Monday

More Like Me: The Prequel
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

*TUT TUT TUT TUT TUT (sound of an alarm in case you are wondering.)

“Aishh..” The person groaned loudly on the bed.

It was Monday morning, the day that almost ever y one in the world loathed the most.  As for Sooyoung, she hated all five days, no exception. There was no difference between Monday and Tuesday or even between Monday and Wednesday, it’s just the same. It’s just another day. Unless the day was pay day, then it would be the best day for her. So in one month, there would only be one day that she loved the most, which was the day that her salary would be in.

Sooyoung had been working in a call center in the biggest bank in South Korea, the Central Bank of Seoul for nearly 6 years. It was supposed to be a temporary job, at least that’s what she told her mother 6 years ago, and then again 5 years ago. If not mistaken, she said the same thing again to her mother and sister 4 years ago. Easier to say, she had been telling the same thing every year to practically everyone she knew.

Working in a call center was just big time. The other day, she googled something on the net.

 15 Signs You’ve Been Working In A Call Center Way Too Long

Nothing gives you joy anymore You spend 70% of you day wondering how the hell you ended up with such a horrible job. You spend the other 30% of you day wishing the phone system would go down. You're too satisfied when you "accidentally" hang up on a customer. You want to SCREAM when a call comes in minutes before your shift ends. You loathe when a customer tries to initiate small talk, mainly because it's awkward. You experience pure ecstasy whenever you have time off the phone. You have trouble sounding sincere on the phone whenever a customer complains.         

She just couldn’t get herself reading all 15 signs because out of the nine signs she had read, all nine were indeed true. It was so true she felt like hanging herself at that point. For no reason, she felt scared after reading the signs.

Apart from all the iness of working there, there was one thing that kept her sane and happy. The pay! Since she had been working there for quite some time, the salary that she earned had gotten quite high. There were multiple times that depression had taken over her, she wanted to quit, but the company refused to let her go, so they offered more money to her.

“You should try to quite every month.” One of her colleague, Hyoyeon suggested to her.

She had bought practically everything with the money she earned from working there. She bought a decent apartment, a small compact car, her first lame smartphone and her most beloved ps4. Actually, she had bought a lot more stuff, these were the only thing the author could think of at the moment. Oh yes, she bought a waffle maker last month. She had been dreaming of owning a waffle maker her whole life.

She was so proud of the waffle maker; she even invited her team from the office to come by her house after work for a waffle party. Of course only Hyoyeon and her other colleague Yuri, showed up. Oh yes, her proud mother showed up as well. With this month’s salary, she was planning to get a pressure cooker for her mother since it’s her mother’s birthday month.

*TUT TUT TUT TUT

Sooyoung roughly pressed her alarm clock on the small table next to her bed. She was so sleepy, so so sleepy since she slept very late last night playing her ps4. She bought a new game, she just couldn’t resist to play it. She slept around 5.30AM and her alarm was set at 7.45AM. Thank god the office was just 15minutes away. She got the morning shift for the next 3 months so she would start at 9am till 6pm.

“I DON’T WANNA GO TO WORRRKRKKKKKKK..” She was whining to herself on the bed while kicking all her pillows down the bed. Then she pretended to cry to herself. “Mummyyyyyyyyyy” She was still whining and rambling to herself.

*TUT TUT TUT TUT TUT TUT

The next alarm rang. She would always set two alarms every day. The first at 7.45AM, the next one was 7.50AM. She would give herself 5 minutes to whine, scream and kick the pillows on the bed every day after the first alarm.

She sat on the bed, and then scratched her head. “mummyyyyyyyyy!!!!” Again, she whined non stop on the bed.

“I WANT TO SLEEEEEEEPPPPPPP!” 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter