Volume 3 Chapter 3 "Jonghoon"

Playing Cupids

 

Silence...

More silence...

No one can seem to find the word to say next. Both mothers were anticipating an explosion from their children and both fathers were readying themselves just in case their son or daughter begin to physically attack their spouse but still silence... and more silence...

Jonghoon finally stood up, cleared his throat and said, “Umma, appa, auntie, uncle,” he said as he bowed to each parent, “if you may excuse me and my fiancé for a moment please.” And right then and there, Jonghoon pulled a very pale Yuri out of the living room and out the door. Soon both parents heard a car being started and speeding off away from their house.

Inside the car there were more silence... If you would look at Jonghoon, you’d think there’s nothing wrong except for the fact that he’s almost exceeding the speed limit of the highway. Yuri on the other would occasionally shake her head, smile sarcastically or hiss. Then after an hour of driving Jonghoon stopped and Yuri realized that they were by Han river. Jonghoon then got out of the car and went to Yuri’s side and opened her door. Yuri went out and still without a word both of them walked towards the river.

Jonghoon then looked around, it was a good thing, they were alone that time. It seem the heaven’s were on their side and realized they needed time to be alone, he then said, “You can scream your heart out now.”

Yuri too looked around and when she realized they were alone she began to scream on top of her lungs.

“AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!” She began. “You do it too.” She told Jonghoon.

“AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

“AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

Both of them shouted. They screamed and shout until their voices become hoarse. Then they stopped. They looked at each other and then began to laugh when they realized that they both looked stupid.

After a moment after their laughter subsided Jonghoon realized they needed to talk about their situation. “Knowing my mom, there would be no other choice for me but to go on with this engagement. When she fixed her mind onto something, there’s no way of changing it.” He told Yuri.

“My mom’s like that too. Maybe that’s one reason why they became best friends. Birds of the same feather flock together.” Yuri said while Jonghoon just nodded. “But to be honest, this is too old fashioned. Who in their right mind would engage their kids when they were still in the womb these days?”

“I know what you mean. I wasn’t expecting anything tonight. I thought we were just having a family dinner. I was even mad at Hongki when he made me change my outfit for tonight.”

“Hongki made you change your outfit?” Yuri began to ask and Jonghoon nodded. “That’s weird, Yoona too changed the dress I prepared for tonight. Do you think they know something?” Jonghoon’s face began to realize what Yuri was talking about. “As soon as I come home, I will kill Lee Hongki for not warning me with my mom’s scheme.”

“Same here with Yoona.” Yuri said. “But Jonghoon, no offense but it’s not that I don’t like you, but I was really hoping to marry the person that I’m in love with.”

“None taken, I too hoped to get married with someone I too am in love with.”

“But what should we do?” Yuri asked.

“What do you want to do?” Jonghoon asked Yuri. Yuri then become silent again. Both then looked at the river and sat down. Again silence and more silence...

“I think I know why our parents are acting up like this.” Yuri then said.

“What do you mean?” Jonghoon then turned his full attention to Yuri who’s still looking at the river.

“Since we’re ‘engaged’ as it is, can you be fully honest with me on this one question that I have?” Yuri continued.

“Okay, I promise I’ll be honest, what do you want to ask.”

Yuri then looked at Jonghoon in the eye and Jonghoon too stared at her, she then smiled then asked, “How many girlfriends have you had in a month’s time?”

Jonghoon was not expecting that question at all and began to smile mischievously, “Why are you asking this, you jealous?”

Yuri then smiled back at him, “In your dreams. Just answer the question.”

Jonghoon then looked towards the river and began to count with his hands. Yuri began to shake her head as Jonghoon counts. “I had two girlfriends.”

“Two girlfriends.” Yuri said. “How many girls have you dated aside from your so called ‘girlfriends?’”

 Jonghoon then smiled at her again and began shaking his head. “Nice question.” He said.

“Just answer the question.” Yuri said.

“Let’s see... aside from my two girlfriends, I had a date with six more girls.” He finally said.

“So all in all you had eight girls. Semi-serious and just flings.”

“Yah I was serious with my two girlfriends.”

“Yeah right. How long did they last? Two days?”

“No both lasted a week.” Jonghoon said as he scratch the back of his head.

“And you call that serious?”

The two of them began to laugh again. Jonghoon then said “Now it’s my turn to ask. How many boyfriends in a month?”

“None.” Yuri said proudly.

“Yah, I was completely honest with you, you should do the same.”

“I was being honest. It’s just that you don’t know to ask the right question.” Yuri said laughing at Jonghoon.

“Okay fine, how many guys did you date last month?” Jonghoon then asked.

Yuri smiled wickedly, “Now that’s the right question.”

Jonghoon can’t help but smile at the girl beside him. It was always fun spending time with her. He recalled their little fling on Jonghyun’s villa. It was one of those rare occasions when both knows what they want and at the end there were no hard feelings whatsoever.

“I dated twelve guys.” Yuri proudly answered.

Jonghoon then gaped at her. “You’re such a player!”

“No I’m not.” Yuri denied.

“Yeah right.”  Jonghoon said.

“Let me prove it to you.” Yuri then said. “Are you ready for the next question?”

“Bring it!” Jonghoon answered.

“With all those eight girls, how many stayed as your friends when the relationship ended?” Yuri asked.

Jonghoon then again looked at her and smiled, “I think I’m still friends with the six girls I dated.”

“But with your two girlfriends?”

“Let’s just say, we’re still not speaking to each other until now.” Jonghoon answered with a grin.

“That’s what I’m talking about, the twelve guys I dated remained my friends still after we had our dated.”

“You’re good girl.”

“I know.”

“Do you think that’s the reason why our mother’s suddenly decided to announce our engagement?” Jonghoon asked.

“I think that’s my mom’s reason. She told me before that boy’s will see me as an easy girl if I date around.” Yuri said without any emotions on her face.

“I guess you’re right. My mom lately kept on nagging me to get a descent girlfriend. She said that one day one of the girls that cried because of me will ruin my image.”

“Aren’t you scared that it might really happen to you?” Yuri asked with a tinge of concern in her voice but Jonghoon just shook his head.

“That’s why I chose girls on idol groups or celebrities to date. If they talk, they’d ruin themselves too.”

Yuri began to hit Jonghoon’s arm. “You are one evil person.” She said but Jonghoon just laughed at her.

“But Yuri, don’t you care with your image too? Boys would really think your easy if you date around.”

“Do you think I’m easy?”

“Honestly?” Jonghoon asked and Yuri nodded.

“A little.” Yuri again hit Jonghoons arms. “Yah stop that. You told me to be honest and I answered honestly.” Jonghoon said as he tried to defend himself from Yuri. As soon she calmed down, “I’m sorry for hitting you.”

“It’s okay,” Jonghoon said.

“It’s so unfair. When guys date around, it’s their trophies but when we girls date around people tend to look at us as flirts.” Yuri said and Jonghoon realized that she’s trying hard to keep her tears from falling.

“I’m sorry if I offended you. I think I said the wrong thing again, can I make it right?” Jonghoon said as he put his arms around Yuri. For some reason Yuri felt comforted rather than being taken advantage. “Okay.” She answered.

“What’s the reason why you like dating?” Jonghoon then said and saw a lone tear fell from her eyes. For some reason it broke his heart.

“I date because I enjoy the company of that person. Honestly most of my dates were friendly dates. But not everyone can understand that.”

“But you also date to find a boyfriend right?”

“Of course I do.”

“But?”

“But most of them thought that I’m easy since they say I have a ty image in SNSD since they say that I’m the hottest member in our group who usually wear the more revealing uniform. But it’s not my choice to wear those clothes, it’s our coordinators who gives us our uniforms. And for those boys, as soon as they show their real motives, I dump them.”

“But honestly, you’re really the hottest member in your group. I don’t think you can blame those boys.”

“Is that a compliment? Are you taking their side.”

“It’s a compliment and I’m not taking their side.”

“Honestly, I’m just a normal girl who’s looking for someone to love and would love me back.”

“Would you believe me if I tell you that we have the same reason why I too date around?”

“Meaning?”

“Not that I’m boasting but I know I’m good looking. I’m more than average when it comes too looks. I’m an idol though I’d rather be called a guitarist in a band, and I’m the leader of our group. Most of the girls that goes out with me has at least one of these reasons why they date me. Let’s just say, I too am looking for a real relationship.”

“Not boasting huh? You really think highly of yourself.”

“Not really. It’s just the plain truth. It’s not always a blessing to have this face.”

“I know what you mean. It’s not my fault to have this face and body built too.” The two became thoughtful of their confessions.

After a while. “So what do you think we should do?” Yuri asked.

“I think we should tell our parents that we will give this engagement a try.”

“And why would we do that?” Yuri still asked.

“First, because right now it’s the only choice that we have. Second, it would give our moms peace of mind. Third, I think I’ll enjoy dating the hottest member of SNSD,” this earned Jonghoon another slap on his arms but he just laughed it off. “And lastly, if in the end our parents realized that we’re deadly wrong for each other, I think they will cancel our engagement themselves.”

“Are we going to prove them wrong for deciding on this engaging us?”

“Nope.” Jonghoon honestly said.

“What?”

“I think we should at least give this engagement a chance.”

“Why? Did you suddenly fell in love with me?” Yuri joked.

“No.” Jonghoon answered and Yuri smiled. “But we’re both looking for the same thing. I think it’s a good thing that we can be honest with each other, it’s a good start.”

“But I still want to be married to someone I love.” Yuri insisted.

“Who knows, you might fall in love with me as you get to know me better or I might fall in love with you as I know you more.” Jonghoon said as he was staring at the river.

Yuri then looked at him intently. “You’re really serious about this? You really want to give this engagement a chance.”

Jonghoon then faced Yuri and said, “Yes I do.”

Yuri searched Jonghoon’s face for any signs of lying but found none.

“Okay, if we’re doing this, we’re doing this right. Let’s make things clear first.” Yuri said and Jonghoon gave her his full attention.

“Choi Jonghoon, are you in love with me?” Yuri asked.

“I’m not but I like you, at least I like what I know so far.” Yuri nodded at his honestly. “Kwon Yuri, are you in love with me.”

“Hell no.”

“But do you like me?”

“I like you as a person, I think I also like what I know so far.” Yuri honestly said.

“So we mutually like each other at least good enough to become good friends.” Jonghoon said.

“I agree with you on that. Yuri said.

“But since we’re engaged, we’re not allowed to date other people. Is that okay with you?” Jonghoon asked Yuri.

“I think that’s only fair. I agree, no dating other people. So we will go out on dates?”

“Yes, so that we can get to know each other more.” Jonghoon answered.

“Okay. I agree with that.”

“But what if in the process you fell in love with someone else or I fell in love with someone else?” Yuri then asked.

“Then we will both ask our parents to cancel the engagement. Promise me you’ll be honest with me at all times and I’ll do the same.” Jonghoon said and Yuri nodded in agreement.

“What if one of us falls for the other?” Yuri then became serious.

“Let’s have an agreement right now, we’re only getting married if BOTH of us will fall in love with each other. If only one falls in love, there will be no wedding. And whatever happens, you and I will always be friends.” Jonghoon suggested and Yuri thought about it hard. “I agree. It should be both of us in love with each other or nothing and be friends whatever happens.”

Jonghoon then stood up, and helped Yuri to stand up. He then offered his hand to Yuri and she shook his hand.

“Shall we start being friends?” he asked.

 She then smiled and said, “Let’s do that.”

 

*****************************************

A/N: Finally I was able to update! Yahoo!!!! I know it looks like their story is gonna be boring since there are both in agreement but don't be too hasty with your judgment, I think they will have a not so very smooth relationship. I just want them to at least have an understanding why they should do it. Usually in stories when the parents tell them they're engaged they get mad, at least they did get mad but they didn't hated each other... hehehehe... just something different I guess. I hope you'd like this. I promise, more Yongseo, Jonghyun-Yoona and Hongki next time. Our cupids will strike again!!! hahahaha... Please do subscribe and comment. You can be honest and tell me if you hate the story. Tell me, so that I can improve...