Demon Marathon: Genetics

Eternal Flame

On January 2nd, at 9 o'clock, Hyunjoong brought Youngsaeng to a park outside of school grounds, where everyone was told to meet up. They were the earliest. Hyunjoong looked around and spotted another group of exorcists.

"Hey! Kevin!" he exclaimed with a bright smile and ran over to them with Youngsaeng. "Long time no see, guys."

The seven boys saw him and waved.

"Hey Hyunjoong," another boy greeted. "Who's that beside you? A new vampire?"

Hyunjoong shook his head. "He's a special one. He has two silver eyes."

The boys cocked their head to the side in puzzlement.

"I don't see the eyes..." one of them remarked.

"He's wearing contacts," Hyunjoong told them and turned to Youngsaeng. "These are the top 7 exorcists from East Genetics. Kevin, Eli, Dongho, Hoon, Soohyun, AJ, and Kiseop."

Youngsaeng bowed politely. "Annyeonghaseyo. I'm Heo Youngsaeng. Nice to meet you."

"When are you going to take those contacts off? You'll need your eyes for tonight," Hyunjoong whined with a pout. "Anyways, I like seeing you with silver eyes."

The younger boy brought his fingers up to his eyes and took out a small packet from his pocket with his other hand. Slipping out the contacts, he put them carefully back in the little box and looked up again.

Dongho's eyes widened in surprise. "Wow, he really has two silver eyes."

"They're glowing," Kevin gushed. "He's so cute... Those eyes really fit him."

"Wow, how'd he get into a vampire class? Why isn't he with us, the exorcists, if he has those eyes?" Kiseop questioned curiously.

"He didn't want to become an exorcist," Hyunjoong responded, clutching harder onto Youngsaeng's hand.

"Then how's he going to fight?" Hoon joined the conversation.

Hyunjoong grinned. "He has his own ways."

"Aw... What's your relationship with Hyunjoong?" Soohyun asked Youngsaeng gently.

The older boy didn't answer for Youngsaeng this time and waited. The younger boy moved a little closer to Hyunjoong. "Boyfriend..." they heard him say quietly.

AJ smirked at Hyunjoong. "You just wanted him to say that, didn't you?"

Hyunjoong stuck his tongue out. "Of course. It's nice to hear someone you love say that they're in a relationship with you. Anyways, where are the others? Shouldn't we be starting soon?"

"Oh, I see Alexander," Dongho exclaimed and waved someone over from behind Hyunjoong.

The couple turned to see another 7 exorcists heading towards them. Youngsaeng recognized two of them, as he had saw them in the hunting spree.

"Youngsaeng, that's Alexander, Kibum, Krystal, Sulli, Luna, Victoria, and Amber," Hyunjoong said, pointing at each he had named. Youngsaeng only gave a slight nod as a response.

"Hi Hyunjoong!!!" Kibum exclaimed with a bright smile. "Oh! The East Genetics are already here?"

"Where are the rest of the vampires?" Krystal asked with a frown. "They're late again? They were late last year, too."

"No, we're here," a voice came from above.

The rest of the boys from the Night class landed in front of Hyunjoong, as if had just jumped off a tree. Kyujong went over to Youngsaeng. "Ready?"

The latter smiled. "Of course."

"Whoa, he smiled," Dongho stated. "He has dimples! I want dimples."

"Dimples...?" Hyunjoong echoed.

Alexander nodded. "Yeah, the holes in the cheeks when people smile. Not that many people have it though. Youngsaeng has it."

Hyunjoong looked at Youngsaeng. "You have dimples? Really? I never noticed..."

Youngsaeng didn't smile and instead, directed his gaze to the moon. His eyes widened when he saw how big the moon was. A full moon... I have to stay far away from the exorcists and the vampires... They can't see me or else they might find out...

As everyone gathered together, they heard a loud boom of thunder and saw a crack of lightning. In front of them appeared another group, leading was the Headmaster of C.E.A. Beside him was a man who looked considerably young. Hyunjoong's eye widened.

"Dad..." Youngsaeng heard him murmur.

The younger boy took a deep breath before looking up at the man. When he saw Hyunjoong's father, he suddenly felt something sear through him from the soul of his feet. He felt his left eye flash and he remembered a scene he, himself, had never experienced.

 

"Stop it! Come to your senses! Please!!! Maria!!!!! Don't leave me!!!" the man screamed. "Come back Maria!!! Please, STOP!!!!!!!"

"Maria's not here anymore. She was never here. It was always me and only me," he snarled. He was looking from his own perspective, feeling no mercy, only hatred towards the vampire. Around him, other vampires and exorcists were together. He growled and could feel himself lunging down towards the night creatures.

 

"Youngsaeng? Youngsaeng," Hyunjoong said, shaking the boy.

The boy snapped out of his daze and quickly looked up with his round, silver eyes. "Yeah? What is it?"

"What were you thinking about?"

The latter slowly shook his head. "It's... nothing..."

Maria... That was the 99ths generation fox's name... Then that means Hyunjoong's dad is the same as Hyunjoong. He fell in love with a fox and lost his love because of the nine-tailed fox curse.

Youngsaeng, from under the dim light, saw a noticeable scar across Hyunjoong's father's face. That must have been from one of the tails of the nine-tailed fox... Only one with enough spirit magic would be able to create a scar like that...

Suddenly, he saw the man look at him. Their eyes met for a moment before he quickly looked away. He saw the man lean over to the Headmaster and whisper something into his ear, gesturing towards him. Youngsaeng's eyes widened in realization.

He's going to keep an eye on me throughout the whole competition. That's what he's telling the Headmaster. What am I going to do? I have to get away somehow. I can't use too much of my power in front of him. He's one of the ones that fought the 99th generation. If he sees too much, he'll know I'm the next generation nine-tailed fox and he'll definitely be after me once the Demon Marathon ends.

Hyunjoong noticed that Youngsaeng's mind was quite far off from the Demon Marathon and from the words the Headmaster was speaking. He lightly caressed the boy's cheek, causing the latter to jolt in surprise and look up at him again.

"Did you hear what the Headmaster said?" he asked the boy.

"N-no... Sorry, I wasn't listening..." Youngsaeng apologized quietly.

"They've created a barrier all around Seoul. Now, people won't be able to see our weapons or our magic," Hyunjoong explained to him gently. "If you stay out of their sight, everything should be fine."

Youngsaeng nodded and watched the Headmaster.

"You have until sunrise," the Headmaster announced and looked at his watch. "Okay... START!"

Everyone disappeared but Hyunjoong stayed. He felt something suddenly leave his hand and he looked at Youngsaeng but the boy was gone. He looked at the group of officials and saw that many of them were still there. The only one who was missing was his father.

Hyunjoong's pupils dilated when he came to an epiphany. He grit his teeth and disappeared into the night, trying to track down his father. My father doesn't need to chase after the exorcists or the vampires. He can use his bats to keep count. The only one the bats can't track down is Youngsaeng. He definitely followed him.

Speeding from buildling to building, he slashed through any demon that he came across, chasing after his father's scent.