Library

Eternal Flame

After that day of training, the vampires all returned to their rooms, exhausted. A few went to the infirmary to get their wounds treated or got their wounds healed by Hyungjun, who was the healing hands of the class.

Youngsaeng entered his room and flopped onto the bed, wanting to sleep already. Hyunjoong knocked on the door and slowly creaked it open. "Saengie?"

The younger boy turned to look at the boy. "Neh? I'm here."

Hyunjoong entered the room and closed the door behind him, walking towards his boyfriend and lying down beside him. "Youngsaeng-ah... Why didn't you want to be partners with me?"

Youngsaeng smiled and sat up. "I didn't want to hurt you with Fear Inducement. You saw how much pain Onew was in, right? I didn't know that would happen until I did it..."

Hyunjoong got up and gently pressed his lips against the latter's, wrapping his arms around the younger boy's waist. Youngsaeng moaned slightly as Hyunjoong's tongue met his, his eyes closing. The older boy pushed Youngsaeng down onto the bed, climbing over on all fours, not breaking the contact. He began ing the latter's shirt but Youngsaeng stopped him, shaking his head.

Hyunjoong pouted.

 Youngsaeng smiled gently. "I'm tired today. Let's not, hmm?"

The older boy smiled and pecked the boy on the lips before crawling off. "Yeah, I want to sleep, too."

The two took turns using the washroom. Hyunjoong also noticed something else about Youngsaeng. He never took showers. He would always use the bathtub and clean himself in a pool of water. Even though the older boy found it somewhat strange, he never questioned.

In their pajamas, the two curled up next to each other, Hyunjoong hugging the latter tightly as Youngsaeng used his arm as a pillow, smiling as he closed his eyes.

"Youngsaengie," Hyunjoong started slowly. "Today, when we were training, how did you manage to dodge all of Onew's arrows without even moving."

The younger boy exhaled. "I don't know myself... It just happened instinctively. I was prepared for pain and the arrows but I didn't expect it at all..."

The older boy thought for a bit. "I noticed that after the arrows missed you, there were faint marks on the back of your hand. Does that have anything to do with it?"

Youngsaeng furrowed his eyebrows and pulled his hands out from under the blanket and inspecting them but shook his head. "There's nothing."

Hyunjoong sighed and closed his eyes. "Maybe it was just my imagination..."

"Perhaps."

A few minutes later, Hyunjoong opened his eyes again. "Youngsaeng?"

There was no response from the young boy. The older boy smiled and hugged Youngsaeng tighter as he closed his eyes again. But Youngsaeng was still awake, his eyes dark.

It's amazing how even though, my whole life, I've learned the vampires are evil creatures. These people aren't bad at all. There's no way I can let the fox within kill all these people, especially Hyunjoong.

When Hyunjoong woke up, he saw that Youngsaeng wasn't by his side. He put his hand on the mattress, it was cold. Youngsaeng had already been gone for a while.

He jumped up and hurried to the bathroom, the boy wasn't there. He opened the lights, Youngsaeng wasn't in the room. Hyunjoong quickly ran out of the room, looking up and down the hall but the boy was nowhere to be seen. He grit his teeth and began to run down the corridor.

"Hyunjoong? What are you doing?" Kyujong was standing in front of him, heading back to his room.

"Have you seen Youngsaeng?" the older boy asked worriedly. "I can't find him."

"Oh, he's in the library," his best friend replied. "I just passed by there and I saw him reading something."

"Thanks Kyu," Hyunjoong said and dashed towards the library. He saw that Kyujong was right. There Youngsaeng was, sitting at a desk still in his pajamas, flipping through a book with another stack of books beside him.

He quietly opened the door and approached the boy, peeking over his shoulder to see what the boy was reading: How to Seal the Nine-Tailed Fox

That was the title. Hyunjoong gently tapped Youngsaeng on the shoulder, causing the boy to whip around in surprise, his earrings flashing in the dim light. Hyunjoong's heart skipped a beat when he saw that the boy was wearing his glasses again.

"You're reading about the nine-tailed fox?" he questioned as he sat down beside the boy. "Why?"

Youngsaeng smiled. "I was... I just suddenly had an interest in the nine-tailed fox so I decided to do some research on it."

Hyunjoong nodded and took a book from the top of the stack, looking at the title: Savior of the Vampire. That book was on how a powerful vampire had killed the 99th generation nine-tailed fox.

The older boy kept on looking through the books. Why are they all on how to seal it? There's a lot of information on the nine-tailed fox but... they all show techniques of sealing it or locking it in someplace. Is that really what Youngsaeng is interested in right now?

Youngsaeng yawned as he flipped through the book he was looking at. There were pictures of the nine-tailed fox, which parts were most vital to attack, and explanations on how to kill it.

"Youngsaeng, you should go get some more sleep," Hyunjoong coaxed. "Since when were you here?"

"A few hours ago," the boy replied frankly, still flipping through the diagrams.

"Let's go back to sleep. You come here again after class," the older boy insisted. "You need rest."

"I want to stay here a little longer..." Youngsaeng whined as he closed the book he was looking at and took the ones in Hyunjoong's hands, reading the title. He placed it in front of him and opened it, looking through the Table of Contents.

"Why don't you take that book to our room to read?" Hyunjoong suggested as he stood up. "You'll have plenty of time to read it. Come on. The Demon Marathon is coming up soon."

Youngsaeng finally nodded and took the book in his hand, leaving the stack of books on the counter and heading out the doors with Hyunjoong.

"Oh wait, don't I have to check this out?" the younger boy asked.

"No, it's okay. As long as you return it, then it's fine," Hyunjoong said with a smile as he grabbed onto Youngsaeng's hand, pulling him back to their room.

That day, Youngsaeng sat on the bed and kept the lamp beside him open, reading the book intently. Hyunjoong just watched and occasionally rose up again to see what he was reading, tried to tell him to go back to sleep, and then lay back down. Youngsaeng sighed. All these books tell me how to seal it except you need somebody else to seal it... I want there to be a way to seal it by myself, even if it means sacrificing myself. There should be a way.

Finally, a few hours later, Youngsaeng put away the book away and lay down after turning off the lamp. Hyunjoong immediately wrapped his arms around the younger boy, tightly embracing him and inhaling his scent. Youngsaeng smiled lightly and moved closer.

With him beside me, I'll be okay. I have to find a way to stop this monster... I'll definitely find a way to seal it within me a little longer, or even better, forever.