Demon Lesson

Eternal Flame

Since Youngsaeng was new, the vampire teacher, Mr. Ryu, decided to teach about demons that class. Hyunjoong also decided to attend class for once and accompanied Youngsaeng in, sitting beside him.

"When is next year's Demon Marathon?" Key asked.

"It's going to be held on January 2nd," the man replied and wrote it on the board. "Remember that date. Instead of class, we will all gather in the park in the middle of Seoul."

"When was this year's Demon Marathon?" Youngsaeng asked.

"January 3rd," Hyunjoong answered.

"About how many demons are there now?" Taemin questioned, raising his hand.

"The exorcists have been constantly killing them off but they've been multiplying very rapidly these days. They're working hard but we'll have to join in soon. The Demon Marathon will cut down the numbers."

"They've been multiplying rapidly?" Jungmin echoed. "That's never happened, has it? Do you know the reason?"

"Demon nests are nearly impossible to find, don't even talk about destroying," Mr. Ryu started. "We've tracked down the main nest. It's actually very close to this school. Those within the school won't be hunted by the demons as there a barrier around the school grounds but outside the school grounds is total chaos. There are disguised demons everywhere and more and more humans are being possessed."

"Shouldn't we go to destroy it? With all the exorcists and the vampires?" Onew suggested. "That way, there won't be any demons left. We'll only have to concentrate on the nine-tailed fox."

Youngsaeng's eyes widened. His hand shot up. "Are you searching for the nine-tailed fox?"

"Oh, yes, we forgot to tell you," Mr. Ryu cleared his throat. "Yes, we are, currently. We haven't even found a trace though even though it should've grown to almost full size already. We should already be dead but surprisingly, it hasn't showed up. We don't know what happened to it."

"If it disappeared, then why are you still searching?" Youngsaeng asked again.

Mr. Ryu shrugged. "Even if it died, it's going to appear in another five generations anyways. So we might as well start searching and continue searching. Anyways, you still have to learn about demons so hurry up and listen."

"Wait, seonsaengnim," Hyungjun interrupted as he put up his hand. "About the demon nest. Why'd you say that it was impossible to destroy?"

"Because of the number of demons gathered there," Mr. Ryu replied, his expression suddenly becoming serious. "The numbers keep increasing. Currently, a few exorcists are keeping track of the numbers. There are more than a thousand eggs, about 200 demon offspring, around 250 youth and nearly 400 adult demons. A majority are protecting the nest."

"Has anyone even tried to attack it?" Hyunjoong asked curiously.

"Your father and many others have gathered vampires from all around the world and all of the professional exorcists to try to destroy it many years ago. Somehow... They didn't succeed," Mr. Ryu told them. "The numbers were overwhelming. We think that it has something to do with the birth of the nine-tailed fox."

"Is there any connection between the nine-tailed fox and demons?" Youngsaeng asked, furrowing his eyebrows.

"There is," Hyunjoong replied to his question. "What I know from research is that both the nine-tailed fox and the demons use spirit magic. Exorcists don't use spirit magic but volt weapons to kill demons."

"Volt... weapons...?" the younger boy echoed in confusion.

"I'm not sure how they work either. The scientists insert stigmata into the girls and boys and that enables them to be two or three times stronger and faster tha normal humans and allows them to create weapons and clothes out of thin air. To kill demons, they usually don't even have to use even 60% of their power."

"If they're that powerful, then why can't they destroy the nest when they're all together?" Youngsaeng asked.

"Try going up against more than a million creatures with only a little more than a hundred fighters," Hyunjoong remarked with a sigh. "It's obvious who's going to win."

"About how many humans have been demonized?" Kyujong shot out.

"In Seoul... A few hundred already," Mr. Ryu answered. "In a few nights, the exorcists are going to go out to hunt down a few more demons to lessen the numbers a bit."

"Can we go with them?" Taemin asked eagerly.

"No, only the exorcists are going. You are only allowed to go hunt demons during the Demon Marathon," the teacher spat.

"Please... it'll be good experience for Youngsaeng..." the boy pleaded with puppy dog eyes.

"Yeah, Youngsaeng doesn't really know what fighting demons is like," Onew joined in. "One of us can accompany him and he can watch for a little while so that he knows. If he goes right away into the Demon Marathon, he'll have no idea what to do."

"I think Onew's right," Hyungjun agreed with a nod. "Youngsaeng needs some experience or else he's going to freak out if he meets a real demon."

Youngsaeng pouted. I know what demons look like... I know how to fight them and I know how to defend if I meet them... Sheesh... I'm not that weak...

Mr. Ryu thought for a few minutes but nodded. "Fine, we'll go with them."

The whole class cheered and the man quieted them down.

"Who wants to Youngsaeng through the city?" the teacher asked and looked around with a smile.

Hyunjoong put his hand up. "I'll go with him."

"That's the best thing to do," Mr. Ryu praised. "Hyunjoong got 1st in the Demon Marathon and is the strongest in the class so he should be able to protect Youngsaeng well. We don't want any major injuries, understand? We don't anyone getting possessed either, do you guys get it?"

"Neh!"