Unforgettable

Eternal Flame

Two days later, a young vampire girl stepped into the school with four others. Hyunjoong grinned when he saw his fiance, the other boys except Hyungjun also running to their girlfriends.

"Nicole!" he exclaimed, dashing over as if he had known her from a very long time ago and actually had real memories of bring with her.

"Hyunjoong~" chimed the girl with a wide grin. 

The two pecked each other on the cheek before Hyunjoong dragged the cute girl away from the others and led her to his room where Hyunsaeng was waiting. Nicole beamed when she saw the little halfblood. 

"Hyunsaeng, sorry I didnt come back for so long," apologized Nicole, picking up the toddler. 

Strangely, Hyunsaeng seemed confused and struggled to get out of Nicole's grip, even if it meant falling onto the ground hard. Nicole quickly let her son down before he actually fell. 

"Hyunsaengie? What's wrong?" The girl questioned. 

Hyunjoong's eyebrows knotted slightly when he recognized that name. "Saengie...?" He echoed quietly. Nicole turned to him. "Did you say something?"

With a crooked smile, the older boy shook his head. Nicole turned back to the young boy, pinching his adorable round cheeks. "Aigoo~ so cute."

"You were wondering where she was," Hyunjoong reminded the toddler. Hyunsaeng shook his head. "Ani."

The coupled looked at each other before turning back to Hyunsaeng. 

"Come on, let your mother give you a nice long big hug," Hyunjoong teased and suddenly stopped when Hyunsaeng asked. "Where's Mommy?"

"What are you talking about?" exclaimed Nicole, beginning to become irritated with Hyunsaeng's attitude. "I am your mother."

Seeing the girl suddenly throw her anger at him, Hyunsaeng's tears welled up and Hyunjoong had to scoop him up and hug him tightly in order to comfort him. 

Nicole sighed. "Mian..."

"Gwenchana," answered Hyunjoong, patted the frightened toddler on the back. "Mommy is right here, Hyunsaeng."

The little boy didn't answer, sobs muffled in Hyunjoong's jacket. Hyunjoong smiled sweetly at Nicole. "It's probably because you've been away for quite a while."

Nicole nodded assuringly. "Yeah, I guess so."

Minutes later, Hyunsaeng finally calmed down and the older boy placed him back down on the bed but he held on to Hyunjoong's hand, refusing to let go. Hyunjoong tried to pass the toddler into Nicole's arms but what was weird was that Hyunsaeng absolutely refused to stay and if Nicole didn't let him down, he would try to get away himself. 

"Hyunsaeng, why aren't you letting Mommy hold you?" Hyunjoong asked him worriedly. "Didn't you want to see her?"

Nicole sighed, obviously frustrated. "I guess he just needs some time to adjust."

"Honey, don't feel angry at him. He's a child. Anyways, he wasn't like this before," Hyunjoong comforted. "He only needs a little coaxing."

"I know, I know," she murmured and faced him again, holding her arms out. "Hyunsaeng-ah, let me hold you."

Still, the little boy only glared at her. At that, she lost it. "Okay, you know what? This is ridiculous! I'm not going to spend my time dealing with this right when i come back."

"Nicole!" Hyunjoong interrupted sternly. "You're his mother! You can't just--"

"She's not Mommy!"

The two looked at Hyunsaeng in surprise. He had never spoken so angrily and loudly before. His voice was usually soft but this time, he seemed to be especially sad and angry. Tears welled up in his eyes as he shook his head. 

"She's not my mommy," he kept on repeating, crying and eating his own salty tears. Hyunjoong picked him up again but then Hyunsaeng began to act violent, hitting the boy as he started screaming. Screaming for his mommy. Screaming to be let go. 

Kyujong burst into the room. "What in the world is going on? Why is Hyunsaeng screaming like that?"

"Did you do something to him?" Taemin shrieked and hurried over, grabbing the toddler but to their surprise, Hyunsaeng also refused to be held by his favorite uncle. 

"What's going on...?" Onew murmured in shock. 

"He keeps on saying that I'm not his mother," Nicole huffed, crossing her arms. "What is wrong with this child?"

Hyungjun stayed at the back, keeping his mouth shut. He watched as everyone could only look at the wailing halfblood, not knowing what to do. Taking a deep breath, he went forward and whispered into the little boy's ears. "Mommy... isn't here anymore."

Hyunsaeng looked at Hyungjun, still sniffling and hiccupping. "I want... Mommy... Where is he? Where's Mommy?"

Something in Hyunjoong clicked and he furrowed his eyebrows. He...? Why would he think that his mom's a boy? Nicole's a girl and he doesn't accept her. But he did when he first met her. Why would he...?

Hyungjun smiled sorrowfully and held out his arms. "Come on, let me hold you, arasseo?"

To their surprise, the little boy didn't protest when Hyungjun picked him up, bouncing him up and down and his back to calm him. He knew what Hyunsaeng was feeling inside: betrayal, anger, sadness; and this was what they wanted.

 

*Flashback*

"Hyungjun, ireona," an angelic voice chimed from outside his dreams.

Hyungjun stirred and slowly opened his eyes, seeing Youngsaeng shaking him gently, hovering above him. He sat up slowly, looking around. Kyujong was still sleeping soundly beside him. This was rare.

"What's going on...?" he whispered in confusion.

Youngsaeng stood up and gestured him off the bed and out the room. Hyungjun followed and they ended up in the library, where no one could find or disturb them. Hyungjun looked at the older boy. "What is it?"

The cute boy took a deep breath. "I... I'm leaving."

The younger boy's eyes roundened. "What? Why? What about Hyunjoong hyung? He definitely won't let you!"

The latter's eyes seemed determined and already set to his goal. "I have already erased his memory and replaced them. He is now engaged with a vampire girl named Jung Nicole. Jungmin and Kyujong both have girlfriends and they are Nicole's friends." Pausing, he looked down at his finger and put his hand to it, slipping it off.

Hyungjun noticed. "Isn't that... the ring Hyunjoong hyung bought for you? He should have one, too."

Youngsaeng nodded and bit his bottom lip. "Here," he said, holding out the ring. "When you feel that the time is right, give it to him."

"How am I supposed to--"

"You will know, that's for sure," Youngsaeng interrupted with a shaky sigh, as if holding back tears. "He will not remember me even if you give back the ring but at least my name is engraved on it. It will become a worthless keepsake in which he won't be able to bring himself to throw away."

"But... why?"

"You already know, I am the nine-tailed fox. And I know the future. If I stay together him, the ending won't be happy and nothing will turn out well no matter how hard we try," explained Youngsaeng quietly. "He wants me to release the nine-tailed fox so that we can die together but I am against it. I don't want all of you to die because of me."

"Then... What's this supposed to do?"

The latter smiled softly, placing the ring into the younger boy's hand. "If I leave him, then the nine-tailed fox will release itself on my birthday but... Hyunjoong, I know, has the magic power to seal that fox for eternity. Since he has my blood multiple times, he has enough spirit magic inside of him to defend against the tails and the fox himself. I don't know if he will die after he seals the fox or not but if he doesn't remember me, he will have no hesitance in doing so. This way, I will die and the fox will never appear again, the vampires also won't die out."

Hyungjun let out a breath. "You always make it sound so easy."

Youngsaeng smirked. "That's why, I want you to keep this plan a secret. No matter what you do, don't spill it out. Even if he remembers me or even has a few shattered memories, don't reveal the truth."

"Where will you go?"

"I'm still going to be in this school but I will return to the day class. The Headmaster has cooperated with me and knows what I have done. He trust me enough so now, it's only you and Hyunsaeng. You two are the only ones whose memories have not been erased."

"Why didn't you erase and replace our memories, too?"

"I can't bring myself to replace Hyunsaeng's memories. And also, it will damage his brain since it is still soft and he's only a toddler. He will forget easily. And you, you will be there for him, you will tell him that I won't be there anymore. He will feel angry at me and accept Nicole as his mother."

Hyungjun nodded. "Alright then. I believe in you, hyung so you'd better not fail me."

Youngsaeng held his hand out and Hyungjun clasped his in his own. The older boy grinned. "I won't."

*Flashback ends*

 

Hyunsaeng fell asleep in Hyungjun's arms from crying and the boy set the toddler down back on the bed, covering him with the blanket. Hyunjoong watched. "Why did he let you hold him?"

Hyungjun straightened up and looked at his hyung. In the latter's eyes, he could already see something uneasy, something threatening to break. It was the wall that contained his real memories. His heart hurt to see that Hyunjoong didn't remember anything about his most loved one but this had all been well-planned out. This was supposed to happen.

"Because... he and I are the same," was the only thing Hyungjun said before pushing past the older boy and walking out of the room, letting loose his tears once he had his back to every one of them.