Lack of Senses

Eternal Flame

Hyunjoong wasn't able to get Hyunsaeng to tell him everything. Even though Hyunsaeng actually tried gurgling out words and creating sentences with the words he knew, it still wasn't possible. He even tried to draw but the only things he could draw were circles, ovals, and lines, straight and wiggly.

The deadline of November 3rd was slowly approaching and Hyunjoong began to become more and more worried. He had to somehow find that boy. He had even tried asking the Headmaster but strangely, the man refused to tell him, even when Hyunjoong could tell that he obviously knew the answer to every question he asked. He tried to read their minds but it was as if they were ready for him; walls cut him off. If he couldn't find that boy named Youngsaeng in time, Hyunsaeng probably would never be able to see him again.

While Nicole was in a catch-up class, Hyunjoong sat on the bed with Hyunsaeng beside him, still fiddling around with the ring, his mouth curled into a smile. Making up his mind, he got up from the bed.

"Hyunsaeng, wait for me here and don't go anywhere, understand?" Hyunjoong ordered before leaving and slamming the door closed.

He stormed over to Hyungjun's room and opened it without knocking. "Tell me right now! Who is Youngsaeng?"

Without looking up from his book, Hyungjun's voice was calm with a smirk. "Didn't I already give you a hint?"

"Then tell me what the clue was. I don't understand!" exclaimed Hyunjoong in frustration at the doorframe. "Stop being so mysterious and just tell me!"

Hyungjun sighed and placed his bookmark in, closing it. "Why do you want to know about him? Nicole's already your fiance. You shouldn't be interested in anybody but her."

"I know that I am engaged to her but... Hyunsaeng doesn't accept her and at this rate, will never accept her," explained Hyunjoong as he calmed down. "He keeps on saying that Youngsaeng is his mother. And that ring, why did you give it to me if you didn't want me to ask questions? Why can't I remember somebody I gave the ring to? Why can't I remember who took care of Hyunsaeng with me?"

The younger vampire shook his head as Hyunjoong continued. "Also, November 3rd is only a day away. Hyunsaeng needs to see him again. The only times he evern smiles is when he has that ring!"

"He has already met his mom again," Hyungjun informed the older boy. "I've been monitoring you two for the past couple of weeks. Hyunsaeng has already seen his mother again."

"How's that possible? He would've told me!"

"He did tell you!" cut in the latter. "But you didn't listen, you didn't realize what he was trying to say. Your mind was so clouded by the fact that he was a mere toddler and didn't understand reality that you couldn't even see what was right in front of you."

Hyunjoong glared at Hyungjun. "What's that supposed to mean? I've been asking him and myself so many questions!"

"You have but you never saw past his simple, child-like mind," Hyungjun said sternly, sliding off the bed. "In case you've forgotten, he's only around a year old, a little past. He tried to show you through his own methods, through the simplest methods possible but you couldn't see through them. All the questions you've asked him, he has already answered them. He has already told you everything about Youngsaeng but you don't know it because you don't understand his way of thinking."

The older vampire bit his bottom lip and closed the door behind him. "Then... How do I understand him?"

The latter let out a breath as he turned and climbed back onto his bed, picking up the book. "Don't ask me. Ask him."

Hyunjoong grit his teeth. "Why can't you just tell me? I know you know everything! The Headmaster was the same! Hiding everything from me like it was a sinful secret! Just tell me everything. Please, I really want to meet this guy, too! I want to know why I gave this ring to him, what he was to me, what I was to him. I want to know."

Hyungjun took a deep breath. "I can't tell you. I promised."

The older boy narrowed his eyes. "So you made a pact with Youngsaeng? A truce or some sort?"

"Not a truce," said Hyungjun with a light smile as he opened his book again. "Only a simple promise. One that I plan on carrying to my grave if you don't ever recall."

Hyunjoong took a deep breath. "Can you just tell me one more thing then?"

The latter looked at him. "What is it?"

"I... What was he to me?"

Hyungjun sighed and leaned his head back onto the wall behind him, closing his eyes. "He was special."

The older boy furrowed his eyebrows. "That's it? Only special?"

Hyungjun nodded. "Well what else is there? That's all you asked me." Groaning, Hyunjoong slid down the door and sank to the floor. "Also, I wanted to tell you something. I haven't informed the others before it yet."

"Yeah?"

"Around... two weeks ago I think, black snow began to fall. And that was the middle of the October, and it was snowing! Don't you find that weird?" questioned Hyunjoong. "What do you think it means?"

"Why are you asking me? Shouldn't you be asking yourself? Why do you think I have all the answers?"

"But... My guess isn't possible... It can't be possible," murmured Hyunjoong, his voice barely audible to Hyungjun.

"Well, what is your guess?"

Hyunjoong blew air out of his mouth. "The... nine-tailed fox may be coming back."

Hyungjun smirked and closed his book again, turning to face the older vampire. "You just noticed?"

The latter's eyes widened and he shot up. "You knew?!"

Rolling his eyes, Hyungjun hopped off the bed. "You didn't notice the spirit magic multiplying day by day? Now, the vampires are desperately trying to hold up the barrier to keep out the strong spirit magic but it doesn't seem to be working as you know how strong spirit magic is against magic. It nullifies magic and then annihilates it. You really didn't sense it?"

Hyunjoong scrunched up his face, looking around the room, out the window and past the view. He began to panic. "I... I can't... I can't sense spirit magic. Hyungjun, I can't sense it!"

The latter's smirk immediately faded and he stared at the latter. "What?"

Hyunjoong's hands started to tremble and he ran up to the window, his gaze flickering from corner to corner but still, he couldn't sense any at all. "I can't! Why? Why can't I sense spirit magic? I didn't know it was growing this whole time! Why can't I sense it? Hyungjun, tell me. You know many things. Why can't I sense spirit magic anymore?"

Hyungjun plopped down on the bed, his hand running through his hair. He hadn't expected this to happen. It wasn't like he had planned out. Hyunjoong was still frantic, not knowing what to do.

The younger vampire ran through his memories and closed his eyes, going back to the time when he and Youngsaeng were alone in the library.

 

"I... I'm leaving."

"What? Why? What about Hyunjoong hyung? He definitely won't let you!"

"I have already erased his memory and replaced them. He is now engaged with a vampire girl named Jung Nicole. Jungmin and Kyujong both have girlfriends and they are Nicole's friends."

"Isn't that... the ring Hyunjoong hyung bought for you? He should have one, too."

"Here. When you feel that the time is right, give it to him."

"How am I supposed to--"

"You will know, that's for sure. He will not remember me even if you give back the ring but at least my name is engraved on it. It will become a worthless keepsake in which he won't be able to bring himself to throw away."

"But... why?"

"You already know, I am the nine-tailed fox. And I know the future. If I stay together him, the ending won't be happy and nothing will turn out well no matter how hard we try. He wants me to release the nine-tailed fox so that we can die together but I am against it. I don't want all of you to die because of me."

"Then... What's this supposed to do?"

"If I leave him, then the nine-tailed fox will release itself on my birthday but... Hyunjoong, I know, has the magic power to seal that fox for eternity. Since he has my blood multiple times, he has enough spirit magic inside of him to defend against the tails and the fox himself. I don't know if he will die after he seals the fox or not but if he doesn't remember me, he will have no hesitance in doing so. This way, I will die and the fox will never appear again, the vampires also won't die out."

"You always make it sound so easy."

"That's why, I want you to keep this plan a secret. No matter what you do, don't spill it out. Even if he remembers me or even has a few shattered memories, don't reveal the truth."

"Where will you go?"

"I'm still going to be in this school but I will return to the day class. The Headmaster has cooperated with me and knows what I have done. He trust me enough so now, it's only you and Hyunsaeng. You two are the only ones whose memories have not been erased."

"Why didn't you erase and replace our memories, too?"

"I can't bring myself to replace Hyunsaeng's memories. And also, it will damage his brain since it is still soft and he's only a toddler. He will forget easily. And you, you will be there for him, you will tell him that I won't be there anymore. He will feel angry at me and accept Nicole as his mother."

"Alright then. I believe in you, hyung so you'd better not fail me."

"I won't."

 

"He has my blood multiple times, he has enough spirit magic inside of him to defend against the tails and the fox himself."

There, that was the answer. Hyungjun looked up at his panicking friend and grabbed his wrist, stopping him from pacing up and down frantically. "Stop it. You're only making it worse."

Hyunjoong looked back at him. "Making it worse? How can I make it anymore worse when I can't even sense spirit magic?"

"No, this is a good sign," said Hyungjun confidently. "Don't doubt it and just believe it. Tomorrow at midnight... It will come to use. Definitely."

The latter knotted his eyebrows again. "What's going to happen on November 3rd?"

Hyungjun began pushing Hyunjoong out of his room and once he had opened the door and threw the vampire out of the door, he said. "You'll see," before slamming it into the latter's face.