The Nine-Tailed Fox

Eternal Flame

In class, Mr. Ryu began a demon lecture again and informed everybody about the barrier.

"The Headmaster has left to visit the Council of Night," Mr. Ryu reported. "He will be back in about a week."

Taemin put his hand up. "Why?"

"The barrier around the school grounds is thinning out," the teacher explained thoroughly. "He told me that the spirit magic around is breaking up the barrier and that's why there's rain coming in from the outside."

"The nine-tailed fox hasn't even appeared yet," Onew pointed out. "How can the spirit magic still be that strong?"

"It's not that strong anymore," Mr. Ryu corrected. "It's become even stronger. It's slowly growing to the point when the nine-tailed fox was here. Not yet though."

Youngsaeng listened intently.

Mr. Ryu continued to speak. "The Council doesn't know where the spirit magic is coming from but we're assuming that the nine-tailed fox has already been born again, if it had died through another four generations already."

"How do you know the nine-tailed fox isn't still alive?" Hyunjoong asked.

"A full grown nine-tailed fox is taller and larger than the school. Remember how big the nine-tailed fox Youngsaeng summoned was? The real full-sized fox is a bit larger."

"But that one was already huge," Jungmin exclaimed, astounded. "It was... at least seven times bigger than this room! And talk about that height! It was almost as tall as a eight-story building!"

Mr. Ryu nodded. "The adult nine-tailed fox would probably be larger than that. Its nine tails are incredibly long and you can literally see the spirit magic contained within the fur."

"Were you there when they fought the 99th generation?" Hyungjun questioned curiously.

"Yes, I am a veteran," the man laughed.

"Who was the one that killed the nine-tailed fox?" Minho asked.

"An extremely strong vampire named Strauss," Mr. Ryu replied with a sigh. "He was the type who would sacrifice himself to protect those around him. Well, almsot every vampire thinks that way but it's easier said than done. It had already been a few weeks since the 99th generation nine-tailed fox appeared. We found out that in that few weeks, he had developed a way to kill it."

"How did he kill it?" Key asked in excitement.

"I don't know."

The whole class fell silent. Hyunjoong raised an eyebrow. "How... did he kill it...?"

"I just said that I don't know," Mr. Ryu repeated.

"But you said you were there when it happened!" Hyungjun exclaimed.

"I was there to fight it but when the nine-tailed fox died, I was already unconscious," Mr. Ryu said with a chuckle. "I still have a scar on my back from one of the tails. It only grazed me but it still carved a pretty deep mark in me."

Youngsaeng stayed silent. Even though he had read the book, inside of him, he knew that the way to kill the nine-tailed fox was false. The only way to kill the nine-tailed fox was to gauge out it's heart but that was impossible for vampires to do for the fox had three hearts in its chest and just touching the fur would melt the being. For vampires, there was no way to kill the nine-tailed fox, no matter what they did. The only other way for a vampire were to kill the fox, the vampire would have to have the some of the blood of the fox contained within him in order to have, at least, a little bit of defense against the strong spirit magic that the nine-tailed fox possessed.

Hyunjoong noticed that Youngsaeng wasn't listening again, his mind somewhere else. He gently leaned and pressed his lips against the latter's. The younger boy quickly pulled away and stared at him.

"What's wrong? Are you still tired?" Hyunjoong asked worriedly. "You weren't listening again."

"Sorry... I'm just kind of... out of it these days."

"I can tell. Just try your best to listen."

Youngsaeng nodded and turned back to the teacher, who was still talking about what had happened during the fight with the nine-tailed fox.

"What did the exorcists do?" Taemin asked, his eyes wide.

"They were not as evolved back then," Mr. Ryu confessed. "Now, they have become much stronger and faster with more stigmata and better compatibility rates but before, exorcists were only strong enough to barely kill demons. So they were almost wiped out."

"But... don't exorcists have defenses against spirit magic?" Minho asked, a little confused.

Mr. Ryu shook his head. "They used to be enemies of the vampires. They have defenses against magic but somehow, the scientists have no idea how spirit magic works so they have not been able to build a mechanism that is able to protect the exorcists against spirit magic. Even if they did, I highly doubt it would do much against the nine-tailed fox."

"So... That means we're all gonna die!!!" Taemin shouted as he began to shake Minho by the collar, almost in tears.

Minho didn't object and was shaken around by the boy. Key stopped Taemin and scolded him.

Youngsaeng furrowed his eyebrows as he listened. In order to hide the nine-tailed fox's identity, my parents managed to seal him into a rosario so that I could live a normal life up until I turned 18. From what I've learned from the fox within me, is that since the fox's blood is strong, it can heal extremely fast so even if magic hurts the fox, it shouldn't die from excessive bleeding or anything like that. If it's like that, if the wounds always healed, if the tails grew back, if it barely bled and its spirit magic never ran out... Then how did the 99th generation fox die so soon?

"Saengie," Hyunjoong murmured gently, shaking the boy.

Youngsaeng looked up at him. "Neh? What is it?"

"Come on, let's go back to our room."

"Why? Class hasn't ended yet," Youngsaeng objected as Hyunjoong began to pull him away.

"No, it's no use coming to class if you aren't going to listen," Hyunjoong told him with a sigh.

"Where are you two going?" Mr. Ryu asked.

"Youngsaeng's not feeling well," the boy replied and dragged the latter out of the classroom, heading back to their own room.

"Hyunjoong, I'm not tired and I feel fine," Youngsaeng protested. "I just have a lot on my mind right now."

When they got back to the dorm, Hyunjoong set Youngsaeng on the bed and took a chair, sitting right in front of the boy, his eyes serious.

"Tell me what's on your mind. Just spill everything out. You're always in a daze or thinking about something, you're almost never present anymore. Come on, just tell me, okay? Tell me everything," Hyunjoong pleaded the boy, taking his hands.

Youngsaeng looked away and in his head, two sides were debating and shouting at each other.

"Tell him! It'll solve everything! It's better if he knows now than later. He'll find out either way."

"No, don't tell him! It won't solve anything! They'll just all turn against you and try to kill you!"

"You have to tell him!"

"Don't tell him!"

Youngsaeng swallowed nervously and looked down at the boy sitting in front of him, his eyes full of fear and anguish. Hyunjoong his cheek. "There's nothing to be afraid of... Just tell me anything. You can say it. It's alright."

"I..." the boy began. "I'm..."

"Yeah?"

"Please... Don't hate me after I tell you this... Please don't hate me..."

Hyunjoong got up and wrapped his arms around the younger boy, closing his eyes and gently patting his back. "I would never hate you. I love you, Youngsaeng. How could I hate you? Now tell me, alright? It's just to clear your mind and help you relax a little bit."

Youngsaeng felt tears well up and he quickly wiped his eyes but they kept coming.

"I'm... I'm the nine-tailed fox."