Midnight Date

Eternal Flame

The next day, after Hyunjoong and Youngsaeng arrived back from the sea, the vampire brought his boyfriend over to a garden behind the school. A large fountain stood in the middle where the walkway encircled around it. The water reflected the white moonlight, making is sparkle and shine. Youngsaeng stared at in wonder. "I didn't know a place like this existed."

"Now you know that it does," Hyunjoong said with a smile as they approached the fountain. He slipped off his shoes and his socks, rolling up his pants.

Youngsaeng looked at him. "What are you doing?"

The latter beckoned him to do the same. The boy took off his shoes and socks, rolling up his pants. He followed Hyunjoong, climbing onto edge of the fountain. He placed his feet into the water. It was cool and refreshing.

"It feels nice, doesn't it?" Hyunjoong asked with a sigh, inhaling deeply. The only sounds were the water running and the rustling of the leaves. The comfortable silence made shivers go down Youngsaeng's spine as it just seemed too good to be true. Like a dream.

Hyunjoong glanced at Youngsaeng, his pale skin seemed to glow in the moonlight as he showed a faint smile, his eyes closed. The older boy leaned in and kissed the latter gently, surprising him.

"I don't want this to ever end," Hyunjoong murmured, leaning his head onto Youngsaeng's shoulder.

The younger boy smiled. "Don't think about that and just live in the moment. Enjoy it, savor it, and never forget it. Once one second passes, the previous second becomes merely a memory. The words we speak won't be repeated, will always be different somehow no matter how we say it. Whether it be loving, angry, sad, or happy, the words will always mean the same."

Hyunjoong giggled. "So profound. Saengie."

"Neh?"

"Look closely inside fountain."

The latter looked at the fountain and past the gentle waterfall of the falling water. Within all the layer of liquid in front of it, there was a flame inside, flickering faintly, being covered by the water. Hyunjoong smiled. "That fire has been lit ever since," he whispered. "It symbolizes hope and love for us, vampires. This fire will continue to burn and it will never burn out."

Youngsaeng closed his eyes and felt the pulse of the flame. It was alive, its pulse steady and strong as it flickered. Like a heartbeat. He sighed and moved his feet around in the cool water, creating soft ripples following his feet. He looked down at the water and his heart stopped when he saw his reflection. It was the fox, grinning evilly back at him. He blinked and he saw himself again.

Hyunjoong yawned and sat up straight again. He hummed randomly to himself out of boredom.

"Do you want to get out now?" Youngsaeng asked as he stood up. Hyunjoong nodded and they both got out, deciding to just walk barefoot around the garden. Carrying their shoes in one hand and holding on each other's hands with the other, they strolled around the garden calmly. "Hyunjoong-ah..."

"Hmm?"

"I love you."

Hyunjoong smiled and kissed his lover. "Me, too."

"Don't ever forget, arasseo? I will never stop loving you no matter what happens," Youngsaeng told him with a cute smile. "I mean it."

The latter grinned back, wrapping his arm around the younger boy's shoulders. "I won't forget. Don't worry."

Youngsaeng reached up and pressed his lips against his boyfriend's softly. Hyunjoong returned it, tilting his head and closing his eyes  with a slight smile in the kiss. He stuck his tongue into the Youngsaeng's mouth and started to intertwine their tongues. The younger boy moaned quietly. The two broke away a while later, panting.

Hyunjoong grinned at Youngsaeng. "Let's walk around a little more."

The latter nodded. "Arasseo~"

As they strolled away from the fountain, Youngsaeng looked back and glanced at the flame, still glowing from within the fountain.