Nail Bed

More Like Me: The Prequel
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“I’m gonna die!! I’m gonna dieee!!” Sooyoung cried out loud in the clinic. They were waiting for the doctor to look at her thumb. There was clearly blood inside her fingernail and she was clearly freaking out. Her thumb was throbbing in pain. She had never experienced something that painful before.

“Sooyoung, you are not going to die.” Jessica replied trying to calm her down. Jessica was the one who drove to the nearby clinic and then she got Krystal a cab asking the girl to go home since it was already late. Although Krystal insisted to stay at the clinic, Jessica refused to let her.

“Awwwww!! Awwwww!!” Sooyoung screamed as she was holding on to her thumb, putting pressure to it. Jessica felt so guilty with what had happened. It was totally unexpected.

“What is taking the doctor so long??” Jessica stood up and went to the counter. “Sorry Ms, the doctor is with a patient at the moment.” One of the nurses responded.

“I need someone to look at her thumb right now!” Jessica exclaimed loudly. The nurses were somehow afraid and one of them straightaway went inside the doctor’s room.

“Please hang in there okay.” Jessica said softly to Sooyoung who was in so much pain.

“I cannot anymoreeee!! I’m going to dieeee!!” Sooyoing cried again.

“Oh boy..” Jessica sighed looking at Sooyoung. The time was already 11.45PM and her hope of sleeping early that night had shattered. “Ms Jesssicaaaa, I think I’m going to diee.” Sooyoung looked at Jessica with her teary eyes.

“Sooyoung, you are not going to die. Believe me.” Jessica said as she placed her hand behind Sooyoung’s back. “I just need you to be a bit strong.” Jessica said. All the screamings were certainly giving her a headache.

“Ms Choi Sooyoung.” The nurse called for her name. “Alright, let’s go.” Jessica held on Sooyoung’s arm.

“I’m scared I’m scaredddddd..” Sooyoung started to whine. “Sooyoung, I really don’t want to be here all night, be brave for me please.” Jessica pleaded. Jessica basically had to push the girl inside the doctor’s room.

“It was your voice just now?” The doctor smiled while looking at Sooyoung. “Doctor, her thumb was slammed to a car door.”

“Let me see.” The doctor softly took Sooyoung’s hand so that he could get a closer look to the thumb. “Hmm..” He was examining it. The whole fingernail had started to turn dark due. Sooyoung’s tears were overflowing her cheek. “Please fix it doctorrr..” Sooyoung whined.

Jessica couldn’t help but to smile looking at Sooyoung like that.

“You are feeling the pain because of the pressure of this pooled blood.” The doctor said. “I may need to do an x-ray just to make sure that the nail bed or the surrounding tissues are not damaged.” The doctor said again.

“It can be that bad?” Jessica asked the doctor. She thought it was just a normal pain whenever your nail got slammed to a door. She had experienced it before. Everyone has experienced it.

“It could happen. To be honest this doesn’t look good because it’s bleeding under a large area of the nail surface. I’m guessing the nail bed is injured.” The doctor took a closer look at the thumb again and showed the area to Jessica.

“What will happen to me if the bed is damage?” Sooyoung asked innocently; although she didn’t understand whatever that was.

“Nothing will happen to you.” Jessica quickly responded not to make the girl scared.

“If that happens, the nail needs to be removed and she might need to get stitches.” The doctor whispered slowly to Jessica.

“Oh boy..” Jessica sighed. The moment she heard the word “stitches”, she was reminded of the song from Shawn Mendes. (kidding lol). The moment she heard the word “stitches”, she became even more worried. How could something like this happen tonight?

He then stood up from the chair and asked one of the nurses to help him on the x-ray. The doctor performed an x-ray to the injured thumb and he was right, Sooyoung’s nail bed which is the formative layer of cells underlying the fingernail was injured. Luckily, there was no broken bone damage.

“Sooyoung, your nail bed is damaged and it needs to be repaired.” The doctor informed Sooyoung. Sooyoung then looked at Jessica, she was about to cry even more. “Sooyoung, it will be fine.” Jessica said softly as she wrapped her arm around the girl’s shoulder.

“Yes it will. I will give you anesthesia so you won’t feel anything.” The

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter