Chapter Fifty-Five

The Good, the Bad, and the Ones in Love

I've probably made some people very happy after this chapter...


Chapter Fifty-Five

Sungmin kept quiet after that and Donghae was angrily bouncing in his seat. “Sungmin, tell me. Tell me!” He repeated constantly and Sungmin sighed and shook his head. “Please…” Donghae tried his puppy eyes but they didn’t work because Sungmin was focusing on the road.

“It was your mother…” Sungmin told Donghae suddenly and the younger one was done with bouncing. He stared at the horizon and his mind seemed completely blank when Sungmin took a quick look.

“My mom?” Donghae muttered and then he looked at his hands, not understanding what was happening to him.

Sungmin nodded before narrating: “The first time I met Anne, I was two. I don’t remember much about it, just a warm hand that was my hair. It was special because the only one who had ever done that was my mother. But I soon forgot about it.” He smiled for a short time but soon his face went back to an indifferent expression.

“I lived my life quite humble. I didn’t get the expensive stuff that my older half-brother had and I had to do all the dirty jobs. By the time I was ten, both my mother and father had died, and I was practically all alone in this world. Kato used me as his personal slave and I had to quickly grow up. When I was thirteen, I couldn’t handle it anymore and I was looking for a way out; there was just one person, I knew that wasn’t in my brother’s clan…” Sungmin kept quiet and Donghae answered for him:

“My mom…”

“I was so independent back then that I managed to hack some money from Kato’s account and put it on an old one from my mom that we still hadn’t terminated. I managed to come all the way to her house in Korea but there was nobody home so I waited on the doorstep for four hours before Anne came home. She was carrying you on her back while Yunho held her hand and told her happily about his day. I was so jealous of him and of you. To have such a loving family was all that I ever wished for.”

There fell a tear from his eye and Donghae sniffed the lump in his throat away.

“She told me to come inside and I told her everything about me. She kept quiet for a bit and then said: ‘Sweetie, I know what kind of hard life you have lived. But I can’t keep you here…’ I was very disappointed and I was close to crying. She my cheek. ‘We need to get you to your mother’s family.’”

Donghae held his head a bit to the side: “Wait, wasn’t Eunhyuk your cousin from your mother’s side?” When Sungmin nodded, Donghae smiled: “Yunho told me about it.”

“In one way or another, I got into the Korean mafia. I couldn’t be happier, it wasn’t really that great, I had to work very hard but I was appreciated around there and so I grew up with Siwon and Eunhyuk. Every year on my birthday, I went to a little café and met up with Anne for an hour. She would always bring a little gift and every time I thanked her for what she had done and I said to her that I would always help her whenever she got in trouble.”

Sungmin drove around a corner and stopped talking for a minute. “It was inevitable that Kato would find me. And he did, it took him seven years but he found me. He wanted me to work for him again and I called Anne because I didn’t know what I should so now. She told me to tell Kato information but always make it a bit different so that he wouldn’t succeed in anything. That way I could protect the place where I wanted to stay but I could also keep an eye on Kato.”

Donghae nodded thoughtfully but was also surprised because he had never thought that his mother would be involved with Sungmin for so long.

“Four years later, your mother gave me a call. That was a first and I was a bit uneasy about it. She asked me if she still could use the favour. I said yes of course and she asked me to protect you. There wasn’t any explanation but I did my work nonetheless and kept an eye on you. But then I heard what Kato’s plan was, to kidnap Anne; it was all for the dragon’s eye. I was only asked to protect you but I couldn’t help but protect her too so I alerted Eunhyuk about the dragon’s eye. The thing had been missing already but when I told him that Anne maybe knew something, Eunhyuk wanted to get to her too.”

“But why did you take Kyuhyun?” Donghae asked him. That question had been bugging him for a long time already.

“Kyuhyun was simply in danger because he had many connections to you guys. I couldn’t let him get caught by my half-brother.”

“Then what about Henry?” Donghae got tears in his eyes when he thought back about it. “Kato wanted that Yoochun would kidnap you so that I could keep staying in Eunhyuk’s base because he thought that that was profitable. So he hid in my quarters. I thought that you would come alone to Kyuhyun and was planning to kill Yoochun as soon as he wanted to kidnap you, to protect you. But Henry was there at the time and since you were doing things secretly, I was surprised when I heard that gunshot because he wasn’t meant to shoot you. When we dashed out, the sight of Henry dying caused my reaction to delay a bit, allowing Yoochun to shoot Kyuhyun. Only after that, I managed to kill the guy.”

Donghae nodded and it was quiet for a longer time now. Donghae didn’t know how he should ask the last thing so he decided just to be blunt and ask it:

“Why did you help them to kidnap me then?”

“Because it was the only way, Kato began suspecting me and took matters into his own hands with the shadow walker. The shadow walkers also found a way on their own inside the base and took you. I recognised the way of handling things and gave Eunhyuk a hint about your position by telling him that the shadow walkers didn’t have a dark skin. So I didn’t really help them to let them kidnap you.”

“So when you were putting a blanket over me and wanted to lift me…” Donghae began and Sungmin perfectly finished: “I just wanted to bring you to safety.”  

“But there isn’t any danger anymore now, right?” Donghae asked, they were sure that Kato was dead so who could be targeting his life now?

“I don’t know for sure. I think that there are some people, well, there are enough who want the dragon’s eye but why your mom is specifically sending you away… I don’t know.” He admitted and Donghae nodded, becoming confused. What happened that his mom wanted to send him away all of the sudden?

Donghae had barely noticed that they were driving into another town and they were already close to the haven. Sungmin stopped the car and wanted to get out but Donghae stopped him:

“Can I just ask you one question before we go?” Sungmin nodded and Donghae took a deep breath before asking: “Do you love Kyuhyun?”  

Sungmin stared at the younger one for a bit before smiling widely: “Always will and always have…”

 


So to tell the few people who are still a bit confused: Yes, our dear Sungminnie never was a traitor in the first place. He was a double agent! And I believe that there was just one person who thought of that scenario, hah. You guys probably thought that I would never choose for such an obvious cliché, but I did which makes it a big surprise.

And then we have dear Anne. Some of you saw that and others not. You know, I really wanted to see your faces when you were reading this chapter. It was indeed a big revelation. But when you think about it, it doesn't seem so strange that she is sending Donghae away, after all he's in danger, but what was the motive? Ah, well ain't gonna tell you that.

Last thing that I do want to tell you: the answer to the last hard hint: I was using taking instead of kidnapping. Donghae used taking too in the first phrase but in a later one he used kidnapping which made Sungmin laugh. Yeah, it was hard but it was there, the indication that Sungmin wasn't doing anything bad to Donghae.

Next up: Eunhyuk comes home

If you like this story please let me know by commenting, subscribing or upvoting ^^!