50, 000 Years

Eternal Flame

"The nine-tailed fox... was created about 50,000 years ago by an exorcist named Stella Fairchild."

"By an exorcist?" Taemin exclaimed in disbelief. "Seriously?"

"At that time, exorcists were enemies of the vampires," Youngsaeng told them and put his hand on top of Hyunjoong's, to feel a little bit of comfort while he was speaking. "She absolutely despised vampires and so, she wanted to rid the world of them, creating the spell of the nine-tailed fox."

"But how come you're the nine-tailed fox?" Hyungjun asked, wide-eyed.

Youngsaeng continued to speak."She didn't take in the spell. Instead, she gave it to another family line. Since she did not tell them the true purpose of the fox, the family became known as the "cursed" one and the fox, which was originally white, became black."

"Wait..." Jonghyun interrupted. "What was this known as before?"

"The nine-tailed fox that Stella described was seen as a heavenly gift but when the family actually saw their child being born as a fox, they freaked out and threw him into the wild."

"Did he survive?" Key asked carefully as he began biting nervously on his pillow, in which he was hugging.

"Yes, of course he did," Youngsaeng replied. "The nine-tailed fox started out helpless, as a cute, harmless, black ball of fluff. But what made it different from other cubs was that it was purely black and that it had no tails."

Everyone gasped in surprise.

"Every 5 generations, every about 500 years, the nine-tailed fox would be reborn in that same family, growing one tail each time."

"But that would mean that the growth ended in 5000 years right?" Onew remarked.

"Be quiet and let him talk," Key hissed, slapping the latter lightly on the back.

Youngsaeng nodded and took another deep breath. "Yeah, Onew's right. The growth of the tails did end 5000 years ago but then it began growing larger in size, also increasing the length of the tails. Each generation, he would become bigger. The humans never bothered him since they couldn't see him but the vampires and exorcists saw him as a threat somewhere around the 50th generations and so, they began to hunt him down and kill him whenever he was reborn. That was when the two joined together. In order to defeat the nine-tailed fox."

"But exorcists hated vampires and since the nine-tailed fox's purpose was to kill the vampires, then why didn't they join the nine-tailed fox?" Jonghyun questioned in puzzlement.

"Because with the nine-tailed fox born, the world increased in spirit magic and the demons got stronger."

"So the exoricsts also needed the vampires' help to kill demons, right?" Hyungjun remarked.

"Youngsaeng, do you want water?" Hyunjoong asked the boy but he shook his head.

The boy continued. "Near the end of his life in the 97th generation, he discovered what the creator had made him for. His sole purpose was to hunt down those that were seen as a threat to humans. Vampires."

"So the nine-tailed fox kills vampires because he was ordered to?" Kyujong exclaimed in shock. "Not because they taste the best or something?"

"The 97th generation was already old so the 98th and 99th generations continued his will, killing all vampires that came into sight and tracking down more. The last generation nearly wiped out the vampires before he died."

"Then the 100th generation..." Jungmin began as he paled.

Youngsaeng sighed and nodded. "That's right. The 100th generation nine-tailed fox is me. And I am probably going to be the last generation. The 99th generations was somehow killed. Now, it's impossible to kill the nine-tailed fox once it has taken its form."

"Eh? Why?" Hyungjun asked.

"He... has developed a defense mechanism that automatically turns on if anybody tries to attack him, or basically, me. It's impenetrable."

"What? How?" the brunette questioned again.

"It's the same idea of how people evolve and adapt to different environments," Youngsaeng explained. "Except the nine-tailed fox learns and adapt much faster. I'm sorry Taemin, Minho, Onew, Key, and Jonghyun, I'm sincerely sorry for you losses, I really didn't mean to kill them. It was because they came and attacked me that they were killed. It was because of the defense mechanism."

"But that doesn't change the fact that you were the one that caused their deaths," Taemin protested. "They didn't have to die!"

Key slapped him again. "Taemin, stop being so childish. Youngsaeng didn't mean it at all, how was he supposed to control when it was the nine-tailed fox who had done it. Don't go blaming him for everything just because Sulli died. How about us, Krystal, Amber, Victoria, and Luna were all killed. We're not acting like you, are we?"

"Key's right, Taemin," Minho sighed. "We're grieving for them but it's not like there's anything we can do."

"Why are you all turning against me?" Taemin screamed and got up, tears beginning to stream down his face. "What have I done wrong? It's all Youngsaeng's fault! Nothing's going to change that! He's a MURDERER!!!"

Youngsaeng looked up at him and was about to chase after the boy who had dashed out of the room but Jonghyun stopped him.

"It's alright. Leave him. He just needs some time to recollect his thoughts," Onew told him and Hyunjoong got Youngsaeng to sat down again.

"Continue on with the nine-tailed fox," Key told him, crossing his legs and putting his pillow in his lap. 

"But there's no more to say," Youngsaeng remarked.

"Wait, but didn't you say that those who are the nine-tailed fox are born as the nine-tailed fox?" Hyungjun pointed out. "Why are you human?"

"My mother and father knew about this curse and so, sacrificed themselves to seal him into this rosario," Youngsaeng told them, pointing at the cross he had on. "The seal breaks when I turn 18, though, and the nine-tailed fox will come out and find all the vampires in the world, killing them all and slashing through any exorcist he comes across."

"What happens if every vampire dies?" Kyujong asked, slightly unsure.

"Then the curse of the nine-tailed fox is released from the world."

Everyone was silent. Hyunjoong grabbed Youngsaeng's arm. "Come with me."

The younger boy nodded and trailed after him out of the room. Hyunjoong turned around to face the boy once they were alone. "Was there something else you wanted to tell me?"

Youngsaeng leaned against the wall. "After all that research I did about the nine-tailed fox, none of the books told me anything useful. It's so strange. All I had to do was think about how normal people died and it suddenly came to me. I... I want to tell you this one and only possible way to kill the nine-tailed fox before it takes its real form. If you do this, the chain will also be broken and the nine-tailed fox will not be reborn again."

"Why are you telling it only to me?"

Youngsaeng took a deep breath. "Because only those who are precious to me, such as Kyujong, Hyungjun, Jungmin, Onew, and the others, only they are able to attack me."

"Then you should tell them, too."

"However, only those who have drank my blood are able to kill."