Clueless

Eternal Flame

While Nicole was in class, Hyunjoong sat on the bed, still thinking about the boy he supposedly loved but then forgot about. Hyunsaeng stayed beside him, fiddling with the ring, a smile always on his face.

 

"Yeah, I know him. He knows you, too and you know him. It's just that you can't remember him. You have already met him again, from what I've heard from your conversations. That's all I will say."

"If you manage to get Hyunsaeng to learn enough words to explain in more detail before the midnight of November 3rd, then it's your win. If you can't find who he is by then, then let's hope you will never remember him."

 

November 3rd? Why November 3rd? Is something happening on that day? That's in two weeks... And where's the clue? Is that the clue? No, there's gotta be something else. Deep in his thoughts, he didn't notice Hyunsaeng poking him.

"Daddy, out!" gurgled the toddler, grinning again. Hyunjoong snapped out of his daze and looked over at his son with a smile. "Arasseo, it's been a long time hasn't it? Kaja."

Taking Hyunsaeng's hand, Hyunjoong led him out of the room and outside. Hyunsaeng placed the golden ring into his pocket safely, being careful not to lose it. He ran outside, finally being able to breath the fresh, cool night air and jumped around in the leaves, giggling.

"Mommy!" he suddenly began to shout. "Mommy! Eodiya?!"

Hyunjoong jerked in surprise and hurried over, picking him up and shushing up. "Be quiet, there are people sleeping. You shouldn't disturb them."

The latter pouted. "Mommy... Yeogi..."

The older boy knotted his eyebrows and placed Hyunsaeng down on the ground, kneeling in front of him. "What are you saying? Youngsaeng, he's here?"

Hyunsaeng nodded determinely and began to run away again, laughing and squealing as he hopped into piles of leaves. Hyunjoong watched in puzzlement. "There's no Youngsaeng in the Night class, at least not that I know of. If he's here in this school... Then that means..." he muttered carefully to himself. "That means he's in the Day class?"

Hyunjoong bent down to eye level with Hyunsaeng again. "Hyunsaeng, Youngsaeng... Is he... Is he a human? Not a vampire? A human." Hyunjoong made sure to mouth out the words for the toddler.

Hyunsaeng shook his head and kneeled down on the dirt, using his index finger as he tried to draw something he didn't know how to say. Hyunjoong watched. The little boy drew a small circle and a larger oval connected to the circle. From the bottom of the oval, he drew nine wiggly lines coming out. The vampire frowned. "Is... that Youngsaeng?"

The toddler nodded with a bright grin again before jumping up and continuing to hop his way into the leaves. Hyunjoong studied the drawing. What was that thing? It really didn't look like a person at all.

"Mo--" the voice was cut off.

Hyunjoong turned with wide eyes and saw that Hyunsaeng was nowhere to be seen. "Hyunsaeng? Hyunsaeng! Where'd you go? Come back here! Hyunsaeng!"

Suddenly feeling afraid, Hyunjoong began to search behind the trees and under the bushes, running frantically around in search of Hyunsaeng. He felt like if he lost that boy, he would have lost everything but where was he?

"Hyunsaeng!" he exclaimed, whipping his head around from side to side.

Without warning, he saw his son toddle out from behind the Night class building, pulling a boy by the hand with him. Hyunjoong froze when he saw that it was the cute boy, Kyuyoung. When the Day class student saw the vampire, he smiled awkwardly. "An-annyeonghaseyo."

"He is Mommy!" Hyunsaeng huffed, gripping tightly onto the boy's hand.

Hyunjoong chuckled nervously as he scooped up his son and bowed in apology to the boy. "I'm sorry... My son must've made a mistake. He's really missing his mom right now so--"

"Gwenchana," the latter cut off, smiling gently.

That's when Hyunjoong noticed that his heart was feeling warm again, as if that hole was filled. Kyuyoung made his heart pound and in the dark, his cheeks red. Hyunsaeng held his arms out, wanting to be held by the other boy.

"H-he want you to hold him... Can you?" said Hyunjoong.

Kyuyoung nodded. "Yes, of course." The boy walked forward and held his arms out. Hyunjoong cautiously placed the squirming Hyunsaeng into the arms of the student. The latter smiled. "He's so cute. How old?"

Hyunjoong mentally sighed. This definitely wasn't Youngsaeng. If it was, then how wouldn't he know Hyunsaeng's age? And why would his name be Kyuyoung? "He's around a year old. I don't know for sure since my fiancé found him abandoned in the streets."

The younger boy nodded and turned to Hyunsaeng. "Ah... I see... Aigoo, what's your name?"

Hyunjoong's heart skipped a beat when he saw that sweet smile Kyuyoung gave to Hyunsaeng and found it somewhat similar to Hyunsaeng's. The toddler pouted and hit the student playfully on the shoulder.

"Hyunsaeng, don't hit him," scolded the vampire.

Hyunsaeng pouted as he looked at Kyuyoung. The latter simply smiled. "Hyunsaeng, right? That's an unusual name. Do you like it?" The toddler nodded right away.

Kyuyoung sighed and put him down. "That's good. Your mom wouldn't be happy if you didn't like your name, right?"

"Mommy!" exclaimed Hyunsaeng and held his arms upwards to be picked up again.

Hyunjoong flashed a crooked smile and pulled his son back. "Sorry, I think he mistook you for his mom."

"His mom's a boy?"

The latter nodded. "Yeah, apparently. I really don't understand how but I can't seem to remember him. I mean, how is this possible, right? How can I not remember somebody I took care of this child with? And I'm someone with good memory, too."

Kyuyoung smiled gently. "Perhaps you'll remember one day but don't you think there may be a reason as to why you can't remember? Maybe that person did something to your memories."

Hyunjoong stopped. This boy was talking as if he knew what had happened. Giving him extremely possible answers but what made him feel like this. "Kyuyoung, I--"

He looked up and was startled to see that the boy had disappeared again. Whipping around quickly, he didn't see anybody. Again, it was like he was talking to no one.

"Mommy..." whimpered Hyunsaeng with a pout.

Hyunjoong picked up his son and looked around one last time for that Day class boy before heading back to the NIght class building, utterly confused.