Demon Marathon: The Hunt

Eternal Flame

Youngsaeng felt his speed and strength increase due to the full moon. He could feel his spirit magic growing inside of him. He was perfectly aware that Hyunjoong's father was tracking him down and following him. He ran through the crowds of people, flashing Fear Inducement at any demon he saw or any group, causing them to kill each other.

I have to lose him somehow... If he finds me, I'm dead. I can't let him catch me.

The boy skidded to stop when he saw a huge crowd of demons in front of him. They saw him and rushed towards him. Youngsaeng grit his teeth and flashed his left eye, sending a large amount of spirit magic towards them. A majority began to shriek and scream, killing each other but there were still a few who were attacking him. Again and again, he used Fear Inducement against the many demons who sprang towards him.

To avoid using his eye more, he began speeding towards the trees where there seemed to be no demons around. He slid down thick tree trunk, resting behind it. A few seconds later, he heard another snarl and saw a few demons in the clearing ahead of him. No. It wasn't a few. It was a monstrous clump, all flying around something dark in the middle.

Great... I just had to choose this place to go to. Now I'm right in front of a demon nest and a vampire is chasing after me... But, if I can just evoke horror in a majority of these demons, then they can destroy the nest themselves, right?

Youngsaeng stayed low and crawled over to the tree closest to the demon nest. There were demon offspring everywhere with adult demons protecting the area. He closed his eyes and accumulated a huge amount of spirit magic in his left eye. With only his right eye open and spirit magic still building up in his left eye, he stepped out from behind the tree, immediately attracting the attention of many of the adults. They immediately began to barreled towards him.

The boy opened his left eye and held onto the tree as his spirit magic surged out of him and to the demons. They began to screech and shriek, darting aimlessly and shooting spirit magic everywhere, wherever they could but not many of them attacked the nest.

Youngsaeng sensed someone behind him and he paled. He looked back and when he saw Hyunjoong's father landing on the ground, he immediately took flight, tearing towards the streets and the buildlings, away from the demon nest he had set into a panic zone. Slowly, he could feel his energy being drained as he continued to flee. It was hard to keep on moving.

With his right silver eye, he soon saw the end of the barrier Hyunjoong had told him about. He stopped and stood on the roof, gently touching it. It rippled slightly when his finger met with the surface. Suddenly, from behind him, a hand grasped his mouth and brought him down into an alleyway. He tried to speak but the head wouldn't let go.

In the shadows, the full moon wasn't shining on him anymore and he couldn't fight the attacker. Finally, the person let him go and he turned to see Hyunjoong with a finger in front of his mouth.

"Shh," the boy ushered quietly, bringing him close, pressing himself and the boy against the shadows wall of the alleyway. "Don't make a sound."

He looked up and saw Hyunjoong's father looking around on the roof and then jumping away. Youngsaeng sighed in relief and looked at the older boy with concern. His right arm was bleeding badly and so was his leg. His back looked as if they had been scratched by the demons.

Youngsaeng began to feel faint from using Fear Inducement so much and when he stood up, he needed the wall to support him. Hyunjoong quickly stopped him from moving.

"Are you okay?" he asked worriedly.

The boy nodded but stopped in his tracks when another group of demons filed into the alleyway, their haunting red eyes gleaming. Youngsaeng and Hyunjoong both tensed up.

Hyunjoong's eyes flitted right to left, searching for an escape route but there was none. Youngsaeng can't fight right now. If he uses his power one more time, he's going to collapse and that's not going to do us any good. We have to get out of here alive somehow...

"Youngsaeng," Hyunjoong growled, his pupils dilating. "Stay back. I'll protect you, okay?"

"No, you can't kill them all on your own," the boy argued. "I'll help somehow. I'll do something."

"If you want to help, stay behind me. Don't try anything else until I say so," Hyunjoong ordered as he started using the power Onew had used, magic arrows. Instead, the boy had a bow and shot one arrow, in the air, it became hundreds and rained down upon the demons.

Youngsaeng, panting at the back, watched as Hyunjoong tried to hold them back but once again, there was no end to the demons. They kept coming and coming, inching closer bit by bit even with the arrows constantly killing them. Soon, the boy stopped using the bow and instead, rushed forward towards the demons as he did in the hunting spree with his inflamed hands, and slashed through them.

Youngsaeng bit his bottom lip. Now I can't use Fear Inducement against them since Hyunjoong is also there. The only thing I can do is watch. If I join in on close-combat, I'm only going to be a burden. But he's getting hurt... The demons are overpowering him... One vampire isn't enough to take on all of these. Are there other things my eye can do?

The boy closed his left eye and gathered spirit magic. He stopped. But this process is the same as Fear Inducement. If I open my left eye, then I'm only going to be using that power, right?

Hyunjoong, even though he was an incredibly strong vampire, hissed when he felt pain searing through his back as a demon managed to scratch him again before getting killed. I'm losing so much blood... But Youngsaeng's still behind me, he still needs protection... I have to hold on and try to get us out of here...

Youngsaeng grit his teeth and opened his left eye anyway. Instead of a flash, his eye turned red for a second before going back to silver. He looked behind him and smiled, the rosario crackling with electricity.

"So, I summoned you, huh..." he snickered.

The spirit of the nine-tailed fox smirked. "So... What do you want me to do, master? It feels nice to be outside. But I guess what I do has to be your commands."

"Go kill all of the demons you see there but don't touch the vampire."

"Eh? Why? This is a good chance to kill the vampires," the giant nine-tailed fox protested. "Anyways, if I kill the rest of them now, you won't turn into me when you turn 18."

"No, I'll find a way," Youngsaeng said. "Go and destroy the demons, if you may."

The nine-tailed fox sighed and leaped forward. Hyunjoong saw it and his eyes widened. The nine-tailed fox? It appeared now? It's going to kill me, isn't it? Youngsaeng... But to his surprise, the nine-tailed fox's tails and claws didn't touch him, instead, they slashed through all the burning demons, destroying them instantly.

Then he noticed that the fox didn't seem to be solid, instead, like a spirit. He looked at Youngsaeng and saw that he was running over to him. Youngsaeng kneeled down and began to inspect his wounds. "Hyunjoong, are you okay? You're really hurt... I'm sorry, I should've learned how to summon guardians faster."

"You... summoned the nine-tailed fox...?" Hyunjoong murmured in disbelief. "No way... How...?"

"I just... did," Youngsaeng said with a shrug. "It was the same concept as Fear Inducement. I guess it depends on what you want."

"Hey Youngsaeng, I'm done," a deep voice came from beside them.

Youngsaeng smiled and stood up, looking up at the nine-tailed fox. "Thanks a lot. You really saved me there."

"Not a problem," the fox chuckled in his deep voice. "Call me out anytime. I enjoy running around again. It's really stuffy where I usually am."

"What's happening?" a voice came from behind Youngsaeng. He turned to see the vampires and exoricsts staring at the nine-tailed fox in shock.

"Omo! Hyunjoong!" Kyujong exclaimed and hurried over to the vampire, who had passed out from blood loss.

In a flash, the group of officials had also gathered there, their eyes wide with surprise and disbelief when they saw the nine-tailed fox.

"Ya, let me kill a few of these," the nine-tailed fox snarled. "The demons don't taste that good."

"What can you expect?" Youngsaeng chuckled. "Demons are also spirits, you can't exactly taste them, can you?"

He pet the giant fox. "Anyways, thanks for helping me, I really needed it. You can go now." Youngsaeng grinned, feeling a little guilty that he had to put the nine-tailed fox back into the cross.

The nine-tailed fox sighed. "Fine." He shut his eyes and evaporated into smoke. The rosario on Youngsaeng stopped crackling and he turned back to the group.

They all just stared at him. He saw Hyunjoong lying on the cold cement, unconscious and his eyes widened. He had been so distracted by the nine-tailed fox that he had forgotten to keep an eye on the boy. "Hyunjoong!"