left the soccer field in Xiumin's hands....and feet. LOL. I felt light. I never though that telling the truth could release the stress. I was looking forward to spending stress de-briefing with mama. As I made my way to my car, I took out my phone and called her that I was on my way. Mama had said that she was just going to be five or ten minutes late as she was still attending to something at the pedia clinic. I didn't mind wating for her, it was short compared to Baekhyun taking a bath.

 

I arrived at the mall about 20 minutes later. There was not much traffic yet. It usually takes about 33 minutes to get there if there was traffic. I parked my car in the basement parking, then I made my way up the elevator. I went to look for a coffee shop where I could wait for mama. Starbucks was nearest, so I decided to wait for her there. I was sipping my cafe latte when I noticed two people across the coffee shop. I was sitting inside and there were a group of students who were blocking me from the view outside. So even if the people outside were facing the shop, they wouldn't have noticed me right away. I shifted in my seat, so as to hide myself completely from view. I had seen Hua Chen with a guy. She was fanning the guy with a pink Hello Kitty fan. They were in a pastry shop and having coffee as well. They were seated on one of the tables outside. Hmmm... Here we were, supposed to be dating and I see her with another guy? Tch.... I almost snorted. I was actually happy seeing her with another guy. That meant she was only playing with me and was not taking me seriously. That would also mean I can ditch her anytime. Then the guy shifted. 

 

Min Yoongi.

 

I knew it was him. There was no mistaking it. I shook my head and tried to focus. I took out my phone and switched the camera on. I zoomed in on the guy and confirmed my suspicions. It was indeed the oldest Min kid. What was that playing at? Was she trying to hook every firstborn so she can inherit all the money? Now, here's something I can use against her. I quickly took a picture and recorded a few minutes of video. I was smiling to myself when mama arrived. I was still looking at the unsuspecting couple across the coffee shop. I was just glad that they didn't spot me while I made my way into Starbucks. Mama saw me and she went to sit across me. She eyed me suspiciously because of my mischievous smile.

 

Mama: You look happier. Hmm...

Me: Yes. Xiexie mama. I finally see the light.

Mama: Amidst the darkness, even just a tiny ray of light reflected from outside, it's enough to give us hope that there is something bigger and better outside. Just follow the light and you'll be free from the darkness.

Me: Wow ma, that's deep.

Mama: Your mama has studied philosophy, dear.

 

And she laughed. It was easy talking to mama more than papa. With papa, you have to be proper. It was rarely that papa joked around. Most of the time, he talked business. Even if it was something for the house. It was always like we were his business colleagues, instead of children. But we have gotten used to it. I decided not to tell mama I saw Hua Chen with Yoongi. But then again, mama shoud know. I made a mental note to tell her as soon as we were home. There was no way we'd be talking about problems that time. It was time to relax.

 

After coffee, mama led me to a jewelry store. I followed her like a lost puppy. She bought something for papa. She had said that it woud take papa's mind away from interrogating us for a while. Papa liked shiny stuff. Mama bought him a new watch and some silver cuff-links. I thought that papa might have been a magpie bird in his past life, because he liked shiny things. LOL.

 

After the jewelry store, mama led me to MCM and told me to pick any bag I wanted. I had wanted a new laptop case, so I went to look for one. She had gone to admiring a backpack for Xiao Yi and asked if little sister would love it. Of course, I said yes. Little sister liked simple stuff. The backpack would make her happy. Then mama thought about the others. She had said that Sehun might sulk if he didn't get anything. I helped mama pick stuff for everyone else. Even Kris who was in Japan. She said that once he returns, she'd give it to him. We went from store to store. I had fun shopping with mama. I didn't know it would be fun. Well, maybe because I was able to let my frustrations out and got to breathe easy.

 

Mama received a call and had to go back to the pedia. She said to just bring the shopping bags in the Odyssey. She had wanted to give them later. I helped put them in the car and she went ahead back to the pedia. I thought I would still be able to make the last hour of soccer practice, so I went back to school. However, they were wrapping up the game already, so I just waited until they finished. Xiumin had looked at me sideways and raised an eyebrow. Yeah, I looked too happy to be real.

 

I was happy. I already knew what I had to do to break away from Hua Chen. Mama was going to help me, but I had something more up my sleeve.

 

However, I pity Min Yoongi. He had to be warned.

 



 

Mama Wu and Xiao Lu shopping a.k.a. stress de-briefing. LOL. I might do a double update, just because I feel like doing one. I hope I finish it before I'm supposed to be offline. LOL.   加油! ♥♥♥  吳愛你們!我愛你們!