Yonghwa - Part 17 "Seohyun's Birthday"

Playing Cupids

 

On a busy hall with 17 people going here and there busy preparing for a big event the coming day a phone suddenly rang.

“Yah! Who’s taking calls at this time? Just ignore that call. We are in the middle of practicing. We need to perfect this before the day ends.” One of the leaders shouted.

“I’m sorry hyung, I need to take this, it’s HER.”

Everybody then stopped from whatever they were doing especially the main guy in the room. They were all interested in that particular call.

“Put it in speaker phone.” Ordered one of the girls so the boy followed.

“Hello?”

“Jaejin-ah!”

“Yes Joohyun.”

“Where are  you right now?”

“I’m at FNC practicing with the band. Why? Is there any problem?”

“Ah not really. What time will you be finished?”

“In about 30 minutes to an hour. Is there something wrong?” He then shot a look at Yonghwa.

“Can we meet? I need someone to talk to.” Jaejin then looked at her unnies. All looked a bit hurt since she called him and not them.

“Where are you unnies?”

“I can’t talk to them about it. They will definitely do something that will cause more problems.” Her unnies looked at Yonghwa who was just staring at the phone.

“Okay. Where can we meet?”

“You can just come here in our dorm. No one’s around. For some reason all of them went out though I’m very thankful for the situation coz I won’t have to face them right now. They will know something’s wrong with me.”

“Okay, I’ll be there as soon as we finish practicing. Will you be fine until then?”

“Yah, see you later. Thanks.”

“No problem. Bye.”

The call ended. Everyone stayed silent. Yuri then went in front of Yonghwa “You better be sure this thing will work or else...” Yonghwa just looked at her and nodded. He heard the pain in her voice. He hated himself for hurting her more. He promised himself he’d die winning her back.

After finishing up with their practice, Jaejin told everyone that he’d go ahead of them. As he was going out he saw Yonghwa waiting for him by the exit.

“Can we talk?”

“Sure hyung. What about?”

“Are you also mad at me?”

“Yes.” Jaejin said looking at Yonghwa straight in the eyes. “You know hyung, if only I can spare her from the pain you continuously cause her I would.  It hurts to see her crying over and over again. This will not be the first time she called me out because of you. Yuri noona’s right, this plan of yours better work. I sincerely hope that it’s not yet too late for you.”

 

Seohyun was trying to read a book when she heard the doorbell rang. She ran up to the door opened it. The two friends looked at each other, the boy smiled, the girl tried to smile but tears fell from her eyes instead. Jaejin went in and hugged Seohyun. Seohyun started to cry in his chest. They stayed like that for a while, and when Jaejin felt that she calmed down he then looked at her and wiped her tears. “Can we talk about it now?” he asked her and she nodded.

They decided to leave the dorms. Seohyun knew that sooner or later her unnies will be coming back and she doesn’t want them to see her like that. Jaejin just followed her and soon found themselves staring at the night lights of Seoul.

“I just confessed to oppa last night. I told him everything.”

“I guess it didn’t turn out the way you want it too or else you won’t be crying like that huh?”

“After I told him I like him, he just stared at me. He didn’t say anything.”

“Nothing at all?”

“None whatsoever.”

“Want me to go to him now and punch him in the face? I would love to do that for you.”

“No need. I don’t even want to see him anytime soon. I’m too ashamed to face him right now.”

“You should never feel shame for telling him what you feel.”

“Can we change the venue of our practice tomorrow? Practicing in FNC will have a big possibility of meeting him.”

“Don’t worry about it. He has a tight schedule tomorrow. You won’t be meeting him when we’re having our practice, I assure you that.”

“Really?”

“Really.”

“I’m tired.”

“I know you are.”

“It’s been months since I’ve waited for him. Maybe it’s time for me to let go.”

“Is that what you really want?”

“No. But I don’t want to feel this pain anymore.”

“Do you regret having feelings for him?”

“No. I’m happy it was him. If I would turn back time I would still want him to be my first love. I love him you know. But it’s time to let go.”

“What if he told you he loves you too sometime soon?”

“I don’t think that would happen. Last night would have been the perfect time to tell me if he does have feelings for me but his silence just confirmed everything. Maybe he didn’t say anything ‘coz he doesn’t want to hurt me by rejecting me directly.”

“Maybe he was shocked Seo Joohyun the forever innocent maknae of SNSD confessed to him?”

“I don’t think so. He would’ve called but until now, I didn’t receive any calls from him or even a message. It just proved that he’s avoiding me too.”

“I don’t know Joohyun. Don’t you think you shouldn’t close any doors just yet?”

“I don’t know.”

“Hey, its midnight, Happy birthday!”

“Happy birthday... Is it really a happy birthday?”

“It will be... You should go home. It’s getting late. Time for your beauty sleep.”

“Thank you.”

“For what?”

“For listening.”

“Yah, we’re friends. You know I’d do anything for you.”

“I know and I love you for that.”

“I love you too Joohyun.”

The two friends hugged each other, thankful for the wonderful friendship they share.

 

That morning Seohyun got up early. She texted Jaejin telling him she will go to FNC earlier than the agreed time to practice. It seems her unnies are still sleeping, they went home very late and she still can’t face them just yet. She then prepared her stuff and silently left the dorms. As soon as Seohyun left, one by one her unnies went out of their bedrooms and also prepared to leave.

Much to Seohyun’s surprise, Jaejin and Minhyuk were already at the studio. The boys smiled at her. She looked at Minhyuk and said “Happy birthday!”

“Happy birthday to you too!”

All of them laughed. “You guys are old.”

“What are you talking about Jaejin? We’re just the same age.”

“Minhyuk-ah, you two are 6 months older than me. I’m still younger than both of you.”

“Yes, and you’re also 6 months more immature than us.” Seohyun said earning a high five from Minhyuk and a frown from Jaejin.

The three joked around and talked about anything under the sun. They talk about personal plans, group schedules and their managements. Seohyun was thankful that Yonghwa’s name was never mentioned in their conversations even if the two boys are both good friends of him. Time flies when you’re having fun. Though their original plan for coming early was to practice, they didn’t have time to do that with all the joking and laughing that they were doing.

After a while the door opened and Jinwoon who was holding a big brown teddy bear came in. Minhyuk then ran towards him and tried to take the bear away from him “Oh I love this. Thank you. I love teddy bears.” He said. The two tall boys with both their arms raised fighting over a big teddy bear made Jaejin and Seohyun burst to another round of laughter.

“In your dreams Minhyuk. This is not for you.” Jinwoon said trying to keep the bear away from Minhyuk.

“But it’s my birthday today. I thought this is my gift?” Minhyuk said as he tries to get the bear from Jinwoon.

“You’re not the only one celebrating your birthday today fool.” Jinwoon then dodged Minhyuk and fell on his knees towards Seohyun. “Happy birthday Seohyun.”

Seohyun smiled at his friend. “Thank you Jinwoon. This is so pretty.” Seohyun then hugged the bear and played with it. Minhyuk was sulking and Seohyun saw him and threw him the bear. “Here, you can play with it for a while but I’m taking that bear home okay?”

Minhyuk beamed, Jinwoon frowned, Jaejin again laughed and Seohyun just smiled at her friends. Maybe it will really be a happy day for her.

Soon enough they started their practice. It was different from their first day of practice. It seems the atmosphere is lighter and they were quite satisfied with the results after 4 hours of practice. While they were preparing to leave, Jinwoon then turned to Seohyun, “Seohyun, do you have plans today?”

Jaejin and Minhyuk looked at each other. “Want to have lunch with me?” Jinwoon continued to ask.

“We would love to.” Jaejin then said.

Minhyuk knew he too needs to do something, “That’s good idea. Let’s celebrate our birthday together Seohyun.”

“Sure. That would be fun. Let’s go.” Seohyun told the boys much to Jinwoon’s disappointment.

After lunch the group decided to go to an amusement park. They bought disguises. All of them bought huge sunglasses that almost covered half of their faces. In addition to that, Jaejin produced the wigs that they used in Flower Rock MV. Minhyuk used the afro wig, Seohyun wore Hongki’s blond shoulder length wig, Jaejin wore Seunghyun’s waist length wig and Jinwoon who was wearing a hoodie just put it in his head and wore a bull cap on top of it.

The all looked ridiculous. It’s a good thing no one recognize them even though they were really eye catching. Minhyuk and Jaejin made sure that Jinwoon won’t get near Seohyun. They knew their hyung will kill them if they let that happen. Jinwoon was getting very frustrated. It was like the other two boys were Seohyun’s bodyguard. They would always interrupt them everytime they were alone. In the end he gave up and decided to just enjoy the day with them.

Jinwoon who still have some schedules for the day left them first. Seohyun, Jaejin and Minhyuk found themselves on a cafe resting from all the fun they did that day. Jaejin’s phone then signalled of an incoming message. “Guys I guess I need to leave first. They’re calling me, we still need to practice for our upcoming performance. Minhyuk, will you take her home?”

“No it’s ok. I can just take the taxi.” Seohyun offered.

“I would love to send you home.” Minhyuk said.

“Then it’s a deal. I’ll be going then. Take care of her okay?”

“Yah just go. They’re waiting for you. I’ll take care of her.” Jaejin then hugged Seohyun and said “Happy birthday Joohyun. Remember, I will do anything to make you happy right?”

“I know. Thank you. Take care okay. Call me.”

Jaejin then left the two. Seohyun was looking out of the window when Minhyuk said, “You two are really close huh?”

“Yes. I don’t know what I’d do without him.”

“He’s a very good friend.”

“He is.”

“But what will happen to you two when one of you got himself or herself a girlfriend/boyfriend?”

“What do you mean?”

“Won’t your boyfriend get jealous?”

“Maybe but if he loves me, he would trust me. He would know I won’t go into a relationship if I’m not a 100% sure of my feelings. Jaejin’s a special friend but he’s still just a friend.”

“I guess I know what you mean. Ahh Seohyun is it ok if we drop by FNC before I send you home. I need to do something there but it won’t take long.”

“Okay. No problem.”

“So, shall we go?”

“Let’s go.”

The two continued to talk as they went back to FNC. It was around 8 pm when they reached FNC. “Have you toured around our building? I know you’ve been here quite a few times now but have you seen all our facilities?”

“Not really.”

“Would you want to see?”

“Would it be okay? Since it’s kinda late.”

“It’s okay. You trust me right? You know I’m not a ert and I’m not here to do something bad right?”

“Yah of course you’re not a bad person. No one born today is a bad person.”

The two of them laughed and Minhyuk started with the tour. Seohyun who was a talent of one of the biggest agency in the country was quite impressed with FNC. Since two of their main talents are both bands, there are so many musical instruments lying around. She was impressed that they have individual rooms where you can play guitar, keyboard, bass and drums. Seohyun and Minhyuk talked about their training days and how different it was. Minhyuk told her about their pre-debut life in Japan. When they were nearing the end of the tour, Minhyuk then let her to two big doors.

“Behind this door you’ll find FNC’s pride and joy.” Minhyuk then opened the door and Seohyun entered. It was totally dark then the door behind her closed. For some reason she wasn’t scared but she was shocked when suddenly a spotlight hit her. She was temporarily blinded and as her eyes slowly adjust to her surroundings, she realized that in front of her was a stage where a soft light was cast. She saw five boys there and the one holding a bass guitar smiled at her and mouthed “Happy birthday.” Just then she heard a very familiar song, a song she loves in one of Yoona’s drama.

Live each day without you
Living each day forgetting about you
I can live without love
I can live without love
I keep thinking that

I live each day with tears
I fight back each day
I can’t forget you like this
I regret living like this too late

After they’re gone, you realise it’s love
After i sleep i think you’d be back
Even if you hurt me
Even if you sadden me
There is no one like you

Seohyun’s tears fell. She knew, she knows he’s here somewhere. She tried to look around and look for the face that haunts her every night.


You think you know but you don’t. That is love
Even if you’re hurt but you miss it. That is love
I try to forget you
I try to throw it away
But my love is only for you

I pretend I’m busy every day
It’s hard to live through each day
I say I’ll forget you no matter what
But however hard i try, i keep falling

Little did she know that he was just beside her all this time. He cried when she cried. He almost lost control. He wanted to hug her and beg her to take him back but he knows it’s still not the right time. He needs to wait.


After they’re gone, you realise it’s love
After i sleep i think you’d be back
Even if you hurt me
Even if you sadden me
There is no one like you

You think you know but you don’t. That is love
Even if you’re hurt but you miss it. That is love
I try to forget you
I try to throw it all away
But i can’t


Then a small light was cast in the middle of the room where she saw a table for two with flowers around it. She slowly walk towards it and sat in one of the chairs. Tears can’t seem to stop flowing. She wants to see him. She tried to look but the tears and darkness are preventing her to see clearly.

Separating and leaving again. That is love
Hating again and again. That is love

He then looked at her one more time and turned around and left her side.

After they’re gone, you realise it’s love
After i sleep i think you’d be back
Even if you hurt me
Even if you sadden me
There is no one like you

You think you know but you don’t. That is love
Even if you’re hurt but you miss it. That is love
Even though I try to forget you
Even though I try to throw it all away
You are my only love.

The lights suddenly went on. She looked around her and found herself in a middle of a beautiful hall. It was decorated with lots of balloons and flowers. She looked at the band in front of her, they all smiled at her. “Where is he?” She asked but they just smiled at her and Jonghoon started to play his guitar and Hongki started to sing:

It wasn’t supposed to be love
It was never supposed to be
I fooled myself many times before,

But my hearts keeps on calling you

Jungshin, Minhyuk and Jonghyun then came to her carrying baskets of gogumas. As soon as put the gogumas down at her feet, Yoona appeared handing her a note. “Happy Birthday Hyun! I kept our two rows of goguma plot and these are the produce. At least it was fruitful this year.” The note says. “Where is he?” She shouted but still no one answered her.

 

Before I tried to run away
I tried to push a step away
But even then you were growing bigger inside me

I must love you this much
I must wait for you this much
No matter how much it hurts, my heart can’t leave you

There must be one love
My heart won’t change
The love I protected for you,

now I can tell you everthing

Then out in the corner comes her unnies. All were holding a bouquet of red roses. Sooyoung handed her a bouquet and the rest put the roses beside the gogumas. Yuri handed her another note. “I’m sorry for not contacting you for 3 months. Each rose bears my apology for each day I didn’t call of text. Hope you can forgive me.” Please come out!” She shouted but still he was nowhere to be found.


Your warm eye expression
Your warm love
You are growing bigger inside me

You must have loved you
You must have waited for me
No matter hove much I made you hurt,

 your heart can’t leave me

There must be one love
My heart won’t change
The love I protected for you, now I can tell you everything
I love you

 

 Sometimes love, or tears will cause problems for us
I love you, I love you I just need you next to me

She then stood up and put the down the bouquet. She was determined to look for him.  But every exit was blocked by either a member of SNSD or CN Blue. She begs them to let her through but no one lets her. Tiffany then smiled at her, and led her back to her seat. “Just sit tight okay. Enjoy this night. Happy birthday.” Her unnie said.

 

I must still love you
I must be waiting for you
I could fool my mind, but not my heart

There must be one love
My heart won’t change
The love I protected for you, now I can tell you everthing
I love you 

 

Then the light went off again.

 

A/N: Thank you for all those people who suggested songs. It was really helpful. I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to cut it just right now, it’s just that I am leaving for Manila in a while and I still need to prepare my stuff for the whole week. I promise I will update as soon as I can. Don’t hate me please. For those who were confused, the italicized words are the song’s lyrics being sung at the moment Seohyun do those things in normal font. Sorry if it’s confusing but I hope you can picture what I want to say.  The last song that I used is “Still/As Ever” as sang by Lee Hongki for the OST of “You’re Beautiful.” Please do subscribe and comment. 

And please please do participate in the poll.