First Day

Eternal Flame

That day, Youngsaeng could barely sleep. Hyunjoong had given him a blanket. He continued to look up at the ceiling as time ticked by. Usually, he'd be taking classes in the daytime, not sleeping, so he wasn't used to it.

"Youngsaeng? Are you awake?" Hyunjoong's voice croaked from the bed.

The boy turned his head to see the older boy sitting up, looking at him. He sighed and also sat up. "Yeah... I guess so..."

"Come sleep on the bed. It's more comfortable," the boy insisted, patting to the empty space beside him. "There's a lot of space here, anyways."

"It's alright. I feel fine here. It's not that bad," Youngsaeng assured.

"No, come here," Hyunjoong persisted as he moved a little more to the side.

With a sigh, Youngsaeng got up and went over to the empty side of the bed. Hyunjoong smiled foolishly as he lifted the blanket, wanting Youngsaeng to go under it. Inhaling, he crawled under the blanket and lay down beside Hyunjoong.

The older boy rolled over to face Youngsaeng, gazing at the latter with a slight smile. Youngsaeng's heart skipped a beat as he stared back. Was this guy always this handsome? The purple eyes... They're so enchanting...

"Hyunjoong," Youngsaeng muttered. "Do all vampires have purple eyes like you?"

Hyunjoong shrugged. "I don't think so. Kyujong, beneath his contacts, has green eyes. A few have blue eyes and yellow eyes. These are the only colors I know of right now. And orange and light brown."

"How about silver?"

"Only exorcists have them."

Youngsaeng hummed as he closed his eyes and took a deep breath, snuggling deeper under the blanket.

"Youngsaeng?"

The younger boy opened his eyes again and looked at Hyunjoong with his shining eyes. "Neh?"

He saw the boy grin cheekily. "I like your eyes the best."

Youngsaeng blushed as he could feel his heart thumping at a faster pace. "O-Oh... I like your eyes, too." He quickly brought the blanket to cover his face before Hyunjoong could see the redness in his cheeks.

The older boy sighed and put his hand on his heart, feeling it racing inside him. He saw Youngsaeng come out from beneath the blanket. "Hyunjoong, when is the Demon Marathon?"

"We hold it annually," Hyunjoong replied, deep in thought. "Usually, it's in the beginning of each year, in January."

Youngsaeng's eyes widened in surprise. "In January...?" he echoed and sat up. He heard the fox's voice again in his head, laughing.

"So... When you hunt demons, your left eye will be activated," the voice snickered. "Good luck with that. Your spirit magic will also be so much stronger. That'll help."

Hyunjoong saw the boy's gaze darken suddenly so he also sat up, worried. Youngsaeng jaws clenched.

"Youngsaeng? Is there something wrong?" he murmured, reaching out to tap the boy but then stopped when he remembered that Youngsaeng didn't like to be touched.

"No..." the boy replied as he lay back down, closing his eyes, taking a deep breath to calm down. "It's nothing..."

Hyunjoong raised his eyebrow in suspicion but shrugged it off. He lay back down and rolled over so that he was facing Youngsaeng again. The mortal boy sighed. A few minutes later, the older boy sensed that the latter was asleep. He smiled and closed his own eyes.