Prologue

Eternal Flame

"Saengie!" Hyunjoong squealed happily when he saw the little black fox at his window. "You came back!"

"Hyunjoong," the fox started through telepathy, his eyes glowing silver in the dim moonlight. "After today, I won't come anymore."

"Eh? Why?" the child exclaimed as his smile suddenly disappearing into an ugly frown.

"I told you in the beginning," the fox began calmly. "I stayed only so that you would learn that you had a heart. You know that now. There's no reason for me to stay any longer. It's time for me to leave."

"But... I'll be lonely. My parents are never home," Hyunjoong cried, starting to sob without warning. "The servants never talk to me."

“But you forgot something, didn’t you? You have friends now. If you use these feelings, your desire for friends, then you will be able to go outside and play. You won’t be lonely, don’t worry,” the fox assured as he stood up and turned away.

“Wait!” the boy yelled and ran to the window. “If you’re really going, can you allow me to touch you, just this once?”

Though hesitant, the black fox hopped onto the latter's bed and lay down in front of the boy. “Go ahead.”

Hyunjoong immediately brightened and gently placed his hand on the fluffy, dark fur, it lightly. It was smooth, soft, so very soft; softer than a pillow, like cotton.

"This whole time," the fox murmured quietly. "I've used it as an excuse. The fact that your father always told you that vampires were heartless and cold. The fact that I wanted you to know you had feelings buried inside of you was always just an excuse so I could stay longer."

"Saengie," Hyunjoong started. "Why can't you stay longer?"

"If your father were to catch me, you and I would both be in danger," he replied as he jumped up and faced the dark night. "Bye Hyunjoong..."

“Youngsaengie!” the child exclaimed and stuck his head out of the window. "I'll wish on a wishing star and a comet to see you again soon! Just like you taught me!"

As the black fox melted away into the shadows with his tails trailing behind him, he sighed. No Hyunjoong, let’s hope we never meet again.