Orphan

Eternal Flame

When it became morning, Youngsaeng and Hyunjoong headed back to their rooms and crawled under the blankets, fatigued from a long night. The older boy fell asleep right a few seconds after he fell on the mattress but the younger boy was still wide awake.

--------------

Hyunjoong woke up at night to find that the other side of the bed was empty. Youngsaeng was gone.

"Saengie...?" he murmured, sitting up and looking around. The latter wasn't in the room. "Saengie! Where are you? Youngsaeng!"

"Hyung? What are you screaming about?" Kyujong groaned as he kicked open the bedroom door, still in his pajamas and half asleep. "It just woke me up. What's wrong?"

"Saengie! He's gone!" Hyunjoong exclaimed quickly as he jumped off the bed and ran out of the room, looking up and down the hall. "Kyujong! Have you seen him? Where is he?"

"He's..." Kyujong faded off when he walked over the window and opened the curtains slightly, looking out. Hyunjoong hurried over and gasped when he saw Youngsaeng walking into from outside the school grounds.

"What the--" Hyunjoong started but then zipped out, racing downstairs to meet Youngsaeng. He burst out the door despite the sunlight and quickly dragged his lover into the room without seeing what was in the boy's arms. "Where were you?"

He turned and gasped again, this time louder, when he saw an infant in Youngsaeng's arms.

"What the heck?" he exclaimed in shock. "Where did you get this guy from? Why did you go out without me again? Do you know how dangerous it is? What--"

"Hyunjoong," the younger boy interrupted quietly. "Be quiet. Don't disturb him. He's sleeping."

"Who cares about the baby? Why'd you bring him in? You know you're the only exception to be in the building."

"Are you sure?" Youngsaeng asked again as he walked past Hyunjoong. "Come with me to our room."

When they arrived, the younger boy gently set the baby down onto the bed but almost immediately, he began to wail so Youngsaeng had to pick him up again, cradling him until he stopped crying and fell back asleep. "This boy... Look carefully at him," Youngsaeng murmured, sitting down on the bed. "It's faint but look closely."

Hyunjoong squinted and his face scrunched up as he leaned in, inspecting the baby. To his surprise, he could see an tiny aura rising from the boy. An aura that the vampires possessed. "He's..."

"Yeah, he's a halfblood," Youngsaeng told his lover. "The son of a human and a vampire. I couldn't sleep so I went out for a walk and found him abandoned on the streets. I don't know he was left there. A halfblood has royal blood in his veins. I couldn't just leave him there so I decided to bring him back here."

The older boy held his arms out, wanting to try carrying the baby. The latter smiled and slowly transferred the weight onto Hyunjoong but right when he let go, the baby began to cry. The two gasped and the younger boy quickly took the infant back into his arms, calming him down slowly."

"What's the-- Oh my soul!!!!!!!!!" Jungmin screamed from the door. "Why is there a mortal baby here????"

"What???" Key exclaimed and rushed over, gasping. "What are you two doing??????"

Hyunjoong hurried over to them, shushing them and calling everyone over. "This isn't a mortal baby. He's a hafblood," the boy said, gesturing over to the small child in Youngsaeng's arms. "Saengie found him abandoned on the streets and so brought him back."

"A halfblood...?" Taemin echoed as he stood up and approached the baby, holding his arms out.

Youngsaeng hesitated but then passed the baby to Taemin. Again, the newborn began to bawl and the boy had to take him back to soothe him.

"Youngsaeng's like a mother now," Onew murmured in shock. "That baby only likes him."

"A mother?" Hyunjoong muttered. "Does that mean I can be the father?"

Kyujong rolled his eyes and smirked as he slapped his friend playfully on the shoulder. "In your dreams, Hyunjoong."

"What's his name?" Minho questioned.

"He doesn't have one yet," Youngsaeng replied. "I think we should name him."

"You name him," Hyungjun cut in. "You found him, you deserve to name him."

Youngsaeng looked up at his lover, who was gazing at him and the baby. The younger boy smiled. "Hyunsaeng."

"Eh?" Jonghyun's voice came.

"Hyunsaeng," the latter repeated, this time louder. "How's that?"

Hyunjoong brightened and pounced on his lover, kissing him. "That means I'm the father, doesn't it?"

Youngsaeng pecked the older boy's lips and sat up again. "Is that okay?"

"Neh~~~" everyone chimed in and jolted when the baby vampire began to cry loudly. The young boy holding him gasped. "He's hungry... Does anyone have milk or something?"

They looked at each other.

"There should be some in the kitchen," Taemin said. "But the baby bottle... I highly doubt we have one. You're going to go out and buy some baby food and the supplies."

"I'll go buy," Onew volunteered as he stood up. "Hyunsaeng doesn't seem to want anybody else to hold him so Youngsaeng has to stay here."

"Gomawo Onew," Youngsaeng thanked gratefully, smiling.

The latter rushed out with his jacket. A few quickly went down to the kitchen to prepare the milk while the others left the baby alone for Youngsaeng to take care of.

"It's okay, you'll have food soon," Youngsaeng soothed gently, the baby's thin hair. "Don't cry, baby, don't cry."

Hyunjoong sat down beside his lover and gazed at Hyunsaeng. "A halfblood... Why would he be abandoned? Only two halfblood vampires or a human and a vampire are able to give birth to a halfblood baby. Why would they abandon him?"

The younger boy shook his head and shrugged as Hyunsaeng finally quieted down. "All we have to do is take care of him for now. When the time comes, he will be adopted into a real vampire family and be well-taken care of. He--"

"No," Hyunjoong interrupted sternly. "He will not be given away."

"Eh? Why? Hyunsaeng needs a real family. He needs a real mother and father. Us, teenagers, won't be able to look after him well enough. We can't give what real parents can."

"Doesn't matter. He's our child now," the older boy murmured as he softly kissed Youngsaeng. The latter's eyes fluttered closed, responding to the kiss and opening his mouth slightly to let Hyunjoong's tongue slide in.

"Ma..." a soft high-pitched voice came.

They froze and quickly broke away, looking down to see that Hyunsaeng was awake, his large, beady eyes staring sweetly up at Youngsaeng. "Ma," he said again. "Mama..."

"He can talk already?" Youngsaeng murmured in shock. "How old is he?"

"If one's vampire blood is strong, he would be able to learn words and grow much faster than humans. His teeth should also have grown by now. But vampire babies also tend to sleep more," Hyunjoong explained. "The growth spurt ends when he becomes an adult, averaging from the ages 12 to 15 and he stops aging as fast."

The baby's tiny mouth opened as he beamed, showing his already-grown teeth with his sharp canines. "Mama," he said in his child's voice, his arms reaching up to touch Youngsaeng's face. "Goo..."

"Hyunsaeng-ah... Do you know who he is?" Youngsaeng asked the little baby, making him look at Hyunjoong. "Do you know?"

To their surprise, Hyunsaeng began to cry again. Youngsaeng cradled him tightly to his chest, pouting as he took the baby's hand, coaxing him to stop and whispering gentle things in his ear.

"He's your papa," the boy murmured to Hyunsaeng as Hyunjoong leaned his head onto the latter's shoulder.

"Papa..." Hyunsaeng whispered and looked at the other older boy as Youngsaeng lightly brushed his tears away with a smile. Hyunsaeng started to shake his head as he turned away and smiled at the boy who he thought was his mother. "Mama."

"He likes you," Hyunjoong remarked with a pout.

Youngsaeng grinned. "He'll come to like you, don't worry."

"Is he hungry?" Onew's voice floated in from the door.

The two looked up to see Onew walking in with bags hanging from his arms, a baby bottle of warm milk in his hands. He passed it to Youngsaeng, who proceeded immediately to feeding Hyunsaeng.

"He seems happy," the boy said.

"He already knows how to speak," Youngsaeng informed. "It's amazing, huh? Very soon, Hyunsaeng should be able to walk and talk fluently."

"Are you planning to take care of him?" Taemin's voice rang from the door.

Hyunjoong nodded. "Definitely. I don't want to give him away."

"But he needs parents, doesn't he? He needs proper nurturing in order to go through his childhood into adulthood," Taemin protested. "Those without experience shouldn't raise him."

"He's already precious to us," Hyunjoong objected. "Hyunsaeng... actually somewhat resembles Youngsaeng. I don't want another family to take care of him."

"Do you know what about resembles Youngsaeng?" Onew questioned as he walked over to the baby and playfully poked a hole in the cheek. "Cute symmetrical dimples."

It was true. As Hyunsaeng was on the baby bottle, the dimples showed a little bit. Youngsaeng hadn't noticed either until Onew had mentioned it. Hyunjoong grinned. "That's even better. He's actually like our child now."

"Except the problem is that he doesn't seem to accept you as a father," the one carrying the baby joked.

The older boy pouted. "He will soon... Once he gets to know me, he'll definitely know how fun it is to be around me."

"When's his birthday?" Taemin asked.

"He... doesn't have one... I found him and there was nothing else around him so I don't know," Youngsaeng said quietly. "Why don't we make his birthday today? The birth of Hyunsaeng."

"May 4th, that's a nice day," Onew commented. "So his birthday's on May 4th."

"Oh, I think he's getting sleepy," Taemin pointed out as he saw Hyunsaeng's eyelids begin to droop. "We'll leave him alone now. He needs his baby nap."

"How about class?"

"Don't go. He needs you beside him," Onew told Youngsaeng and then walked off with Taemin. "The diapers and food are all in the bag."

"Gangsahamnida," Hyunjoong thanked as the door closed and the three were left alone in the room.