Black Snow

Eternal Flame

Hyunjoong gazed at the ring on his finger and the other ring, wondering why they were the same and why Hyungjun had it. The word 'Youngsaeng' was probably a name for his own name was carved clearly on the other one.

"Honey, are you looking at the ring again?" Nicole's voice floated in as she stepped in, closing the door behind her.

Hyunjoong smiled gently, placing the ring carefully back on the side table. "It reminds me of something but somehow, I just can't recall what exactly it is."

Nicole sighed. "Are you losing your memory already? Getting old?"

Rolling his eyes, the older boy slipped off the bed and walked over to the curtain, opening it as he sat at the windowsill under the sunlight. Nicole huffed. "Why do you keep doing that? It's bad mentally and physically for vampires, you should know that. Hurry and get out from under there. And close the curtains to, its too bright for me."

Hyunjoong didn't and simply gazed out, looking down at the courtyard and continuing his daily routine, searching for that cute boy. This was the usual time of day the boy named Kyuyoung would exit the school and head back into the dorms.

As expected, a few minutes later, the cute boy went out of the school building along with a few other boys, chatting and smiling. Hyunjoong smiled softly, watching as the boy walked down the path with his friends and back to the dorms.

"You look like an idiot," remarked Nicole as she threw the covers over her head. "Hurry up and close the curtains."

After the boy disappeared from view did Hyunjoong jump off the windowsill and close the curtains, taking one last look to see if he would appear again but as usual, he headed back to his dorm right after school ended. The vampire went back to his bed, picking the golden ring on his way and lay with his back facing his fiancé as he scrutinized the ring again.

Nicole closed her eyes. "You really can't remember?"

Shaking his head, Hyunjoong rolled over on his back, holding the ring above his face. He tightened his lips, sighing. "I just don't get it... It's like when you know the word but can't remember it. It's the same frustrating feeling when it's at the tip of your tongue. I seem to know where this is from but I just... I don't know who this person is. I don't know why Hyungjun had it. I don't know why it wasn't with you. Why doesn't it have your name on it yet it has 'youngsaeng' on it."

Nicole smiled. "I'm sure you'll remember someday. Maybe someone or something will just trigger that word or memory and you will suddenly remember. It's what always happens."

***

Hyunsaeng finally began to accept Hyunjoong as his father again but still avoided Nicole, refusing to look at her and pouting whenever she was around. Nicole didn't usually want to be around him either.

Hyunjoong sighed, not knowing what to do as he watched his son sleep on their bed. Hyunsaeng's small hand was wrapped around his finger, as if not wanting him to leave. Why did Hyunsaeng also remind him of that warmth? How come Hyunsaeng's smile seemed so familiar? Why did everything around him seem to remind of that thing except Nicole and the other girls. What was going on?

That night, Hyunjoong went out for a walk again. It was the first day of classes for Nicole and so, he was outside alone again, thinking of the cute boy. His heart raced whenever he remembered the boy's cute, round cheeks, red-framed glasses, cross earrings, and his pure, twinkling black eyes. His smile was sweet and his voice filled with compassion.

The wind blew strongly and Hyunjoong knew that this wasn't any wind, it was the north wind, which meant that winter was already drawing near. Winter seemed to be coming much faster than before and for vampires, that was bad. Vampires didn't like winter and didn't like snow, it made them feel vulnerable. Usually, winter would arrive around the middle of November but strangely, it was only the middle of October yet it was almost zero degrees already.

Again, his heart was empty and his breath turned into mist, dissolving into thin air.

"Youngsaeng..." he murmured under the breath, trying to realize what the word's meaning was. That name seemed strangely familiar to him but still, like that warmth, he couldn't recall it. "Saengie... Youngsaeng..." He stopped. "Saengie?"

Realizing that 'Saengie' was the nickname for 'Youngsaeng', he furrowed his eyebrows. Deep in thought, he didn't notice that where he was going and suddenly bumped into a tree, falling backwards. It was almost comical how he had hugged the tree when he slammed into it. He rubbed his aching nose and struggled to stand up. 

"Are... Are you okay...?" a sweet voice came from behind him.

He turned, still rubbing his noise, and saw Kyuyoung standing there, rubbing his hands together in front of his mouth as he blew warm air to warm them up. The boy bowed. "Annyeonghaseyo. I didn't think I'd meet you again so soon."

Hyunjoong's heart skipped a beat and he quickly bowed. "N-neh... Annyeonghaseyo."

The vampire noticed the boy glance behind him and point to something on the glimmering on the ground. "That's yours, right? I saw it drop out of your pocket."

Hyunjoong turned and saw the ring glinting on the ground. He quickly scooped it up and brushed the dust off. The boy watched with a slight smile. That's good, he kept it...

The older boy dropped the ring back into his pocket and looked back at the latter. "Why are you out here? Isn't it prohibited for a Day Class student to be outside at night?"

The younger boy chuckled. "I know but I really needed some fresh air so I managed to sneak out. I just need to manage to sneak back in and hope that I wasn't found out. It's quite cold now. November is nearing."

Hyunjoong nodded with a hum and looked up at the sky. The stars were covered by the dark clouds, threatening to brew a storm. The moon couldn't even be seen.

The boy named Kyuyoung bowed. "Well, I think I should head back now before I catch a cold. You should go back, too. Perhaps you have a stronger body than normal but it's still best to be safe."

Hyunjoong nodded again. "Yeah, I guess you're ri--" He stopped himself when he suddenly noticed what the boy had said. A stronger body? Did that boy know that he had a stronger body?

He was about to chase after the boy when he noticed that the boy was nowhere to be seen, as if suddenly disappearing into thin air. Hyunjoong scrunched up his face in confusion, looking around and searching the courtyard but there was no one, as if he had been talking to himself.

Shivering with his hands stuffed in his coat pockets, Hyunjoong gave up and hurried back to the night class building. Right before he opened the door, he stopped as a snowflake drifted down in front of him. Startled, he whipped around and saw that it was snowing. But it wasn't normal white snow; it was black.