Never Again

Eternal Flame

"Youngsaengie," Hyunjoong started as they sat together outside on a field of a grass, staring up at the moon. "It's almost our anniversary."

The latter stared at him in puzzlement. "Anniversary..."

Hyunjoong smiled and nodded. "When we first met each other, remember? At the piano room?" Youngsaeng nodded in response. "Yeah... it only seems like yesterday..."

"Saengie..."

The younger boy turned to his lover in question, sensing hesitation in his voice. "Yeah? What is it? Something wrong?"

Hyunjoong dug into his coat and pulled out a tiny, red velvet box. Youngsaeng tilted his head in curiosity, gazing at the box in question. "What is it?" The older boy looked up at him, as if in surprise. "What do you mean? You don't recognize this box?"

Youngsaeng shook his head slowly, inching a little closer. "What is it?"

Opening it but before showing the contents to Youngsaeng, he took a deep breath. "Youngsaeng..." The latter continued to stare at him. "I... I really love you..."

The younger boy grinned. "I love you, too. Why are you suddenly so quiet?"

Finally, Hyunjoong turned the box around and gave Youngsaeng a look. The latter's eyes rounded when he saw two rings in the box. "This is..." Hyunjoong nodded. "I... I just wanted you to know how much I love you."

Youngsaeng was speechless for a moment, his heart thumping fast. "I-I... It's really pretty... How much did they cost? You really didn't have to..."

Hyunjoong blushed and took a ring, grabbing Youngsaeng left hand and slipping it on the ring finger. The younger boy looked down at the gold ring twinkling in the moon light on his finger before taking the other ring and making his lover wear it, too.

"My love for you is way bigger than a mere ring," snickered Youngsaeng as he leaned in and connected their lips softly.

Hyunjoong smiled as he returned the kiss, bringing his boyfriend closer and tilting his head to get a better angle. Youngsaeng wrapped his arm around Hyunjoong's neck, intertwining their left hand all the while.

The older boy broke away with sad eyes. Youngsaeng sighed. "It's because of that...?" The latter bit his bottom lip, hugging Youngsaeng tighter. "I don't want to lose you... It's too painful, I can't... I just can't... Imagining a life without you isn't even possible."

Youngsaeng smiled softly as he leaned in and kissed his boyfriend again. "But after this, none of us will get hurt. If history wishes to play as it wants to, then let it. The future has already been decided."

Hyunjoong tightened his grip on Youngsaeng's hand, gritting his teeth as red tears trailed down his cheek. "Please... don't do this..."

"Remember? There is no absolute future. The futures that were shown are only the ones that will happen that day if we don't do anything about it. If we can do something now, then won't it all change?"

"Jebal Youngsaeng... Just let me sacrifice myself for you... please..." sobbed the older boy. Youngsaeng pressed his lips onto Hyunjoong's, moving closer to him until his body was pressed against the latter's.

The two closed their eyes, enjoying the slow kiss. Hyunjoong's eyes burst open when he suddenly realized what Youngsaeng was doing through the kiss. His memories were slowly dissolving, everything was disappearing. His words were muffled with protests as he tried to pull away but for some reason, he couldn't, it was as if their lips were locked. This wasn't what they had agreed on, what they had promised each other to do.

His energy began to rapidly drain as he felt his consciousness fade. Finally, Youngsaeng pulled away and Hyunjoong fell back onto the grass, unconscious. The younger boy smiled sorrowfully, caressing his lover's cheek. He glanced at the ring Hyunjoong had just given him, tears trickling from his eyes. 

"Forgive me Hyunjoong..."

 

*Flashback*

"I can't tell you..." murmured Youngsaeng quietly. "It's... my own personal problems."

Hyunjoong hugged him tighter. "Trust me, Saengie, I can deal with anything. Just confess it all out to me. It doesn't matter what it is. I'll take it."

The younger boy sighed and took a deep breath, starting the explanation of his dream. When he had finally finished, Hyunjoong was staring at him in shock. "What... So that means..."

Youngsaeng nodded. "Yeah..."

"But then if we die together--"

"No," Youngsaeng cut in. "I am not choosing that middle door. The vampire species are just as important as the human species. I'm not going ahead to kill all the vampires just because I want to die together with you."

"Youngsaeng, it's not your responsibility," muttered Hyunjoong. "You are Youngsaeng, and only Youngsaeng. The nine-tailed fox doesn't do anything to change you. You don't have to carry all the burden on your own shoulders. Give some to me."

Youngsaeng didn't know what to say but his heart felt so warm, so thankful. Tears unknowingly began to drip out as he couldn't hold back his sobs. "I don't know what to do anymore..."

Hyunjoong whispered into his ear. "You don't have to know. We will find a way, don't worry. We will definitely find a way."

*End of Flashback*

 

The young boy smiled regretfully and stood up. "I guess this is the only way... It'll be better if we separate."

***

When Hyunjoong stirred, he found himself under the shade of a tree and it was daylight. Furrowing his eyebrows, he can to feel faint and hurried deeper into the shadows, wondering what was happening.

What... am I doing here...? he thought do himself and looked around him, finding himself in the garden with the fountain in the middle.

"Hyunjoong hyung! What are you doing there? Hurry up and get back here!" a voice came from nearby. Turning, the vampire saw his best friend, Kyujong, gesturing him from the other side of the courtyard. Smiling, he was about to stand up when he felt a tug at his finger. There, he spotted a gold ring on his marriage finger.

What's this...? Oh right, I'm engaged now... "I'm coming!"

He hurriedly stumbled forward and burst into the night class building, panting and feeling quite light headed. Kyujong looked at him sternly. "And just what do you think you were doing out there in the sunlight? Hyunsaeng is still here, y'know?"

Hyunjoong scrunched his face, desperately trying to recall what had happened before but nothing came to his mind. "I... don't know. I can't remember."

Kyujong rolled his eyes. "Come on, Hyunsaeng's been waiting for you for a long time. He was almost to tears when we couldn't find you before the sun rose. Thank goodness you weren't sleeping in the sunlight."

Smiling awkwardly, the older vampire headed upstairs after his best friend and entered his room, grinning when he saw Hyunsaeng hurrying over to him, his arms wide open as if gesturing for the boy to pick him up. Hyunjoong scooped him up with a wide smile, bouncing the little toddler in his arms. "Sorry I took so long."

"Where's Mommy?" Hyunsaeng suddenly asked.

Hyunjoong stopped and his smile faded. Immediately, he put it back up and looked at his son. "What do you mean? Didn't I tell you? She's in West Genetics right now. She went over to visit."

Hyunsaeng puffed his round cheeks. "But... Mommy..."

The latter grinned and went over to the bed, placing his son down. "She'll come soon, don't worry."