Epilogue: One Love

Eternal Flame

Hyunjoong, now an elderly vampire, lay on his death bed. Hyungjun stood beside the hospital bed and looked down at him with a soft gaze. Hyunjoong sighed shakily, his breathing no longer stable as he stared blankly at the ceiling. Almost a thousand years had passed ever since that day Youngsaeng's body had been encased in a block of ice, the day he had sealed the nine-tailed fox.

The old vampire, his hair now long and grey, his skin wrinkled and pale, turned his head slightly and looked out the window. He gazed outside, seeing that white nine-tailed fox walking towards him through the glass. It jumped down and landed on him silently, feeling not even an ounce of weight. Hyungjun couldn't see it but Hyunjoong, even with his blurry eyesight, could see the fox perfectly well.

The door of the room slid open and in stepped Kyujong followed closely by Jungmin. They were all already grey-haired, their skin rough and loose but they had longer to live than Hyunjoong. He had used up all his life-preserving magic in him during the seal a thousand years ago.

"Hyunjoong..." Kyujong started quietly, shuffling closer to him. "Are you happy now?"

Hyunjoong looked back up at the ceiling. "I still think about him..." he rasped with his sore throat. "He's still here..." His hand trembled as he reached over his chest and patted the area where his heart was.

Jungmin smiled gently and reached out his hand, taking Hyunjoong's frail wrist. "After a thousand years... Don't you think you've waited long enough? Suffered long enough?"

"Dad?" another voice came in from the door.

Hyunjoong glanced over to see Hyunsaeng hurrying into the hospital. Hyungjun moved aside to let the adult vampire move beside his father. "Appa... You're not leaving, are you?"

The latter looked back at the white fox who was staring at him with his large, silver glassy eyes. Hyunjoong's crusted lips curled up. "Hyunsaeng-ah..." His arm reached up and cupped the tiny marble necklace he and Youngsaeng had given their son almost a thousand years ago.

Hyunsaeng looked down at the flame and bent down. "What do you want to say? Is there something wrong with this?"

Shaking his head slowly, Hyunjoong opened his mouth. "I promised... that I would tell you... about your mother when the time came..." The latter's eyes widened and he quickly shot up, looking at his father in shock. "My... mother?"

The old vampire nodded and looked over at Hyungjun, gesturing him over with his eyes. His hand shook over to his other hand, gently slipping off one of the golden rings on his marriage finger and he passed it over to his son. "Here... This is your mother's ring... His name was Heo Youngsaeng..."

"His?" echoed Hyunsaeng. "My mom was guy?"

"You were adopted," Hyungjun filled in, reluctant to let the older man speak. "The boy your dad loved took you from the streets and Hyunjoong decided to keep you."

Hyunsaeng narrowed his eyes. "How come... I don't remember anything about it?"

"Here," Hyungjun said as he placed his cold hand onto the halfblood's forehead and closed his eyes. A white glow flashed and Hyunsaeng's eyes suddenly snapped wide open. The elder nodded slowly. "I just gave you back your memories."

The halfblood was on the verge of tears as he looked back into his past, suddenly being able to see the one he called "Mommy" almost one thousand years ago. It had been so long and he realized how much his father really had loved this boy.

Hyunjoong smiled softly and he looked over at the nine-tailed fox, his smile growing warm when he saw someone appear at his bed side dressed in a white, silken robe, his black hair shining and his skin pale and smooth. His cross earrings dangled from both his ears as he was smiling, his cute symmetrical dimples on either side of his cheeks.

"Youngsaeng..." the old vampire whispered with a soft sigh.

The boy looked the same as before, still young and beautiful. Reaching out, he gently took Hyunjoong's bony hand into his warm ones and grinned. Kyujong noticed that tears had begun to trickle down Hyunjoong's face and he quickly grabbed a napkin, helping him wipe the crystal droplets.

Jungmin huffed and smirked sorrowfully. "I guess he's here to pick him up..."

Youngsaeng sat on the bed beside the elderly man and bent down, gently pressing his lips onto the latter's. Hyunjoong's eyes fluttered closed and he felt his conciousness seep away. Finally, his whole body relaxed and went limp without another shudder or sound. Hyunsaeng swallowed his tears back as he forced a smile.

"He's happy now," Kyujong murmured, also holding back his welling tears. "He can finally be at peace..."

Without warning, an angelic voice chimed in their ears, saying, "Thank you."

Hyungjun shook his head. "No... We should thank you."

Hearing the man's utters, Youngsaeng smiled and turned to his love who was standing beside him, holding his hand tightly. Hyunjoong now looked the same as a thousand years ago, when he and Youngsaeng were in love. Their spirits were still young and full of passion. Hyunjoong grinned, leaning in and connecting their lips softly.

"Shall we go?" Youngsaeng asked sweetly.

The older boy looked back at their son and friends before nodding and squeezing Youngsaeng's hand even tighter.

"Yeah, let's go."