Skype

Th13teen

 

Mama had wondered why I suddenly fell. I didn't actually fell on the floor. I just had to sit down for a while and rest my head on the kitchen counter. Suho patted my head as he placed a big bowl on the counter and got some eggs and flour. Luhan went to poke my cheek.

 

Luhan: Hey, you okay?

Me: Huh?

Luhan: You just-

Me: I'm okay. I just need to rest.

Mama: Leave your sister, Luhan.

Luhan: Hmm.

 

I drummed my fingers on the kitchen counter as I watched Suho get the cake mix. He looked at the ingredients on the table and placed his hands on his waist.

 

Suho: Now what?

Mama: Follow the recipe, dear.

Suho: This is easier with Lay or Kyungsoo around.

Mama: You can't ask them to do that for you now.

Suho: Unfortunately.

 

And his shook his head slightly and placed his hands together and stretched it.

 

Suho: Well, it's now or never, Junmian.

 

I just chuckled and saw him struggle with the cake mix. Hehehe. I had to stop "resting" and help him.

 

Baek woke up a few minutes later. His eyes wandered to the kitchen when he got a whiff of the food cooking. Papa had gone to help Sehun and Tao finish decorating the tree and arranging the gifts under it. He now sat on the armchair admiring the tree. Tao had sank onto the nearest couch and counted the gifts. Sehun went to sit beside Baek. The older scratched his head and rubbed his eyes.

 

Baek: Is it time to eat?

Sehun: It's just half past four, ge.

Baek: I thought it's evening already.

Sehun: Nope. It's still early.

Papa: Where do you wanna go tomorrow?

Sehun: I wanna go...hmmm...

Tao: Let's go watch a movie, pa.

Baek: Yeah, let's?

Sehun: What's a good movie to watch?

Baek: I don't know. Lemme check.

Tao: There's the last installment of The Hobbit trilogy.

Sehun: Sure?

Tao: Yep.

Papa: Okay. Go and buy those tickets online.

Baek: I'm on it!

 

And he got up to get his laptop.

 

We finished preparing the food before dinner. Papa had called the grandparents, both his and mama's parents, and wished them a happy Christmas. Around dinner, the boys who were in Korea made a video call again. Baek had placed his laptop beside him on the table. Kai and Kris also did a video call shortly after the ones in Korea did. They thanked me for the gifts I gave them but promised not to open them until later tonight.

 

Lay and Chanyeol were the noisiest bunch when they called. They were also at the dinner table at Chanyeol's mom's house. His older sister was there too. His mom preferred not to appear in front of the camera. Lay had talked a lot about the past few days he had spent in Korea with Chanyeol. They had met up with the others, Xiumin, Kyungsoo and Chen. He also said that they got to hang out with Sohee the day before. Chanyeol just grinned and nodded enthusiastically. He had disappeared from the frame for a few seconds, then appeared holding the gift I gave him. He held it between his palms and shook it. He asked what it was and promised he didn't peek.

 

It was different from Chen, when he called. He had shown me that he tried to pry open the gift before midnight. I had to frown and he laughed at me. They had just finished their dinner and was in his mom's music school. There was a sort of music show that night. We wished them good luck as well.

 

Kyungsoo was all smiles as he waved at us from his room. He said he just finished helping his mom at the kitchens and his grandparents from his mom's side were there to visit this Christmas. He also picked up my gift and promised me he'd open it later at midnight. He sang a line from a Christmas song and said he already missed us. I almost teared up again. I missed my brothers already.

 

Xiumin was serious. The oldie in him showed a lot. He was formal half of the time he spoke to us. He did mention that him and the other boys had spent some time with Sohee the other day. Papa reminded him to make sure that the younger boys were well taken care of while in Korea. I had to frown. Papa was unreasonable sometimes. My brothers were with their moms. How could they not be safe? Nevertheless, Xiumin promised him he'd do his responsibility. Mama contradicted papa by telling Xiumin to just enjoy his holiday and not think about anything else and that the boys are sure okay with their moms.

 

Kai had locked himself in his hotel room because he didn't wanna go down to party with his mom's friends. He said that one of the younger models had shown a liking to him and he felt violated somehow. Papa looked horrified when Kai mentioned it. I bet he was already thinking of fetching Kai from Japan. I felt like he didn't really like MK's choice of friends and their influence on Kai. Papa just muttered and nodded as Kai told us of his plans for the next day. He hoped he could spend the whole day with his mom without the "other people."

 

Kris was loving Singapore. Of course. Anywhere he went with his mom, he loved. His mom even made a cameo and waved at us. And unlike MK, mama was civil with Miss L. She didn't really frown or anything. She actually smiled and waved back at Miss L. Kris had shown us wrapped gifts and he said it was his gifts for us and he'll come round to giving it to us once he returns from Singapore.

 

 


 

 

After dinner, we had to help clear the table and wash the dishes. Luhan got the dishes and he asked Baek to help him. Suho had cleared the table with me. Tao and Sehun were asked to help with preparing for later. Mama was on top of things. Papa went to sit at the living room and turned the TV on. He usually just watched the news, but this time, he flipped the channels to watch a movie.

 

After our chores, we all went to sit by papa in the living room to watch the movie with him. He was watching a Christmas themed movie. How the Grinch Stole Christmas. A rather old movie, but we watched it all the same. Mama kept making side comments about how ugly the Grinch was and that it wasn't hard to understand why the people in the village didn't like him. He was already ugly outside and he was uglier inside. Papa just chuckled everytime mama commented.

 

We were all snuggled in one couch. Papa and mama in the middle. Sehun beside mama. Luhan beside papa, Suho, Baek, Tao and me on the floor by mama and papa's feet. Baek had turned off the lights to make it look like we were watching from the cinema. To be honest, it was better if we watched in the media room, because that was its purpose, but we didn't really mind this time. We just enjoyed the movie.

 

After the movie, someone made a comment that made a difference.

 

Sehun: The Grinch reminds me of someone.

Mama: Who?

Sehun: Papa's boss.

Papa: Now...why...?

Sehun: Just saying, papa.

Mama: Your son has a point, Ah-Zun.

Papa: Point?

Mama: Don't say anything okay? Let your son talk for once. Go on dear.

 

And Sehun aired his side.

 

Sehun: Well, he's already rich. What I understand from the movie, is that...the Grinch was envious of what the other people have because they didn't like him. He did something to get even. He was greedy. And...well...just my opinion papa...your boss...is kinda...greedy too. It's just a matter of time until his employees see that.

Mama: I agree with your son.

Papa: He has a name to protect. If he settled for mediocrity, his clients won't be satisfied.

Luhan: But isn't it bad though...? Like how the saying goes that anything too much is bad?

Suho: Too much money is bad?

Luhan: Exactly.

Suho: At the expense of other people. Like work their butts off just to acquire more money. Yeah.

Mama: See? Your sons are exactly right.

Papa: Hmmm...

Tao: Can I speak?

Papa: Hao ba.

Tao: He even went as far as letting you...agree...to...an arrangement with his son....and Xiao Yi.

Sehun: He's definitely like the Grinch. He's taking all what we have. He wants to keep you, so he wants Xiao Yi, too.

Mama: What can you say, Wu Zun?

Baek: Let's just focus on the Phuket resort. Uh....please?

Luhan: That's what we're going to be studying in London for, anyway.

Suho: I think it's a good idea too.

Tao: And you can stay home longer.

Sehun: And Xiao Yi won't have to marry Taeyong.

Tao: She gets to marry Taehyung!

Sehun: No. Jungkook.

Me: I'm not marrying anyone.

Mama: Shush... Let's hear what your papa thinks.

 

We all looked at papa and he chewed on his lower lip as he thought of what to say. He looked at us one by one and leaned back. He raised both hands up as if to say, "I surrender!" Mama raised an eyebrow which made me think of how Luhan raised his eyebrow when he was suspicious.

 

Papa: It's not easy as one, two three, you know. Trying to get out of Soo Kui's clutches. I've been working for him for like what-almost eight years?

Mama: Mm-hmm..

Papa: Youmei, you and I have talked about this already.

Mama: But your children don't know?

Papa: Alright.

 

He took a deep breath and sighed loudly.

 

Mama: We're waiting.

Papa: I'm just giving it another year with the company and I'm planning to be full time with the Thailand resort. There's a new business venture that I and Jaejoong are cooking up. And when I say cooking up, I mean about cooking.

Luhan: Like a restaurant?

Papa: Yes. We met with the business partner prospect a few days ago.

Me: That one where we...

Papa: Yes, lunch with the Kims.

 

Ah, so that explained it. There was no mention of Soo Kui company at that time. Papa and Mr. Kim was having a business deal outside the company.

 

Papa: Kyung-hoon's starting a cafe business in a few months as well. I think now that his wife is having their fifth baby, he's gonna want to focus more on his family. They're doing very well with the import business, so he's not really that dependent on Soo Kui.

 

Taehyung's family was into import business? I didn't know that. Wow. That meant they dealt with other countries. What kind of stuff did they import anyway?

 

Suho: Import business?

Papa: Yes. They're the ones who supply the Korean food industry here in Beijing eversince they migrated.

Mama: Top one there is.

Papa: So, Jaejoong and I were thinking to have them supply our restaurant business. They also import Japanese spices. I think we can make it outside Soo Kui. Jaejoong is actually looking for a vacant lot where we could start building the first branch of the restaurant.

Sehun: That means Xiao Yi won't have to choose between Taeyong and Jungkook.

Luhan: Seems to be it.

Suho: Isn't it, pa?

Papa: Ah, that. I can't decide on that.

Luhan: Why?

Papa: I already gave my word and if I went back on it, it would make me look bad.

Suho: But if you're quitting Soo Kui's company, then wouldn't it be like going back on your word...?

Papa: My plan to resign is not because of Xiao Yi or anyone. I merely want to pursue our own family business. Having Xiao Yi and Taeyong together would help the family and business as well.

Sehun: But isn't she...also...promised to Jungkook?

Tao: And wouldn't it help the family and business too?

Mama: Get out of that one, Wu Zun.

 

Mama kept her eyebrow raised and looked at papa. Papa closed his eyes and thought long and hard. His answer was not what we could call satisfying.

 

Papa: It's Xiao Yi's choice. Whoever she chooses, I will respect.

Mama: You didn't answer the question, dear.

Papa: You're ganging up on me.

 

And papa pouted. I had to cover my face as I snorted. It was unexpected. I swear papa heard me snort because he looked at me and was about to scold me. Baek and Tao's laughter prevented him from scolding me. I looked away, holding my laughter.

 

Tao: Hao ke'ai! Papa! Hahaha!

Baek: Shuaiqi papa-ahhh!

 

Luhan and Suho looked at each other and had to hide a laugh. But Sehun didn't see why the two were laughing.

 

Sehun: What's funny?

Tao: You didn't see papa's aegyo?

Sehun: No.

Baek: You missed half of your life.

Sehun: Papa, can I see it?

 

And Luhan and Suho weren't able to hold it anymore. They burst out laughing. Mama had to start laughing then. She asked papa to do the pout again and papa shook his head and rolled his eyes.

 

Baek: It's going as my Facebook status!

Tao: Me too!

Papa: Now, boys...

Mama: Shush, Wu Zun. It's Christmas anyway.

Papa: And let the whole world know?

Mama: Don't be a Grinch.

 

Hahahahahaha!

 

I saw Baek got up from the floor and pulled his laptop nearer which was on the coffee table. He logged in to his account and started typing. Tao had gone online on his phone. Luhan and Suho tried to hide their laughter but papa had looked at them and they could no longer hide it.

 

Papa: Luhan, this is not going on your account. Suho, you either.

Luhan: I'm not, pa.

Suho: Uhm..

Papa: Promise me.

Suho: Promise. *snorts*

Papa: Xiao Yi...

Me: I haven't.

Papa: And don't even think about it.

Me: *shakes head vigorously*

Mama: But I'm telling my friends.

Papa: Youmei...

 

Hahahahaha!

 

 


 

 

Eleven thirty.

 

Less than an hour.

 

I was downstairs lounging in the living room with Luhan and Baek. They have been singing songs as Baek played them on the piano. Tao had gone upstairs to his room to sleep. He had told us to wake him up when it was time for us to open our gifts at midnight. Sehun and Suho were in the kitchen tasting everything that was prepared for midnight. Papa had gone to get the fireworks. Mama went to their room to rest for a while.

 

I kept checking my phone's time. I didn't wanna be late for my Skype...with Jungkook. I knew I had to be downstairs by that time as well. It was the time to open gifts and light the fireworks.

 

I stealthily got up from the living room couch and went up the stairs.

 

I went to my room and got my laptop. I placed it on my desk and powered it on.

 

Was he already online?

 

Why did he just reply today anyway?

 

I only replied "Okay" earlier and didn't ask much. I was both excited and confused that time, so I didn't bother to ask him anything.

 

Ah, laptop was on. I double-clicked the Skype icon.

 

Wait. Did he even know my Skype ID?

 

Right.

 

There was already a request from Jungkook. I clicked to accept it. He was not in front of his computer. I could only see the bedroom wall and some of his stuff. He probably stationed his computer in one corner that was off from view of the door.

 

I kept forgetting I had friends who were over-supportive of this crush thingy. I had to give it to Ling Yan or Yue. Shana was out of the country, so she was not a suspect. But I more than suspected Ling Yan than Yue. Even if Yue spent more time with Jimin, Ling Yan was the one who cheered on Jungkook when it came to me.

 

I checked my time. It was ten minutes to midnight. I waited in front of the laptop. He still didn't appear. I could hear faint music coming from outside of his room and heard J's voice calling Jimin. Then I had to check my reflection in the mirror. I didn't wanna look like a witch when he came online. As I was brushing my hair, I heard a knock on my door.

 

Geez. Why knock now?

 

The door opened a bit and Luhan's head poked in.

 

Luhan: Xiao Yi? Ready to open gifts?

Me: Uhm...I'll be down in a few. I'm just going to...change...

Luhan: Okay. We're going to be out by the pool to light the fireworks first, then open the gifts.

Me: Okay. Thanks Lu ge.

 

I had to improvise. Urghh...It meant I wouldn't be able to watch the fireworks outside. But whatever. I wanted to ask him why he didn't talk to me this past few days.

 

Luhan closed the door again and I heard him walk down the stairs. I finished brushing my hair and turned to look at the laptop monitor.

 

Jungkook was on screen, he was biting his lower lip.

 

Oh.

 

Did he hear-?

 

JK: Uhm...

Me: Hi.

JK: Were you...going to change?

Me: Oh.

 

Realization hit me. He was already online when I was talking to Luhan. I slapped my forehead.

 

Pabo Xiao Yi.

 

Me: Uhm..not really.

JK: Hmm...

Me: I just wanted Luhan to...well, go away...?

JK: *chuckles* Okay. I thought you were, because, I...uh...was going to ask you to turn your laptop facing the wall...or something.

Me: Uhm..

 

.

 

Changing in front of Jungkook.

 

I was going to die if it happened.

 

I absentmindedly fixed my hair. Even if it didn't need fixing.

 

JK: So... Merry Christmas.

Me: Thanks. Merry Christmas too,

JK: I couldn't give you your gift now, because...well, I was planning to give it, but...it'll have to wait until first day back at school.

Me: It's okay. Same here, actually.

JK: What do you mean?

Me: I have a gift for you, but...

JK: Oh.

Me: Yeah.

JK: Thanks.

Me: Thanks too.

JK: You're welcome.

Me: You're welcome too.

 

This was not the kind of conversation I was expecting. It felt like he was being careful of what to say. It felt like he wanted to say something but was trying to figure out a way to say it without getting everything all out. IDK. I just felt like he was having a hard time expressing himself.

 

And I had to ask.

 

I just couldn't let it pass anymore.

 

Me: Can I ask you something?

JK: Okay.

 

He didn't look okay, though.

 

Me: Why haven't you talked to me the past few days? I mean, I sent you a message and you just replied this afternoon.

JK: I was...busy.

Me: With?

JK: Just busy...

Me: Okay.

JK: I meant to send you a reply right away, but...I sort of...fell asleep that time.

Me: Okay.

JK: Yeah.

Me: How's Christmas dinner anyway?

JK: It was cool. First time spending Christmas in Beijing.

Me: Glad you liked it.

JK: Yeah.

 

Why did it feel awkward?

 

Grrrrrrr!

 

I'm having none of this passive Jungkook anymore!

 

Me: Are you...avoiding me?

JK: Huh?

Me: I feel like you're avoiding me.

JK: I'm not. Honest.

Me: Are you being honest?

JK: I am.

Me: Why do I feel like you're hiding something from me?

JK: I'm just tired, I think. I helped prepare Christmas dinner today.

Me: Alright. Aren't you supposed to be out there and opening your gifts with them?

JK: I'll go after this.

Me: Hmm...

JK: I just wanted to see you first.

 

Ouch.

 

Ouch.

 

My kokoro.

 

Someone hold me please.

 

*hyperventilate*

 

I had to look away and cover my face. I pretended to comb my hair with my fingers. I slowly looked back at the monitor. He had his head bowed down. He was playing with his fingers. I used that time just watching him do nothing. Well, if fidgeting was nothing, then it was nothing.

 

Then I heard him hum Haruman again.

 

Haruman neowa naega hamkkehal su itdamyeon
Haruman neowa naega sonjabeul su itdamyeon
Haruman neowa naega hamkkehal su itdamyeon

Haruman...


The part where it stung my heart so much.

 

Then without so much as a warning, he looked up and caught me staring at him. He smiled that smile of his that included his eyes smiling. Like he was giggling. And he did that side smile.

 

.

 

Are you trying to kill me?

 

JK: My Christmas is complete.

Me: Hmm?

JK: Actually, I just need one more thing.

Me: What is it?

JK: I wanna see you smile.

Me: You ignored me too much for me to give you a smile.

JK: Xiao Yi-ah, mianhaeyo.

 

He tilted his head and made a face. Then he placed his fists beside his cheeks and rubbed them as he bit his lower lip with a pout.

 

Bbuing bbuing!

 

Aegyo.

 

Damn.

 

I had to smile.

 

JK: That's it. Gwiyeowo!

Me: Sheesh...

JK: I'm sorry.

Me: Don't ignore me again.

JK: I won't.

Me: Promise me.

JK: I promise.

Me: Good.

JK: Dui, wo shi hao de nanren.

Me: You're Chinese is good.

JK: Xiexie

Me: Bie keqi.

 

He laughed. The way he crinkled his nose as he laughed made me stare at him more.

 

"Xiao Yi! Ni zai nali?"

 

I could hear Luhan calling downstairs.

 

Uh-oh.

 

Me: I..uhm...gotta go. Luhan's calling already.

JK: Oh. Okay.

Me: Happy Christmas again. Just greet your family for me.

JK: Yup, I will. I'm going down for the fireworks.

Me: Me too.

JK: Well, then...let's talk later?

Me: Yes, sure.

 

"Xiao Yi?"

 

It was Baek and Tao calling for me now.

 

JK: You better go.

Me: Hmmm...

 

I waved at him and smiled. He waved back and I wasn't expecting it, but he made a heart sign with his fingers. I made a face at him. He just chuckled and nodded.

 

I left my laptop on and went out of the room.

 

Downstairs...the boys and papa had already lighted some fireworks and were lighting the third batch. Mama just watched them. The neighbors were also lighting fireworks and the skies were filled with whistles, booms, bangs and awesome pyrotechnics.

 

Luhan: I thought you were going to change?

Me: Did I say that?

Luhan: You did.

Me: I....fell asleep?

Luhan: *sigh*

 

I grinned at him sheepishly. Luhan had better not know what kept me long upstairs.

 

Nobody kill my buzz, juseyo.

 

It's Christmas.

 

*Giggles*

 



Merry Christmas! Althought it's a tad bit early for me to greet you. LOL. Anyway, I'm almost unable to login and update because I will be busy these next coming days. I'll try to update as soon as I can log back in. I hope you understand. ^_^   → 사랑해요! ♥♥♥ 我愛你們!吴愛你們!

The smile from Jungkook that I love. Side smile, then looks away, and when he crinkles his nose, kinda like this →  xD