Queen of 31

More Like Me: The Prequel
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Last Night.

“Do you wanna play cards?” Sooyoung asked innocently.

“I don’t want to play cards. I wanna sleep.” Jessica responded.

Sooyoung stood up from her bed and switched the lights on. “Sooyounggggg..” Jessica whined softly as her eyes were blinded by the lights. Sooyoung then went to her bag pack and took out a deck of cards. She then jumped on Jessica’s bed carefully, trying not to injure her sprained ankle.

“Sooyounggggg..” Jessica whined as she covered her face with the thick blanket.

“Come onnnnnn.” Sooyoung whined back. “Just one game I promiseee!” Sooyoung whined again.

“Aishh, fine!” Jessica agreed. She slowly sat on her bed in front of Sooyoung who was smiling widely.

“I’m so gonna crush you. FYI, I am the reigning champion of cards in my family.” Sooyoung said proudly while she was trying to deal the cards with her left hand and her other four fingers from her right hand. Jessica just rolled her eyes after hearing the statement.

“We’ll see after this.” Jessica said. “So, how do you guys actually play it? Do you play Poker?” Jessica asked.

“Hmm no.” Sooyoung mumbled.

“Blackjack?” Jessica asked again. She mentioned all the common ways people play cards.

“Hmm no. I don’t know how to play poker or blackjack” Sooyoung mumbled innocently.

“You don’t know how to play poker and blackjack??” Jessica was so surprised. “Then what do you guys play then??” Jessica asked weirdly.

“I’m the reigning champion of 31.” Sooyoung revealed. “What the heck is a 31??” Jessica asked back. She had never played 31 before. It’s the first time she had ever heard it.

“You don’t know how to play 31? It’s like the coolest game ever!” Sooyoung exclaimed loudly.

“31 is like a very fast and challenging game!” Sooyoung exclaimed. “Alright, teach me how to play it.” Jessica was looking at Sooyoung dealing the cards.

“Alright, to start off, each player will get three cards faced down.” Sooyoung started to explain. “Once dealt, the players will look at their cards.” Sooyoung continued. Sooyoung actually gave Jessica and herself three cards each and the rest of the cards she piled it in the middle.

“Okay and then?” Jessica asked as she took her three cards and looked at it.

“We will take turns picking up a card from the pile in the middle.” Sooyoung pointed to the remaining pile of cards. “Why do have to pick a card from the pile?” Jessica asked.

“The objective of the game is to have a sum of 31 or closer to 31 in your hand before the other player does.” Sooyoung explained.

“Ohhh.. This is easy. It’s similar with blackjack.” Jessica replied. “Hmm I don’t know about blackjack but this is like the most challenging game ever!” Sooyoung retorted.

“The game requires basic addition Sooyoung. What is so challenging about that?” Jessica questioned back.

“Can we just play now?” Sooyoung frowned.

“Yeah sure. Let me deal the cards.” Jessica took all the cards and dealt herself since she was starting get impatient looking at Sooyoung did it earlier.

“Oh wait, the numbered cards are worth their face value. King, queens and jacks worth..” Sooyoung was about to explain when Jessica interrupted.

“Worth 10 Sooyoung I know. An ace card can be used either 1 or 11 right?” Jessica asked.

“Yes.” Sooyoung nodded her head. Jessica quickly dealt the cards and straightaway distributed three cards each. “Eh wait, the game has no betting involve?” Jessica asked.

“Hmm no.” Sooyoung mumbled.

“Where’s the fun in it then??” Jessica questioned. She did questio

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter