Chapter Two

The Good, the Bad, and the Ones in Love

Chapter Two

“And then, she just walked out of the room while pulling me along!” Donghae said, after he had swallowed his potato. His older brother, Yunho laughed. “You’re like a little child, Donghae.” He and Donghae pouted, obviously not happy with the comparison.

His mother, who stood behind the counter, walked behind Yunho and slapped him (softly) on the head. “Don’t tease your brother like that, Yunho. He’s sensitive.” And that made his older brother laugh again. Well, technically Yunho wasn’t his older brother but his older half-brother. They both had a different dad.

Their mother had left Yunho’s dad when she found out that he would hit Yunho when she wasn’t home. That was when Yunho was three. A year later she was with Donghae’s dad and was pregnant with him. But Donghae’s father had disappeared in the middle of the night. Only to be never seen again. Whenever Donghae asked his mother about it. She became sad, so instead he chose to be silent and to hide his curiosity about his dad.

“Mom, don’t tease me like that!” Donghae whined and pouted. His mother sat down on the table and ruffled him on his head. “You have learned well, Donghae.” And he grinned. She wasn’t talking about studying for real but they once had read about a story about a very weak man and the stories motto was: ‘Who isn’t strong, has to be smart.’ Donghae had cried after that because he wasn’t strong but he wasn’t smart either. So his mother told him to be cute because if you were cute you could win from everybody. So he made that his motto: ‘Who isn’t strong nor smart, has to be cute!’

His mother took the first bite of the meal too, and after that she said to Yunho: “That man, just fell right into my trap. I can’t help that I’m so attractive…” She shrugged and Yunho smirked while he took the salt to put some on his potatoes. “No, but mom, you’re thirty-nine and you still behave like you’re nineteen.” He accused her and pointed his fork at her. They didn’t eat a lot of Korean food at home because his mother was always the one to cook and she said that she didn’t want to bother with all those side dishes. So instead they ate Western food most of the time.

“Well, if that’s what I need to do to get my son out of trouble then I will behave like that.” Yunho just sighed and shook his head at his mother’s answer, Donghae on the other hand grinned. He liked it that his mother behaved like that, well most of the time he did. Sometimes their mother behaved more like a sister to them than as a mother but when he really needed a mom then she would switch to that role as if it was nothing.

“So Yunho,” Donghae glanced at Yunho because the tone in his mother’s voice was indicating that she was either going to ask something embarrassing or something really embarrassing. “Yes?” Yunho carefully answered, his eyes met his mother’s but then quickly glanced back at his food. “How’s Jaejoong?” 

Yunho choked on air and Donghae helpfully patted his back. “H-he’s fine.” Yunho answered his mother after a while. His mother pouted and Donghae snickered, he liked it when his brother was the victim of his mother’s teasing. “You can tell me more, sweetie. Well, how’s my daughter in law?” Donghae burst out laughing while Yunho became as red as a tomato. “Mom, Jaejoong is a man.” He whined and Donghae’s mother leaned back with a huge smirk on her face. “You can’t deny his feminine side, sweetie. Just like we can’t ignore Donghae’s.” Donghae’s eyes widened while Yunho now smirked, obviously happy with the fact that he wasn’t the only one who got embarrassed.

“Mom!” Donghae whined and his mother just shook her head while sighing: “You’re just in denial, sweetie.” Donghae pouted and his mother ruffled his hair before continuing her dinner. It was no secret that his mother didn’t mind homouality at all. She was really open about everything and never ever had she been mad about it when both of her sons told her. On the contrary, she was just happy that they had found someone they loved or that they trusted her enough to tell her. Yunho even went to his mom for relationship advise which really represented how involved their mother was in their life, even when she was often out of the country for business.

Suddenly the front door was thrown open and everyone at the table stared at it in shock. They were living in an apartment flat so when you came in, you immediately came into the dining room which was connected to the kitchen and the living room. 

The three of them stared at the strangers in the doorframe. There were four men standing there. The one in the middle, who seemed like the boss, walked forward and Donghae saw his mother stand up in anger. With an icy voice, she said: “Eunhyuk.” The boss smirked and Donghae involuntarily cringed at the sight of it. It seemed so cold, so inhuman!

“It’s nice to see you again, Anne.” He replied as if they were casually meeting. Donghae saw his mother frown and then she looked at him and Yunho. “Yunho, please go with Donghae to my bedroom.” She told him and though her voice seemed anxious, it was still very stern and even a bit of confidence could be heard. “But-” Yunho tried to object but when he looked at Donghae, he complied to his mother’s wishes and pulled his little brother to his mother’s bedroom and closed the door.

Donghae climbed on the bed. He was shivering and absolutely not happy with what was happening. “Yunho, do you know who those people are?” His big brother shook his head but kept staying by the door to listen to what they were saying.

Donghae pulled his knees towards his chest in order to get some comfort but he knew that the only one who could provide that comfort, was his mom. He now wished that he had a father, so that his father could protect his mother because he knew that his mother wouldn’t let him or even Yunho protect her.

The voices in the living room were getting louder and it looked like they were having an argument. Donghae felt tears trail over his cheeks. He already didn’t like confrontation but the confrontation between his mother and that man was frightening to him and suddenly he felt arms around his shaking form. Yunho was embracing him to give him some kind of comfort. “They can’t hurt you, Donghae, I won’t let them.” He whispered in his little brother’s ear. “But mom…” Donghae showed his inner fear and Yunho’s grip became even tighter: “I won’t let them hurt her either.”

Suddenly an ear deafening shot was heard and not soon after that cries. The shot obviously came from a gun and Donghae grabbed Yunho’s shirt for comfort. With eyes full of tears he looked up to Yunho and he saw his big brother’s grim face. Yunho wanted to stand up but Donghae grabbed him even tighter. “Don’t go!” He whispered, Donghae desperately wanted his big brother to be safe. Then another gunshot was heard and Donghae jerked Yunho even closer. He began crying and his breathing became shallower. He couldn’t bear to let his source of comfort go, until Yunho softly whispered to him: “Donghae, maybe it’s mom who needs our help.” Then he let go and he immediately hugged his knees again. He cried softly and grabbed one of his mother’s pillows to find comfort. He found a bit when he smelled his mom’s scent on them. It was a very sweet and warm scent and he calmed down a bit.

Two minutes later Yunho came back into the room. Donghae wanted to look up, he wanted to ask about his mother but he was so scared to hear something that he didn’t want to hear that he stayed silent. Yunho softly pushed him in order to get some movement from Donghae but Donghae just kept hugging his knees and his mother’s pillow in between.

He heard his brother sigh and felt himself scooped up in his brother’s arms. Yunho brought him into the living room but didn’t let him see it. Instead he pushed Donghae’s head into his own chest. And walked out of the apartment after grabbing his own and Donghae’s coat.

Yunho knew that, after whatever happened in that apartment, they couldn’t stay there anymore.


I figured that it would be nice to update again since you guys have been so nice to subscribe this story :)

Next up: Jaejoong! And a few other things >:) (I'm  so mysterious!)