New Room

Eternal Flame

After class, the Headmaster paid Youngsaeng another visit.

"So how was your first night in the Night class?" the man asked curiously.

"It was nothing like the Day class lessons. We barely even learned any math or science or any of that," Youngsaeng replied. "We just talked about... demons and the nine-tailed fox."

"That's the life of a vampire," the Headmaster joked. "Vampires don't live in the daylight so they don't need to work. They never really had anything to do. Now, they work to protect humans and destroy any threats being made to them."

"Like guardians of the night?"

"Exactly. Exorcists are also like vampires. Their job is to also protect humans. What's amazing is that they used to be the vampire's enemies. Ever since the nine-tailed fox and the demons appeared, the two began to work together," the Headmaster said with a chuckle.

"Headmaster," Hyunjoong began as he walked into the room. "Have you already assigned Youngsaeng to a room?"

"Ah, yes," the man said as he quickly stood up and gestured Youngsaeng to follow him. "I've moved Kyujong into Hyungjun's room. Since Kyujong hates sleeping alone anyway, I decided that he can have a roommate."

"Can I have a roommate, too?" Hyunjoong suddenly requested.

The Headmaster looked at him in puzzlement. "Oh? Why?"

"I... feel lonely at night," the boy stated sheepishly. "The bed feels cold."

The elder man laughed and patted the vampire on the shoulder. "It's alright, you'll get used to it. Come on Youngsaeng, I'll show you to your new room."

The younger boy followed the man out of the room. Hyunjoong watched him go sadly. Aw... I wanted him to stay...

The Headmaster opened the door to the room. Youngsaeng gasped. "I have to sleep in this large room all by myself?"

"It's yours now," the man replied with a smile. "I'll get your stuff. You settle down here. Arasseo?"

"Eo... Neh... Gangsahamnida..."

When the man left, Youngsaeng went over to the well-made bed and gently pushed into it with his hands. It was soft, like Hyunjoong's bed. He flopped onto it, face first, feeling the bounce. Wow, these beds are nice... It's king-sized, too... The ones in the Day class dorms are so much smaller. The rooms aren't even half the size of this one... Amazing.

"Youngsaeng, here are your bags," the Headmaster said from the door. "Take your time to unpack. There's no hurry."

"Neh, gangsahamnida!" the boy answered as he bowed politely and the elder man closed the door with a smile.

Youngsaeng quickly opened the curtains and gazed out into the night sky. The billions of stars hung from the sky, twinkling their own small light, each doing their part to light up the sky. He opened the window and stuck his head out, taking a deep breath and closing his eyes to enjoy the fresh air.

A few seconds later, he changed into his pajamas and got ready to go to sleep. He crawled under the covers and inhaled deeply as he closed his eyes.

"Youngsaeng?" Hyunjoong's voice came from the door.

The boy on the bed sat up and saw the older boy tightly hugging a pillow in his pajamas. "Oh? Hyunjoong, what are you doing here?"

"I... have a small request..."

"What is it? I owe you anyway for saving me."

Hyunjoong blushed. "Can... Can I sleep with you tonight...?"

Youngsaeng raised his eyebrow. "Why?"

"I feel lonely on my own in that room... I usually have Kyujong sleeping beside me but he probably has enough company with Hyungjun. Please...? Pretty please...?"

Youngsaeng smiled lightly and move to the left side of the bed, closer to the window. "Sure, come in. I don't really want to sleep on my own either."

"Oh, then can we be roommates then? I can talk to the Headmaster. I'm sure he'll agree if you stay in my room!"

"But I'm human. I can't sleep with a vampire every night," Youngsaeng laughed and lay back down. "Come on. Lie down."

Hyunjoong pouted and hurried over after he closed the door behind him, quickly sliding under the blanket and moving a little closer to Youngsaeng. Yay~ I get to sleep with Youngsaeng again. Having him beside me feels like Saengie is sleeping next to me. It's nostalgic somehow...

Youngsaeng yawned and turned away so that he was facing the window. Hyunjoong looked at him longingly. "Youngsaengie... Face me..."

The latter suddenly froze. Youngsaengie? He sat up and looked at Hyunjoong. "Did you just call me Youngsaengie?"

Hyunjoong jolted, startled. "Uh... Yeah... Did you not like it? I'm sorry. When I was small, I met a fox and his name was also Youngsaeng. I called him Youngsaengie or Saengie so I automatically called you that. I'm sorry if you didn't like it."

No way... Hyunjoong is the one I had met 11 years ago... I wanted to stay far away from him... How did I end up with him again?

He smiled as he lay down and faced Hyunjoong. "No, it's alright. You can call me that if you want."

Hyunjoong brightened immediately. "Really? Yay~"

Youngsaeng grit his teeth. If they find out I'm the fox... Not only I'm going to chased but he's going to get involved in this mess, too... I can't let them find out. I just can't.