Departures

Seonsaengnim
Please log in to read the full chapter

Jessica’s P.O.V.

 

“Do you think she’d let you?”

 

I sighed as I repeated Krystal’s words over and over in my head. I knew she was right, Amber loved teaching, it was her calling, it’s the only thing she’d found a love for since she had to give up her dream on aero science and here I was asking her to give it up. I was going to move to get up when I heard someone sit down next to me. I looked over expecting to see Krystal, instead I was met with the concerned expression on Amber’s face.

 

“I’m sorry Jessica. Really, I didn’t mean to laugh baby, I just thought you were kidding. Please don’t be upset with me.” I smiled at her and kissed her cheek.

 

“I’m not upset with you Amber. I just… I wish…” I sighed not knowing what to say. Amber nodded and placed a small kiss on my lips before handing me a warm mug. I looked at the mug curiously, inside was a latte with a carefully crafted heart made out of foam in the center. “Amber?” She smiled at me.

 

“I was a barista for a while during college. I was pretty good at it too. I… I want to stay Jess, no matter what.” I held the mug tightly in my hands, not looking up at the younger girl as I processed her words. Could I let her do this? For me? “Jess?” I looked up at her sadly, and shook my head at her.

 

“You can’t baby.” She frowned at me not understanding.

 

“I thought… I thought this is what you wanted…” She trailed off and I shook my head at her placing a small kiss on her jaw before speaking.

 

“I do… but … I can’t let you do it.” Amber looked even more confused at my words.

 

“I don’t understand… don’t… don’t you want me to stay?” She seemed hurt at the thought of me not wanting her there and I quickly pulled her into a slow loving kiss before her cheek gently and speaking.

 

“I want you to stay Amber, I want to be with you forever… longer.” Amber smiled at me and moved to sit behind me, her arms wrapping around me from behind me as she rested her chin on my shoulder. I sighed and leaned back against her warm body.

 

“It’ll be okay Jess. I can work in the café until I can find something else, I’ll be your personal barista. You can come visit me during my shifts and I can make personal drinks just for you, no one else. I can visit you during my breaks at school and see some of the students, it’ll be great.” I listened to her words, noting as her voice got more excited as she spoke about how she could come see the students, and maybe sit in on my classes. I couldn’t do this. She wanted to please me so much that she couldn’t even tell that she was pushing her own dream away.

 

 I wrapped my hands around hers, squeezing them gently for a moment before sighing and turning my head to face her. Amber smiled brightly at me and I leaned up to kiss her. It was a soft innocent peck and when I separated from her, I couldn’t help but smile at the happy look on her face. Was that enough? Could I let her abandon her work just so I could be with her in moments like this? How long before that sweet smile of hers changed into something else? How long before she started to regret her decision? How long before she started to resent me for it?

 

“Amber?”

 

“Yeah baby?”

 

“I love you… you know that don’t you?” Amber smiled at me, leaning down to peck me on the forehead before speaking.

 

“Of course I know that. I love you too princess.”

 

“Good… Amber… I don’t want you to take that job.” Amber’s smile faded and she looked at me confused.

 

“But… Jess…I… why?” Amber was struggling to understand but I could see the sadness that was creeping into her eyes and it killed me to see. I turned around fully, wrapping my legs around her waist as I cupped her cheeks in my hands.

 

“Baby, I love you so much. I love you so much that I don’t know what I’m going to do without you here. But I can’t let you do this, this isn’t what you want. You love teaching, and it would be selfish of me to make you give that up. You make me so happy, no one has ever made me feel the way that you do, ever.  I want you to stay, I want to be by your side forever, I want more than anything to spend the rest of my life with you. I want all of those things, but there’s one thing, only one thing in the world that I want more than any of that. Do you know what that is?” Amber shook her head in response.

 

“I want you to be happy. I want you to do the things you want to do, I want you to fulfill your goals. I want you to continue to do what makes you ha

Please log in to read the full chapter